• Published 10th Jun 2013
  • 6,204 Views, 441 Comments

Diary of an Aspiring Tyrant - SugarPesticide



Luna keeps a record of her attempts to overthrow Celestia and rule Equestria with an iron hoof. It doesn't work as planned.

  • ...
13
 441
 6,204

Entry Thirty-Two

September 25, 1000 ANM

I have made a breakthrough. I reentered the Dreamscape upon falling into slumber, and immediately began to ponder on what I could do to improve that miserable place. I did this while marching across the shattered landscape, for undoubtedly it would be more difficult for Evral to discover my precise location if I were constantly on the move.

With every step there was an unpleasant crunch, but I did not allow this fact to deter me. I had created this mess, and I would be sure to fix it somehow, regardless of how often the very space around me was stuffed with reminders of how I had ruined it through my little error.

Having lost all sense of direction in that place, it was by sheer coincidence that I chanced upon a yawning chasm. I cannot say for certain that chasm is the right word for it, but it was deep and black, so chasm I shall call it. When I tossed a diamond shard into its depths, I failed to hear the clink of impact. I watched as it fell, then waited in vain for several long seconds for a signal to the end of its sudden fall. No sound came forth, so I drew back slightly from the edge, pondering.

It may be difficult to believe, considering my sly intellect and disposition towards excellence, but in truth I had no plan regarding what I would do. Certainly there was the desire to renew the Dreamscape for the sake of the Dreams, but I must admit I had not given much thought to the steps between my goal and myself. At this point, it seemed unlikely that standing around doing nothing would help my cause to any degree, so I proceeded to take the only logical course of action and jumped into the chasm.

Not without open wings, of course! The Dreamscape is a place of wonder, yet it will not prevent carelessness from breaking bones or snapping sinews.

I drifted down into the blackness of the chasm, occasionally glancing upward to make sure that the entrance would not seal itself above me. It did not, though it did seem to shrink the further I descended. To prevent utter blindness from overtaking me, I lit my horn; the blue light shone off the jagged walls of the chasm, and I took care to avoid being sliced by protrusions of diamond glass.

After some time, a broad swath of darkness that my light could not penetrate caught my attention, and I ceased my descent in curiosity. Hovering there for a minute, I soon discerned that this was a cave set in the side of this unending abyss. As I watched, uncertain of whether to investigate or continue downwards, a brief flicker of light sparkled from within. A sign, perhaps? Nothing in the Dreamscape was a coincidence. My curiosity piqued, I ventured forward into this new entrance to discover what might lie within.

I did not have to walk far before I reached the far end of the tunnel. Nothing resided here save an ornate pedestal, upon which rested a large bowl bearing unusual carvings. Depicted there was a depiction of the creation of the world, which blended into a brief history of the world before showing what I presumed to be the utter annihilation of the universe. But thanks to the circular nature of the bowl, it would loop back into creation again, so I did not concern myself with those petty details. My current interest was in more immediate events.

I peered into the bowl to see a perfectly still surface of blinking liquid light, which glowed more steadily in response to my presence. I observed a scene taking shape within: that of an Equestria slumbering peacefully in my tranquil night. Soon day overtook the broad landscape, and ponies emerged from their homes prepared to face whatever tasks lay before them. I bit back my envy, for I knew there was no harm intended in their schedule. Thousands of years spent in diurnal living were difficult to break.

Near one hamlet, a handsome reindeer emerged from a wood, and the mare nearby greeted him without surprise. This bemused me, for as far as I have known, reindeer have been extinct since the Aries Apocalypse. But the solution to this puzzle soon presented itself, as he swiftly shifted, like a blur of light, into a swooping eagle. The mare laughed in response, and the two quickly engaged in a race that took them over hill and dale.

When I returned my attention to Equestria at large, similar scenes presented themselves to me. Dreams interacted with ponies in peace, and harmony blossomed throughout the land at their togetherness. I wondered for a moment if such would only be possible in the daylight hours, but the sun and moon were steadily replacing each other as I watched, signifying the usual cycle of light and darkness.

