• Published 17th Mar 2012
  • 6,828 Views, 212 Comments

Jedi Exile - makey101

  • ...
21
 212
 6,828

Semantics

The Princesses kindly began "accompanying" me from the jail cells shortly after my Oath (as well as the returning of my Lightsabers). They knew the weight of my words and how I was honor bound to follow them. They were not a widely practiced form of swearing oaths, but the expectation of a Jedi to follow through on their promises were rooted in Oaths. Toward the beginning of the Force Wars, a little known conflict at the origin of the Jedi Order, The followers of the Light believed that all promises that a Jedi should make would be Binding.

Needless to say that I found that nugget in the depths of the Jedi Holocron.

But I digress. And there is some Princess trying to talk to me.

"You want land in the Everfree for what again?"

"An academy of sorts. Away from prying eyes."

"And what is it that you will be teaching at this academy?"

"Protection"

Celestia's eyes bore into mine as we walked along the long passageways of her impressive, if frou-frou, castle.

"Teach them how to kill?"

"Yes" I said deliberately "To protect the many, I must sacrifice the few."

"So you will create monsters?" I regarded Celestia.

"Come now Celestia, we both know Light and Dark are extensions of each other." I gave an irreverent grin. "You above all should know that."

"Sister that is enough." Luna admonished, and speaking up for the first time. "Warden, we cannot tear families apart. That is an order."

Loop-hole loop-hole I need a loop-hole... what about, "Orphans?"

"Those are quite rare. Most ponies would never give up their child, and there are many same sex couples vying for what few orphans there are." Luna countered.

"But you're saying they are there?"

"Yes I suppose--"

"Huzzah!" Luna skipped a step in her canter. "That is some! And some is better than none!" I turned down my drollery a bit. "What about volunteers?"

"You think ponies will volunteer to learn how to kill?" Celestia must really not like the idea.

"I think they will volunteer to learn how to protect. To sacrifice themselves for the greatest good. There is no greater love than this: to lay down one's life for another."

Celestia stopped. The Abacus, as quaint as they are, flitted away in her head.

"What will you do with all of these apprentices?"

"They will be the second edge of the sword. The rod that keeps the child from spoiling. They will serve Harmony." I put an emphasis on Harmony. "They will not serve the Royal Sisters or Equestria, but will do what is necessary to maintain Harmony, at the price of their own.This mantle of responsibility will not be worn lightly." I give my most crooked and conniving of smiles. "Besides, removing me or my followers would be a walk in the park for you."

What went on in that head of Celestia was a complete mystery to me. I may as well have tried to get a Jedi Master to tell me exactly what a vision meant. I know this. I've tried It involved a-

"Very well, you can have the castle of the Royal Pony Sisters in the Everfree. There should be little trouble there from the local wildlife. You may only have apprentices that we have selected and approved."

This is as good as I'm gonna get. "I'll accept, However, Isn't that castle a ruin? Twilight said something about that place being a ruin."

Celestia stopped and regarded me. "It'll buff out." She said simply and trotted away.

Was that...Humor?


I spent the rest of the day speaking with the guards at the barracks. More specifically, the guards I had fought. They were more than a little peeved about our little tussle. However, dear sweet Celestia found it important for me to mend whatever bridges I had burned.

They only seemed to simmer down after a promise of a rematch. And poker. By the Force am I bad at poker. A few even took an interest in what I was going to be doing in the Everfree. They went as far as to suggest that a "contingent" of guards be sent to "overlook" the academy. You know. For "security reasons".

And they will probably get away with it too, knowing Celestia.

I ended my day in a much better room than I expected. It seems, however, the length of their beds are far too small. I think it was on purpose too... In any case, Luna promised me that I would be able to take a representative from Celestia's school and that the applicants would be ready in the morning. Something about them being the best in unicorn foals that the country had to offer.

I had made myself quite quite clear to Luna that they be applicants. Not that couldn't do with an older Youngling, but I preferred a student that didn't have some misguided opinion that the Force was Magic. I mean, that's just silly.


