• Published 27th Aug 2013
  • 2,534 Views, 32 Comments

The Great and Powerful Trixie's Lessons in Friendship and Other Things - Prince of the City



When Twilight runs into the newly reformed Trixie, she discovers that Trixie has never had a friend before so she takes it upon herself to teach Trixie about the magic of friendship. But the magic of friendship just may become something more.

  • ...
6
 32
 2,534

Chapter 1

The sun had just begun its daily march up the horizon, but Dusting Day had already begun for the residents of Ponyville’s Golden Oaks Library. Everypony’s favorite Princess, along with her number one assistant, was furiously attacking the first item of ‘Dusting Day – The Checklist’: the library’s lone non-book dedicated shelf. This particular shelf was located in Twilight’s Study, a secluded wing on the second floor of the library for the librarian’s personal use, and was dedicated to the preservation of memories in photographic form. The shelf was laden with photo albums, all of a uniform size, and organized chronologically in accordance with a certain obsessive-compulsive pony’s standards. While readying the photo albums for dusting, the lavender mare’s young assistant’s curiosity was roused from its never peaceful slumber. The number one assistant gave a “hmm” of inspired thought, selected an album at random, and proceeded to leaf through it with purpose, searching for a fondly remembered photo of his early days. “Twilight?” he asked. “Do you remember that one picture where I was sucking on my tail? You know, like, just after I hatched?”

Twilight lowered her feather duster, sighed happily, and smiled with fond remembrance of that fateful day, one of the most significant days of her relatively young life, in fact. It was the day Twilight met her wonderful mentor, hatched her closest friend, earned her cutie mark, and, most importantly, she had aced her entrance exam. Well, the exam wasn’t that important but acing her first graded assignment always gave her quite a thrill when she thought back on it. “How could I forget that day of all days, Spike? It was probably the best day ever! The only way it could’ve been better would be if my BBBFF and all the girls were there too.”

Twilight paused for a moment and sighed dreamily, wondering how much more perfect that day could’ve been. “That would be asking for too much though. I guess you could count Rainbow being there with her Sonic Rainboom,” Twilight concluded with a shrug and a light chuckle.

“That cheesy stuff is nice and all Twi, but you still didn’t answer my question. I just wanted to know where my tail sucking picture was.” Spike was in a no-nonsense mood, a result of waking up before the sun.

Twilight chuckled sheepishly and folded her ears. “I’m sorry, Spike, you know how much I love remembering that day. And as for that photo,” Twilight fired up her horn and enveloped the first album on the top left of the shelf in an aura of magenta, “That photo should be the first one in this album. You should know that, Spike.” Twilight Sparkle’s family’s household had always been organized to the point of tedium, and photo albums were no exception. Twilight seamlessly continued the tradition in her current Ponyville home. Upon her acceptance into Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, Twilight had received her very own photo album where she could document everything she would experience as the solar sovereign’s personal protégé. The very first photo of the album happened to depict the first moment of her closest friend’s life.

Spike snatched the album away from Twilight’s magical grasp. The album was visibly worn, and the cover text had faded over the years. Spike could barely make out the title of the album. “Album One,” Spike read aloud. “That’s Twilight for you. Organized to the very last sparkle,” Spike sighed.

Twilight chose not to respond to the half-compliment, but opted to rush her assistant, “Well, Spike, are you going to open it or not? We still have to dust it, and you know we have to dust all the albums chronologically to make sure we don’t skip any,” Twilight chided as she summoned a checklist from hammerspace. “We still have to dust non-fiction, fiction, and classics after this, and that’s only the beginning!” Twilight took a few deep breaths to forestall her inevitable panic mode.

“Yeah, yeah,” Spike grumbled as he opened the album, which was littered with windows to the past. As Spike turned to the first page, his eyes fell on the photo in question, and he could only laugh at the juvenile display his past self was putting on. “Heh heh! Twi, look at how much I’ve grown since then. It’s funny because I still look kinda the same, except for the tail sucking.”

Spike’s glee was quickly snuffed when Twilight commented, “What do you mean you’ve ‘grown’? You’re still a baby dragon and you still suck on your tail. You were actually sucking on it this morning before I woke you up!”

“I was not!” Spike insisted. “I-I was just… um… dreaming! About… ice cream, yeah… ice cream, that’s right!”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Whatever you say, Spike.” Twilight examined the photo. “Hmmm…”

“What’s up, Twilight?” Spike watched Twilight, who appeared to be in deep thought as she brought a hoof up to her chin. “Something bothering you? Is it me?” Spike began to worry, for it was far too early to find himself on Twilight’s bad side. Twilight could be an absolute grump in the morning before breakfast.

Twilight shook her head, “No, it’s just that I was thinking about how cute you used to be. You’re growing up pretty fast, Spike.” Twilight reflected somberly.

