• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 2,067 Views, 45 Comments

An End - Someother Pony



Octavia decides that living with regret is too much.

  • ...
1
 45
 2,067

Where we go from here

Vinyl pushed open the door to the familiar house. This was Octavia’s house. She and Vinyl used to live here together, before that fight anyways. It was small but very well kept and in a good area. It looked… nothing like it used to.

Vinyl took in a deep breath to stabilize herself. Steel Helmet had advised her that to go here and see what she could find to maybe help Octavia. In the very least, it might provide some closure to her. She was starting to think it was a bad idea.

Looking around the house she saw things, little things, that wouldn’t be out of place if this was the house of some pony who was not, in fact, Octavia’s. The seats were scooted out of perfect symmetry. Octavia had a thing for everything in a room being symmetrical. That was noticed immediately upon entering the living area. There was dishes and a film of dust on the coffee table. This wasn’t normal for the mare that would get furious if anything was left on the coffee table overnight. Vinyl took a deep breath, before turning to the kitchen.

The sink was full of soiled plates and various cups, that was a completely foreign idea to her. Octavia would always insist that the day’s dishes were to be washed and put away. Vinyl had to calm down a bit before opening the fridge. She found nothing in there, and that was distressing. Octavia was always the type to have one more than needed of anything. For the fridge to be barren was just unnatural. She had to force herself to leave before she found anything else wrong.

Vinyl hesitated at the door to the bedroom. This was the bedroom they shared. This room no matter what stated it was going to be in this was going to be hard. She didn’t know if she even wanted to go in at all.

Vinyl continued to hesitate until Octavia’s bedroom alarm went off. That was at least right it was the ten o’clock. The alarm was never to wake Octavia up, no, she got in the habit of setting it to wake Vinyl up. Vinyl’s eyes got watery, but she made up her mind to go in.

Vinyl pushed open the door. It was all wrong. The bed not being made was to be a given. That was where they found Octavia after all. But the rest… The rest was completely unexpected. The layout of the room, which Octavia insisted on being rearranged every other month, hadn’t changed at all. Everything was in the same places as the last time Vinyl had seen the room. That wasn’t even the most distressing part. It was all broken…

At some point, Vinyl surmised, Octavia’s grief turned violent on herself. The mirror was shattered, the reading chair was smashed, the night stand and shelves looked like Octavia bucked them as hard as she could, and the worst was the cello. Octavia’s cello, it was undamaged, but it had a layer of dust on it that would have never ever been allowed to settle on it. It looked as if it hadn’t been moved not once in six months.

"This was a bad idea." Vinyl muttered as she took the rest of her strength to pull out a little book from between the mattress and the box spring. It was Octavia’s little secret that Vinyl never confessed to knowing. In hoofwritten lavender script the word Diary was written on the front cover.

Vinyl turned and left the house, not wanting to see the disturbing place any longer.

Vinyl entered Octavia’s room. She was given permission to stay with Octavia overnight. She still hadn’t woken up, but it wasn’t really expected that she would so soon. She walked over to Octavia and ran a hoof through her mane.

“What happened to you?” She knew where she could get those answers.

Vinyl pulled a chair up next to Octavia and opened the diary. Octavia was a nut about recording all of her thoughts and feelings. She knew just the page she had to read first.

October 15th,

I have broken up with Vinyl... it was hard. Very hard. I feel sick to my stomach and as if, there is an emptiness in me now. I had to do it. They were going to destroy both of our careers. I didn’t want to do it but Vinyl’s agent threatened to ruin her if I didn’t leave. Worst of all, I had to make Vinyl think it was what I wanted. I have my career at least... Perhaps I could just pour myself into work.

Octavia went on for the whole page but Vinyl had read enough. She was furious. Her agent was why they weren’t together. Her agent was why Octavia was in a spiral of self loathing that ended in her trying to kill herself? Vinyl seethed. It was hard for her not to just storm out of there right now, stick her hoof up Silver Star’s plot, and break it off at the knee. Then Vinyl remembered why she was here and looked down at Octavia’s face.