I drew back from the sight in wonder. Dreams in Equestria? Such an exodus had not previously occurred to me, but now that I contemplated the possibility, I could see the ingenuity of it. The matter of transport would be difficult, assuredly, but nevertheless it paled in comparison to the gargantuan task of returning the Dreamscape to its former glory. Would this not provide the Dreams with the joyous life they have sought for a millennium after my madness destroyed their home? And would the ponies not find peace and discovery in the introduction of new neighbors?

Truly this was a stroke of genius. All would find happiness, and I would receive allies out of gratitude. What could be better?

As I made up my mind, plumes of alicorn magic lit around the bowl in a ring of fire. I took that as a sign of assurance, and so departed from that place as the inklings of a plan formed within my mind. Once outside the cave I took flight, pushing myself out of that gloomy chasm with renewed purpose.

When I resurfaced, I found that my task would be somewhat simplified. A dozen Dreams awaited me at the edge in a myriad of shapes, all looking vaguely surprised that I had actually dared to return to their land. I took advantage of their indecision by speaking up, hoping to reshape their futures as soon as possible.

“I understand why you are here,” I told them. “Your Matriarch dislikes that I have again extended the hoof of friendship, and she wishes that I enter her presence immediately. Very well. Take me to her, and I will reveal a solution to your problem that will place me as the savior of Dreamkind for eons to come.”

They appeared uncertain now, which I interpreted as a good sign. If they were willing to listen to the words I had to say, it seemed likely that Evral would as well, despite her lust for revenge.

The Dreams stepped into formation around me, and the world shifted. Dark colors blurred in my vision before reshaping themselves into a familiar sight, yet it was one that shall never leave me for so long as I shall live.

The throne still remained, as did its occupant, but now the surrounding haze had cleared, and it was revealed to me that we were in the center of a vast stadium. In the seats surrounding us, reaching into obscurity within the haze that refused to clear higher up, there were seated hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions, of Dreams. They were a chittering mass of colors, shapes, and sizes, and the sheer weight of them threatened to crush me into a mewling foal before their eyes. Me, the Lady of Night! Of course I refused to tremble before this vast audience, and I stood firm in the sight of the Matriarch as she leaned in close.

As if signaled, the entirety of the Dream population quieted, and for a brief moment there was utter silence that even the vastness of space could not replicate. Then she spoke.

“Luna.” My name seemed to taste bitter in her mouth from sheer spite, and I could hear the underlying tremor of her voice as she strained not to devour me where I stood. “I have given you fair warning, Scourge of the Dreamscape. You were permitted to continue life in the world of waking, yet you failed to heed your survival instinct and returned to my domain. Your very soul is forfeit thanks to your insolence. Do you have any final words before you must endure a fate worse than death?”

“I am pleased that you asked,” I replied. “I have, in fact, thought of many words to share. Would you allow me to raise my voice? My intuition tells me that your subjects will wish to hear what I have to say.”

Her lip curled, giving me an excellent look at teeth meant for tearing. Nevertheless, she waved a claw almost dismissively, and I turned to the watching Dreams as I prepared to give them an opportunity that they had never imagined.

“Citizens of the Dreamscape!” I exclaimed, standing proud under the pressure of their countless eyes. “Your world is in shambles thanks to my foalishness. I will not deny that. Nor will I ask your forgiveness, for I understand that you have suffered in this hellish nightmare that I have inflicted. It is obvious that I am to blame, and for that you require penance.”

Murmurs of agreement crashed down on me in a great wave. At the corner of my eye Evral flicked her claw again, and they quieted.

“As you might expect, I have grown rather attached to my head,” I continued. “So I will propose a compromise. You will once again find life to be a blessing rather than a curse, and I will sacrifice much to make such a future come to pass.”

“You speak nonsense, Luna,” the Matriarch snapped. “Our efforts over the last thousand years have done nothing to restore the Dreamscape. Do not make promises you cannot hope to keep in your scrambling to cling to your miserable life.”

“The Dreamscape is broken,” I agreed. “It is either beyond repair, or it would require magic that rivals the power of a thousand gods to renew its former glory. Therefore, I have an alternative which you would be wise to consider.”

I paused for effect. All stared in anticipation.

