• Published 10th Jun 2013
  • 6,204 Views, 441 Comments

Diary of an Aspiring Tyrant - SugarPesticide



Luna keeps a record of her attempts to overthrow Celestia and rule Equestria with an iron hoof. It doesn't work as planned.

  • ...
13
 441
 6,204

Entry Five

June 25, 1000 ANM

As it turns out, I need not have been so concerned about Sister Dearest's tantalizing statement. "Our" daughter was merely Mi Amore Cadenza, which I suppose I should have suspected.

"So she is what you meant by 'our' daughter," I said upon noting that perfectly pink princess. "Really, Celestia, there was no need for your cryptic nonsense to confuse me. I may be traditional, but even you know that I am not that traditional."

"It's good to see you too, Auntie," the pink princess said wryly.

"My apologies. There seems to have been a misunderstanding regarding who is the focus of attention here." I inclined my head, already planning an escape route. "Greetings, Mi Amore Cadenza."

"Actually, I go by Cadence now. But Auntie Luna, it's just been so long since I've seen you! How are you able to even walk around after being trapped in the moon for a thousand years? I'd imagine that wouldn't be good for your muscles in the slightest."

"Hence why she remained resting in her room for her first day back." Sister Dearest draped a motherly wing across Mi Amore Cadenza's withers. "But alicorns are certainly hardier than even earth ponies, so it shouldn't be surprising that she's already up and about. You're quite familiar with how that concept works, I'm sure."

Mi Amore Cadenza blushed. "Anyway, Auntie Luna, I'm know you're wondering why Tia's trying to tell you that I'm your daughter."

"What gave you that revelation?" I raised a skeptical eye to Sister Dearest, who remained serenely smiling. "At best I was hoping that she had confused her pronouns. 'We' may be infinitely preferable to 'I', but that does not make it the most suitable of choices in every situation. In any case, I am surprised that you are not deceased by now ... pleasantly surprised, of course. Though I expect that your predicament is similar to Blueblood's?"

"Well, as you probably remember," that pink princess stated in that practiced tone of a schoolfilly reciting her letters, "she's my mother by birth. But it wasn't until you ... it wasn't until Nightmare Moon was blasted to the moon by the Elements of Harmony that I gained my immortality. Just as Blueblood received your dislodged Magic of Self-Awareness, I was hit with the Magic of Love, which kind of makes you my mother too. I got this neat mark as well that day." She angled her flank my direction, revealing a cutie mark resembling the Crystal Heart. I really must discover the fate of that powerful artifact, as it may find great use in my search for benevolent tyranny. "It's too bad, I've got to say ... remember all of those days you helped me in searching for my special talent? Those sure were the days."

"Yes," I lied, annoyance stirring in my heart. Why should Sister Dearest's spoiled daughter be treated to a godhood superior to that of my darling son? It is certainly unfair. I must remedy that problem as soon as I have become empress.

There was a moment of uncomfortable silence.

"Well," Sister Dearest finally spoke up, "you should probably know, Luna, that Cadence is known to the public as my niece as well as yours. It forces less publicity on her, which she is quite grateful for."

I frowned. "Will the common pony not wonder as to her parentage? Surely there has been some speculation as to why this virtual unknown should be the Princess of Love over them."

"Let them have their fun," she said, smiling still. At her side, Mi Amore Cadenza looked properly embarrassed. "My little ponies are never quite satisfied unless they have gossip to chew on. In any case, I must be off ... Court is beginning soon, and I must have my mind clear and sharp for all of their dear little squabbles. Come with me, dear Cadence, there's somepony I'd like you to meet ..."

As they departed, Mi Amore Cadenza turned her head towards me and mouthed some ominous words. I am not excellent at lip-reading, I fear love, so her meaning could have been many things. Of my superior guesses, however, I would imagine that she was attempting to say "I'm onto you," if only because the alternative "Fly on your shoe" was quickly proven incorrect by a hastily subtle check towards my lovely blue hooves.

Since then, I have been trying to uncover the meaning of her message. Does she suspect that I still seek a tyrannical rule, one that would displace her and her mother from their cushy thrones? Surely not, I would like to believe, for her upbringing has exposed to absolutely no malice and, consequentially, no experience. She cannot possibly fathom my goals. Yet the niggling sensation of doubt lingers at the back of my mind, waiting and whispering. I suppose I should be cautious as I begin. No doubt she will have her mother's ear attending to her every word.

But enough worry from you, my noble self. Tomorrow I will begin to put into action my first marvelous scheme! For now, I simply must ponder on where I can retrieve seventeen parcels of candy canes at this hour.