• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 1,787 Views, 394 Comments

Pony-Z - Black Light



Ponies, Humans, Friendship, and Magic. What more do you need?...How about Guns, Zombies, and an Apocalypse? Yeah, that sounds about right.

  • ...
13
 394
 1,787

Chapter 26 - Adapting

Adapting

Pete stood at the end of one side of the training grounds a set of three targets sitting along the other side. He had in his hands an assault rifle and a shotgun strapped to the back of his waist. He would fire three rounds then take out a pair of binoculars and look at the targets. He repeated this process many times over.

Princess Luna, the elements, and the two humans stood a small ways away from him watching. The ponies covering their ears as he was shooting.

"What does he think he's doing?" Luna asked complaining.

"Well he's trying to get back in the swing of shooting again." Jay told her.

"Back in the swing?" Twilight questioned.

"Yeah, this is the first time in who knows how long that he's even tried to fire a gun." Jay explained.

"Really?" Twilight responded surprised. "They seem so useful, so why doesn't hasn't he used one before now?"

"Pete had a bad experience with a gun at one point. It jammed on him and stopped firing while a hoard was closing in on him. He barely go out alive. He didn't really trust guns from then on. Choosing to use knives and blades instead." Liz told her. "As for why he's taken then up now... I think it's because Matt entrusted his guns to Pete, and Pete doesn't want to let that gift go to waste."

Twilight nodded her head in understanding. Pete began firing again and the ponies grimaced and covered their ears. "How can you just stand there so nonchalantly? That gunfire is painful." Twilight said to the two humans.

Jay chuckled. "Well for one I'm fairly certain you have more sensitive ears that us. Secondly, being accustomed to gunfire kind of comes in the job description of 'zombie slayer'." Jay joked.

Luna just rolled her eyes. "I can see why he asked us to put a sound dampening barrier around the training field. Any infected even in the general area of the castle would hear the shots." She said.

Pete took the assault rifle and slung in across his back. Reaching down he pulled the shotgun in front of him. He began to approach the targets.

Jay smiled. "Be prepared. The shotgun is a bit different from an assault rifle." He told the mares.

"Different how?" Twilight asked.

There was a sudden loud explosion like sound around them that caused most of them to jump. They turned and looked at the field. Pete stood some ways away from the targets. Two were exactly as they had been, but the third. Well, the third didn't really exist anymore.

The mares' eyes were wide as they looked at the completely obliterated target.

Jay gave a content sigh. Ah the shotgun, every zombie killers dream weapon." He said happily. "Too bad Matt never let me use it, I wonder if Pete would?"

"Pete doesn't trust you with a can opener, not after what happen last time." Liz said.

"Hey! We promised we would never speak of that again." Jay told here with an intense glare.

"Wait, what happened?" Twilight asked.

"Let's just say there's a reason only Pete and I cook for us." Liz told her.

"And that reason is?" Twilight questioned.

"Let's just say if you like your kitchen exploded, Jay is the person to talk to." Liz answered.

Jay just looked away trying to ignore the laughing mares.

Pete began to make his way over to the group. Holstering the shotgun behind him again. "Thanks for the barrier princess. I needed the practice." He said to her.

"It was not a problem." Luna said as her horn glowed faintly before going out. "But next time, I think some earplugs would be appreciated."

Pete gave a soft smile.

"So what's the plan for the rest of today?" Jay asked.

Pete shrugged. "Is there any chaos or enclaves that need looking into?" He asked the princess.

She shook her head. "None, it's been unnaturally quiet. It's a welcome relief, but slightly troubling."

Pete nodded. "I know that feeling." He stretched his arms above his head. "Well baring a sudden attack I think I'm going to go explore the rest of the city. I haven't spent that much time outside the castle, so I think it would be a welcome change of scenery." He said.

"I'll go with you." Twilight said. "I grew up in the city, I could show you around if you'd like."

"That sounds good." Pete responded. "And what about you two?" He asked the two humans.

Jay yawned. "I think I'm going to catch up on my sleep. It's been forever since I've had a real bed, but I've hardly had a chance to really use it." He said.

"I'm more interested in the hot water." Liz said. "I'm going to go take a nice long bath. It'll feel nice to be clean for a change." She said.

Pete rolled his eyes. "You two are just love to be pampered don't you?" He asked.

"Hey, with the way we've been living for the past few however long I think we've earned ourselves a little pampering." Jay told him.

Pete waved a hand dismissively. "Yeah, sure you do." He turned away as the two humans walked away. "So where to first Sparkles?" He asked as he stared towards the castle's exit.

"Sparkles? Really?" Twilight asked as she followed after him.

"Well it get's boring just calling you Twilight all the time." He told her.

She rolled her eyes. "I swear between you and Pinkie you're going to drive me insane."

"And where's the problem in being insane? I'm thoroughly enjoying it." Pete told her.

Twilight sighed. "Anyways, I'm thinking starting at the market would be a good place, you'll always find something that's useful when you look through there." Twilight said.

"Very well then lead the way." He said as he followed behind her.

The two left the castle and weaved their way through the buildings and streets leading to the market. It helped that everypony was giving Pete a wide berth. He may have been staying in Canterlot, but not many ponies had seen him before.

Pete and Twilight arrived at the market in good time and began to browse through. They stopped at a few stands to examine what they had to offer. Pete had stopped at one of the stands and looked at a sword that was resting on the counter. He was currently in a discussion with the owner about the price.

"The sword is nice and all, but I don't think it's worth that much." Pete said.

"I assure you sir, it's worth every bit." The merchant said.

Pete picked up the sword and removed it from it's sheath. He shook his head slightly. "Well I don't really think so. The sword curves slightly making in a bit weaker. It's hilt if too heavy and makes the entire sword off balanced. The blade itself seems fragile. It's hardly worth anything as a weapon. The only real use for a weapon like this is collection, and there aren't that many out there who are still focused on collections nowadays." Pete said to the merchant.

The merchant bit his lip and began to sweat slightly. "...Alright, alright. We'll do it your way." He said as Pete handed over a bag of bits.

Pete looped the sword around his waist as he and Twilight began to head back towards the castle.

Twilight was just watching him with some amazement. "I didn't know you knew that much about swords." She said to Pete.

"Well they've been my weapon of choice for a long time, I know a good bit about them." He told her.

She nodded slightly in understanding. "So, why did you buy the sword then. You said it didn't have much use as a weapon, and I'm pretty sure you don't collect them." Twilight said.

"Well Sparkles, you see I know a lot about swords, so by extension I know when a seller isn't fully aware of the beauty he has in his possession." He told her, she just looked at him confused. "In short, Everything I said about the sword was a lie. It's one of the best weapons I've ever laid my eyes on." He told her smiling.

She just looked shocked. "That-that seems rather mean." Twilight said.

"Hey, growing up on the street if you see something that will help keep you alive, you try and get it for as cheap as you possibly can." He told her. "And I can assure you, this sword is definitely going to help me stay alive." He said happily as he patted the hilt.

"I don't think I'll ever understand you." Twilight said.

"Good, it makes it that much more fun." Pete told her. She stuck her tongue out at him. "Wow real mature."