• Published 27th Mar 2013
  • 4,420 Views, 598 Comments

Spike the Knight - vadram



Spikes fears the day Twilight will leave to fight for Equestria and never return.

  • ...
19
 598
 4,420

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 34 Stones

Stones


The crystals stopped glowing, and the cave darkened, what little light came from the distant fire was now completely blocked by something massive. Spike looked around hoping to catch a glimpse of Imamu, but, in the total darkness, all he could see were two bright orange eyes looking down at him.

The creature moved his hand towards Spike.

It moved slowly and it was huge, Spike’s entire body was just a little bit bigger than the palm of his the creatures hand. Imamu grabbed Spikes head between his index finger and his thumb and started turning him from side to side to get a better look at the damaged eye.

“I’m sorry kid, there is nothing we can do for it.”

“Am I going to have just one eye? Like a pirate?” he tried to laugh it off, but the prospect of actually losing one his eyes frighten him.

“It has to go, but do not worry, we will get you another.”

“What? Another eye?”

Before he could ask all manner of questions regarding the new organ, most of them referring to how they could do it and what it would look like, Imamu interrupted him

“It’s not a real eye, it’s more like a magic stone.”

“A stone? A STONE!” Spike yelled, his voice betraying a mixture of emotions, none of them positive towards the prospect of having a rock instead of an eye.

“Calm down kid. Yes, a stone, but it’s no ordinary rock. It will allow you to see, better even that you would with a normal eye, and it will look the same as your other eye. It would move like a normal eye, nobody... nopony if you prefer, could tell the difference.”

“Well, no normal pony at least,” Imamu unintentionally told Spike, as a remnant of the psychic link that allowed Imamu to talk to Spike, among other things, acted up and allowed some of the thing Imamu told himself using his inner voice to be heard by Spike.

“So nothing will be different?” Spike asked thinking it would be too good to be true, having bigger concern on his mind than the “no normal pony” part.

“There is a catch.”

“I knew it,” Spike thought. “There is always a catch.”

“You have to clean it from time to time, or else it will get blurry.”

“That’s it?” Spike asked surprised of by how underwhelming the catch actually was.

“That’s it.”

“So how do you clean an magic stone eye thingy?” Spike curiously asked. Deep down he was actually thankful for how odd and surreal the conversation actually was because it kept his mind focused on something else instead of thinking of the pain he was in.

“Well... thats the hard part. You have to take it out and burn it.”

“Take it out? Burn it?”

“Yeah it’s not that hard. Here look.”

Spike could feel Imamu’s fingers letting go of his head, and he could somewhat see the hand as it left the side of his head. One of the bright orange eyes disappeared from Spike’s sight, probably as Imamu’s hand covered it in order to remove it. Spike did not hear anything, no popping sound, no scream of pain, no nothing, and he did not see anything until Imamu’s hand returned in front of him holding a orange pebble, well it was more of the size of a regular ball, but between his massive fingers it looked like a pebble.

“See kid? Nothing to it,” Imamu told Spike as he held the orange pebble in front of the dragons face.

“I see...” Spike whimpered.

A black circle appeared on the surface of the pebble, it now more closely resembled an eye and it was staring at him, making Spike nervous.

“Nice trick isn’t it?”

“Tttrick...” Spike said his voice trembling.

“Once a new stone is added to a creature it becomes its eye.” Imamu told Spike, heavily emphasizing that it became its eye and not just a eye. “And since it is enchanted, even if you remove it you can still use it, it take a little getting use to it but it does come in handy from time to time.”

“Handy?”

“Uh... Kid you are hopeless, it is useful from time to time.”

“Ttthis... will take some getting used to.”

Imamu laughed and placed the eye back in its socket, again Spike couldn't hear any sound while he did that.

“She is done Imamu!” Kirabo screamed from outside. “But the sun had long since set.”

“Tell her to get to her place, we will come out shortly.”

“We?” Spike asked, briefly trying to move but failing miserably.

The pair of orange eyes disappeared from sight letting the light from the fire return, it did not last long. Soon the light was gone again and the eyes were back. Imamu picked Spike up in the palm of his hand, his feet were above his fingers and he was using his thenor (the muscle in the palm next to the thumb) as a pillow. It was an odd sensation to say the least, but at least he was sort of comfortable.

Imamu walked outside carrying Spike in his hand.

The sun had long since set and the moon was already high in the sky. At least it was a nice night, barely any clouds in sight, the stars shined bright and the full moon provided plenty of natural light.

Spike looked around to see if he could recognise anything, he didn’t, he had no idea where he was.

In front of him was a large clearing, now covered by glyphs and circular drawings similar to the one he sat in last week, this, however was on entirely different scale. His little circle could have not been more that three or four feet across, while this one was ten times bigger, at least, and a whole lot more complicated.

Apple Bloom stood in the middle of a circle, a circle located near the very center of the intricate pattern, there a smaller one with some things inside it next to hers and then an empty one beside it roughly the same size as the one she stood in.

Even if it was far away Spike managed to take a better look at the object in the middle circle, a few smoking bowls, some piles of unknown powders, Kirabo’s cloak filled with a clear liquid, presumably ursa tears, and the shell that holds the manticore’s venom.

“Everything is in place Imamu. But the sun is gone, so is the filly.”

“Apple Bloom~” Spike started sobbing.

Imamu walked closer to the drawing and moved his other hand underneath his cloak, returning it with a clenched fist, he was holding onto something.

Spike took his time to look at him, there was not much to see since he was entirely covered by his cloak, even his face was not visible since he had pulled his hood his head. His arm as far as Spike could see looked like Kirabo’s only a lot bigger. Standing upright he towered over everything, there were very little things Spike could compare him with, first he thought about the ursa, but he could not quite remember how big she was when she was not standing on all fours, same goes for the manticore... then it came to him, the timberwolf, not a timberwolf but The timberwolf, the giant timberwolf that he saved Applejack from. That must have been the luckiest day of his life, Twilight must have spent a week trying to calculate the odds of that small rock making the timberwolf choke. It was one in a very large number, one that only Twilight seemed to be able to read with a straight face.

He opened his hand to reveal a small, by comparison, spherical gem. Spike could only look for a second before having to close his eyes because of all the light it produced, it was like a miniature sun.

“A sun! Today’s sun!” Spike told himself as he realised what the item was.

That is it, that is how we are going to save Apple Bloom... and Zecora.

PreviousChapters Next