• Published 19th Sep 2021
  • 2,820 Views, 121 Comments

Space-Time Out - FanOfMostEverything



Flurry Heart learns the traditional method of dealing with misbehaving princesses, and other valuable lessons

  • ...
7
 121
 2,820

Royal Prerogi-Thingy

Flurry Heart was not pleased.

This wasn’t that uncommon, as a lot could displease Flurry: Being told to take a bath. Being told to come out of the bath. Being told to finish her alfalfa. Being told “We’ll tell you when you’re older.” Having to wear an inhibitor ring to school even though she was a big filly—seven and a half years old!—and could definitely be trusted not to zap her classmates.

“Come on, please?

“Nuh uh,” said Rhodolite, hugging a napkin to his dumb, red chest, probably getting crumbs in the fur and hairs on the prize. “It’s my cookie. You already had yours.”

And, of course, not being able to zap those classmates when they really deserved it, especially when they were outside the classroom and she wasn't really in school anymore. “But it’s my favorite kind!" Flurry very reasonably shouted. "You don’t even like oatmeal crystal berry cookies.”

“It’s still mine, though." Rhodolite pressed it even tighter to him. A harder cookie probably would've crumbled there and then. "Besides, you already had Cubic Lattice’s and Polished Facet’s. You’re just greedy.

“I’m not greedy, I’m hungry! It's been a long time since lunch." Flurry tried the wide-eyed, lip-quivering look that always worked on her nanny when Mom and Dad were busy. "Pretty please?”

Rhodolite just scowled and stuck out his tongue. At her! “I said no.”

Flurry looked around. Mrs. Calcite was nowhere to be seen, which meant she couldn’t ask her for help. But it also meant…

She stomped each front hoof, left and right, and glared down at Rhodolite just like Grauntie Luna would. She flared out her wings, took a deep breath, and boomed out, “I’m the princess! I’m more important than you! Now give it!”

“Flurry Heart!”

Flurry's wings flopped to the ground. That voice and that tone never meant anything good. She looked back to see a much bigger alicorn glaring at her the way she had at Rhodolite. “Mom?”

Mrs. Calcite scurried after Mom, sweat running down her neck and doing funny things to the light going through her. “Y-your Highness, I am so sorry, I’ve never seen this kind of behavior from Flurry before—“

Mom didn't look any happier. “In that case, we can nip it in the bud here and now. Flurry?”

Flurry bit her lip, ears folding back. “Um… Sorry?”

“Go back to the castle, dear. Mr. Sentry will escort you.”

“Okay…” Flurry sighed and dragged her hooves to the guard standing a few feet away, staring at nothing like they usually did.

“Flurry’s in trouble!” Rhodolite led the chant, but he wasn't the only one.

She whirled back, crying “Hey!”

“Be nice, class,” Mrs. Calcite said, getting mumbles in response.

“Go on, Flurry." Mom turned her attention to the teacher. "Mrs. Calcite, I would like to discuss this with you later today if you’re available.”

That got shocked gasps. “Mrs. Calcite’s in trouble…” whispered Cubic Lattice.

“Be nice, class.”

“Yes, Miss Princess.”

Mom winced like she'd stubbed her hoof. Flurry tried not to look too smug at that. Especially when Mr. Sentry cleared his throat. It was his job to protect princesses, and sometimes that meant protecting them from other princesses.


Cadence wasn't happy.

There wasn't much she could honestly say she hated, but the uncomfortable atmosphere around a crystal pony trying not to get punished was definitely on the list. For all the bright colors in the classroom, Lavender Calcite's choking anxiety made the place feel like a monochrome nightmare. “I apologize for undermining your authority in front of your class earlier, Mrs. Calcite."

"I mean, that is, you don't have to, well..." The teacher trailed off, starting to tremble.

"Please, be honest with me. Was this really the first time Flurry’s tried to get her way like that?”

Mrs. Calcite mumbled the starts of several sentences, her eyes darting around and never meeting Cadence's. The closest they came were a few inches above her head.

Cadence sighed and took off her crown, making a point of using her hooves. “I’m not Sombra, Mrs. Calcite." Celestia probably would've called the mare by her first name, try to make them feel like equals. Based on past experience with crystal ponies, that would only make the panic worse. "Right now, I’m just a concerned mother who wants the best for her daughter. And I need your help to make sure of that.”

“I, I..." After a few deep breaths that bordered on hyperventilation, Mrs. Calcite shook her head. "I’m sorry, Your High… Cadence." She grimaced like saying the name was a criminal offense. "But you’re the princess. Who wants to tell you bad news?”

Cadence held back her sigh. “I’d much rather somepony tell me than find out for myself. I've had my suspicions for some time, but I need to know how bad it is.”

After a few more, thankfully slower breaths, Mrs. Calcite said, “Flurry definitely has a temper. She doesn’t take hearing ‘no’ well.”

That got a nod. “Or being told to do what she doesn’t want to?”