I woke up when the sun rose. I could almost swear that the sun was a tad bit brighter on my eyes than my chest. One of the mysteries of the Force no doubt. But I digress.

The important part of the day was going to good ol' Sunny Flank's School for Gifted Unicorns.

When I arrived, there were various Younglings worthy of any academy.

There were 5 in all, with another blonde Youngling nervously sulking in the corner, hidden from view. I was curious about the Lost Youngling, but Celestia made no moves to bar her entry.

The Younglings stood nervous, not only was their sovereign and teacher in attendance, but so was some alien. A dashing and rouge-ish alien.

"Each of these 5 colts fit the requirements and have volunteered." Each colt in turn puffed their chests out with a smug look to match. "They have all just completed their application test per your request."

I gave a hearty smile, "And what specimens they are! Truly this is a school for the most gifted of unicorns!" I plopped down in front of the students. "My name is Warden, I have a simple test for you all. One which you are all more than capable of."

I pulled my Lightsaber out and flipped the little known safety switch so that none of the Younglings would get hurt.

"The test is simple: I want each of you to lift this Doo-Hickey." They all giggled at the name.

Their faces changed from one of amusement to confusion. They all had just taken a comprehensive arcane examination where their skills and abilities were taken to their limits. Now they were asked to lift a simple cylinder. And their faces were priceless.

"You on the right, please go first."

Each one of the Younglings, with a wary expression, levitated the Saber in their differently colored telekinetic grasps.

"So what will it be? Will you need some time to consider?"

I cocked my head. "What do you mean? There is still another Youngling in the room." I pointed to a filly by the door.

"I-I-I'm sorry, I g-got l-lost."

I couldn't help but give a warm chuckle worthy of any old man in a red suit and a white beard. "I think you are less lost than you think." I patted the ground. "Come, at least give it a shot. You have nothing to lose and nothing to prove."

The Youngling came up to the Lightsaber and scrunched her face, lifting her head as if to try and make her horn longer. She grunted with effort and ground her teeth. but to no avail.

She hung her head in defeat.

"Come, Child there is no time limit. Lift the object, please." I can see why Jedi masters like to be so mysterious. Being cryptic is so much fun!

She looked at me square in the eye. "Lift it?" She had a gleam in her eyes. A most devious gleam. I nodded.

The filly's eyes lingered on mine, then the Saber, and back to me.

With slow rumination, she bent down and put the Saber in her mouth and lifted her head.

She sat there a second before cocking her head. And I'll be damned if that was the cutest thing I have ever seen.

It was also the most absurd thing I have come across in the Galaxy.

I started laughing. I couldn't control it. That was the most simple and glorious thing in the entire Galaxy. I LOVED it! It was perfect!

The Younglings thought less so.

"Can you believe it? She doesn't even know magic!"

"And she applied to this school?"

"This is a school for gifted unicorns!"

"Enough!" I put a little Force into that one. For the kick. "Tell me Youngling, what is your name?"

"D-Dinky Doo, sir."

"Well Ms. Doo, why did you lift the object with your mouth?"

"I-I can't do magic, sir."

"And why should you? Isn't the point of this school to teach magic?" The other Younglings shrank back a bit and Celestia, who at some point slunk back into the background before the test, gave a soft smile.

"So tell me, what is the point of attending magic lessons if you already know magic?" Dinky had the rumor of a smile dance across her face. "Let me ask you again: why did you use your mouth to lift the object?"

"You never said how to lift it, sir."

"Clever Girl. are your parents around? I have an important question for them."



Author's Note:
To be quite honest, this was the one scene I imagined when I made this fic. I was worried for a while that I couldn't come back from the last chapter and how this all happened. I know it feels a bit rushed, but in my opinion, Celestia just wants them out.

In any case, please comment. I do read them all and try to respond to all of them. If you find an issue, point it out to me and I'll probably fix it. Or argue as to why I'm right. Cuz the author is always right. Nor is he ever late. My chapters arrive precicley when I mean to.