• Published 5th Feb 2023
  • 516 Views, 11 Comments

A Light in the Dark Woods - ThePeer



I saw a bright light in the dark woods, they have come again, I took my rifle and prepared myself in the usual spot.

  • ...
2
 11
 516

The Purple Light

One Two Three… Breath

There was something out there… something was in the dark woods. The air was cold and moist, but I could still feel sweat slowly creep down the stock of my Springfield rifle.

One Two Three… Breath

The glint of the ever-present moonlight shined in my scope, it did not distract me, I was used to this. I stayed in position, knelt in a small bush, my rifle sat on a pond a protruding thick branch. It was not a new spot, I lived in these woods for 80 years now, ever since the end of the war, and I knew every little crevice of the woods like the back of my hand.

One Two Three… Breath

I knew they would come for me one day, I knew it was never over, those sick bastards. They were always looking for me, and today they found me. I slowly rose my hand, worn to be wrinkled and frail from the ever-present force of time, but still as steady as it was in days gone by. I adjusted the scope’s zoom with the small wheel to its side. I took a little pressure, as the scope was similarly worn away from time.

One Two Three… Breath

They took my friends, one by one, they killed them, and now they have come for me. But, they don’t know, they are not ready, I have been planning all these years for them.

One Two Three… Breath

I scanned the forest for movement, anything, the forest seemed empty, but, I knew it wasn’t. I made the same mistake once before, I’ll not make it again.

One Two Three… Breath

I remember how much I lost, I remembered why it all happened, because of them, those fucking bastards, they never truly left. They have been watching me, all these years. I saw them follow me when I went back home, every time I left the ranch, and went out into town, they were there. Posing as regular people, I knew they were not regular people, they were them, speaking in their thick angry accents. I could still hear them speaking their language when I was not looking. I knew it was them.

One Two Three… Breath

I did the only thing I could do to get away from them, I ran, ran back into the forest, and hid away, where it is safe. Safe from them.

One Two Th-.

My tempered breaths were suddenly cut off when I felt a sharp pain in my throat, it carried itself all the way up into my mouth, and my body begged me to release it. Quickly, I took my hand off the scope, and towards a small pouch to my side, where I grabbed a small worn napkin, already stained from many other incidents like this. I quickly rose it to my mouth and let out a raspy hacking cough, only silenced my quick action.

After a few seconds, I finally lifted the napkin from my face, as I took in raspy wheezed breaths. My eye only caught the crimson substance on the napkin for just a moment before I pocketed it again, they must have poisoned me years in advance, in preparation for this attack.

I placed my hand on the forestock of the rifle and took aim at the scope once again.

One Two Three… Breath

The forest was dark, darker than usual, not moments ago, it was lit up with a brilliant purple light. That's how they alerted me… alerted me of their presence in these woods. I knew they were out there, they were coming for me, coming to kill me, to finish what they tried to start all those years back. But I was not going to let them.

One Two Three… Breath
CRACK

My scope snapped to the left, I heard something out there, they stepped on a branch. I had to be careful, once I take my shot they will know where I am, I had to be steady, and be sure I picked my mark well.

One Two Three… Breath

A dim purple light shined in the woods followed by a foreign alien sound piercing my ears, a wholly unnatural shimmering. They were charging a weapon; I did not have a lot of time. I aimed carefully, at the light. Steadying my breath I slowly placed my reticle on the light, just as I practiced all these years.

One Two Three…
BANG!


The forest in front of me was lit up by the brilliant yellow light from my muzzle flash, a loud crack rang out into the forest, causing the birds resting in the trees, to scurry away in sheer fright.

Out in the distance, I heard a distinct feminine scream.

I rose from the bushes and moved my hand from the stock to the bolt. I snapped the bolt back and forward, racking in another round. I killed another kraut today, let's hope they don’t go looking for their friend again, like last time.

The leaves of the forest floor cracked under my boots, as I approached the bastard. I had to make sure they were finished, so they don’t go and report back to their friends.

I trekked past a couple of trees, before finally stopping in front of my target, it seems the nature of my enemy has changed.

Lying on the ground in the fetal position was a horse-like creature, about half my size, it had bright lavender fur, big purple eyes, wings on its back, and a horn split in two. I did not care what kind of kraut technology this thing must be, it was after me, and I had to finish it off.

“P-... P… Please…” The thing spoke, in a weak voice, surprisingly in English, must be some sort of trick. I slowly rose the rifle at the thing's head, another day I get to live.

