• Published 27th Mar 2013
  • 4,415 Views, 598 Comments

Spike the Knight - vadram



Spikes fears the day Twilight will leave to fight for Equestria and never return.

  • ...
19
 598
 4,415

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 73 Preparing to prepare

Preparing to prepare


Canceling Twilight’s meetings and sending the letters of apology would have taken Spike only a couple of hours after he found her day planner, but he still had a library to run, so it took him almost the entire day.

He took a break around one o’clock so that he could get something to eat as well as take something down to Twilight.

She was so busy studying the device Imamu told Spike to give her that she did not even noticed as Spike walked down the stairs, dinner in hand, and placed it on a table before leaving and shutting the door behind him.

He spent most of the day torn between his work as a librarian and his job as princesses Twilight assistant, leaving little time for him to think what had to be done over the next days so that Twilight would be fine for a whole week. Food had to be bought, supplies gathered and deliveries planned.

It was not like Twilight could not take care of herself, but she had the habit of getting caught up in her work that she sometimes forgot about the less significant things in life, like sleeping or eating, nevermind cleaning or shopping. Except when they were planned, and, since becoming princess of Ponyville, and having all the responsibilities and duties associated with the title thrusted onto her, she had even less time than before.

Twilight still spent times with her friends, even if it was far less than she would have wanted, and she was still the bearer or the Element of Magic, which meant that she still had to deal will all the threats to Equestria that the military or the princesses could not, would not, or just did not have time to deal with. And every time one of these crises presented itself her entire schedule would be thrown off.

Luckily, thanks to Spike’s little disappearing number, she managed to get a lot of work down yesterday, much to her heart’s and mind’s displeasure.

The clock struck twelve when Spike managed to put the finishing touches to his plan.

“If I am going to be leaving for a week, the least I can do is make sure Twilight doesn’t work herself to death.” he thought as he closed all the lights in the library and headed upstairs to sleep.

“I am sure I will have no problems convincing them to help,” he climbed into bed.

“Good night Twilight.”

No reply came. Spike lifted his head from his pillow and looked towards Twilight’s bed, it was empty.

“Guess she is still in her lab,” he got out of his bed and headed downstairs to check and see if she hadn’t fallen asleep.

When he reached the buildings main floor he remembered that he forgot to close the library for the day, so he went to the front door and locked it before heading towards the door that lead to the basement.

After opening the door and walking down a flight of stairs, Spike could see Twilight staring at a panel of blinking lights. He took a long look at the laboratory and noticed a few things out of place as well as several new, half hazardly build, devices.

In the middle of the room stood a the carved fang Imamu told Spike to give to Twilight. It was placed on a wire podium trapped inside a spherical glass device, that sort of resembled a lightbulb, the flame was still burning. The bottom part of the bulb was connected to another device that had the panel of blinking lights that had Twilight’s full attention, while attached to the glass via suction cups were several smaller devices. From each of them a multitude of color coded wires lead to even more devices that lay all over the room.

“Twilight, it’s late. Are you coming to bed?” Spike asked.

“In a minute.” she replied without taking her eyes from the panel.

Twilight levitated a quill and a clipboard towards her, and Spike knew that despite what she said, she won’t be coming to bed anytime soon.

“Night Twi,” he said after walking back up the stairs, before closing the door behind him.

“Aha...” Twilight responded several minutes later. Spike was long since gone and sound asleep by the time she answered.

PreviousChapters Next