• Published 22nd Apr 2013
  • 2,235 Views, 52 Comments

Futility - FaelaArts



Everyone gives into hopelessness eventually. When you're the only pony left in the world, and your name isn't actually Twilight Sparkle, what is there to hope for?

  • ...
6
 52
 2,235

Destination


The lone figure stared at the building before her with uninterested eyes. It was a box, made out of a material she didn’t recognise. Walking around the sides, she realised each side held a door of some description. To the side of each door was a small circular impression.

“I stand corrected, it’s not a box, but an L.” After turning a corner she head realised that the building was a big L shape and not merely a square, not that that made any difference to her. Walking to one of the door she glanced to the impressions and noticed this door was already taken, the impression filled with a badly eroded coin. Walking around the building again, she realised all the doors had one, all but one. Pulling the coin out, she glanced to it and paused.

After a moment she gave a shrug and inserted it, hearing a faint click. The door swung open, pushing the sand away from it as it swung outward. She gazed inside toward the darkness, and listened. There was no sound, it was completely silent. Glancing behind her to the landscape, she heaved a sigh and stepped inside.

There was dust everywhere, and she began taking shallow breaths so as not to disturb it. Her horn flickered to life, and a small light spell lit her area. There were a lot of books, shimmering with barely holding spells of preservation Walking down the long corridor she eventually saw the bookshelves end and instead be replace with different materials. Some seemed pointless, like fabric or some plastic apples, but at the middle section she found the jackpot.

There were crates upon crates of food, stretching a fair distance in either direction. Opening one she saw they were filled with cans, anyone inside wouldn’t starve that was for sure. Her ear twitched as a click sounded, and she turned to look toward the centre of the cramped corridor, and a chill entered her spine.

There were five dead bodies.

Click, she turned frantically in the direction of the door end began to run. The door was already halfway closed. No, she wasn’t going to make it she was going to be trapped in here and-

Slam.

Click.

Silence.

“No…Don’t leave me in here.” The lone mare fell to the floor, and felt all her strength leave her. She was trapped. No, magic might still help! She stood up and aimed a spell to disintegrate the door, like she did to the spikes. It hit the door, and dissipated, and she realised with a sinking heart what the material was.

This building was made out of a material that made this a pure magic sinkhole. Meaning magic was useless. Even now she could feel the pressure on her horn, daring her to use a spell other then a simple light spell. She was trapped.

Twilight log 50
Day 1 since last oasis.
After becoming trapped in what I assume is an archive by my own folly, I have begun going through what supplies I have inside here.

I have enough food for years, and there seems to be a natural spring in one corner, amazingly brimming with water. I have filled my bottled with it in case it dries up, but I doubt it will be for years.

The fabric was useful to make myself some clothes to keep myself warm, and it was a godsend in disguise. After being blessed with the sun for so long, I did not realise how much I needed the warmth to live.

I also found a large group of lanterns powered by both oil, which there is also crates of, and magic. I plan to use magic so as to keep the oil for emergencies.

There is also some cooking appliances, which means I will be able to cook my food much easier. They run off magic and oil too, but I wonder why they were put in an archive.

In the final corner of the room there was some exercise equipment. It is probably a good thing, it means I will not lose my fitness, if I ever happen to get out of here.

All in all it seems as if the builder wanted to make the ponies who fell for their trap as comfortable as they could be while they slowly died. I shall try to look into it.

I will end this entry off with a note about the books. There are a large range of books in here, almost filling up half a section of the L. There are books on medical, mechanical, and philosophical. I can’t help but feel a little excitement enter me as I think of what I will learn. But first I will start with the book titled ‘how to use the appliances in this building’ that was made to last even longer then the others.

I wonder who wrote these books, I wonder who made this building, I wonder why I was brought here only to die. I wish I could ask the other five ponies, but they are long dead. However it is so strange how they are so perfectly preserved. And I wonder how they got like that.

They have a similar spell cast on them to the books, which is so strange. Why would someone want to put some dead ponies in a position where their bodies would live forever? Well maybe not forever, but a very long time.

Either way, time will tell. Or not, I really do not seem to have a say in this. It looks like I will die in there, of old age or starvation I do not know yet. But maybe the answer lies in these books. I will keep this log updated as often as I can.

Time is harder to judge in here, but not much harder. I am used to not having a clock to go by. However, the small counter in the corner of the middle, near the cooking appliances and food, concerns me. It seems to be counting down to something, I hope I am not around to see what.

But I have a sneaking suspicion I will be.