• Published 9th Dec 2022
  • 734 Views, 6 Comments

A Very Daring Hearth's Warming - SuperPinkBrony12



(A sequel to "Rainbow Dash and the Daring Do Connection".) Rainbow Dash invites Daring Do to spend Hearth's Warming with her parents. That presents a problem when Daring and Windy haven't kept in touch in years.

  • ...
0
 6
 734

For Rainbow's Sake

For Daring Do, the holiday of Hearth's Warming was just another day in the year for her. After all, when one was an adventurer they couldn't exactly take a day off whenever they felt like it. And as they always said, evil never takes a holiday. So what if the Tonatiuh Basin had been quiet as of lately? That could change in a wingbeat, and Daring wanted to be ready for that possibility.

So it was that Daring was most surprised to be greeted at her cottage one day by none other than Rainbow Dash. Things had never been quite the same between the two pegasi since Rainbow had learned of Daring being her aunt. Rainbow had sent numerous letters to the adventurer, just trying to strike up a communication with her. Yet now here the rainbow maned pegasus was in all her glory. What reason could she have for such an unannounced visit?

Rainbow Dash wasted no time. She immediately locked eyes with her Aunt Daring (boy did it feel weird to refer to Daring Do like that) as she laid bare an invitation. "Hey, Aunt Daring."

Daring Do was still currently in her A. K. Yearling disguise, but knowing that her secret was safe with her niece she quickly shed it. "You know you don't have to call me that all the time, right?"

"But you're my aunt. It feels right to call you by what you are," Rainbow pointed out. "I know you've been living alone, and I've been trying to respect that. But I want you to be part of my life," Then she explained. "Anyway, I came here because I want to officially invite you."

Daring blinked slowly. "Invite me to what?"

With a smile on her face, the rainbow maned pegasus cheerfully told her aunt. "Why, to spend Hearth's Warming with me, of course. And with my mom and dad. They invite me to come up to see them every year, and this time I don't have a good excuse not to show up. And I figured, if I was going to go, you should come too."

The currently off-duty adventurer tried her best not to roll her eyes. "I haven't been back to Cloudsdale since... Celestia knows when. You know things have been complicated between your mom and I," An unhappy sigh escaped her lips. "Windy probably thinks I've dropped off the face of the world or something."

Rainbow Dash then encouraged. "So? That's all the more reason for you to come with me to Cloudsdale. Think of it as an overdue family reunion," Dropping to her back hooves she all but pleaded. "Please? I know what it's like to have a delicate relationship with somepony, I've had one with my parents since before I moved out. But family is family. Don't families try to get together during the holidays?"

Daring forced back a groan. "I get the feeling you'd drag me into it even if I said no."

"What?! No! I'd never do a thing like that!" Rainbow protested in what sounded like a sincere tone of voice.

Reluctantly, Daring shrugged her shoulders and adjusted her pith helmet. "Oh, alright. I suppose I do owe my sister this much. If only so she knows I'm still alive, I'll accompany you on your visit," But she was quick to warn. "Just, don't be surprised if your mom and I don't exactly get along right away."

Happily, the rainbow maned pegasus proudly proclaimed! "Great! Thanks a bunch, Aunt Daring! You won't regret this, I promise!"

Under her breath, the pegasus mare with a light gold coat muttered. "I hope not."


The very next day, Daring Do had temporarily donned once again her disguise of A. K. Yearling. It was the only way she could travel about without attracting unwanted attention. Or at least, that's what she told herself. Deep down, a part of her was already dreading the inevitable reunion with her sister, whom she had not seen or spoken to in Celestia knows how many years. To say nothing of the fact that her sister's special somepony was sure to be there. Would he resent Daring for not having been present in Windy or Rainbow's lives for so long?

Well, there was only one way to find out, much as Daring wished more than anything that she didn't have to do it. She'd given her niece her word, and Daring Do was not a pony who went back on her word for no reason.