“She does listen to me. Generally.”

“Generally?” Cadence echoed.

“If her classmates don’t listen to her, she gets very frustrated. Sometimes enough that I have to ask her to step outside for a moment. But this really is the first time I’ve seen her, ah…” Mrs. Calcite cleared her throat.

“Exert royal authority?”

After a few moments, the teacher risked a nod. “In so many words, yes.”

“I see. She’s rambunctious at home, certainly, but…" Cadence sighed. "I’m going to have to talk with her caretakers. Shining and I try to be there for her whenever we can, but ruling the Empire—” She cut herself off as she saw the trembling resume, enough that there was a sound almost like wind chimes as the crystal mare's teeth chattered. “Thank you, Mrs. Calcite. This has been very helpful, and I’ll do my utmost to make sure this won’t happen again.”

Mrs. Calcite nodded. It was a very large nod. Some might have even called it a bow. “Of course, Your Highness.”


Shining Armor was downright peeved.

"I blame myself," he grumbled, pacing at the foot of the royal bed.

Cadence held out a wing to hold him. "Shiny—"

"We both know you're the statesmare," he said, trotting right past her. "I've been playing war games while our daughter's turned into a spoiled little tyrant. I should've been focusing on her rather than battle plans for Twilight's alliances going sour. Like that'll ever..." He trailed off and looked down, realizing he'd been trotting in place a few inches above the floor for the last sentence or two.

"You've also been focusing on diplomatic work, athletic programs, the Arctic Rangers..." Cadence let him drop just in time to nuzzle him. "Shining, you're as much a ruler of the Empire as I am and I wouldn't have it any other way."

It was like rubbing against a rock for all he responded. "And where has that left our daughter? Coddled by nannies afraid to tell her 'no' ever since Sunburst moved to Ponyville."

"He got married, Shining. Who am I to tell a stallion not to follow his heart?"

"And now Flurry's going to be the second coming of Sombra. Or Nightmare Moon. Or some combination of them." Shining shook his head. "Ugh, I knew it had been too quiet for the last few years."

"Dear."

"Yeah?"

"You're Twilighting." Cadence glanced at the floor. There probably wasn't a groove in there. Not yet, anyway.

After a few moments, Shining sighed and bowed his head. "Okay, maybe a little." He snapped back up, that same mad fear of failing those close to him burning in his eyes as Cadence had seen in his sister's so many times before. "But this is our daughter we're talking about! I think I'm entitled to worry about her."

Calmly, reasonably, Cadence guided Shining out of the madness place, as much by a gentle wing on his back as with her words. "Yes, but she's still a foal. We have plenty of time to fix this. And the first thing we need to do is delegate more so we can actually spend the time with her she needs. And when we can't, we find somepony who can."

"Which won't be easy. Even a young alicorn inspires respect." Still, when Shining next looked at Cadence, he looked more sane. Not all the way there, but she didn't feel all the way there herself. "What did your parents do?"

That got a flat look. "Shiny, I didn't get my horn until I was fourteen, remember?"

"Right." He let out a breath as something that was half-sigh, half-nicker. "Sorry, my head's all over the place right now."

"I understand. But the pegasus from a Spurcilian kelping village doesn't know the secret to raising an alicorn anymore than you do."

Shining finally gave her an affectionate nuzzle of his own. "I do miss your accent."

"That makes one of us. It always made me feel so out of place in Canterlot, especially compared to..." Cadence trailed off as old memories dusted themselves off.

"Compared to who?"

"Shiny, I think I know what we need to do. But first I need to find a book." Cadence wrenched the doors of the royal chambers open with her magic before galloping out.

Shining chuckled as he followed her. "Now who's sounding like Twilight?"


Flurry watched snowflakes zip by the train, trying to figure out this latest puzzle of parents doing weird parent things. Finally, she looked back at Mom and Dad. “I don’t get it.”

“What do you mean, dear?” said Mom.

“Aren’t you mad at me?”

Mom shook her head. “Disappointed, maybe, but not mad.”

“Oh.” Flurry winced. Mad was scary, but over quick. Disappointed hurt, and did for a while. “But why are we taking a train ride if you’re disappointed in me?”

"We think we've decided on your punishment, but before we settle on it, we want to get your side of things."

"Even given the Crystal Express, we should have time to get everything figured out. And if we're wrong?" Dad shrugged. "We have options."

Flurry had no idea what to think of any of this. "... Okay?" she eventually said, looking from one to the other.

"Right now, Flurry," Mom said, "we just want to know why you thought it was okay to shout at that colt like that."

"Oh." Flurry's ear folded back. This was going to tricky.

"And please be honest, dear."

Really tricky. "Well... aren't I?"

"Aren't you what?" said Dad.

"More important than Rhodolite."

"Flurry," said Mom, short and sharp and scowling.