Spike exhaled in relief. “Well, Rarity thinks I’m cute, or ‘cutesy-wootsy’ or something. I guess Rarity’s the only unicorn around here who could appreciate a studly dragon like me.” Spike flexed his unimpressive physique in an attempt prove his point, completely missing Twilight’s somber reflecting.

“You know what, Spike?” realization dawned on Twilight’s features. She continued after assuring she had Spike’s attention, “I was just thinking about my entrance exam again. Do you notice anything strange about it?”

“Ughh…” Spike’s face met his claw. “You’re still thinking about that day, Twilight? How many times can you relive that moment and do your ‘Yes!’ dance before getting tired of it?

Twilight felt heat growing within her cheeks at the mention of her ‘Yes!’ dance, a silly dance of unadulterated joy that she had failed to outgrow over the years. “No, Spike, I was just thinking about the entrance exam itself. You know, how I had to hatch a dragon egg in order to pass?”

“Yeah, so?” Spike’s brain was too tired to see the significance of Twilight’s ramblings.

“So,” Twilight began to speak with more volume, “What about everypony else who was accepted into the school? If they had to hatch a dragon egg to pass their exam, where are their dragons? Am I the only one who was challenged with the egg? Was there another type of examination?”

Spike’s eyes widened as the implication of Twilight’s ramblings began to dawn on him. “You mean–“

“That’s exactly what I mean, Spike!” Twilight cried.

“But, I–“

A manic glint shone in Twilight’s eyes. She was beginning to work herself up into a frenzy, which never ended well. “You’re right, Spike. I’m going to find some ponies who went to Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns in Ponyville and find out how their entrance exam went!” Twilight cried triumphantly, hooves extended high above her head, and wings spread at her sides.

“Twilight–“

Before Spike could offer her his usual sensible advice, Twilight summoned a blank checklist from hammerspace and began to fill it in instantly. The curiosity-driven mare was on a mission, and nopony would stop her from finding the answers she deserved. “Okay, this checklist will be short, but sweet, and directly to the point. Item one: Find and interview at least one unicorn that attended Celestia’s school. Item two: Compare and contrast findings in relation to my own experiences. Item three: Report findings to the Princess.” Twilight grinned widely, and rubbed her hooves together in anticipation of her task. She could learn so much about other ponies while impressing her mentor, and answer unanswered questions. She could knock out two of Fluttershy’s birds with just one burst of magic, figuratively speaking of course.

“Ooh, Spike! Isn’t this exciting? We can find out why we’ve never met any other friendly, baby dragons around here.” Twilight looked at her assistant, who folded his arms and looked unimpressed with the whole situation.

“Let me guess,” Spike began with a sigh, “You’re going to read The Interviewer’s Guide to Interviewing an Interviewee again?”

“You’re close but no dice, Spike.” Twilight patted the young drake, who cringed at the display of affection, on his head. “I’m going to read The Interviewer’s Guide to Interviewing an Interviewee alright, but,” Twilight grinned slyly, “I’m going to read it twice.” Twilight closed her eyes as she began to remember how much fun she had reading the guide previously. She had never been in an interview-esque setting before, but the concept of interviews intrigued her. It was like learning from an eyewitness source, a source that experienced everything firsthoof.

The prospect of interacting with a source and learning about their firsthoof experiences was almost as delicious as the breakfast she was about to have: a hoof licking good cinnamon bun. The studious mare knew that too many were no good for her figure, but she could not care less. Cinnamon buns were ‘simply divine’ to quote a certain elegant unicorn.

When Twilight begun to salivate during her breakfast fantasy, Spike knew it was already too late. He would be soloing Dusting Day, again. Spike sighed audibly, which snapped Twilight out of her reverie. “Twilight, you should eat some breakfast and read that book. You have to find the answer to those questions you have on the entrance exam so you should get going. I’ll handle the dusting.” Spike smiled confidently, giving Twilight the best salute he could manage.

Twilight beamed gratefully at her young assistant and embraced him. “Thanks, Spike. I’ll do my best! The interviews shouldn’t take too long. There are quite a few unicorns here in Ponyville. I’m bound to find somepony who attended Celestia’s school,” Twilight said confidently. “Okay, I’m off to eat breakfast and read. You need anything from the kitchen, Spike?” When Spike shook his head in response, Twilight waved farewell to her assistant and headed for the stairs.

Spike returned the wave with an encouraging smile and sighed once more after Twilight was out of sight. Spike glared at the barely used duster Twilight had left behind. Nopony appreciated him as much as Twilight, and knowing how important he was to her made soloing Dusting Day worth it. Spike chuckled while thinking of his closest friend’s eccentricities. “Go get ‘em, Twi.”


