• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 1,787 Views, 394 Comments

Pony-Z - Black Light



Ponies, Humans, Friendship, and Magic. What more do you need?...How about Guns, Zombies, and an Apocalypse? Yeah, that sounds about right.

  • ...
13
 394
 1,787

Chapter 34 - Evolution

Evolution

Pete stood in the medical wing leaning against a wall. Jay stood next to him with a pondering look.

"We've run analysis after analysis and gotten the same results ever time. It's not caustic enough to actually hurt, but you say that other zombies are attracted to it?" Jay asked Pete.

"That's right, The zombie that found it's way to us seemed like it was smelling something." Pete answered.

"Well it makes sense. I don't know exactly what to call it, but I can tell you what that stuff is made up of. It's got a mixture of bile, mucus, and a few other bodily excrements. Basically if it smells it's in the mix." Jay told him.

Pete sighed and rubbed his head. "This is gonna be trouble. This entire time I've been training the guard to deal with close range fighting. I never expected to have a real need to teach them too many long range tactics since I had hoped the wouldn't be crazy enough to pick a fight with a huge horde, but now...That thing is countering everything I've been teaching." Pete rubbed his temple. "Any chance that this was the only one of it's kind?" Pete asked.

Jay shook his head. "This type of thing isn't something that would be specific to a single infected. Based on what we've learned and what you told us it looks like this is going to be something that's specific to unicorn infected. I don't expect all of the unicorns to turn into one of those, but it would be stupid to assume that was the only one." Jay answered.

Pete clenched his hand into a fist. "Great...any chance that the other subspecies will develop something like this?" Pete asked.

Jay shrugged. "I'm a doctor of the physical body, whatever those changes were they're caused by magic, not my field." Jay told him.

"And your best guess?" Pete responded.

"...I fully expect them to change somehow. I doubt changes that severe would be limited to only the unicorns, and that might not even be the only change they experience." Jay answered.

Pete pulled his fist back and punched the wall behind him. "So your saying were in the dark about what were up against?"

"Basically." Jay said.

Pete stood silently for a moment. "I'm going to retract the guards along the wall. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to have to ask you and Liz to pull some guard duty with me until we get more information." He said eventually.

"I'm perfectly fine with it, but I don't think the three of us can cover that entire wall." Jay responded.

"Well get Armor and a few other of the advanced guards to take some positions. I trust them to know how to adapt more than the ones out there right now." Pete said.

"I'll go find Liz." Jay said starting to walk off.

"I hope you know if we find another different type you're going to have to do some experimentation on it too?" Pete told him.

"I know, I'm almost even looking forward to it." Jay responded.

Pete walked out after Jay, making his way towards the training ground.

As Pete approached the training ground he saw the guards training and Armor standing to the side talking with Luna.

Luna caught a glimpse of Pete as he approached and turned to face him. "Pete, good you're here. What did the tests say?" Luna asked him.

Pete crossed his arms slightly. "Basically, we can expect more of them, and others like it." Pete answered.

"Others like it?" Armor questioned.

"Zombies that are different from a normal infected." Pete clarified. "We expect at least one different type per sub-species probably more."

Luna and Armor's eyes widened slightly. "That's not good." Luna said.

"Exactly, and that's why I'm going to request that you retract all the current guards from the wall." Pete said to her.

"Retract the guards? But we need more protection at a time like this." Luna responded.

"I know, that's why Liz, Jay, and I are going out there personally." Pete told her.

"Just the three of you?" Armor asked.

"No, what's the smallest number of guards it would take to cover the whole wall?" Pete said.

Armor thought for a moment. "It would be difficult, but I think twenty would probably be able to cover the whole wall. They'd have to be spread pretty wide and look out at more." Armor told Pete.

"Alright, then get your gear and choose sixteen other guards to come with too. We're going to be the new wall guards." Pete said.

"We'll be putting some of our best guards on wall duty. What happens if there's something outside that needs to be taken care of?" Armor asked.

"What would you rather have happen. The scavenge crew has a little bit of a more difficult time, or all of Canterlot falls?" Pete responded.

"Seems slightly severe." Armor said.

"Not at all. We're up against an enemy that we know hardly anything at all about. You first have to secure your home before you can consider leaving it." Pete told him.

"I suppose." Armor said.

Luna thought for a moment. "I agree with your logic on this. As soon as the other guards are selected I'll call the other's in and you can take their place." She said.

"Alright. I'm going to get ready. Have the guards meet here fully suited. Tell them to pack things to keep them energized there's no telling how long we might be out there for." Pete told them.

Armor nodded and walked out onto the training field and started addressing the training guard.

Pete went to the castle and gathered up his things. He came back out not long after and sat down against the wall of the barracks and fell asleep shortly after.

Pete was awoken be a harsh shaking. He looked up and saw Jay with one hand on his shoulder. "It's time to go." He said.

Pete nodded and stood up. He turned his attention to the guards with them. "Okay Liz, Jay, Armor, and I will be taking four separate sides. If you see a normal infected ignore it unless it tries to get in. If you see anything that isn't normal start heading towards whichever of us four is closest to you. When you run into another guard tell them a basic description of what you saw and where. We'll assign the different sections numbers to get a better idea. As soon as you inform another guard return to your post. Once the information reaches one of us we'll come to the spot and take a closer look at whatever it is. Understood?" Pete said to the group.

"Sir!" The guards said raising their hoof to their head in salute.

"Good, then get to a section and start watch." Pete said. The guards all hustled away to get to their posts.

Pete walked over to Armor, Liz, and Jay. Jay was holding four black boxes in his hands. He handed one out to each of it.

"Alright, keep in contact. If anything comes up report it." Pete said. He turned to Armor. "Do you know how to use a walkie?" He asked pointing to the device.

"Yeah, I've heard you explain it before during the incident." Armor answered.

"Alright then. Looks like we're all set." Pete said.

"Hey Pete, are there really more of those different types out there?" Armor asked.

"All signs point to that being the most likely answer." Pete answered. "I hope we're wrong though."

The other three gave small nods and the four walked off in different directions towards their selected spots. They all knew one thing.

This was going to be a long watch.