Rainbow Dash met up with her aunt just outside of a place Daring had never seen before. It was a truly magnificent structure perched atop the clouds: At least two stories tall, decorated with columns and sporting a magnificent blue tiled roof. A little rainbow arch was carved above the front door, and all the windows were adorned in a lovely shade of blue. Daring was utterly speechless! She knew her sister had mentioned Bow and her moving to a "bigger house" after getting married, but she hadn't anticipated it being nearly this big.

"Yeah, I know, it's probably a lot fancier than that cottage you live in," Rainbow pointed out. "Even now that Mom and Dad are retired, they still like to live here. Probably because they have a shrine dedicated to me. I'm not kidding, they documented just about everything I did growing up: My first words, my first tooth, you name it."

A small pang of guilt formed inside of Daring as she recalled that she hadn't been present for any of those memories, which only further left her dreading what her sister and her brother-in-law were going to say when they finally laid eyes upon her after all these years.

The rainbow maned pegasus looked back to her adventurer aunt, quickly noticing the frown and the shrunken eyes. "Hey, it's okay, I already told them you'd be coming," She sought to reassure Daring. "They told me through their letters that they were looking forward to seeing you again. It can't be any harder than all those monsters you've faced down or all those dungeons you've crawled through, right?"

Daring managed to force out. "Well, no, but..."

Rainbow shook her head from side to side. "-But nothing," And she took her aunt by the hoof. "Come on! No way am I letting you back out of this! Family is family!"

Soon, Daring Do found herself face to face with Windy Whistles, who looked like she hadn't aged a day since Daring had seen her last. It was easy to see that Rainbow had inherited most of Windy's looks: The same coat color, the same eye color, even the same mane and tail style. About the only thing it seems Rainbow had inherited from Bow was that unmistakable rainbow mane and tail. Windy wore a bright yellow jacket, through which her cutie mark could be seen poking out.

And then of course, there was Bow Hothoof wearing that green jacket of his. He was definitely showing his age now considering that five o'clock shadow and beard he had, neither of which Daring could remember seeing on him when she'd seen him last. At least he still had that rainbow mane and tail in a buzz cut.

The expressions on Bow and Windy were hard to read, Windy's especially. They didn't exactly look warm and welcoming, but at the same time they didn't seem to be outright cold and hostile, even as they gazed into Daring's moderate rose eyes.


For a moment, Daring Do just stood there and gazed at Bow and Windy in speechlessness. Neither Bow or Windy spoke a word, as if silently daring Daring Do to speak first. Aside from the occasional blink, nopony said or did anything. They all just stood around, apparently waiting for something or somepony to break the silence.

At last, with a groan, Rainbow Dash impatiently exclaimed! "Oh come on! I know this is probably uncomfortable, but we're all family! You all knew who'd be here! Can't we just put things aside for one day? It is Hearth's Warming after all."

Daring gulped and swallowed hard as she tried to pluck up courage. "Rainbow Dash is... right," She reluctantly looked into Windy's eyes. "You've certainly raised her well, Windy. She's headstrong and very independent."

Windy's face seemed to ease itself into a smile as she finally spoke. "Oh, I know. But honestly, I think she gets it from you, Daring. I mean, Bow and I have always been outgoing, but our little Rainbow Dash was and is a lot like you from the day she was born. She was never afraid of anything, and Bow and I loved to cheer her on at whatever she set her mind to."

Bow seemed to adopt a goofy grin as he chuckled. "Even when she was just in diapers, little Dashie just didn't like to be tied down. It's no surprise she became a Wonderbolt, she had the can-do attitude of one from the day she was born. Windy and I have the pictures to prove it. Windy was very insistent that we document everything."

"So I've heard," Daring blinked slowly as she struggled to think of what to say. "I bet she wanted nothing more than to share those moments with me. And I... made her think I didn't want to be around her anymore because of you."

Windy shook her head from side to side. "Oh Daring, I knew that wasn't true. From the moment I started hearing about those books starring you, I could tell you that you were satisfied with the life you had. You always were more independent growing up, even though you were the younger sister."