Twilight was giddy and light on her hooves as she pranced through Ponyville in her excitement, cinnamon bun and The Interviewer’s Guide to Interviewing an Interviewee in tow in differing capacities. The cinnamon bun was steadily being digested, while the guidebook was safely cradled within the depths of Twilight’s saddlebags. Twilight figured it would be a good idea to refer to the guide during her interviews. Not only could she meet some new unicorns, and discuss the finer points of magic with them, but she could also discover how their special talent assisted them while studying magic. The prancing pony’s mind was awash with the possibilities. How could the lyre-playing, mint-green unicorn potentially hatch a dragon egg? Was there a certain combination of notes that, when played, allowed dragons to break free of the suspended animation they experienced from the safety of their egg? Don’t even get her started on wondering how the DJ pony could manage it.

However, Twilight’s optimism was fleeting. After what seemed longer than five hours of asking around Ponyville, Twilight still had not found a single unicorn that had attended, or had even attempted the entrance exam for Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. Everypony gave Twilight the same answer with varied phrasing, “Never heard of it.” How could somepony not have heard about the famed school for talented unicorns? Graduates were widely respected and sought out by many for their extensive knowledge of science and the magical arts. Or so Twilight had thought.

The sun was reaching its apex, and Twilight’s grumbling stomach pushed her patience to the limit. How could nopony in town have gone to the school or at least heard of it? Twilight then spotted an auspicious sign for her rumbling insides, the familiar shape of Ponyville’s Café, or just the café for short. The hungry mare ran a few mental calculations and determined the café could be no more than fifty feet straight away from her current position, a few easy strides. The downtrodden lavender mare quickly regained her composure at the thought of food in her near future, and her familiar cheerful smile adorned her face once more. Maybe some lunch could give her the fuel she needed to find at least one unicorn that attended PCSGU, or at least took the entrance exam. As Twilight began her approach to the café, she heard a pair of excited, youthful voices.

“The Great and Powerful Farewell Tour!” droned the voice of a young colt with a snail cutie mark.

Twilight’s ears perked up at the mention of an all too familiar title. Maybe, Twilight thought as she approached the table where the voice had sounded. Maybe she went to PCSGU. She did know about advanced magic even if she wasn’t powerful enough to perform them. Wait, farewell tour?

“The most magical unicorn known to ponykind!” a second voice announced.

Twilight could barely contain her excitement as she saw the two young colts reading what looked to be a newspaper opened to an advertisement of some sort. It couldn’t be. She’s coming back for another show?

“The Great and Powerful Trixie bares all!” both voices concluded.

Twilight slowly approached the colts, while trying to sneak a peek of the newspaper. “Hey, Snips! Hi, Snails! Do you think I could take a look at that newspaper? I just wanted to check the weather forecast for the week.” Twilight smiled, hoping her deception was flawless.

The smaller of the two colts smiled a knowing smile after seeing through Twilight’s request. “So, look who’s a closet Trixie fan!” Snips’ smug grin assaulted Twilight. “If you want to look at this newspaper, you only have to do one thing.”

Twilight reminded herself of why she had come too far to quit. She needed answers. Why didn’t anypony else have to hatch a dragon egg? She took a deep breath and readied herself for a gruesome ordeal. It would have to be worth the risk. “Alright, let’s hear it,” Twilight responded with all the confidence she could muster.

The partners-in-crime huddled up and appeared to discuss the trial to be conferred upon the waiting lavender mare. Twilight could just make out a few snatches of the colts’ hushed conversation, and she did not like what she was hearing. Was that… something about editing dictionaries?

“We’ve made our decision!” Snips said suddenly, startling the waiting lavender mare.

“Yes?” Twilight leaned in, ready for the verdict.

“You’re going to use your magic to make everypony see a picture of Trixie when there’s a cool sounding word in the dictionary!” Snails finished.

Twilight had never heard of such a gross misuse of magic since a zany pink pony asked her to turn snow into icing. What was the point? Twilight deadpanned and said, “Not gonna happen.”

“Okay, okay. Don’t get your mane in a twist, there’s another option,” Snips smirked, his diabolical little mind turning more gears. “Just admit that the Great and Powerful Trixie is the highest-level unicorn, and this newspaper is yours!”

“Fine… Trixie is the highest-level unicorn,” Twilight droned. I’m not a unicorn anymore so she’s probably the highest-level unicorn in this town, unless Rarity has been hiding some tricks in those dresses of hers.

Apparently satisfied with her answer, the two-colt combo passed along the newspaper to Twilight and left the café with a few parting words, “See you at the Great and Powerful Trixie’s final performance later!” The café door jingled and the duo was gone.

Twilight forgot about her stomach’s incessant grumbling for a moment and wrapped her mind around Snips and Snails’ parting words. Later? Final performance? Twilight grinned, hardly believing her luck. And to make the situation even more fortunate, Twilight examined the newspaper advertisement and read aloud, “The Great and Powerful Trixie Bares All. After the performance, a select few of Trixie’s fans will have the privilege of engaging in a question and answer session with Trixie if they purchase deluxe tickets valued at,” Twilight gasped when she saw the figure, “The price of one ticket multiplied by one hundred! Supply is very limited so promptly purchase your deluxe tickets at the self-service ticket kiosk before the show if you wish to speak personally with The Great and Powerful Trixie. The show will be held at Ponyville Elementary’s outdoor theater just after sundown. Have a magical day.”

