• Published 22nd Apr 2013
  • 2,235 Views, 52 Comments

Futility - FaelaArts



Everyone gives into hopelessness eventually. When you're the only pony left in the world, and your name isn't actually Twilight Sparkle, what is there to hope for?

  • ...
6
 52
 2,235

The After

In a small corner of the world, a weirdly shaped spike vanished, revealing three Alicorn forms. The pink one was the first to awaken, and seeing her world restored her wings spread in open love to see that it had recovered so well. The second, a mare a dark as the night merely opened one eye to the sun overhead, and her horn sparkled to life. Her sister’s horn copied the action, and the sun set willingly. Finished their routine, the three stood together and touched horns and closed their eyes, flaring their wings. They opened and their combined magical power activated a second spell, crafted by a talented mare who had cast a failsafe on her deathbed.

The spell cast, the three collapsed and fell straight back into slumber. It would be a full night before they would awaken to merely perform their duty before falling back to rest. This would occur for a full three days before a ragtag group of five ponies finally found them.

“Did the spell work? Are my little ponies revived?” They all nodded at the white Alicorn, her coat fluttering gently in the breeze.

“The spell worked, just like Twilight said it would.” They all glanced toward the hill, and the three Alicorns raised their heads to look at the lone figure on the hill, and smile warmly in relief.

“Maybe she held a little hope after all.”



Twilight log 50
Day 4 after I died
Life…Ponies seem to like to pretend they are never going to die here anymore. They seem to think if they perish the great Twilight will bring them back to life.

‘The great Twilight’ as they call her died pouring everything she had into the spell so that anypony could activate it with a small magical talent.

I…cannot explain what happened, for I cannot describe the difference since I died. I mean, of course this is heaven, so of course the world is bright and lush.

It is strange, it’s so familiar.

The archives have been unsealed, vast tomes of knowledge beckon me at every corner of my new home. I also find it strange my diary was in the nook I left it in, but it is of no importance.

After the night fell for the first day, I noticed that I could see shapes in the distance, so I packed my belongings and followed them. They found me following, and they were so happy to see me ‘alive’ for some reason.

They seemed to understand my confusion, and said it did not matter as long as I was alive.

It…

I would have to be stone cold not to feel slightly warmer at that thought. After a few days of travel, actual days, we arrived at where the three Alicorns I head read about were. When they saw me they showed the same looks at the others had.

It’s been a rollercoaster since then. So much work has to be done, I’ve even started keeping checklists so I don’t forget all my duties as ‘archive unlocker’.

I’m even allowed to take 5 books from each archive and use a spell I was taught to transport them to my ‘home’.

It is always so hard picking JUST five, but it is always better then none.

Speaking of this being heaven, there is something else that appeared when I woke up. I find it strange, but I welcome it all the same. It certainly makes traveling easier.

The ponies speaking about living forever, if this is indeed heaven there is a chance there is a forever. One can indeed hope.

Ah…
Hope…

It’s…nice…

I hope heaven lasts forever. But while my doubt tells me it won’t, I can’t help but enjoy the feeling of the world around me.

This hope, it’s…

Amazing.

Almost as good as friendship.

Almost.

Author's Note:

Since this is mlp, it has to have a happy ending. It's kinda an unspoken rule. If it doesn't have a sad tag, it has to have a happy ending. Dark's the same, grimdark too. It depends on the setting. :\\
And I like writing happy endings.
I hope you enjoyed it, it was nice writing a story about Twilight being all alone.(By that I mean about hopelessness)
I certainly enjoyed writing it.

Comments ( 14 )

I'll admit, I'm a sucker for happy endings as well. While there were a lot of nooks and crannies that were only hinted at, it still made for an interesting journey. Short but poignant. :twilightsmile:

She went to heaven and still writes in a journal.
Ha! :rainbowlaugh:

2701909
OR DID SHE
Consider this then
If your entire life was lived alone in a barren wasteland, and you woke up to suddenly see a lush landscape and creatures everywhere, would you not consider it heaven?
Consider this also
Her journal came with her.
Consider this also
:ajsmug:

2701948
Mah brain!
You choking it with harsh questions and info!
:raritydespair:

very good....that is all, very good

5335862 Oh wow, thanks ^^

Yay, happy endings, I do like stories with a bit more meat to them but this works for the most part. joblo.com/newsimages1/BT_3_excel.jpg

Ok, I'm about say some disparaging things here, but just keep in mind that anything I don't complain about is therefore excellent. I didn't like the last chapter. It's really odd because like many people on the comment section I am a sucker for happy endings. However, I feel that the melancholy ending of chapter 4 was a good capstone. It was bittersweet, thought provoking, even philosophical. I often point to The Giver by Lois Lowry as an example of this situation. The dramatic tension was built up well right up until the last couple paragraphs where the main character leaves the village and then a perfectly melancholy ending was ruined by "and then he sledded down the hill into happiness" or something similar. While there's nothing wrong inside the chapter itself (far from it, it keeps the tone quite nicely), I feel that the story itself was fine without the epilogue.

As of reading "End" I found myself drawn into an introspective mood pondering the depth and hidden meaning of the little actions and not just the things that were said, but the things that weren't as well. Adding in "The After" brings up more questions that it resolves. Is this Twilight the same one as the one that ascended? Did this Twilight make the new world in the image of her imagined world? Was it an imaginary world? How is this Twilight related to the princess Twilight? There clearly is at least enough evidence to make some connection. The love of books, the checklists, all of princess Twilight's friends. And now that I'm poking holes in it, what about Twilight's mother? If Twilight's mother could keep the spikes from killing Twilight every "promised day" while she grew up wouldn't that make her more powerful than Twilight? Who was her father? Possibly the most fridge horror questions is this: Since the magic in the spikes was used to purportedly bring back life to the planet and resurrect the dead ponies, wouldn't that mean that every time Twilight used that spell to get water/food (admittedly we've only seen evidence of two uses) where she breaks down the spike wouldn't that mean she is, in some sense, consuming the essence of other ponies?

Out of curiosity, after being reminded of this fic I came here to see what I had said about it in the comments. When I searched though, I find that I neglected to comment all together! This is unacceptable, considering this is one of the most interesting stories I have ever come across. My only explanation for such a slight is that I must have been too excited to see what happens next and just forgot. For anyone skimming the comments to see if this story is good, stop that and just go read it. It's worth it. Go on, shoo. Get on with it!

Login or register to comment