• Published 6th Mar 2022
  • 864 Views, 35 Comments

Shaking Off Bad Memories - EileenSaysHi



A year after the Memory Stone, Wallflower and Sunset are estranged and uncomfortable around each other. But as graduation looms, they decide to try to find a new path forward, however difficult it may be.

  • ...
3
 35
 864

Epilogue: We Push Through the Weather

"So, do you think she's coming, or..."

"Give her time, dear. She'll be here. She is Scootaloo's guest of honor, after all."

Sunset and Rarity were standing by Sunset's parked car in front of Scootaloo's home. Rainbow Dash had assured them she didn't need a ride and would be there in a flash. But now the yearbook party had already started, and there was still no sign of her.

Finally, Sunset caught a glimpse of a figure on the horizon. She was running, but not at geode-powered speed. She was wincing a bit as she finally reached them.

"Rainbow, are you okay?" Sunset asked.

"Yeah, I, uh... I kinda wasn't looking where I was going and banged my foot at super-speed. Stupid wishing well..."

"Goodness," Rarity said. "Should we get some ice on it?"

"I think I'll be fine. With how long I've been in sports, I know what it feels like when it's something serious."

"Still, though," Sunset mused. "At that speed, shouldn't that have disintegrated all your bones or something?"

"I try not to think about the physics of that stuff. Or about physics."

"Is that what you wrote on your final?"

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. "Very funny, Sunset. Can we go inside now or what?"

With that, they all went up to the house. Scootaloo's parents were out of town on business—according to her, they were practically always out of town—so it'd been the perfect spot for the yearbook committee afterparty. It wasn't particularly wild or rambunctious, given yearbook members tended not to be party animals, but people were spread out all over the downstairs floor, most having brought a friend each. A table full of snacks had been set up in the living room, and the three were just about to get some when they heard a shout from across the room.

"Rainbow Dash!"

In an instant, Scootaloo, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were upon them, the former tackle-hugging Rainbow as Canterlot High's star athlete could only feebly resist. "Hey, Scoot, mind getting off my foot?"

"Oops, sorry." Scootalooo and Rainbow Dash both stepped back, Dash stumbling slightly. "You okay, Dash? You look a little unsteady."

"Nah, I'm fine, just bonked my foot a bit—"

"What? Come on, I'll go get you some ice!" And Scootaloo grabbed Rainbow Dash by the arm and dragged her into the next room as she feebly protested, Apple Bloom following behind.

"Rarity?" Sweetie Belle asked. "I didn't know you were coming!"

"Sunset asked if I'd be her plus-one, after it became clear a certain sibling of mine wasn't going to..."

"I didn't think you were interested! And, wait, Sunset invited you over Twilight?"

Rarity opened her mouth to respond, but all that came out was a series of scoffing noises and indecipherable gibberish.

"I'd have been happy to invite them both," Sunset said, stepping in, "but Twilight's still working at the Smart Station at the mall right now. Besides, Rarity did used to be vice president of this club, in case you forgot."

"Yeah, last year! And you can't have two plus-ones!" Sweetie replied, flustered.

"We can't?" a quiet voice from behind asked. "Uh..."

Sunset turned around to see Wallflower, who was there with Roseluck and Muffins, the latter waving hello to everyone.

"Don't listen to Sweetie Belle," Sunset told her. "That was a recommendation," she said as she turned her head and cast a slight glare towards the younger girl, who backed away sheepishly. "We just didn't want too big of a crowd getting things out of control."

"Oh, that's alright," Roseluck replied. "I don't think you'll have too much to worry about with us."

"We only just got here a few minutes ago ourselves, so we haven't really gotten a chance to check out what's going on," Sunset told the three girls standing in front of her, as Sweetie Belle left in a huff. "Feel free to explore the place, I think Scoot will start some events in a little while."

"Sure!" Roseluck replied. She and Muffins started to walk off, but Wallflower stayed where she was. "Are you coming?" Roseluck asked.

"One sec, I'll join you," Wallflower replied, motioning for them to leave; after a momentary pause, they did.

Sunset frowned slightly and cocked her head. "Is something wrong?" she asked.

"Not exactly," Wallflower responded. "I just... there was a moment where I was worried we were back to talking the way we'd been for the past year. Like yesterday had all been some kind of weird fever dream."

"Oh," Sunset replied. "Sorry, I... I haven't hung out with Roseluck and Muffins all that much before, so I guess I kinda went into my standard politeness mode. You know, like how people get when they're talking to someone they should know better, but don't?"

"No, yeah, I get that. I'm sorry. I'm just, well, everything happened so fast. I'm still trying to process it a bit."

"I get that. It's a little weird for me, too."

"Is Rarity staring at us?"

They both looked over at the fashionista, whose face instantly turned crimson. "Oh, uh, don't mind me, darlings! I just, uh... oh who am I kidding, yes I was staring." She walked over to the two of them. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, it's just, well, Sunset had told me some about what's been going on recently and—"

"You wanted to see if we really had changed?" Wallflower asked.