Trixie’s portrait grinned cheekily up at Twilight from behind the advertisement’s text. Twilight glared and stuck her tongue out at the photo in return. Five hundred bits for a deluxe ticket was ridiculous. How could she ensure a private interview with Trixie if there were multiple deluxe tickets? Twilight levitated a piece of parchment from her saddlebags and began to write to her dear Princess. Maybe her mentor had a few thousand bits sitting around that she could lend to her most faithful student for some deluxe tickets? It was for the pursuit of knowledge after all.


After Celestia had sent Twilight a sack filled with too many bits to count, Twilight was, once again, prancing through the streets of Ponyville, hunger forgotten. The ticket kiosk would have no choice but to vend her all the deluxe tickets. It was nearing sundown, and the prancing princess had not eaten anything all day except for her cinnamon bun. Her stomach begged for a reprieve. With no time to worry about her hunger, Twilight approached the ticket kiosk stationed near the gates of Ponyville Elementary. Surprisingly, nopony else had arrived yet for Trixie’s show. Twilight silently gave thanks for all the procrastinators who resided in Ponyville. When Twilight entered the kiosk’s booth, she dumped the whole sack of bits into the appropriate receptacle, and selected the tile that read ‘deluxe tickets’ on the display. The kiosk began to hum and churn violently after her input. After a few moments of labored whirring, three deluxe tickets found their way out of the ticket dispenser.

Only three? That advertisement wasn’t kidding when it said supplies were very limited. Twilight glanced at the display to assure her transaction was complete and was shocked to find the display read: Thank you for your great and powerful donation. You have pleased Trixie.

Twilight cringed as she realized she hadn’t even bothered to count out the exact change. Princess Celestia would have her head if she knew Twilight had spent thousands of bits on a simple street show. This better be good.

Twilight approached the lone security guard, who was putting on his best Royal Guard impersonation. It was a noble effort, but the big, red apple farmer was too recognizable to deceive anypony. Twilight almost would have believed the acting, but Big Mac was too familiar of a face. “Hello, Big Mac.” Twilight approached Big Mac and shook his hoof in greeting. “Do I show my tickets to you?”

Big Mac gestured to the sign fastened to the gate of the school’s outdoor theater: Show tickets to the guard, or else. Very menacing. “Eeyup,” Big Mac drawled.

When Twilight showed her three deluxe tickets, Big Mac raised a questioning eyebrow. Why did she need three tickets? Big Mac shrugged and thought, Just mares being mares. After deeming her tickets to be legitimately obtained, Big Mac stepped aside and let Twilight step through into the entrance of the outdoor theater. Before Twilight could enter, however, Big Mac cleared his throat rather loudly. “Uhh, Ah’m gonna hafta check your bags, Miss Twilight. It’s protocol.”

Twilight willingly allowed Big Mac to rummage through her saddlebags and when she received Big Mac’s approval, she found her way directly in front of the stage, as if she would be ready to pounce on the highest-level unicorn during her performance.

Ponies began to file in in great numbers. Twilight was not surprised, however. Even though Trixie had ruled over Ponyville in her last visit, entertainment, outside of Pinkie Pie, was hard to come by in the town. Nopony in their right mind would pass up a chance for some cheap entertainment, except for her friends who had never really mended fences with the showmare. Only Twilight was fortunate enough to have met the Great and Apologetic Trixie. Twilight could only wonder about how Trixie’s first show in Ponyvlle could have went if her friends didn’t decide to get involved. Twilight withdrew a notebook from her saddlebags and prepared to take notes on Trixie’s act.

After sundown, the crowd assembled was noticeably larger than the one present for the school talent show. The crowd rustled, and whispered excitedly in anticipation. The Great and Powerful Trixie would be appearing at any moment.

“Come one!” The crowd instantly fell silent. “Come all!” The great and powerful voice rang through the crowd. “Come…” With a dramatic flourish, the showmare appeared in a flash of pyrotechnic magic and rolled 'r's, “For Trrrrixie!”

A few nervous laughs, and snickers, could be heard in the crowd, but Trixie paid no mind to them. She had already slipped into her larger than life stage persona where she was the greatest of them all, and was kind enough to allow others to witness her power. “Witness as the Great and Powerful Trixie bedazzles you with dazzling magical feats beyond comprehension!” Twilight rolled her eyes at Trixie’s usual exaggeration.

