• Published 21st Aug 2021
  • 1,091 Views, 12 Comments

Happy Anniversary, Rainbow Dash - Axolotl222



Twilight is really good with planning and organizing. So it's not like she'd forget something important on her one year anniversary with Rainbow Dash. Right?

  • ...
2
 12
 1,091

Chapter 5

Rainbow Dash was running, Twilight following close beside her. In spite of the fact that each step sent a jolt of pain though her damaged wing she managed to keep pace. She had listened to what Twilight had shouted before they took off: don’t run at your full speed, you will tire quickly. Instead try to pace yourself.

The best roared again, causing the earth to tremble beneath her hooves. Against her better judgement, Rainbow turned and for the first time took a look at their pursuer.

The… thing was massive, about the size of a house, and yet somehow able to navigate the forest at remarkable speed. Its flesh was leathery, covered in hideous scars and boils. Yet what caught Rainbow’s attention the most was its face, if it could be called that, with its mouth…

Sweet Celestia. How could that thing have that many teeth?

She ran even faster.

As the chase continued, an odd sense of familiarity came over Rainbow. By this point in her life, she had become quite accustomed to the occasional life-or-death situation. Even back when she had left flight school and decided to start seriously training for the Wonderbolts, there had been many situations where some stunt had gone wrong and she had ended up a hair’s breadth away from maiming herself.

Of course, she had taken those near accidents as a source of pride and had her middle name legally changed from “Miriam” to “Danger.” All was well for sometime, until she became one of the Elements of Harmony. And while that title did come with many perks, it also had a few notable drawbacks. Such as the fact that she was often frontline in the fight against whatever was threatening ponykind that week. Of course, she would never hesitate to help any friend in trouble, so eventually that became routine as well.

Then things once again escalated, and she found herself in the most nerve-racking event of her entire life: dating one of her closest friends. Even though it was a year ago Rainbow could still remember that night in the Golden Oaks Library like it was yesterday.

“Okay Dash, you could do this,” she said to her reflection in the mirror. She wasn’t nervous. How could she be? She had practiced what she wanted to say with Tank all morning. Sure, he wasn’t purple or able to speak, but he always was a good listener.

It couldn’t be too hard, right? All she had to do was leave the bathroom, march on over to Twilight and ask her out on a date. What’s the worst thing that could happen?

Well, it might turn out that Twilight doesn't like her that way. After all, Rainbow still wasn’t completely sure she liked mares. But Twilight wasn’t the kind of pony to just cut off one of her friends like that. Right? Granted, it would still make things very awkward between them, and Twilight probably wouldn’t be as keen to go flying or read books together...

No!, she thought to herself. She was Rainbow Dash, one of the Elements of Harmony, holder of many speed records, multi-time savoir of Equestria, and all around coolest pony. She would not cower in Twilight’s bathroom all day!

She saw her own expression harden in the mirror. “Let's do this!,” she said to herself. Rainbow then slammed the bathroom door open.

A loud bang echoed through the hall, freezing Rainbow in her tracts. Owlowiscious, who had been sleeping on a nearby perch, turned and gave her an incredulous look.

“Eh-heh, sorry,” Rainbow said with an apologetic smile. Twilight’s pet continued to glare at her for a moment before going back to sleep. Rainbow puffed her chest out before making her way over to Twilight.

Twilight was exactly where she was before Rainbow went to the bathroom: sitting on her coach, completely engrossed in her book. She didn’t seem to of had heard the noise from earlier. Twilight’s ears twitched but she kept reading as Rainbow sat next to her. Rainbow cleared her throat.

“H-hey, um, Twilight,” Rainbow said, cringing at her stutter.

“Hm?” Twilight looked up, first at Rainbow, then at a window just behind her.

“Oh goodness, I didn’t realize it’s getting dark.” She closed her book then turned to face Rainbow. “Are you about to head home?”

“Well, not exactly. There’s, uh, something I wanna ask you first” Rainbow said, suddenly uncomfortably warm. “It’s kinda important.”

“Well, you know you could ask me anything, right?” Twilight smiled, looking at her with those big, innocent purple eyes.

“Well…” The back of Rainbow’s neck was suddenly very itchy. Which was definitely the reason why she was rubbing it. “Ya know how there’s that whole fireworks thing tomorrow night?”

“Um-hum.” Luna’s moon, that look she was giving her could give Fluttershy’s stare a run for its money.

“I was just thinkin’... since, ya know, the two of us have been getting along really well, a-and you’re really smart and kind and funny and cute, um, I was wanting to ask if you would, uh, wouldliketogooutonadatewithmetomorrow?”

Twilight’s smiled vanished. For a horrible moment she sat gasping like a fish before speaking.

“Sorry, I’m gay!”

Rainbow blinked. “Uh, yeah, I don’t see how that would be a problem here…”

“I mean, no! No, I am gay, maybe? Oh Celestia this is confusing...

