• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 1,788 Views, 394 Comments

Pony-Z - Black Light



Ponies, Humans, Friendship, and Magic. What more do you need?...How about Guns, Zombies, and an Apocalypse? Yeah, that sounds about right.

  • ...
13
 394
 1,788

Chapter 29 - Gaining Infamy

Gaining Infamy

Pete stood in the middle of the training ground. Standing next to him was Twilight. The two were in a heated argument.

"What were you thinking asking my brother to fight me?!" Twilight ranted.

"If he is incapable of going a single sparing match with his own sister do you think he'll be able to survive?" Pete responded calmly.

"He's proven time and time again that he can survive out there. I mean, he even saved your life!" Twilight said to him.

"Yes, in an incident that almost got him killed." Pete told her.

"But he didn't, he made it out, with you, and came back." Twilight said.

"Luck and Ideals can only carry one so far before they fall."

"That's why you have friends to help you. They pick you up when you fall." Twilight told him.

"And when your friends aren't there for you?" Pete questioned.

"My friends will always be there when I need them." Twilight claimed.

"And when their not?" Pete asked again.

"I told you, they-"

"Live in an imperfect world. They would always wish to help you as best they could, but sometimes they won't be able to. So I ask you again. What happens when their not there?" Pete told her.

Twilight was silent. She looked away from him with anger. "I can't believe you. You used to be much kinder, now...now your just being cold."

"It comes with the mourning." Pete told her. "Somebody has to be the serious one now, I'm the best suited."

"I would never think Matt would want you to do something like this!" Twilight accused.

"...I would appreciate it, if you would stop acting like you knew Matt better than me." Pete told her.

"I just find it hard to believe that Matt would want anything like this." Twilight said.

"Matt...would want all of you to be prepared to survive on your own." Pete told her.

"By making us fight each other?" Twilight questioned.

"Some tests go deeper than what they look like on the surface." Pete told her.

The doors to the barracks opened. Coming out from the building was Shinning Armor. He wasn't wearing his armor. He approached the two and stood in front of them. Not looking at either of them.

"So have you come to spar?" Pete asked him.

"...No." Armor answered.

"So you still refuse to fight your sister?" Pete asked.

"Yes." He replied without hesitation.

"You do understand what this means?" Pete said to him.

"It means that you will refuse to allow me to participate in the training courses anymore." Armor answered. By now more guards had come out of the barracks and were gathering around to watch the conversation. "But I don't need anymore of your training. I can keep others safe just fine with what I already know." He told Pete.

"Do you?" Pete responded. "Than prove it too me." Pete told him.

"What?" Armor questioned.

"It's a simple deal. You and I will fight. If you win then you have proven your strength and you'll be able to come back and be a part of the training sessions." Pete told him.

"And if I lose?" Armor asked.

"Well, then you're weak and would bring those around you down, endangering others. I could never allow that. If you lose, I will cast you out of Canterlot." Pete told him. Twilight gasped and the guards began to murmur.

"Brother you don't have to do this you can talk to Luna I'm sure-"

"No Twilight." Armor interrupted. "I will not refuse this challenge." He said as he began to walk over to the barrel of practice swords.

"Where do you think you're going?" Pete asked.

"To get a practice sword." Armor told him.

"Did I say this was a sparring match?" Pete asked. He lifted an item off of his back and tossed it to Armor who caught it in his magic. It was a real sword. "I said this was a fight." Pete told him as he drew his own sword from its sheath.

Twilight gasped and tried to rush forward, but her path was blocked by guards who had formed a small circle around the two.

"The rules are simple. We fight until one of us is unable to fight any longer. There will be no conceding mid-fight." Pete told him.

Armor was silent. He stared at his sword for a moment. He then drew the blade and tossed the scabbard away. "Agreed."

"Then we will begin now." Pete said as he rushed forward.

Luna was sitting in her chambers when she heard a small commotion outside. She walked to the window and looked out. It looked like a match was going on. She noticed the human standing in the middle of the circle. 'Huh, it seems like Pete's actually really trying. he's normally just instructing. I wonder what's going on?' She looked down at the pile of papers on her desk. '...what's one break?' Luna stood up from her desk and walked to the door.

Luna walked out of her office and came down to the training field. As soon as she came into the area. She was suddenly stopped by Twilight who had tears in her eyes. "Princess, you need to stop them please!" She begged.

"Twilight, what's wrong, what's going on?!" Luna asked worried.

"It's Pete and my brother! They're- they're..." Twilight stopped speaking and began to cry.

Luna quickly rushed to the circle that was forming and made her way to the interior. What she saw was not what she expected. Pete and Armor were fighting with real swords. Each had his own cuts along their body that were bleeding. Pete was standing over Armor, one foot pinning him to the ground. A blade placed at his throat.

"Do you still believe you are strong enough to defend those you hold close?" Pete asked Armor.

"Of course I do." Armor said trying to lift his own sword that was pinned beneath Pete's other foot.

"Then why are you pinned?" Pete responded.

Armor was silent and glared up at Pete.

"Pete! This fight is over! Release Captain Armor immediately!" Luna said forcefully to the human.

"You're wrong princess." Pete told her. "We agreed before the fight began, there would be no conceding. Until one of us is not longer able to fight, this is not over."

"Pete I swear to you! If you don't stop this I will-"

"Princess please." Armor interrupted, to everypony's surprise. "We agreed on those rules before the fight. I will not go back on my word and let others fight my battles for me." He told her.

"A sense of honor is good for you." Pete told him. "Now, this can end one of two ways. Either you agree to go a round with Twilight, or I make it so you can't fight again."

"Is that a death threat?" Armor asked with a cocky smile.

"Only if you choose the wrong option." Pete told him. Luna and Twilight's eyes widened. While the rest of the guard shifted uneasily.

"I already told you. I won't fight my sister." Armor told him.

"You would choose death, over fighting her for just one sparring match?" Pete asked.

"Every time." Armor answered.

"Please brother. It's just one fight. It's not even a real fight. Just take the offer." Twilight pleaded.

"I can't. I could never attack you. And I refuse to be forced to do any such thing." Armor told her

"Then you're fate is decided." Pete said. He lifted his sword into the air. He brought his arm down quickly.

"NO!!" Twilight shouted.

The field was silent. Multiple mouths hung open staring at the end of the fight.

Pete pulled his sword up and returned it to it's sheathe. "I told you Twilight. Luck and Ideals can only carry you so far." Pete said to her.
.
.
.
"You need Conviction as well if you want to keep on going forever." Pete said with a smug smile as he looked down at Armor.

Armor was laying on the ground breathing deeply. "So you're saying this whole thing was just some elaborate ruse to see if I would change my mind or not?" He asked between breaths.

"Congratulations, you passed." Pete told him offering a hand. Armor took the hand and got helped back up to his hooves. "You have a good sense of morals. One that values others more than yourself. Without that belief you can't protect anyone. I needed to see just how far you were willing to go to keep that belief."

Armor stood there with a weak smile. "You know I'm pretty sure I'm beginning to hate you."

"Then you're learning." Pete told him.

Armor laughed weakly. "Oh, but there is one more thing." He looked around. "But it's not exactly for everypony's ears." He said motioning Pete to come closer. Pete leaned down to Armor's level and turned his ear towards him. "No conceding, and we're both still able to fight." Armor whispered to him.

He quickly spun around and gave Pete a swift buck to the head with his hind legs.

Pete fell to the ground a small smile on his face as he lost consciousness.