“Be prepared, Ponyvillians, for you bear the great and powerful honor of hosting the Great and Powerful Trixie’s final exhibition! You have the great and powerful privilege of witnessing all of the tricky tricks in Trixie’s trickster bag of trickery and magic!” The crowd gasped in amazement as Trixie conjured up a bouquet of flowers from thin air. Before Twilight could reveal the recycled trick, Trixie levitated the bouquet over to a speechless Twilight. “For Trixie’s number one fan and friend!” Trixie announced much to Twilight’s embarrassment. As Twilight shakily accepted the bouquet of some of the finest smelling flowers she had ever received, a few ponies around her snickered and whispered among themselves. Twilight could already feel the rumors growing.

“I-It’s not what it looks like! I barely even know her!”

“My good friend, Twilight Sparkle, the vanquisher of Ursas, is the most forgiving, understanding, and most awesome friend of all! Not even Princess Celestia is as understanding as Twilight!” The crowed murmured in awed astonishment. Could the usually cooped up town librarian really be that awesome?

As Trixie continued to bestow increasingly embarrassing superlatives upon Twilight, the chances of Twilight quelling any rumors were long gone. Trixie, you better have gone to Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns! The answers will be worth this punishment. Twilight covered her ears and clenched her eyes shut as she waited for Trixie to finish complimenting her. When Twilight finally opened her eyes, they widened in surprise at what she saw. The crowd was rapidly disappearing, and Trixie was cleaning up the props she had used for her show.

As Twilight approached the stage, Trixie focused her attention on the lavender mare and flashed her a smug smile. “So, Twilight Sparkle, how did it feel to have a front row seat to view Trixie’s greatness and powerfulness in action?”

“Uhhh–“

“Hah! Just as Trixie thought! You, Twilight Sparkle, are speechless! Trixie was watching you very closely during her show, and she saw how spellbound you were as you cowered in fear.”

Twilight did the best she could to go along with Trixie. “Um, yeah. I really enjoyed the show, Trixie.” Twilight cringed and hoped for the best.

“Trixie does know her fantastic magic can be entertaining, but she had no idea her apparitions could strike fear into the very hearts of ponies!” Trixie’s voice softened, “Especially a pony who is more magical than me. I’m glad you enjoyed the show, Twilight. Wowing ponies is more my speed than trying to ridicule or duel them.” Trixie’s head drooped. “I’m still so sorry for what I did to you, Twilight, and all your friends. After all that, is it okay for me to call you my friend?” Trixie presented Twilight with her most powerful pouty face, a face nearly impossible to deny.

Twilight looked at the bouquet resting in her saddlebags, and then at the unicorn in front of her. Could she say no to that face? “You can’t call me your friend, Trixie.” Trixie could not believe her ears. Did Twilight just refuse her in cold blood? How could she not crumble beneath the great and powerful pouty face? Well, most ponies didn’t crumble…

“I understand.” Trixie’s head hung low and she turned away from the lavender unicorn. “You hardly even know me. I’ll just do what I do best and run away, again!” Twilight giggled a bit much to Trixie’s anger. “Well if you enjoy Trixie’s misery so much then you should tell your friends so you can all laugh at me! Nopony even came to Trixie's question and answer session. Nopony cares about Trixie.”

“Wait! Trixie, I didn’t mean what I said, entirely.” Trixie raised a skeptical eyebrow. “What I meant to say was you can’t call me your friend yet. Twilight smiled and embraced the confused Trixie. “I’m not really good with ponies. My friends and I just sort of found each other. Ever since I’ve found them I’ve been able to step more and more out of my shell. Even though I can talk and be friendly to other ponies, I still haven’t made any new close friends in Ponyville. I’m not really sure how to make them.” Twilight smiled nervously at the showmare. "You can apologize to my friends. I know they'll forgive you.

“Trixie understands. The idea of making a friend terrifies Trixie. It is uncharted territory for her after all, but it’s a territory that Trixie would like to chart now.”

“Well, if you want to meet up tomorrow, I could teach you everything I’ve learned about the magic of friendship. Now that I’m a princess, I understand even more now about the magic of friendship, but I’m sure we could discover new things if we work together. I mean, that is, if you’re not busy with... stuff.” While waiting for Trixie’s answer, Twilight’s eyes found the ground at Trixie’s hooves to be rather interesting. The lavender mare couldn’t believe her own boldness to initiate friendship activities with a pony she didn’t know too well, and was even more shocked to find herself mentally clearing her schedule. Sorry, Mayor Mare, but permanent hair coloring can wait.

“Actually, Twilight Sparkle, that sounds like an agreeable idea to Trixie.”

Twilight exhaled a breath she was unaware of holding. “Sounds great! I live in the big tree! Come by at any time!” Twilight quickly backpedaled, trying to escape to her tree home before she said something that would make her look stupid. Before she could distance herself from Trixie, Twilight’s tortured stomach moaned in its suffering.

“Are you hungry, Twilight Sparkle? Trixie asked the clearly suffering mare.

