• Published 4th Dec 2022
  • 3,419 Views, 12 Comments

Unintended Closure - Im a B O X



When Jason Write, the only human, decided to end it all, Celestia had a stern talk with Twilight.

  • ...
18
 12
 3,419

With Closure, There Is A Lost Opportunity

The news and media were quick to pick up on the catch for something juicy, be it lively or not. Contrary to what Jason probably knew, Canterlot was, more or less, devastated by his death, more so for even the upper-class scientific community from outside of Equestria.

Ponyville was a little bubble, and outside of the treatment that Jason received there, he was seen as nothing less than a golden opportunity, a being from another world from whom Equis could’ve been taught and learned after. A being who could’ve probably propelled them to a new era, a new opportunity.

Unfortunately, that was one thing that’s been lost with his death.


And so, somewhere beneath Canterlot, in one of the many cave systems that lead to and fro the castle’s basement, two ponies met in secret.

Twilight moved forwards with haste and nervousness, her hooves shaken up from the news she had heard, as she had just been informed this morning that Celestia had summoned her, which coincidently came after she received the news that the human that had been in that cave for the past three-odd years was dead.

Her hurried movements came to an abrupt halt when she saw another pony waiting for her, the figure’s figure being unmistakably that of the one and only, Princess Celestia.

Both lowered the hoods that kept their face hidden, revealing a less than pleasant expression on Celestia’s face, something that amplified Twilight’s fears and dread of what was about to come…

“So…” Twilight hesitantly began, wanting to make this as quickly as possible despite obviously being hindered by her own fears in the heat of the moment. “How’s it been, Princess?”

Celestia’s expression didn’t falter, on the contrary, it seemed to have made things a little bit worse, her expression slowly reflecting that there was an ominous part of her that held pent-up anger that was being held back from simply spilling loose. And as Twilight’s composure fell under pressure from her gaze, Celestia silently cast a noise-canceling bubble around them both.

“You got Jason killed.” She responded, keeping her composure as she went straight to the point.

“Well technically –” Twilight tried to protest, but Celestia wasn’t having it.

“By proxy no less!” she exclaimed. “I expected you to be an up-and-personal student, Twilight. But to grant yourself that plausible deniability? I expected better...”

Twilight winced, if the remark had come from anyone else, in truth, she wouldn’t’ve minded them, but therein is the hard truth of hearing it from her own mentor, it brought her a different kind and level of guilt.

“Twilight, have you ever, and I do mean ever, considered yourself a fortunate pony?”

That was out of nowhere, but she knew it had a straight answer. “O- Of course I do!”

“Then stop the act… please.” Celestia could only hold her composure for so long, and it ticked in her mind how Twilight was still in denial.

Twilight’s ear folded, knowing Celestia, it slowly killed her insider with just how far of an extent this screw-up might go. AND TO THINK! IT WAS A RESULT OF HER OWN PREJUDICE! “I– I thought that he was just a good for nothing! We already have the mirror portal and magic! I thought you sent him –”

“AND I DID. I SENT HIM TO YOU BECAUSE I EXPECTED YOU TO FIGURE OUT THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF PORTAL TRAVEL WITH HIM! YOU KNOW, TO FORM A FRIENDSHIP OR SOMETHING, NOT TO PUSH OUR ONLY OPPORTUNITY FOR IT DOWN THE DRAIN!” Celestia shouted in the Royal Canterlot voice.

“He was an unsung genius, Twilight. He held knowledge only Gods, Gods Twilight! A Knowledge we could've used, and only if we knew! He didn’t dare speak them to me because he knew he couldn’t trust me, not with my history. That was understandable, and so naturally, I sent him to you because I expected you to form a connection, one that would get him to open up.”

The noise-canceling bubble doing its job, whilst Twilight Sparkle started to tear up. Seeing her mentor angry like that, to the point that her once vibrant mane started to be replaced with a raging fire…

She was scared beyond comprehension like a child scared of her own parents. She knew it could’ve been prevented had she believed in better judgment… she was scared.

And Celestia could see this; deciding instead to shift focus as she breathed a reluctant sigh of disappointment. “Even so… that is now past us. I simply wished you would’ve told me sooner of your plight. Or better yet, having been reasonable in reaching out for help. I truly did believe in you, Twilight, you are the Princess of Friendship, after all, maybe I was expecting the impossible from my little ponies…”

“I –” the tears were too much for Twilight to hold back, and slowly, she began to sob profusely. “I- I’m s- sorry. F- For staying silent... F- for not doing enough! I’M SORRY!

