• Published 27th Mar 2013
  • 4,398 Views, 598 Comments

Spike the Knight - vadram



Spikes fears the day Twilight will leave to fight for Equestria and never return.

  • ...
19
 598
 4,398

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 84 Morning? What morning?

Morning? What morning?


“Aaaa!” Spike screamed as he awoke from his dream covered in sweat and frantically checking his neck as if to see if his head was still attached to the rest of his body. Beside him, Apple Bloom jumped up, awoken by his scream.

“Spike, what happened?” she asked in her panicked state.

Confident that his neck was still intact, Spike stopped screaming and calmed down. “Bad dream,” he said with a weak smile on his face.

Luckily for him, it was too dark for the half sleeping pony to get a good look at his face, so she just grunted and tried to get back to sleep.

Spike looked around a bit, but all he could see was darkness. His hands moved across the floor trying to find for the remnants of their campfire. He searched for a bit until he found what he was looking for, because it was still warm, Spike assumed that barely an hour had passed since the flames had died down, meaning that they could only have been asleep for little more than two or three hours.

After shaking the ashes from his hand, he shook Apple Bloom, waking her up again.

“Wake up,” he talked to her as the filly opened her eyes. “It’s not safe here; we need to get a move on.”

“Spike,” Apple Bloom said before letting out a loud yawn,“didn’t you just say that we should stay here until morning?”

“I talked to Kirabo and he told me about this place.”

“What did he say?” she asked, rubbing her eyes trying to ward off the sleep.

“He told me that in this place, morning never comes.”

“You can’t mean?”

“No, nothing like that. It is just that the entire area is under some spell that is blocking the sun.”

“But it was daytime when we entered that part of the forest.”

“I didn’t really get how the spell works either; he just told me that the spell is triggered at sunset.”

“What are we going to do now?”

“Get your bags, we need to find Zecora and get out of here before you freeze to death.”

“I sure wished I had my cloak,” Apple Bloom said as she put her saddlebags back on.

“Same here,” Spike did the same with his backpack.

“Did he tell you where we can find her?”

“Not exactly, but he did tell me where she was heading towards. I think we are supposed to meet her there.”

“And where is that?” she asked.

“In the middle of the city there is a small building. It is about the size of this room and it has no windows, only a large door with some stone flower on it.”

“One last question,” Apple Bloom said after she tighten the saddlebag around her waist, “how are we going to get there? I can’t see my hoof in front of my face,” she said, actually waving her hoof in front of her face.

“Leave that to me,” Spike told her closing his eyes.

“Okay Spike, you can do it. Just like Kirabo taught you,” he took deep breaths as he concentrated.

“Spike?” Apple Bloom asked looking around for him. “What is that supposed to mean?”

Spike did not respond.

“Spike, this is not funny.”

Still no response.

“Spike!” she yelled.

Once he opened his eyes, Spike could feel a splitting pain lance through his head. He felt nauseous and experienced a horrible sense of vertigo. He blinked rapidly, and in his dizziness wobbled until his knees gave way and he fell down upon them, catching himself upon his outstretched hands.

He was close to throwing up when he closed his eyes. He could feeling his headache vanishing, his stomach calming down, and his strength slowly returning to him.

“Spike!” Apple Bloom called his name again.

“Wait,” he replied,“just give me a moment.”

“Okay, baby steps it is.”

Spike sat down and put his hand over his left eye while opening the right one. Taking a look around the room, he concluded that he could indeed see nothing. He repeated the process with his left eye opened, and his right closed.

At first, everything looked the same: black. But slowly, blurry shapes starting appearing before coming into focus. Spike could see everything that was in that room: from the pile of rubble that took up most of the space, to the remnants of their campfire, and even the little filly with an almost comically large saddlebag on her back. He could see everything, and it all was green.

He got up and walked towards Apple Bloom, his right palm still covering his eye, making sure he did not accidentally open it. She could hear his footsteps getting closer, but she could not see him, or anything for that matter.

“Spike?” she asked moving her head from side to side, trying to catch a glimpse of anything.

“I am right here,” he said placing his free arm on her back, startling the pony ho cried a shrill, "eep!", at the sudden contact. Spike chuckled at the sound, and Apple Bloom merely felt embarrassed by it.

“Sorry,” Spike said after he finished laughing. “Come on, we should get going,” he told her as he pushed her forward. “This way.”

“How can you tell?”

“Oh... Umm... “Maybe I shouldn't tell her.” Umm... we dragons see better in the dark than ponies.”

He was not lying to her. Dragons did see better than ponies during the nighttime, but not to that extent. In Spike’s particular case, he could normally see about as good as an ordinary cat. But his left eye was anything but normal, and right now, he was thankful for this.

PreviousChapters Next