Suddenly I heard something to my right, the distinct rapid clopping of hooves, I rose my rifle in its direction. Out from the darkness, running towards me, came another creature much like the one I just shot, it was about the same size, with white fur, and a darkish purple mane. Did it?... Did it have a tear in its eye?

I did not pull the trigger in time. The creature's horn pierced right into my stomach, I felt a sharp unbearable pain in my stomach, the creature's weight easily overpowered my old frail body. It pushed me to the floor into the dirt, and I let out a scream.

I saw the creature step back, it looked horrified, perhaps even at what it had just done; no, no it is not horrified, this thing was here trying to kill me, like the others who came before.

The creature, turned away from me, my crimson blood glistening on its horn in the moonlight. It approached its friend, it looked like it was crying “Twilight, are you okay!”

“My.. my horn… it... is it okay?... I need magic to get out of here… I-... I am sorry rarity”

The creatures were speaking to one another, they were trying to escape, I gathered all the strength I had left, and slowly rose the rifle off my bloody chest.

“Don’t worry.. Twilight, it's going to be alright, I will get us out of here, I-... I can learn the spell-”

“L-.... Rarity look out!”

The creature's weak voice was not enough to alert them in time. I fired my Springfield one last time. The crack of the bullet slammed right into the white-furred creature’s head, causing it to slump over, on top of its friend.

“Rarity!!”

I won… I rose my hand to cycle the bolt again, but I felt my hand fall away from the gun and onto the forest floor below me. I started to feel lightheaded, as cold blackness began to creep into the edges of my vision. As the darkness began to consume me I began to feel myself laughing, it was hilarious really, I won in the end, I always win, and I will always win forever.

Author's Note:

A quick story about an insane lad killing ponies

Poor Twi :fluttershysad:

Comments ( 11 )

Uh-huh...

So this guy thinks lavender unicorns are germans...

Pffft, good thing he died. He's stupid!

:ajbemused: The whole bunch of them were burned and wrecked, Not a twig left standing. Not a living thing left! it was all ash and smoke.
:facehoof: Spike wasted the whole planet
:rainbowderp:
:pinkiegasp: All those years waiting
:fluttercry: Only for a jack wagon to do something stupid
:flutterrage: Sic em Discord!
:ajsleepy: Don't blame Spike one bit.

I loved it, and the unknown of a magicless twilight trapped on Earth with the idea that they are savage killers, Damn it needs a sequel!

11498743
Well you know he is a wittle bit insane and traumatized from war and shit

11498845
It is an interesting concept, although if I ever make a story about twilight trapped on earth, it probably won't be related to this story

Fuck, that’s sad.

11498792 Spike went Spikezilla... and then wandered over to Japan! NOW WE KNOW!!! :pinkiegasp:

11498882 Bah, my grandfather would smack him upside the head. Grandpa was the ULTRA warrior. He was friggin' King Bradley all up the enemy's face, charging with TWO submachine guns and strafing entire regiments. In New Guinea, he dragged an antitank gun around and took out 3 Japanese light tanks all by himself to prevent a rout.

He was such an overwhelming badass that a Japanese general surrendered to him and presented my grandfather with his family katana, declaring that my grandfather fought as if he held the spirit of a samurai.

Dude was built like Captain America, and even at age 85 his handshake felt like it would crush every bone in your hand.

AND THIS LITTLE WHINY BABY BREAKS DOWN AND SHOOTS LITTLE UNICORNS?! UNFORGIVABLE!!! (ALONDRO RIPS INTO THE STORY WITH HIS GOD-LIKE DEUS EX SELF-INSERT POWERS, RAISES THE GUY FROM THE DEAD SO HE CAN SLAP THE GUY AROUND FOR HIS GRANDFATHER'S SAKE!!)

:trollestia:

11499210
:duck: 🎼 🎶 Oh no there goes Tokyo 🎶 Go Go Spikezilla! 🎵
:moustache: Woar!

11499216
Oh, I am not saying the guy is good or justifying what he did, Guy is a psychopath who was killing people in the woods for years before Twilight showed up. That whole german thing is just how he justified it in his head.

Also props to your Grand Dad, God damn legend
American hero o7

11499506 We even have a book where his contributions are mentioned. He was also in the Korean War, and received a letter of commendation from the head of the Korean Army for his contributions. We have that too.

He was actually supposed to receive the Medal of Honor for that tank battle, but the paperwork got lost. When at a military function, a 4-star general who knew him asked where the medal was, and found out he hadn't received it, the general wanted to redo the papers at once! My grandfather's response, "I didn't fight so someone could wipe my ass for me."

THAT is a hero.

Login or register to comment