“You can call me ‘Twilight’ or ‘Twi’, that’s what my friends call me, and YES! I’m starving! I completely forgot to eat today after breakfast.”

Trixie’s eyes brightened as an idea popped into her mind. Now would be an opportune moment to show the lavender how much she had to offer as a friend. It was time to start building a bond of friendship. “Trixie always saves these for a rainy day.” Trixie fervently rummaged through her saddlebag, ruining her normally organized setup. “Behold!” Trixie cried, drawing a small package wrapped in a thin material with a flourish of fireworks.

Twilight eyed with eager eyes the small package highlighted by Trixie’s magical showing, but her eyes fell in disappointment at the sight of the package. “Those are just peanut butter crackers,” said the crestfallen Twilight. “I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a snack,” Twilight’s stomach grumbled in agreement.

“Do not deny the power of the peanut butter crackers! There was many a night where Trixie had naught to dine on but them, a favored snack from Trixie’s foalhood. And Trixie thought everything was better when shared with a friend,” Trixie smirked. “Isn’t that the magic of friendship you once preached to Trixie about, or have you deceived Trixie in any way?” Trixie narrowed her eyes in suspicion.

“No, you’re right, Trixie. I’m in no position to be complaining right now anyway.” Twilight called upon her magic and with hunger driving her, eagerly snatched up the peanut butter crackers. Before she could place one in her mouth, Twilight looked up and saw Trixie observing her with great intensity, the art of subtlety either ignored or forgotten. Twilight forced a chuckle in hopes of making the situation less weird. “Uhh, Trixie,” Trixie continued to gaze unblinkingly at the lavender mare, “I’m just trying to snack on these crackers. Did you have something else to say?”

Twilight’s words appeared to snap Trixie out of her reverie. “Oh, was Trixie staring? Sorry.” The great and powerful pouty face returned.

Twilight gave a genuine giggle when she saw the pout. I could get used to seeing that face. It’s silly, but kind of cute at the same time. It suits her. Wait, what? Deciding the hunger had finally warped her mind, Twilight hastily raised a cracker to her mouth, only to stop once more. Trixie was eyeing her very closely, making it painfully obvious she was staring at Twilight. With her patience wearing thin due to sustenance being within reach, but being unable to enjoy it peacefully, Twilight was seriously considering levitating Trixie out of her line of sight. “Trixie. You’re staring, again. I don’t know if I can eat like this, or if you can still come over tomorrow. It’s a little weird to see you looking at me like that.”

“Wait, Twilight! Trixie was only waiting for you to take your first bite of peanut butter cracker! Trixie only wanted to see your smile after your taste buds had been graced by the rich and creamy taste of peanut butter accented by the crunch of the flaky cracker. Ooh, just thinking about it makes Trixie’s mouth water. Hurry, Twilight, and just eat it! Trixie won’t look! Trickster’s honor!” Trixie closed her eyes and held a hoof over her face at just the right angle to obscure one eye from Twilight’s view. Trixie will just have to help herself to some free peeking. Good think peeking is much more satisfying than staring. Trixie will be able to secretly observe Twilight’s eating patterns, and begin to grade her according to Trixie’s Personality Rubric. Oh, she’s about to eat one!

Twilight stole a glance at the mare with the shameless stare, who was true to her word so far. Trixie’s eyes were closed and covered as far as Twilight could tell. Before her stomach could grumble in annoyance, with another reminder of her negligence, Twilight levitated a cracker to her mouth. It’s just a stupid peanut butter cracker.

Watching Twilight carefully inspect the cracker was agonizing for the peeking mare. Trixie suffered as Twilight slowly brought the cracker to her mouth, only to lightly sniff the snack. Twilight hefted the cracker in her magical hold, seemingly testing the weight. Twilight nodded, seemingly deeming the cracker worthy of consumption. As Twilight again brought the cracker to her mouth, she did something Trixie had never expected. Twilight licked the cracker, doing her best to envelop the entirety of it with her tongue. Why is she licking it, especially in such a lewd manner? Ponies usually chomp down on their food based on Trixie's previous observations. No sane pony eats like that. If she’s trying to intimate something to the Great Trixie, Trixie will gladly take the hint, but only after a proper courtship. Trixie can’t gauge Twilight's personality for Trixie’s Personality Rubric with only this much information. Trixie will have to document this event in her notes and record more observations later. Twilight was nearly finished with the cracker, much to Trixie’s surprise. Her tongue must have made the cracker too soft to make the crunching sound.

With a final chew, Twilight reluctantly swallowed the last morsel of the snack. “Trixie,” she breathed, “That was the best peanut butter cracker I’ve ever had! It was so good, I feel as if I’ll crave it for the rest of my life! I can see why you were making such a fuss about it. Who manufactures it, because I didn’t see a logo on the wrapping.” Twilight was hopping in place as she mentally made room in her now clear schedule to pick up her new favorite snack.