"Aren't I? I mean, I'm a princess and an alicorn. I'm gonna help rule the Empire one day, or maybe help Aunt Twilight rule all of Equestria, or help Uncle Spike make friends with the rest of the world." Flurry stood up on her bench and flared out her wings, already almost as big as Aunt Rainbow's. "I have so much magic I almost destroyed the Empire by accident the day I was born!"

Dad sighed and pressed a hoof against his forehead. "I knew we shouldn't have gotten Trixie to perform at her fourth birthday party."

"Miss Great and Powerful Trixie's great. Rhodolite's just some dumb colt who picks his nose when he thinks nopony's looking. And he doesn't even like oatmeal cookies. He should've given it to me when I asked. I said please and everything!" Flurry stomped. It should have been dramatic, but it just made the cushioning go whumph.

"And you think being a princess means you should get your way all the time?" said Mom.

Flurry sat back down. If the bench wasn't going to cooperate, then it wasn't worth getting that mad. "Well, not from you or Dad. 'Cause you're important too. It's why you can't always tuck me in or pick me up from school."

Dad winced like he'd stepped on one of his not-a-toy soldiers. "Which we're going to work on."

"And we'll talk about that later," Mom said to him. "But we can't always be there because being a princess isn't about what other ponies can do for you."

Flurry looked around the royal train car, with its glittering decorations, mini-library, fully stocked snack bar, and high-rimmed hot tub. "It isn't?"

Dad grinned. "The only reason we get treated this nicely is because nopony would want to do the job if there weren't some upside to all the work."

"But that work is what's important. Not having a crown, or both a horn and wings, or a lot of magical power."

"But..." Flurry trailed off as she took in Mom's serious face, then looked away. "Okay. I guess."

She heard Mom do the Stay Calm Breath. "It's okay, Flurry. You can say what's on your mind. It won't get you into any more trouble."

"Well... It's still gonna be a million years until I can do any real princess work. Why do I have all that other stuff if none of it matters?"

Mom and Dad traded a look. "We're still figuring that out ourselves, Flurry," Dad said. "Nopony in living memory had ever seen a naturally born alicorn before you." He leaned over and ruffled her mane. She giggled despite trying to squirm away from him. "You're special, and I'm sure that one day, we'll find out why."

Mom settled in next to Flurry, wrapping her in a wing. "Until then, we're doing our best to let you grow up as a normal little filly, because, well, we haven't had a lot of time to just be a family. We'll do our best to fix that, but until then—"

A low hum interrupted her, making Flurry look around the train car. She spotted something where Mom had been sitting, glowing and shaking. "What's that?"

Dad picked it up in his magic and grinned. "It's called a book. I think you saw one or two when visiting Aunt Twilight."

"I know what books are, Dad. Why's that one buzzing?" Flurry glowered as Dad opened his mouth again. "And don't say 'magic.' I can tell that much."

Before Dad could say his next silly answer, Mom took it from his magic grip and brought it closer. The cover had no words, just a symbol with the Crystal Heart surrounded by wavy lines. "This book's paired with another one a long, long way away. Anything written in one shows up in the other. And I've been writing to a pony who's going to help us. It turns out your Aunt Twilight had thought about this, and she's already prepared something for your punishment."

Despite Mom's wing, a chill ran down Flurry's spine. "She has?"

“You know how your Aunt Twilight can be with planning ahead,” said Dad. “Remember the last Two Sisters Festival?”

Chill or no, Flurry giggled at the memory. “She tripped over her own checklist.”

“She is still growing into those new legs of hers,” said Mom.

“So this pony works for Aunt Twilight?” That just narrowed it down to almost everypony who lived south of the Empire.

“Kind of,” said Dad.

Flurry blinked. “Kind of?”

“It’ll be a surprise.”

A surprise with Aunt Twilight. Flurry tilted her head. “I thought I was in trouble.”

“Oh, you are," said Mom. "And this how we’ll punish you.”

The chill came back, and brought friends. Flurry didn't like any of them.

“That feeling right now?” Mom leaned in close and booped Flurry's muzzle. “That’s part of your punishment.”

Sometimes foals in class would talk about who the best alicorn was. (Flurry could admit she wasn’t the best. Yet.) Some said Aunt Twilight. Some said Grauntie Celestia or Grauntie Luna. The ones who said Mom never did so for the right reasons; they didn’t know her well enough.

Soon enough, the train screeched to a halt, brakes hissing. Flurry looked out the window and frowned at the unexpected view. “If we’re going to see Aunt Twilight, how come we're getting off in Ponyville?”

“You’ll see.”

Grauntie Luna could be dark and cool and tough. But even when smiling, Mom could be scary.

Author's Note:

This ballooned into a multi-chapter event on me. It'll be fun to see where it leads. :pinkiehappy:

Cadence being born a pegasus comes from Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell, one of G. M. Berrow's pony novels. Her coming from Spurcily, the largest island in the Marediterranean Sea, is my own elaboration on the theme. (By implication, it also means you should never bet against Cadence when death is on the line. Which the data appears to support.)