• Published 10th Jun 2013
  • 6,204 Views, 441 Comments

Diary of an Aspiring Tyrant - SugarPesticide



Luna keeps a record of her attempts to overthrow Celestia and rule Equestria with an iron hoof. It doesn't work as planned.

  • ...
13
 441
 6,204

Entry Four

June 24, 1000 ANM

Only upon waking very early this morning did it occur to me that, due to the passage of so many years, I should no longer have a son. With this realization in mind I leapt from my bed, darted down the long carpeted hallway that separates my chambers from those of Sister Dearest, and pounded on her door with all the force of a foal seeking entrance to a room full of candy.

She emerged with her bright and colorful mane perfect and pristine, as usual. My own bed-shuffled mane still feels woefully inadequate in comparison. Oh how I miss my lovely starry mane, with its showers of meteors and comets in miniature streaking through locks of pure blue! Alas, it will take time for me to regain my former glory, if ever.

"Well, of course you still have a son," Sister Dearest assured me once I expressed the lack of logic in this situation. "He still exists, after all, and I can hardly understand why you would disown him." A thoughtful crease marred her perfect brow. "Unless ... this is about that millennium again, isn't it. You're thinking he's passed away by now, haven't you? Don't worry, little sister, all is well. Please go back to bed and allow yourself to dream once more. I'll be glad to bring him to you first thing in the morning."

I bit back a retort about how it already was morning, regardless of whether her hideous ball of fire was blasting apart the sky. There was no need to antagonize her, especially in these earliest stages of my clever schemes (which is to say, their developmental processes). In any case, even I could recognize that I was not in my greatest form despite the late hour, and so I grudgingly returned to my quarters. The situation was not urgent, and I supposed no harm would come in allowing time to run its course until our next meeting.

So certain was I of awakening before the rest of the palace that I was quite shocked when, several hours later, Sister Dearest's gently prodding hoof poked me out of the realm of dreams. I was forced to exchange the image of a looming red sun of doom with its looming white keeper of doom, smiling down at my sleepy form with her perfect face.

"Rise and shine, Luna. Somepony here wants to see you."

It was then that I noticed the equally white form standing a few paces behind her, shuffling awkwardly in place. At the sound of Sister Dearest's voice, the stallion turned his nose to me while simultaneously keeping it pointed towards the ceiling, but something flickered in his eyes at the sight of me as he smiled.

It was one of the few genuine smiles I have ever seen on his face, and I must say the effect is nothing short of magical. He is physically handsome in all but the worst of circumstances, as many hopeful mothers were once eager to tell me, but when he smiles — truly smiles, without a smirk or a sneer to twist the corners of his mouth — it is as if a light comes on within him, and one can see that an inkling of inner goodness can peek out from behind his twisted old crone of narcissism.

"Mother!" he cried, breaking out of his haughty front to leap at me with outstretched hooves.

I smiled and embraced him, irritation with Sister Dearest and my current condition forgotten. "Oh, Blueblood, heart of hearts! How good it is to see you again, my darling, darling son!"

I suppose I should pause to explain to my dear reader, who may be more familiar with this stallion as a mere colt with less than admirable behavior, the nature of my relationship with young Prince Blueblood. In truth, he shares none of my blood; our connection has more to do with understanding than relation. I shall recount briefly of his past, as I believe that Equestria is sadly lacking in keeping its ancient history well known to all but a few lonely scholars.

Centuries in the past, not long before I turned to the Nightmare for guidance, Sister Dearest and I sought to vanquish the Shadow of the North, a monster called King Sombra by those who had not been driven mad in fear of him. While I can certainly appreciate anypony with a special talent for darkness, I could not endorse the way in which he had twisted it into sowing corruption and destruction within all he touched, so I decided to eliminate this potential rival in the field of tyranny. We confronted him at the Plains of Glass, horns humming with arcane spells of binding as we faced him and his armies of enslaved and corrupted crystal ponies. Tens of thousands of our honorable ponies led the charge against his forces of nightmares, diverting their attention as we soared directly towards our predatory prey. We unleashed our spells against him, and naturally he countered them with a wall of horrible roiling blackness.

Where his magic clashed with mine stood one unlucky young pony, our last standard-bearer, who was immediately consumed by our combined dark forces. At the moment we gave the unicorn no thought, so focused were we on casting our backup spells and banishing Sombra within the ice of the Crystal Empire. Only after it became apparent that the Empire too had vanished, and our soldiers stared into the spaces where their miserable foes had stood a second before, did the screaming catch our attention. So wracked was I with guilt that this unsuspecting pony had been caught in our crossfire, I tremblingly pulled him from the maddening storm of darkness and healed his wounds myself. Yet it seemed unlikely that his considerable stress would permit him any peace of mind, so I took him under my wing as my patient, then apprentice, then honorary son and co-conspirator in the plots of the New Lunar Republic.

Naturally, I assumed Blueblood had passed with the years despite the considerable dark powers he had been imbued with, so my shock and joy that he remained on Gaia's green earth prevented me from asking that nagging question for nearly half a minute.