Trixie smirked at the lavender mare. “You want to know who made it?”

“Oh yes! I could eat them for the rest of my life.” Trixie began to laugh, much to Twilight’s frustration. “Come on, Trixie, just tell me already. Who’s responsible for the greatest snack known to ponykind? I didn’t think it was possible for a mass produced product to be made with such fine ingredients and obvious care with that attention to detail.”

“That’s because it’s not mass produced, Twilight.” Trixie laughed as she saw the confusion in the lavender mare’s features. “’Confused’ is a good look for you, Twilight. You should wear it more.”

“B-b-bu wh-what?” Twilight sputtered. “I am not confused! It just doesn’t make sense for a commonly mass produced snack to taste so good. It’s not like they sell peanut butter crackers at bakeries, do they?”

“No, they don’t. Honestly, Trixie is surprised that a pony as smart as you still hasn’t figured it out yet. That’s what has Trixie laughing.”

Realization finally dawned on the stumped mare. Her eyes lit up as she viewed Trixie in a new light. “You? You made this perfect snack?”

“Well, Trixie did not create the recipe, but yes. Trixie is responsible for the delectable peanut butter cracker you just consumed. You enjoyed it, yes? Trixie knows your tongue did.” Trixie smirked smugly in anticipation when she saw Twilight’s eyes widen.

Twilight felt a blush begin to grow on her face as she realized what Trixie had seen. “You saw that?” she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

“That’s right! Trixie has already discovered one of your secrets, Twilight! Trixie may not have other observations to go on right now, but it appears that Twilight Sparkle finds it pleasurable to consume her food in a lascivious manner.” Trixie paused and admired her work. Twilight’s head looked like it had been replaced with a purple-maned cherry. “Once Trixie discovers more of your secrets, you will receive a grade from Trixie’s Personality Rubric. You better tread carefully, because it looks like Twilight Sparkle is the owner of one of the more perverted personalities on the rubric. Not the greatest of distinctions to be known for, especially if that pony is a Princess,” said Trixie as she motioned towards Twilight’s wings.

With no response from the shamed lavender forthcoming, Trixie felt the time was right to take control. “I guess, I’ll be seeing you tomorrow, Twilight Sparkle. You better be ready because once Trixie becomes one of your close friends, Trixie will introduce you to her level two peanut butter crackers. Knowing you, you’ll barely be able to keep yourself from allowing your lewd thought pattern to turn into actions. Naturally, Trixie will be there to document the truth of your personality. What are friends for?” Donning her hat and cape, Trixie packed up her stage, and proceeded to roll her wagon through the Ponyville night, waving a hoof at the dumbfounded Twilight. "See you tomorrow, friend!"

Turning in the direction opposite of Trixie, Twilight began the short trek back to her home. Trixie is definitely interesting, and it was surprisingly easy to talk to her. It wasn’t as weird as I thought it could be. Twilight looked over her shoulder, but the showmare had already vanished from her line of sight. Even though she is overbearing, I can tell Trixie is a nice pony. I just wonder if the girls will be able forgive her because they can be frustratingly stubborn. The ponies at the show today looked happy when they were leaving, so that’s a good way to start this experiment. Tomorrow should be interesting.

Author's Note:

I'm just a novice writer so any recommendations on how to improve the quality of my writing are more than welcome. Thanks for reading.

Comments ( 30 )

Wait... How?

3113975

How what? How everything progresses? I don't want to leave anything unclear for anyone who reads this.:twilightoops:

Started reading because I hoped against logic that this would at last be a TrixiexSpike romance. But nope. It's just another Twixie story. Guess I'll keep this in my RL list on the off chance there will be some interaction between Spike and Trixie (which is ridiculously scarce, despite how important Spike is to Twilight and how often the fandom pairs her with Trixie). I'm also interested in seeing what you have in mind for filling in the mystery and ambiguity that characterizes Spike's origin.

3114097
All wil be revealed, keep your hopes up!:twilightsheepish:

3114104
Changed it. Thanks for the suggestion.:moustache:

24.media.tumblr.com/a257ad5165644b1f79354634dfdee284/tumblr_mqo61uYbwk1rj6vd5o1_400.png

This was really good. For a novice writer I am thoroughly impressed with your skill. Feel free to place this ribbon in the long description of this fic. Also from myself a like, a favorite, and a watch. I really hope this does well :raritywink:

I don't mean to be rude, but I feel like this story has been done at least 20 times before on this site.:applejackconfused:

I liked the jokes about the interviewing book, among other funny bits, but the eating part felt a little overdone. And I'm not just talking about Trixie- she's naturally over the top. Twilight's reactions to a peanut butter cracker go a little far.