The off-duty adventurer still replied in a somewhat glum tone of voice. "Still, that's no excuse for me just shutting you out of my life, Windy."

"It's all water under the bridge, Daring," Windy replied as she extended a wing for a wing shake. "I'm just glad you've finally decided to stop hiding and come back to see Bow and I."

Bow firmly nodded his head. "Windy couldn't stop gushing about you when she found out you were the star of a famous book series, or that it was all real. And I thought my life as a star hoofball player for Cloudsdale was exciting."

Rainbow smiled. It warmed her heart to see that so far, everything was proceeding nicely. There was no sign of bad blood between the two sisters, despite what she had feared. Of course, she knew more than anypony what it was like to put on an act, to wear a mask to hide your true emotions. When one was friends with Fluttershy, you kind of learned how to pick up on things that ponies might go to great lengths to hide. Everything seemed to be okay between Daring and Windy so far, but who knew if it would last?

After the two sisters shook wings, Windy smiled anew as she gestured a hoof. "Well, I think we've spent enough time standing around out here. Let's go inside and enjoy a traditional Hearth's Warming meal together. And then afterward, Daring, maybe I'll show you some of Rainbow Dash's baby pictures. Oh, she was the best foal ever!"

"MOM!" Rainbow whined as a raging blush broke out across her face. "Do you always have to bring up the baby pictures around visitors?"

Windy chuckled. "If someday you have foals of your own, my little Rainbow, you'll understand. Besides, this time I have an actual reason to show them off. I'm sure your Auntie Daring is quite curious to know about all the little escapades you got into as a little one."

"Don't forget the time little Dashie managed to literally tie you up!" Bow remarked with a grin and a knowing wink!


For a while, it was understandable that nopony would say anything around the dinner table. Everypony was much too focused on enjoying the traditional Hearth's Warming meal and all the food that was part of it. And given how much of an athlete she was, Rainbow Dash had a very big appetite.

Bow, Windy and Daring all ate their fill of food as well, though nowhere near as much as Rainbow Dash did. And if any of them were bothered by the messy eating Rainbow displayed, none of them said anything outwardly. In fact, Bow and Windy seemed to observe the whole thing with patient smiles, as if they'd seen it all before.

Eventually, however, there was nothing left to eat and yet everypony was still sitting around in silence. Now that awkward, uncomfortable air from before had returned.

This time, it was Daring Do who mustered up the courage to dispel the spell of silence. Finding the courage to speak and the words she wanted to say, she choked out. "So, what was it like?"

Bow and Windy exchanged mutual glances of confusion as Windy replied. "What was what like?"

Trying not to look ashamed on the outside (even as her voice conveyed how full of guilt and regret she was), Daring went on. "Raising Rainbow Dash, starting a family. What was it like to experience all that first hoof?"

Windy just smiled as her posture became relaxed. "It was like any parent's, I suppose. Sometimes it was a blessing, sometimes it was a major headache. Given how independent Rainbow Dash was almost from day one, it's no surprise I had a hard time keeping her tied down, figuratively and literally. She was always eager to prove herself, always eager to try something new and be the best at it."

Bow recalled with memories of his own. "Watching her grow up was hard. There were times when it felt like she was growing up too fast. Seeing her latch onto something and never let go of it, it could fill you with determination. I still remember taking her to her first Wonderbolts show when she was still a blank flank little filly. She fell in love with them overnight, and looking back on it I can tell that then and there, that's what she wanted to be when she grew up."

"That's part of the reason why I took so many pictures and preserved just about everything I could," Windy confessed. "Sure, it was mostly because I kept hoping to get in touch with you again, Daring. I know you would've made an excellent aunt to Rainbow Dash while she was growing up. But a part of me always secretly wished I could keep my little Dashie young forever, to always be there to hold her hoof and kiss her boo-boos. Preserving the memories was the next best thing, especially once she moved out."