Rainbow cut her off. “Look, I get it. You don’t like me that way. It's cool,” she said, hoping Twilight wouldn’t hear the disappointment in her voice. Rainbow fidgeted with her hooves, finding herself unable to make eye contact. “Just, uh, just forget I ever said anything.”

She began to rise from the couch.

“N-no! Wait, Rainbow!”

Twilight gestured for her to sit back down, which Rainbow did. Before she could speak Twilight held up a hoof to shush her and began to do one of her deep breathing exercises. After another minute she regained her composure.

“I am gay. I think. Or at least bi. I still have a bit more reading to do on the subject…”

“Twi?”

“Right! Uh, sorry.” Twilight cleared her throat.

“I… don’t really have the most experience with dating, to be honest. I didn’t even realize that I could like mares until very recently.”

“Recently?,” Rainbow asked, a seed of hope sprouting within her.

“A few weeks ago, after one of our flying lessons. I was just thinking about how well we, you know,” she paused as if searching for the right word. “Clicked together. I couldn’t stop thinking about you, and then I realized why. I… I really like you Rainbow. A lot, and not just as a friend.”

“Wait, weeks ago? Then what was with the whole ‘sorry I’m gay’ thing earlier?”

Twilight frowned with confusion. “Oh,” she said before giving a sheepish chuckle. “Yeah sorry about that. Force of habit, I suppose. When stallions hear that you’re connected to the Princesses they all start hitting on you.”

Rainbow frowned. “Ya mean like what Zephyr does?”

“Yes. Except there are dozens of him at once.”

Rainbow shuddered at the mental image.

“But still, all this time and you didn’t say anything?”

“Well… like I said, I was kind of taken aback by the whole ‘liking another mare’ thing. I knew if I told anypony else the conversation would inevitably involve my lack of experience, which I was too embarrassed to bring up. And I didn’t really know how to approach you, either. I thought maybe I should do some research first…”

“Why am I not surprised?”

“Oh, hush you!,” Twilight said with a chuckle before playfully punching her in the shoulder. Rainbow rubbed her shoulder in mock offense.

“So, does this mean you’re saying yes for tomorrow then?”

“Only if you want to.”

“YES!,” Rainbow shouted, taking off to do a victory lap around the room.

“WAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-” She stopped abruptly, landing with an embarrassed grin. Twilight placed a hoof over her muzzle to stifle her giggles.

“Uh… perfect! I’ll pick you up around six then?”

“Looking forward to it.”

“RAINBOW, DUCK!”

“Huh?”

A tree branch whacked Rainbow Dash across the nose, causing her to lose her balance and fall.

Pain shot through her damaged wing, causing her vision to flash white. She grit her teeth, forcing herself into a sitting position. Something warm and wet landed in her mane. A disgusted Rainbow Dash wiped the slime away with her hoof. She glanced up. Above her was a large, drooling maw, full of sharp teeth, reeking of rot and decay.

Rainbow Dash had always hoped to die doing something awesome. While not her first choice, Rainbow supposed being eaten alive by a monster would count.

Before it could take a bite, the beast was enveloped in a purple glow. It began to float off the ground, until it was above the treetops. Rainbow got back unto her hooves and ran.

For a moment the creature hovered in the sky like an ugly parody of Luna’s moon. Then it slammed into the ground. Before the dust could settle it was flying again. The abomination sound found itself being repeatedly tossed up and slammed into the earth like a ragdoll. Each impact was punctuated by an angry shout from a nearby alicorn.

“Don’t!” Thud! “You! Thud! “Dare!” Thud! “Mess with!” Thud! “MY MARE FRIEND!”

With that, Twilight spun the source of her anger around before releasing her magical hold, sending it sailing off into the distance where it landed with a small explosion.

“Woah,” Rainbow Dash said, having appeared next to Twilight at some point. “That. Was. Awesome!"

Whatever response Twilight had was drowned out by a ferocious roar off in the distance.

She wrapped her wing around Rainbow.

“Come on!,” she said, pulling Rainbow along with her.

She ran as fast as she could while keeping Rainbow beside her. Eventually the two stumbled into a small clearing. Twilight stopped, panting furiously from the exhaustion.

“Dashie! Twilight!” After a blur of pink the two found themselves in a tight hug, with Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy stopping appearing soon after.

“Twilight, you have to tell me about the aliens,” Pinkie said. She then gasped. “Oh no! Did they probe you!?”
Another roar was heard, silencing the mares. Their pursuer had returned, shoving trees out of its way as it closed in on its prey. As it approached its many eyes narrowed at the mares. The hideous set of jaws opened once again, a slimy tongue licking the greasy lips.

No, Rainbow Dash though. The beast let out an angry growl. Anger began to flow through her veins. No, she would not let this… this thing get anywhere Twilight.