"Uhhhh..."

"It's okay, Rarity," Sunset said, patting her on the shoulder before the awkwardness could consume her.

"Yeah, no," Wallflower added. "I'll admit it does feel nice to be looked at sometimes."

Rarity nodded. "That is a lovely outfit you're wearing, I must say."

"Oh, this? I got it for Starswirled last fall. I only wore it a little bit then but it's nice to break it out. Raspberry and I are going again this year, since we'll still be in the area... what about you?"

"Us?" Sunset replied. "We, well... the Rainbooms actually got an offer to perform this year, which was awesome, but we had to turn it down. Some of us are just gonna be too far away for it to work out," she said, motioning to Rarity.

"Zephyr Heights is a bit much of a distance for me to travel for just a weekend, I'm afraid," Rarity noted. "But..."

Sunset smirked. "What Rarity means is that they then asked if some of us could perform there individually, and I took them up on it."

Wallflower gawked. "That's amazing! I know Vinyl and Micro Chips got to play there last year, but you... they might even put you on the main stage!"

Sunset laughed a bit. "Maybe. But I'm trying to work on some new material beforehand. I was hoping to do mostly acoustic stuff. I actually got a bit of inspiration after yesterday."

"Oh?"

"When it started raining at the end, after everything. It felt poetic. I'm trying to find a way to put that into words. But I already have a basic tune in mind."

"I'm glad I could be so inspirational," Wallflower said, a wry smile gracing her lips.

They both heard an awwww slip out of Rarity and turned toward her.

"Apologies, I couldn't help it. I'm just... so happy for the both of you." And then she sprang forward and wrapped both of them in a hug.

"Uhhhmmmm..." Wallflower moaned as she squirmed uncomfortably.

"What is happening?" Sunset asked.

Rarity pulled back, blushing furiously. "Sorry. I, uh, must need to get my feelings under control a bit. I, well, I think I'm going to go find Rainbow Dash." And she darted off as Sunset and Wallflower both started to laugh.

"I should probably go find Roseluck and Muffins," Wallflower said after they calmed a bit. "But, uh... if I don't really see you again here today, I'll text you. I will text you."

Sunset nodded, smiling. "And I'll text back. I promise."

Wallflower blushed, then darted off into the next room. Sunset just stood there for another minute, thinking, as an idea for a lyric popped into her head. She couldn't help but sing it aloud.

"Know it gets better, know it gets better, we push through the weather, weather..."

And she strode off to find Rarity and Rainbow Dash, feeling as assured in herself as she'd ever been.

Comments ( 6 )

A lovely follow-up to the prequel. The parallels between Sunset and Wallflower work to a painful degree, and their reconciliation feels wonderfully earned. You excel at beautiful, genuine emotional moments. Thank you for another excellent example of that.

Also, high-quality Best Human, which I always appreciate. :derpytongue2:

11261117
Thanks for the compliments! I'm outlining some stories that are definitely on the emotional side so it's always good to have the encouragement :twilightsmile:

I read the first and this one back to back, and I say, "well done you!"

The vignette style, showing small moments strung together over time, fits the 'slice of life' feel and the redemption story you're telling. I love these both!!!

Thank you for sharing!!!

"I try not to think about the physics of that stuff. Or about physics."

"Is that what you wrote on your final?"

She wrote "Considering how much has happened over the last years, considering how I can run at the speed of sound, science should stop torturing me with their equations, as the question of what the equation of speed is can be easily answered with: Magic."

Sunset nodded, smiling. "And I'll text back. I promise."

And now it became a more believable forgiveness and Sunset becoming friends with Wallflower. Power of fanfictions :ajsmug:

'Let it ra-a-a-ain' and now I've got it stuck in my head again.:derpytongue2:

Awesome work on both of these!

"Still, though," Sunset mused. "At that speed, shouldn't that have disintegrated all your bones or something?"

"I try not to think about the physics of that stuff. Or about physics."

so true. why is Sunset going on about that egghead stuff, Rainbow is clearly fine!

Rarity opened her mouth to respond, but all that came out was a series of scoffing noises and indecipherable gibberish.

aww why is she making Rarity noises?

"Us?" Sunset replied. "We, well... the Rainbooms actually got an offer to perform this year, which was awesome, but we had to turn it down. Some of us are just gonna be too far away for it to work out," she said, motioning to Rarity.

oof, a lot of changes coming!

"Zephyr Heights is a bit much of a distance for me to travel for just a weekend, I'm afraid," Rarity noted. "But..."

oh this was written after G5 came out? where is my sense of time

And she strode off to find Rarity and Rainbow Dash, feeling as assured in herself as she'd ever been.

aww, glad she is in a better place now! there's definitely a lot of guilt to get over based on the implied sheer amount of memories Wallflower destroyed in all those around her, and it takes a lot more to do that than a clasped hand and an uplifting montage.

Login or register to comment