3114385
It's been approved? I didn't really expect that to happen, thanks!

3114873
I'm sorry I wasn't able to make this story more unique for you. :fluttershysad:

3114965
But it was a really good peanut butter cracker.:twilightsheepish: I may have made her reaction to it a little too strong.:twilightoops:

It started off pretty good, and I like how Twi eats food in a perverted manner.

I love how Twi completely forgot the whole reason she went to Trixie's show at all.
:twilightoops:

This has been approved and will be added to my IRL library, Brony wing when completed.

Here's a twist for you! :twistnerd:

But the magic of friendship just may become something more.

Yeah... this is a Ship or Clopfic, isnt it?

3117006 Shipping is magic, sometimes. No clop.

3117047 Awesome, I always love a story with no clop in it! :rainbowkiss: I might just read this later and see how it turns out *Clicks the Read Later button* there!

Next update? it's interesting... Love Trxie and Twilight~ X3 :pinkiesmile::twilightblush:

3117322 Next update won't be too long from now. Classes come first though. I hate college.:facehoof:

3117362 same here... It's a Night mare! (Badum Tss) :trollestia:

3117398 But nevertheless... I need to endure it since it's my last year... hopefully~

3117403 Endure for one more year, it will be worth it, I think. I've got a long way to go.

3117430 Thanks~ you too... take care and good luck~ :twilightsmile: :pinkiesmile::yay:

Twilight eyed with eager eyes the small package highlighted by Trixie’s magical showing, but her eyes fell in disappointment at the sight of the package. “Those are just peanut butter crackers,” said the crestfallen Twilight. “I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a snack,” Twilight’s stomach grumbled in agreement.

Trixie has Peanut Butter Crackers!? "The great and powerful TRIXIEEE, needs some peanut butter crackers."

You have the makings of a great writer. The tools, the talent, you have all that. You just need to spend a bit more time “sanding the rough edges”. Specifically, I’m referring to the way you present information.

Too much information was posed in narrative form. Remember, any time you as the writer give information narratively, the immediate story is put on hold. This exposition, if not used correctly, can ruin an otherwise perfectly good scene.

To overcome this, the first thing to do is to look for information that is not necessary. Cut it. Next, look for information not critical to the moment. Delay it. More important information can often be stalled and later “hidden” with crafty dialogue, cleaver word choice, and the occasional thought of your central character. You’d be amazed how long readers are willing to be deprived of vital information, as long as the action keeps on coming (“action” referring to anything: from hair washing to car chase scenes).

Other than that, this piece was pretty impressive. I love the overriding concept, and I think as a whole, you could really have something here. Something that, with a bit of polishing, bronies and pegisisters alike will thoroughly enjoy.

3114965 this. Also, while Twilight loves the pursuit of knowledge, she hates burdening Celestia with anything at all. She'd probably scrounge bits from her library or become a street beggar before troubling Celestia over money.

3120247 the progression of story made perfect sense to me, and just about everyone else reading it if the comments are anything to go by. While the concept may have been done best in It Takes A Village, I liked the writing and the jokes actually made me smile. In other words, keep up the good work and don't let detractors get you down just because you're writing a familiar pairing. TwiDash gets away with more recycled scripts than you can shake a hoof at.

This has the making of a very fun down to "earth" story. Which is dificult enough for some about mlp.

I need more of this!

"Do not deny the power of the peanut butter crackers!" ....... >.>
just have all my like and my Fav! :pinkiehappy:
hehehe can't wait for more of this.:raritystarry:

Interesting first chapter. I like the story so far but I must read more of it! Hopefully you have a second chapter coming out soon.

It seems Twilight got caught up in the show and talking to Trixie afterwards. She forgot her original plan to find out about the entrance exam, and if Trixie went to the same school. I hope she finds out soon I have always asked myself that same question, and would like to see your take on why there aren't more baby dragons around. I also like Twixie a lot and want to see where it goes in this story. :twilightsmile:

Pretty good for an early work. Spelling, grammar, syntax and such, it checks out well.

The premise is interesting - Twilight wants to know how other unicorns fared with the egg test, and gets caught up in Trixie's excentricity. The storyline tends to meander quite a lot, though, and it's hard to follow the characters' line of thought a lot of the time, and they tend to act rather irrational a lot of the time. For instance, Twilight spends a ton of money on the deluxe tickets to ensure that she gets Trixie for herself (:trollestia:) while ignoring her hunger, but then decides to drop the whole thing because she wants to eat. There's also the bit about her 'farewell tour' that is made a big deal of at first, but not mentioned at all later, although that may be explained in later chapters. And there's also a lot of dialogue and thoughts that, frankly, sounds very convoluted. Makes me think "Do people really talk like that?"

All things considered, could do with some improvement, but seems interesting and intriguing. I would like to see a continuation.

3120068 OMG! Yes! I'm not the only one who thought about that!

I loved loved loved this story; however, I'm completely confused what exactly happened during the show. How did Twilight miss the whole thing like that?

Login or register to comment