Celestia could only remain stern for so long, after all, she too, was partly at fault. “And I too, am sorry, my little pony…”

As she caressed Twilight’s mane to help the young mare calm down, Celestia knew she had to work with what she had, and letting bygones be bygones was always a meaningful first step. “Twilight… I’m sorry for not realizing my fault. Maybe I expected something impossible, and I’m sorry for putting you under that. Although I would’ve preferred it if you opened up about Sunset Shimmer.”

And just like that, Twilight pushed her mentor away as she heard that name, eyes wide open from realization. “T- Then you knew! H- How! YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE! How they act and their destructiveness!

Twilight was on the verge of simply letting her rage let go at hearing that name, and amidst her sobbing cries, she couldn’t, she wouldn’t believe the thought of humans being anything more than brutes. “And Sunset Shimmer! YOU KNEW!?”

“Always have,” Celestia said, saddened but ultimately also sorry for her part and ignorance. “I will not say why or how, but I will ask you this; do you think these humans would’ve been able to reach a level of proficiency without that inherent competitiveness?” A sigh came, and reluctantly, Celestia tried to comfort her student again, slowly making her approach. “As much as I abhor their tendencies, they show promising results. Potentially consistent results. Something I wished to have capitalized on, as I was also thinking of a future beyond our future…”

Twilight could only look away, but ultimately, she knew what her mentor was doing, and she must also learn from such an example, letting bygones be bygones. Letting herself embrace her mentor, both locked themselves in a heartfelt hug. Silently promising themselves to do and be better, if not for their own sake, then for her student/mentor.

“What’ll happen to his body?” Twilight fearfully asked. Moving a bit to give themselves a bit of breathing room.

“Dark Magic, but he’ll likely be a howled husk of himself, so we’ll have to put him out of his misery again if that’s the case.” It was all that Celestia needed to say, and despite the calm tone, Twilight knew it ran deeper. And her expression became one from a somewhat reserved resolve to absolute dread. “After that, I’ll bury him in the castle gardens, maybe erect a statue in his honor, especially with what could’ve been; if I couldn’t do that, the least I could do was give him an unmarked tombstone...”

Apart from what was just said, Twilight only knew of two instances of a resurrection spell, of any kind, being used. This would be the third, and likely a shrouded one she wasn’t even supposed to know, let alone witness up close.

But that was a lost opportunity, another one now out of her reach because of the ignorance and prejudice she had harbored. She had cost not only herself but also the whole of Equis something greater.

And both knew it, leaving the conversation at that. Leaving themselves some room for improvement. And with Celestia giving a nod and dropping the noise-canceling bubble, both alicorns went their separate ways for the time being. Some much-needed reflection and improvement were needed for both of them.

And although Jason Wright’s death may have been a tragedy, an unfortunately unintended closure to one of Celestia’s many endeavors, one that was unwarranted… It may also be a sign, maybe it was another opportunity, as although he could’ve been the key to unlocking Interdimensional travel… an opportunity that could’ve brought something new, his death forever more cemented that maybe that wasn’t the right route to go. Equestria and the greater world may never know for sure.

Then again, perhaps the route of interdimensional travel is best reserved for only a dysfunctional scientist and his grandson, but who knows? There are still other possibilities.

But for now, with Twilight’s and Celestia’s decision to move on, this is a closure that neither came prepared for, but would have to live with for the rest of their lives…

Author's Note:

A little something I had for a while, not meant to be anything big, and putting my little spin on it.
I hope you found it enjoyable! :)

Comments ( 12 )

It kind of sounds like they were trying to use him.

You forgot to post the story in a few groups

Sounds like a intro for a conversion bureau series, good job!!! And thanks

11440353
8 notifications. I was like 'wut?'

Rick and Morty reference. Nice.

Then again, perhaps the route of interdimensional travel is best reserved for only a dysfunctional scientist and his grandson, but-

This bit is unnecessary. Why reference Rick and Morty on a serious work?

Interesting story.

Huk

That was a bit confusing... are they going to try to resurrect him or something :unsuresweetie:?

I would like to know what sunset shimmer would have to say to them, she knows what is to be human, she may have some strong words for both of them.

Hm.... Short and to the point at least.

Only two notes; one, to agree with most of the commenters here, weird take on the ponies in general as being this calous and/or stupid.
Also, Celestia talks like a 20 year old man... Just weird word and tone choices for her spoken lines.

I don't like this. They're upset of a lost scientific opportunity, not the fact he was a being with feelings and emotions.

And destructive tendencies?! Yeah, the ponies need some goddamn introspection, because from where I'm standing, they are just as bad, if not WORSE than humans here.

This seems like Celestia didn't care about him other than his travel potential. Thumbs down all around.

Login or register to comment