Rainbow Dash then spoke up. "You guys could certainly take it too far, but when you finally found out I was a Wonderbolt I felt guilty for more or less cutting you out of my life," And she turned to Daring Do as she added. "I've seen what happens when we shut ponies out of our lives, even if we tell ourselves it's for a good reason. Family is family, no matter where you go or what you do. And isn't it important that families try to stay together, to work out whatever hardships they might have?"

Daring gulped anew. "Rainbow, I..."

But Windy threw up a hoof. "It's not like I'm entirely without blame, Daring. I knew we were drifting apart once Bow came on the scene, but I let myself get lost in loving him that I neglected to pay attention to you. To let you know that you'd still have a place in my heart," She rose from the table and trotted over to her sister. "It shouldn't have been up to you to make the first move to restore contact. I could've found out more about you at any point if I'd really wanted to. But I convinced myself that you didn't have a need for me anymore."

The off-duty adventurer profusely apologized. "Well, I know I can't change the past. But I'm here now. You're my sister, always have been and always will be. A part of me wanted to reach out to you all those years ago while I was off having adventures. But I always let something else get in the way, until now."

Bow Hothoof beamed a bright smile as he watched the two pegasus sisters embrace each other in a hug. "Oh, this is even better than the Hearth's Warming after Rainbow Dash got her cutie mark!" And then he added. "I think I could get used to having a pony like Daring Do as a sister-in-law."

Rainbow Dash, for her part, just breathed a sigh of relief. "Maybe now my Aunt Daring Do will be part of the family more often," She thought to herself. "I just hope she doesn't insist on seeing the baby pictures of me. I don't think I'd ever live down the humiliation of her knowing all the things I did as a foal."

Author's Note:

A guest reviewer on Fanfiction.net proposed the idea of a sequel involving Daring Do and Windy Whistles, and the idea of it involving Hearth's Warming intriqued me enough to write it.

I still can't be the only one who finds it odd how Daring Do is so similar to Rainbow Dash even after we finally met Rainbow's canonical parents in Season 7. I also wanted to try to tone down of some Bow and Windy's more obnoxious character traits.

Comments ( 6 )

nicely done and you tell me about the similarity.

Now I wonder...what your in-universe explanation would be why the royal guards look the same

11445070 Cloning spell if I had to guess. We know from Flash Sentry and Spearhead that it can't just be something from wearing the helmet and armor.

11445077
just wondered out loud if it was worth a story for you to try, Many think clones, others that its the armor, with Sentry's uniform not enchanched. A buddy of mine even got rid of that by pure logic: as its show budged, the guards in his universe have all their unique apperence

For a moment, Daring Do just stood there and gazed at Bow and Windy in speechlessness. Neither Bow or Windy spoke a word, as if silently daring Daring Do to speak first. Aside from the occasional blink, nopony said or did anything. They all just stood around, apparently waiting for something or somepony to break the silence.

Rainbow Dash then spoke up. "You guys could certainly take it too far, but when you finally found out I was a Wonderbolt I felt guilty for more or less cutting you out of my life," And she turned to Daring Do as she added. "I've seen what happens when we shut ponies out of our lives, even if we tell ourselves it's for a good reason. Family is family, no matter where you go or what you do. And isn't it important that families try to stay together, to work out whatever hardships they might have?"

I guess that makes sense why Rainbow Dash's parents are out of the loop for a long time that's really sad

Well it looks like hearts warming is here once again and Rainbow Dash decided to invite her aunt Daring Do and reunited with her sister Windy whistle she was very hesitant to see her again but she doesn't want to run away again she really did miss her so once they got to Cloudsdale she finally meet up with her sister and her brother-in-law at first things got a little awkward but somehow both of the sisters talk to each other and how much they really did miss each other and they really want to reconnect with each other and I will say this was a pretty nice one especially for the holidays to be with the family I got to say this was a pretty good one keep up the good work

Login or register to comment