• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 1,838 Views, 11 Comments

Rain - CouchCrusader



One year after her return to Equestria, Princess Luna searches for her place in the world.

  • ...
2
 11
 1,838

Author's Notes

Behold, my very first foray into My Little Pony fanfiction. A couple of months after finishing the first season of Friendship is Magic, I stumbled across Equestria Daily and started reading fics because I was starving for more pony. It wasn't until Midnight Shadow announced the Happy Luna Competition in August of 2011 was I actually inspired to write fics myself. I figured I could contend with the quality the blog put up and sat down with this manuscript over the course of two weeks in Mexico and California.

I didn't win*. I didn't even come close--I wasn't going to have any luck against something like Tonight I Shall Be Laughter (a masterwork of precision and timing that leaves me convinced Cloudsdale has the best water park in all of Equestria. Go read it!). Still, I'm glad I wrote this fic, if only because it let me go completely wild with building some kind of history for Celestia and Luna. Of course, subsequent seasons of Friendship is Magic have all but thrown everything about this story into the garbage. Luna is emphatically not meek, she didn't invent rain, and what the heck was I trying to do with something like the Genesis Scales?

I suppose the answer was having fun. Blueshift recently wrote up an excellent blog outlining the deeper motivations behind this piece, but it all boils down to having questions about the show the fans can go wild in answering. Paradoxically, every new episode of Friendship is Magic takes away from what fic writers can put into the bowl of canon without getting their hand chopped off, and the questions are dwindling.

That's why I'm posting this story here. I don't care if 10 people read this or a hundred--I got a glimpse back into my first days as a member of this fandom, and I don't think I did a bad job of it. Plus, it's always worthwhile taking a step back to see where we're all coming from, especially when the way forward grows unclear.

After all: you've come this far.

Thank you for reading.

CouchCrusader


N.B.: Okay, okay. I needed something to run interference here while I get back on writing Via Equestria.

*Holy smokes, some of the names that entered this contest and didn't win? Click this post and scroll through the entries, y'all. Seriously.

Comments ( 7 )

AU, eh? Will read at work tomorrow.

1767641 Yeah. I did this for last year's Happy Luna contest over on EqD.

1768038

Ah. I remember that contest. Didn't read many entries. Never been a big fan of Luna overall.

This is beautiful and I don't care if it's canon or not I still adore it. And glad to hear you're going back to do more Via *squee*

Definetly good to see some movement from you here. Thought you went like Titanrising.

Did you ever manage to contact him?

Oh yeah and I read this during a thunderstorm. Atmosphere fit the piece perfectly :twilightsmile:

5302260 Oh snap, was I just Marquez'ed on my own story page?

I reviewed your story tonight find it here

Login or register to comment