“Tomorrow.” Vinyl took a deep breath. “Tomorrow, I deal with that witch.” She laid her head down on Octavia’s bed and sung a little lullaby to her and Octy.

Author's Note:

So, the one-shot continues. In a predictable way, but It'll be okay in the end trust me. These were always supposed to be little segments of life for these two. Inserted wherever your head cannon wanted. With this though, it starts to be a story all of its own. Please enjoy, rate, and comment. Stay tuned for chapter three.

Comments ( 23 )

This is a tragedy OctaScratch fic, and you still have my fave and utmost attention. This is interesting, and I want to follow the development of this story. A brohoof to a felllow OctaScratch writer /)

1942384
(\ Without reserve! I am seeming to specialize in small doses of feels. I know when to stop writing when my eyes can't see the screen anymore. :raritydespair:

1942391
I know that feel. When I was writing The Letter, I told myself, "No, man, that's just too much!" But, unfortunately, my brain isn't an obedient organ :twilightsheepish:

My Feels hurt.:fluttershysad:
But the story so far has been amazing,Good Show!:twilightsmile:

1942500
Sorry about your feels, But glad you liked it! :twilightsmile:

I am so happy you decided to continue this story line. As for Vinyl's agent....... Celestia bless or curse her soul....

Jyes! I called it. Loving it. Saw a few missed commas but nothing big. Keep it up.

I cried.

And I cannot wait to see Vinyl rip 'that witch' a new one!

1959153
Then I have won and need to continue this story. :twilightsmile:

The hay?! Sigh, words cannot describe the myriad of emotion torrenting through me, depresion fics always strike a hard chord with me as I am also depressed, and fanfic helps... put two and two together. I am eager to see where this takes me, will I need a happy fic to compensate, or will I need a really bucked up twisted one to remind me that life is not that cruel? Please, the worst thing to do now is to drop it (unless it's a bass, then by all means drop it like it's hot). Damn, now you got me thinking them bad thoughts, got to go find my heavy wubs.

2211696 I feel bad cause I have the next chapter done I am just waiting on a thing... :fluttercry: But yes, go find a happy fic. I write a rather not happy one... and the next chapter isn't gonna be much better... :facehoof:

2212491 Waiting on what thing?!?!?! You don't actually have to tell me, I just want to know And really, did you just choose to ignor the musical puns?

2215048 I am pretty blind to puns cause a cretain friend of mine... I only really noticed them looking over it a second time.:twilightblush:If you really wanna ruin the suprise send me a PM.

MOARZ!!!:pinkiehappy:

Amazing work my friend!

Don't know why i started reading this, especially since it was started so long ago. Will iy be continued?

4905636 I actually have half the next part written. I've had that amount for about as long as the last current chapter has been up... The next part... its just hard for me to write. Such is the problem with sad fics I guess.

But, as the final word on it... Maybe. I want to get a little further in Sundown though. Then I will retry. Until then, perhaps I should put the cover art I comissioned for this piece up on it.

4905676
Alright. I got this down to watch. Don't know how i feel about the second chapter, but i'll have to read more to find out.

5590451 I spared her to be honest, just because it made me feel better about having written this.

I'm sorry for your loss and I wish there was any thing I could say to make that hurt go away, but the best I can do is write things that bring forth a similar feeling to help lessen the blow. One smaller hurt to help another much larger one. Its why the story exists in a way... Crying out in words because of pain I feel.

5590764 I am glad you spared her. It allows a more interesting story for me, because most of these fics I seem to find are simply character death and not post-suicide attempts. Except for one of them.

Omg. I love this! I know I'm really late for reading this story but it's so good! I can sort of relate to Vinyl Scratch as far as feeling hurt. My uncle committed suicide in 2004 and while the family has moved on, the pain doesn't go away so easily. MORE! PLZ!

i wanna know what happens after:fluttercry:

Login or register to comment