"It was actually a very simple thing," Sister Dearest replied with a grin. "When I turned the Elements of Harmony on you — Nightmare Moon, that is — I was surprised when they blasted you into the moon rather than purify you. So hard were you blasted, in fact, that facets of your mind were dislodged and forced to latch onto the nearest living beings. No, don't worry! I have good reason to believe that the Elements healed your mind fully this time, for you interact with me as a loving sister should. In any case, poor Blueblood was overwhelmed by the Magic of Self-Awareness, and I was forced to begin the Rite of Ascension with him to ensure his survival and sanity."

"I didn't go through with it, of course." Blueblood emphasized his obvious statement with a glance at his wingless back. "Despite the honor it would grant me, being a princess is far from my desires, and likewise becoming an alicorn would mean losing a part of myself. I did end up immortal, fortunately."

This was an instance in which an explanation did not actually explain anything whatsoever, but I did not particularly care. My son still lives, and that is enough for me.

The three of us spent breakfast together, alone — Blueblood haughtily sent the servants away. I must say I am impressed that he can eat on his own now, even if he does leave his spoons hanging in midair to admire his reflection in their polished surfaces. Memories of our first years together still resurface, in which servants attempted to feed his nigh unresponsive form. My eyes misted over as I watched him daintily dip his silver utensils into his food, nose still inclined towards the ceiling.

"How have you been these last thousand years?" I asked him once we had concluded our meal. Sister Dearest was required at Court, as was her common duty, and the two of us who remained were content to pass the time with a stroll through the gardens. I must admit I was impressed with their considerable size, as our old castle at Everfree sadly limited itself to simple rows of tulips and daisies amidst the orchards. "I expect no trouble of note has come upon you."

"I have been quite well, Mother." He sniffed at the state of the gardeners as we passed them by. "Canterlot Palace is the best possible place for me, and so I have gotten along nicely."

"Good, very good." I nodded, waiting until we were out of earshot before speaking again. "Now, to important matters. How are our plans for the Lunar Republic?"

"Ah." He bit his lip in a gesture far from princely. "I have been meaning to speak with you on that. You see, I have compiled a great list of possible plans gleaned from various texts on political bylaws and whatnot, but it was a few years ago that I ran into an unexpected problem."

"And what would that problem be, my good son?"

"I would prefer not to speak of it, for it is quite frankly embarrassing and not befitting a prince's behavior in the slightest. I am, however, quite willing to create my list again."

"You will speak of the fate of your list, Blueblood, lest I confiscate your mirrors for the week."

"Mother, that is quite impossible. You should have guessed that I hold a monopoly on the mirror market."

"Be that as it may, I will use the Royal Canterlot Voice in your quarters if need be."

He blanched. "Did you not shout yourself hoarse two days ago? An incident with Poison Joke, I believe?"

"I did, but as you know my embarrassing incident, it is only fair that you tell me of yours." Seeing the hint of panic on his face, I softened my voice. "I promise that I shall not grow angry with you, Blueblood, if that is what you fear ... what you love."

Sickly confusion crept across his features at my slip, but he nevertheless sighed in resignation. "If you truly say so, Mother, then I will reveal the problem. I mistook it for a particularly dry sample of Canidian cuisine."

I froze. "Repeat yourself clearly, Blueblood."

"I ate it, Mother," he said more plainly. "Nothing salvageable remained of it in the end, at either end, despite my best efforts. To defend my action, I was highly stressed after a long session of croquet with the delegates from Canida, and my disappointment at my staggering loss was simply so high that my very judgment was impaired, and—"

I really must apologize to Blueblood when I next see him, for I fear that my scream of frustration may have shattered his eardrums as well as the nearby windows.

I am currently sulking in my quarters, as I have been for the last several hours. Not even the sight of Sister Dearest raising my moon from her balcony can raise my ire further. How can a single pony destroy the hopes and dreams of his mother so badly? Many instances of failures and disappointment seen in my subjects a millennium ago were not enough to prepare me for this.

Can I reconcile with him? I suppose I must, sooner or later. He is my son, and though his flesh and blood are his own, I cannot neglect him. In any case, I will need his help when I begin to set my still-budding plans into action. He may be a fool — neigh, he is an utter dunderhead — but he is my dunderhead, and I have taken him under my wing. Besides, any company in my mission is better than none. I will speak with him in the morning, assuming he has not taken to cowering under his bed with his eyes squeezed shut and a plump pillow pressed to either ear. Mothers and their children do have disagreements, do they not? Children make mistakes, and mothers get enraged and provide the runts with a generous helping of possible ear damage.

In any case, I will need my rest tonight. Sister Dearest has just passed by my door, preferring calling through it to barging through it today. She has given me some information that I have yet to process fully, and I believe that every ounce of strength and willpower I can get will be necessary when my patience is so tested in the morning. Please, O holy Iris and Gaia of sky and earth, please grant me thy strength so that I may overcome Sister Dearest's cheeriest of trials.

"Be sure to get up early tomorrow, Luna!" were her words. "That's when our daughter finally returns home from the Crystal Expanses!"