• Published 17th Mar 2012
  • 6,830 Views, 212 Comments

Jedi Exile - makey101

  • ...
21
 212
 6,830

Closing Comments

I feel that it is time to hang up my Lightsabers and not string anyone along with this story any longer. I could, out of sheer ego, or misplaced sense of pride, continue to write this story simply because it is popular. Well, more popular than most. For quite a while this story was one of the best Star Wars crossovers out there. Boy I padded my ego with that one. I want to, instead, talk a bit about the meta of FimFiction (at least my take on it) and dissect why this story is as popular as it became. It may come across as deleterious towards my own story, but I am doing it because I honestly like my story and want to see more like it in the future.

Allow me to tell you the most important reason why my story did so well: I didn't do anything. That is to say, I didn't f**k it up. This story had potential and that was it. There was a void and I filled it. There was enough mystery to give the promise of an interesting plot. The character was flawed enough to bring about interesting situations. I made a story for fans of Star Wars and My Little Pony without changing either to a large extent. THAT is the key to a good crossover.

Too many times I see a crossover where there is some galactic threat and Equestria is the battleground. From the beginning of this Crossover, I had the choice to bring Star Wars to MLP, or bring MLP to Star Wars. Merging the two and describing how the Jedi Council merge with the Equestrian Diarchy and magic powered pony-battle droids is a great way to destroy each part of the crossover. Instead I tried to use the One Big Lie to just add Star Wars as an accent to MLP.

As to why I decided to stop, I can honestly say that I had no Idea what I was going to do. The story would have devolved into a Jedi Academy in the Everfree and maybe a few Jedi from the Order coming to hunt Warden down. I had a plan to have one of those Jedi be an old friend (childhood friend...I've read too much manga...) and have her stay in the academy to be the kind of foil to the moral ambiguity to Warden. However, I started introducing children into the story. That was a mistake. They bring responsibility and personalities that I am simply horrible at creating. There would have been exploration into the moral ambiguity of Warden as expressed in these children (I would have brought in a griffon next by the way) but I had no arcs to be my backdrop.

I may be a bit mean to my story, but I believe that this story was only going to get worse. I have changed the scope of the story so many times that I am unsure I could continue to give the story the attention it deserves. I know a lot of people are fans of this story, and I know a lot of people do not want this to end this way, but it is better to have a story thought of as crappy than to type it and prove it.

All In all, this has been a great experience, and I am regrettably starting to move in a different direction than writing fics. I have many ideas on a few other stories, but I will not be writing any more. All things go in their time, and it is time for me to put away my pen.

Thank you all for reading.

Comments ( 22 )

Good luck in future endeavors.

And that is the mark of a good author. One who knows when to call it quits.

I respect your decision. I wish you could continue I saw so much potential. Perhaps you could pass the story on to an author who wishes to continue it.

I respect your decision. I wish you could continue I saw so much potential. Perhaps you could pass the story on to an author who wishes to continue it.

Awww :pinkiesad2:

Oh well, at least you've given finality to it, unlike the people who leave their story at "Incomplete" for months and months on end, or set to "On Hiatus" without actual intent to return.

As much as I hate to see this story come to an early demise, I admire your decision to come out and explain why you have cancelled this story. Best of luck be with you.

Wow I just found this as it was being canceled well this is great I'll still read what was done so far though.

...and now I'm sad :(

I'm sad for the missed oportunity but understand your position, it was the right decition to make if you were sure you couldn't fufill the void you created. Luck on whatever you place yourself to do.:ajsmug:

I was always hoping but i knew this would come, thank you for giving me time to enjoy this as long as i did.:fluttershysad: :heart:

Gentle breeze guide you home, and a warm smile you welcome you home. :twilightsmile:

Thanks for saying goodbye.

One guy I knew just disappeared for almost a year, then returned to delete his story without saying anything. I thought it was still a good read despite being incomplete. That was sad. This, on the other hoof, is admirable.

I wish you the best. :pinkiesad2:

Reading that, I must say I am forced to agree. Too many stories fill things up with padding and go on long after they should have died, or put it on hiatus and never touch it again. The fact that you can honestly cancel it and say goodbye is quite a nice change of pace, and for that I salute you good sir o7.

Nice to see this story go down with dignity left, it's a shame to see one less quality Star Wars crossover on the net, but it would have been a bigger shame had this story plodded along with no plot nor goal to move towards.

I wish you luck in your future ventures, and hope you can become a better writer from your experiences with this story.

I guess the best way to describe this situation is. "It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees"
I really did want this to continue, but I realise that if you did, and it was bad, we might not remember it so fondly.

Well, if this is your decision then it is.
Nothing more to say about it.
I wish you the best of luck in the future and i hope that you will achieve your goals.
Good luck.
I also really like it how all the other people who responded are so understanding.
Love you guys/girls. Its what i always liked about this fandom.
Anyway, best of luck.

Wish u could let someone else finish your story

3172256

I wish someone was willing to finish this story

3177179 y not post a comment on the mlp Tim star wars crossover group blot area the person who u think is the best to finish ur story will continue it for u heck if you want ill post a comment to everyone in the group & you can decide who's best to finish Jedi exile might be worth it.:pinkiehappy:

3177179 so how did it go any writers u might use to finish ur story:pinkiehappy:

3177179 did anyone choose to finish ur story:pinkiehappy:

3177179 I'll give it a shot when I have the time :twilightsmile:!

An ancient relic, long forgotten...

Login or register to comment