“There is another world, a place of beauty and prosperity. It is the world of waking, Equestria. There are resources to spare a hundred times over, and the residents are enlightened enough not to panic at the sight of new neighbors. With all the power vested in me, I will create an escape from this wreck of the Dreamscape. No longer will sand slip through your hooves in undertaking the futile effort of restoring that which cannot be restored. Nevermore will your place of dwelling be beyond your comprehension. In a word, you will be free.”

My magic hastily covered my ears as an unimaginable roar physically pushed me back, though I dug in my hooves as best I could. From what muffled noise could slip through my spell, I could not determine whether their response was in approval or mockery. However, the fact that there was a reaction at all encouraged me. They could not dismiss me so easily now that I had offered a way out from their dreadful ruin.

The Matriarch hissed, and the stadium fell silent again. I found grudging admiration in her ability to command her subjects so easily. Perhaps when this is over I can seek lessons from her.

“That is impossible,” she said, but she could not hide the light in her eyes. “How do you expect to move all of my subjects to a new land when your power is still diminished? The force required would make moving mountains seem trivial in comparison.”

“You are assuming that copious amounts of force are required in the first place. Have you forgotten that the Dreamscape is a place of subtlety? Even the youngest of mortal foals can slip in and out of this place without an ounce of effort. It will be of no concern to reverse engineer such magic. There are spells of summoning and spells of imagination. What difficulty is there in combining them? Only a little alicorn magic is needed, and that, I assure you, has not left me entirely.”

She stared. The Dreams too stared. I had presented hope that they could never have expected, and they would need time to truly wrap their minds around it.

The Matriarch shifted. “I cannot imagine you would offer such a service to us without expecting something in return.”

“Such is hardly the case,” I lied. “It is my duty to right the wrongs I have wrought. If you hold me in your hearts in gratitude for it, why, so much for the better! But it is not required. I am only doing what I must do.”

She clicked her claws together in thought. It was the only sound in the world beyond my own breathing. Not even an errant cough broke the near stillness.

I cannot tell how much time passed before she finally sighed. “I still do not trust you in the slightest, Luna,” she said, “nor can this ever hope to fully atone for your crimes. Nevertheless, I would be an utter foal to pass up this opportunity. I will permit you to be our deliverer, and for that you might find some favor in my eyes.”

The Dreams cheered. Though I winced at the force of their voices, I smiled. I could do some good after all, and prove myself worthy of becoming a tyrant. Was there ever any doubt?

The Matriarch stood. “If we are to have our exodus,” she continued, somehow managing to be heard over her subjects without actually raising her voice, “I must take on a new form, and then we must prepare ourselves to adjust to the world of waking. There is little telling how a physical presence will affect our forms, so we must try something new.”

She closed her eyes, concentrated, and shifted. Her form collapsed in on itself, though I could not feel her power diminish in the slightest. The surface of her body hardened into a dark exoskeleton. Even when she had shrunk to my height, she still withered, until I worried for a moment that she might fade into nothingness before my very eyes. But she did not collapse into dust; on the contrary, as thin wings burst from her back, and as a mane and tail swiftly grew into full-sized bundles of stringy hair, I felt as though she had become more unbreakable than ever. When her eyes opened, there were but two of them, and they glinted with a light of their own.

“What do you think?” she asked, now speaking with a more ordinary voice, albeit one that wormed into my brain like oil. “Will this stand up to scrutiny?”

“I approve,” I told her. “Commence with your preparations. I shall begin my efforts to release all of Dreamkind from this glorified prison straightaway. Rest assured, I will keep you notified of my progress.”

“Do that.” She smirked. “Don’t make me regret giving you mercy.”

I nodded and prepared to depart. As I faded out of the Dreamscape, I caught her words as she addressed the gathered Dreams.

“My subjects!” she crowed. “This marks the beginning of a new era for our kind. I am no longer a simple Matriarch to soothe your injuries and alleviate your sorrows. Consider me as your ruler and queen, one who, with the help of Luna, will provide you with a chance to begin anew. No longer am I Evral, she who skulked on the throne! From this day forth, I am she who will lead all Dreams into a new golden age! I am the bringer of light and the savior of Dreamkind! I am Chrysalis!”