• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 1,788 Views, 394 Comments

Pony-Z - Black Light



Ponies, Humans, Friendship, and Magic. What more do you need?...How about Guns, Zombies, and an Apocalypse? Yeah, that sounds about right.

  • ...
13
 394
 1,788

Chapter 28 - Losing Humanity

Losing Humanity

Pete sat in the dinning room sharpening his sword. Jay and Liz sat across from him eating some beans from a bowl.

Jay was scowling. "God Damnit, I'm tired of eating beans." He said staring at his bowl.

"Well it's all we brought with us, so you need to get over it. I don't want to start imposing of the princess and asking for meals. I'm not even sure we could eat their meals even if we wanted to." Pete told him.

"Yeah, yeah." Jay said dismissively, returning to his food.

There was a soft knock at the door.

The three humans looked up. "Twilight, Princess. What can we do for you?" Pete asked greeting the two ponies walking in.

"Well...we... we wanted to discuss the trip you went on yesterday." Twilight said.

"I suppose you would have some questions about it" Pete said laying his sword on the table. "Well, ask away."

"So...what exactly happened?" Luna asked.

"We arrived and fended off some zombies. Then this pony appeared. We talked to him. He was actually very polite, but...Well he was too far beyond any help. So I did what I had to do to keep the damages to a minimum." Pete told her.

"And by that you mean you-you killed him." Twilight said.

"Correct." Pete told her.

Twilight just looked away. "How could you kill a pony like that? He wasn't even infected." Twilight murmured.

"I could because if I didn't, too many would get hurt.." Pete told her.

"How could you know that?" Twilight questioned her voice almost breaking.

"Twilight...He offered me pony for a snack." Pete told her.

"Wha-what?" She responded with a gasp.

"When we started talking, he offered to give me some pony meat for the trip back home." Pete said bluntly.

"He-he truly offered you pony?" Luna asked.

"Yeah, like I said. He had gone beyond our help. He had given into his darker thoughts, and began to hurt others to ensure his survival." Pete said.

"Did-did you have to kill him though? Certainly you could've detained him and just brought him back. Locking him up so he wouldn't hurt anypony." Twilight said to him.

"Yes, I could've locked him away, but that wouldn't of kept his idea's from spreading." Pete explained. "Ponies would hear about him, at first they would wonder how someone could even begin to think like that, but as time goes on they would experience more and more tragedy. Soon they'll think back to him and wonder what it is like. A few may give in and try it, and that is what I'm trying to avoid." Pete told her.

"How could the ponies here even think about that? They would never turn to...to...to that." Twilight responded.

"I'm sure the same could be said of him, before he gave in." Pete said. "It's truly impossible to see into the soul of another and know who or what they might become."

Twilight was silent, staring at the floor.

"Is there anything you would like to add?" Pete asked Luna.

"There is one thing I would like to ask you." Luna answered. "You seem very knowledgeable about all this. You've had to deal with somepony like this before haven't you?"

Pete was silent for a moment. "...Back on Earth, we dealt with a lot of people." Pete began to explain. "We met our fair share of cannibals. Hell there were even a few that we liked, even after we found out the truth."

"So why did you like them, but not this pony?" Luna asked.

"Because they may have given in, but they hadn't let go of their morals." Pete told her.

"Could you elaborate?" Luna responded.

"Certainly, There was a cannibal we met. He wasn't a bad person. He understood that we didn't like the idea of eating another human. He respected in and never ate in front of us. And all the meat that he had, he got from hunting down people who truly deserved death. Men who had become raiders, bandits, murderers. They are who was on his menu." Pete said. "He never let go of his morals, and he wasn't a bad person...but, not everyone who's given in is like him." Pete said his tone shifting. "There was one man we met. A sick and twisted man. He believed the less time the meat had, the better it would taste."

"Meaning?" The princess asked.

"Meaning, he enjoyed young meat, he enjoyed eating children." Pete said. both Luna and Twilight gasped looking horrified. "He is one of the worst people imaginable, and yet there can be so much worse."

"What of the pony you met? What was his...favorite?" Twilight asked he word catching in her throat.

"Never got a chance to ask." Pete told her. He turned his head and looked at a clock on the wall. "If you'll excuse me, I have training to attend to." Pete said as he stood up. Taking his sword he sheathed it and began walking towards the training grounds. Twilight and Luna followed behind silently, while Jay and Liz were left to their meals that now didn't seem so appetizing.

Pete arrived at the training grounds and wasted no time in starting the training. He gave instruction and practices. Eventually he called for Shining Armor to spar him. The two squared off and began to fight. Pete took an early lead putting Armor on the defensive, but Armor didn't falter and retaliated. After two minutes straight of exchanging blows Armor's blade found itself resting against Pete's neck.

Pete gave a small smile. "You've improved." He said. "Good, then we can move on to a bit different training." He said. "Twilight!" Pete said calling over the mare.

She walked over slightly confused. "Yeah? What do you need?" She asked.

"Do you still remember the basic fighting techniques I taught you?" Pete questioned her.

"Oh course." She answered.

"Wait, you taught her fighting techniques?" Armor asked with some annoyance.

"Well she's a stubborn mare and probably going to get herself into trouble again eventually. I thought it best if she was prepared for it." Pete said to him.

"Hey!" Twilight said irritated.

Armor chuckled slightly.

"Anyway, Twilight you're going to help me with this next bit of training." Pete told her.

"Alright." Twilight said with a little hesitation.

"Armor get ready for your next match." Pete said.

Armor walked to one side and waited for his opponent. Twilight began to walk towards the outskirts of the ring.

"Where do you think you're going?" Pete asked.

Twilight was slightly surprised. "Um, to the ringside so I can get a good view. You said you wanted my help right?" She asked.

"Yes, I did. Now get in the circle. You're Armor's next match."

"WHAT?!" The siblings exclaimed at the same time.

"I'm not going to fight my sister." Armor said glaring intently at Pete.

"So what you're saying is, You're going to allow yourself to die?" Pete asked him.

"No, what does fighting my sister have to do with survival?" Armor asked.

"This is the next stage of your training. You must be prepared to fight anyone, because if someone you care about gets infected, they will not hesitate to kill you. You must be willing to do the same." Pete told him.

The two flinched back slightly. "I-I don't think I can do this." Armor said.

"It is not weakness of body that causes people to die, It is a weakness of their will." Pete told him. "If you are not willing to fight, you will certainly die no matter how strong you are." Pete told him.

"But my own sister?" Armor asked.

"Yes, you must be prepared to fight anyone. If you can't even spar your own sister, then I'm not sure you're cut out for this training." Pete told him. "I'll be kind and let you have until tomorrow. Either come back here ready to fight, or don't bother coming to training anymore."