• Published 1st Nov 2022
  • 183 Views, 2 Comments

Nightmare Fight - ManeBrony



Rainbow and Applejack try to prove that they're braver than each other

  • ...
 2
 183

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

I'm determined to post a Nightmare Night story before the end of Halloween, and I have twelve hours, so if this isn't good, that's why.

"So why exactly are we going into the everfree forest?" asked Rainbow Dash.

Applejack responded, "Well it is just about the scariest place I can think of. Well, scary for some ponies that is."

Rainbow rolled her eyes, "Right. This is dumb. There are so many things to do on Nightmare Night that are way more fun than wandering around the woods."

Applejack looked at Rainbow who was flying slightly behind her, "Oh what like scaring other ponies with a storm cloud?"

"Hey you gotta admit that was pretty funny!"

Applejack giggled, "Well Rainbow you can leave anytime you'd like... If you're that scared."

Rainbow landed in front of Applejack, "Yeah right! I could stay out her all night long if it means beating you!"

"Well so could I!"

The two glared at each other for a moment, before continuing the walk, or fly in Rainbow's case.

"So what we're just gonna walk around and hope something 'scary' happens?" asked Rainbow.

Applejack nodded, "That was the plan. Something scary usually happens in the Everfree. Of course we could always go looking for something."

Rainbow thought, "Hmmm... I bet I can beat you to the cockatrice nest."

Applejack glared, "You're on!"

Rainbow Dash landed, and they both started running, seeing absolutely nothing wrong with this idea.

Rainbow spoke as she ran along side Applejack, "Y'know... It's pretty dark out here. You ever think something could just jump out at you?"

Applejack nodded, "Yeah I suppose it could. But I ain't too worried about anything we might run into. Why do you mention it? Is that something you're afraid of?"

Rainbow glared, "Nope. Just a thought."

Applejack smiled, satisfied with her comeback.

As they got closer to their destination they both sprinted for the final stretch, and they, of course, tied.

Rainbow smiled, "Ha! I win!"

Applejack scoffed, "You did not! I was at least a whole second ahead of you!"

"What are you blind?! I smoked you!"

"You didn't even-"

Their argument was interrupted by a loud hiss, and they both looked around in alarm. The two noticed a large flock of sleeping cockatrices, and stepped a bit closer to each other.

Applejack whispered, "Well here we are. What now?"

Rainbow Dash looked around at the sleeping monsters, noticing a cave, and pointing to it, "I bet you're not brave enough to go in there."

Applejack looked over and paused for a moment. She wasn't as ready to charge into the dark area. But she soon got over her hesitation, "You're on!" She said as she ran to the cave, being careful to be quiet.

Rainbow followed behind, trying to remain close to Applejack. Rainbow looked around as they walked towards gave, careful not to disturb any of the sleeping cockatrices, and then they entered.

"Sure is dark in here," said Applejack.

Rainbow leaned close to Applejack and whispered into her ear, "Sure is. Wonder if there are any bats in here."

Applejack paused and shuddered, "I'm s-sure there aren't."

Rainbow giggled silently, watching Applejack's discomfort, "They're so small...there could be dozens of them hiding all around us."

"Yeah yeah I get it!" Applejack shouted.

Rainbow started laughing, "What's wrong? You sca-"

Applejack covered Rainbow's mouth, "Don't you even say it!"

They were once again interrupted by the sound of another creature. This time it wasn't a hiss, it was a growl. The two paused, and slowly looked towards the noise, finding themselves face to face with a very unhappy looking manticore.

Rainbow and Applejack stood in shocked silence, staring at the monster, not moving or speaking, until Applejack spoke quietly, "Let's just back away..."

"Alright... Go ahead."

"What do you mean? You back up."

"You first."

"No, you first!"

"YOU FIRST!"

In response to the yelling, the manticore roared and slashed at them with it's claws, and Rainbow Dash and Applejack responded by running away as fast as they could. Unfortunately they run directly through the sleeping flock of cockatrices, waking them up, and now the two ponies were being chased by several monsters.

They both breathed frantically, both from running as well as sheer terror. Rainbow looked back and noticed that the monsters were catching up to them. Rainbow grabbed Applejack around her waist and flew them both into the air.

Applejack held on tightly and looked at Rainbow, "What are you doing?! They can fly too y'know!'

Rainbow Dash smiled a bit, "Maybe, but they can't fly like me!" She stated as she flew off, leaving the monsters behind. Rainbow continued flying into she reached a clearing, and landed them both in the ground.

Applejack looked back, "Do you think we lost them?"

Rainbow nodded, "Oh yeah, they're long gone... You can let go of me now."

"O-oh yeah sorry," she said and released Rainbow Dash.

They both sat quietly for a while, resting after what had just happened. Rainbow Dash looked at Applejack after a few moments of silence, "What now?"

Applejack stood up, "Pfft, I'm up for anything! You wanna look for an ursa major? A hydra? I can do this all night long!"

"So can I!"

The two yelled back for several minutes, trying to think of the most dangerous possible thing to do to make themselves seem like the most fearless pony who had ever lived. But as you would expect based on the pattern so far, they were interrupted. However this time, it was not an animal sound, or anything similar to that, it was a voice.

"Who is this, yelling in my domain? I urge you to stop if you wish to remain!"

The two looked towards the voice, but this time, they saw something neither of them expect. It was a pony like creature, however it was certainly no pony. It had glowing, large purple eyes, visibly sharp fangs, plants hanging off it's body like tentacles, and a thick fog surrounding it.

Applejack and Rainbow stared, in absolutely horror, never having seen a monster like this. Usually they would be more than willing to face a creature like this head on, but after the night they had just had, they were not eager to face anything.

"I'm going home!" Applejack yelled.

"I'm coming with you!"

The purple eyed creature watched the two run off, practically screaming in terror, then the zebra removed her mask. "Extravagant as it may be, I did not think my costume was that scary."



The End (yeah I know it's not a perfect rhyme!)

Comments ( 2 )

"Extravagant as it may be, I did not think my costume was that frightening."

replace frightening with scary and it is at least somewhat close to a homophone kind of rhyme.

Login or register to comment