The Goodfic Bin 1,255 members · 1,297 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

Hey all,

I am seeking school appropriate stories to be read aloud to an after school program.

Thus far we have read...

Anthropology

On A cross and Arrow

Dragon King's Rebirth

Just a Bad Colt

Nightmare Jack

Scorched

And Turbulence

My class loved hearing these stories and especially liked ones with funny moment and action.

-I can glaze over mild swearing.

-no sexuality, but romance if it's tame.

So, ideas?

I think Pinkie Pie is Your Pinkie would be enjoyed by kids. It's a short, funny story.

How about "The Dash and the Furry-ous " by UniqueSKD , "Little Lyra and You" by Smexy Sombra, or "Muffin Problems" by ChocolateFan25.

4698938 You might want to check out the group Fanfics for Family .

4698938 To Befriend is Human minus chapter 11 which I think author made its own story

You MIGHT consider The Marvelous Misadventures of Shining Armor and the CMC, but I would pre-read it were I you just to be safe.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/96906/the-marvelous-misadventures-of-shining-armor-and-the-cmc

Here is another you might like called There's Nopny I'd Rather Be Then Me" which is a MLP x Wreck it Ralph Cross over.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/264092/theres-nopony-id-rather-be-than-me

Try these stories:

The Battle of Fort Book
Sweetie Belle Discovers Rarity's Greatest Secret
Three Little Fillies
Woona Wants More Cookies!
The Epic Battle Of Good Versus Slightly Less Good But Still Pretty Good In The Long Run
Reading Rainbow
The Brief Reign of Princess Twily
Yes, Apple Bloom, There is a Santa Hooves
A Simpler Time
Sudsy Adventures
Spike Has a Bad Night's Sleep
Awaken, Scootaloo
Breakfast at Twilight's
Composing a Dream
Princess Celestia? Do You Have a Belly Button?
Luna, the Hide-And-Seek Master
May I Sleep on You?
You Really Bug Me
Sisterly Cuddles
I'm Pancake!
Rarity is Forced to Take Multiple Pies to the Face
Luna and the Cookie Jar
That Nagging Feeling
Keeping Your Hooves on the Ground
When They Were Young: To the Moon!
When They Were Young: The Box Queen and the Dracony
When They Were Young: Operation: Cookie Liberation
Dread Pirate Spoons
The Great Muffin War
Trixie Lulamoon, Prodigy

These are the ones I can think on top of my head. I'll update this post if I can find more cute and fluffy stories in my "Short Stories" bookshelf.

Edit: I added more.

Do they have to be short, or can they be 200,000 word epics?

If so, I'd recommend the Immortal Game. If I remember correctly, there weren't any inappropriate moments outside of some mild violence in combat, but I don't find that inappropriate at all.

It's a very gripping story that details the struggle between gods and the mortals they created, and the main-antagonist is probably one of the most intimidating forces I've ever had the pleasure of reading. You can practically feel his alleged power seep from the words. It practically feels like a pony Lord of the Rings. What age group is this exactly?

Feel bad for tooting my own horn here, but my fic Apple Bloom's Day Off was specifically written with a Tom & Jerry/Loony Toons-esque humor to it. Do kids today relate to that still? If so, by all means, use away!

a Tom & Jerry/Loony Toons-esque humor to it. Do kids today relate to that still? If so, by all means, use away!

I'm sure they do. Otherwise the "Baby Cakes" episode would not have worked, as it's pretty much a Warner Bros. cartoon, staring Pinkie instead of Daffy Duck, or Roger Rabbit.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4698938 I'd personally recommend Peachy Pie's Very Special Somepony (Romance), A Game of Kings and Pretty Pony Princesses (adventure, comedy), Quoth the Raven (superhero stuff, adventure, some darker bits). I probably think a classroom of around 11-16 year olds will get the most mileage out of the last one, since it doesn't coddle them quite as much as the two former. Shooting for Friendship is also a decent one too. All of these are generally kid friendly (so long as you're aiming at above ten year olds, I should think you're fine) and are also generally short and easy to enjoy, no matter who you are (so pretty good for a wide range of tastes). Those are just a few off the top of my head: there are many more that will fit the bill in the bin.

Other than that, a few of my own stories are generally pretty kid friendly, with only mild sexual implications for the romance ones. Even then, nothing to really get shocked at, even if you are twelve.

Typically, aim for the E rated stuff. Some T is good too, you just have to know where to look.

Karibela
Group Contributor

4698938 Chronicles of Narnia, bae! :pinkiehappy:

What? You didn't say it had to be pony related.

Elric of Melnipony
Group Contributor

How old are the kids in question?

4700042 yes but I also said good stories.

Hah! Just kidding!

Elric of Melnipony
Group Contributor

Good to know, thanks. :pinkiesmile:

I strongly agree with the suggestion above for The Battle of Fort Book -- it's one of my personal favorites. It's a very cute story about imagination that stars young Twilight Sparkle, with supporting roles for foalsitter Cadance, BBBFF Shining Armor, and Smarty-Pants. :twilightsmile:

I've written something called Special Talents, where each chapter is a mini-story about a filly getting her cutie mark. They're all cute 'n' fluffy, but the chapter for Peachy Pie is probably the most child-friendly of the bunch.

Ooh! A story with Peachy Pie! :rainbowkiss:

I thought I was the only one who'd written about her!

Elric of Melnipony
Group Contributor

She's also in the chapter for her best friend Sunny. :pinkiehappy:

Yeah, Sunny Daze is in my Peachy Pie story too.

In fact, I also gave them a cameo in one of my clop stories (in a non-sex scene).

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23