Rainbow stepped forward.

“R-rainbow, what are you..”

She silenced Fluttershy by raising her good wing. She turned to face the rest of her friends, a fire burning in her eyes.

Applejack nodded and adjusted her stetson, spitting once before assuming a crouching stance. Rarity flicked her hair back, the motion elegant and well practiced. Her horn crackled with azure sparks as she prepared a spell. Pinkie mimicked rolling up her sleeves and cracked her neck.

Rainbow Dash faced the thing that dared to try and harm her marefriend.

She snorted and flared her nostrils, pawing at the ground beneath her.

A pair of muscular legs tensed as they prepared to pounce.

Rainbow screamed as she charged forward.

“ENOUGH!”

Everpony stopped. It took Rainbow a moment to realize that they were not frozen by a spell.

YOU!” Twilight had flown in front of the creature's face, which had stopped mid lunge. She pointed a hoof at it.

“Do you have any idea what tonight is? DO YOU!?”

She paused as if waiting for a reply.

“Tonight is the one year anniversary of the greatest thing that ever happened to me.” Twilight gestured towards Rainbow Dash.

“You see that pegasus over there? That brave, wonderful, sexy mare asked me out on a date! And tonight I was going to give her the best night of her life! I was going to ask her to marry me! And you will NOT be getting in my way.”

“I have traveled to the ends of Equestria. I have done things with magic that ponies have said were impossible. I have either befriended or beaten some of the most powerful beings in existence. And You? Ha! Please! You are like an insect to me!

“Y-you want to ruin our evening, huh!? You want to end our fun that badly!? Well guess what? You can’t. Because I’m not going to let you. I am taking that mare out on a date. We are going to eat her favorite meal and watch the fireworks together. And then we were going to fuck. That’s right! We were going to have SEX! Hot, steamy, mare-on-mare action all night long! And YOU ARE NOT GOING TO STOP US! Nothing will. Because it wouldn’t let it happen. So you better turn around right now and head back to whatever pit you crawled out of and let us get back to our date RIGHT THIS INSTANT!”

The monster suddenly decided that these tiny horse things would probably not make a good meal. Twilight watched as it turned and shuffled away until it was no longer visible through the trees. She then landed back down, still panting from her shouting fit.

After a moment she remembered that her friends were still behind her. Twilight slowly turned around to find that none of them were able to make eye contact. Her face suddenly burned as if she had stepped in front of a fire.

The awkwardness roared in the air, drowning out any other noise.

“Hey Twilight?,” Pinkie said with a contemplative look on her face.

“Y-yes?”

“Couldn’t you just of plucked one of your feathers out at any time from your wings?”

Twilight stared ahead blankly. Wordlessly she slipped past everypony else, making her way to a tree with a large hole in its middle.

Twilight stuck her head inside. It did little to muffle her scream. After a moment she fell silent again.

“Twi?,” Rainbow asked.

“Yeah?,” Twilight replied, her head still inside the tree.

“Ya good?”

“...Yes.”

“Ya wanna go home now?”

“Yeah.”

“M’kay. Let’s head back, girls.”


Spike was jolted from his seat by a knock. He eagerly ran open to the door and threw it open.

“Twilight! Rainbow! You’re okay!”

Twilight quickly swept him up in a hug while Rainbow ruffled his scales.

“Don’t worry little guy. Ya should know nothing's going to stop Twi when she’s in the mood.”

Rainbow!,” Twilight hissed. Rainbow Dash burst out laughing.

“Um, what happened, exactly?,” Spike asked.

Rainbow wiped a tear from her eye. “I’ll tell ya later,” she said with a sigh.

“But first we need to take a look at that wing,” Fluttershy said, the sternness in her voice letting Rainbow know there was no debating this.

Everypony headed inside. As Fluttershy hastily bandaged her wing, Rainbow told the others a slightly exaggerated tale about how she and Twilight had survived flying into a lightning storm and escaped the clutches of an Everfree monster together. The others alternated between being in awe and being horrified. Eventually the excitement died down and the conversation drifted off topic.

At some point Twilight had stopped paying attention to the conversation, feeling she didn’t have much to add. She eventually excused herself. Twilight then wandered outside and sat on the steps, gazing at the stars above.

She soon heard somepony sitting down next to her. Without checking to see who it was, she asked:

“How’s your wing?”

“Eh, it’s been through worse. I’ll survive.” Rainbow followed Twilight’s gaze. The two stared at the moon for sometime.

“Beautiful night,” Rainbow Dash said.

“It is,” Twilight said. Then she laughed.

“What’s so funny?”

“Nothing. It’s just after we… uh, you know, I was thinking we could lie back and watch the stars.”

Twilight let out a long sigh. “At least we could still do that.”

“You know Twi, I still haven’t shown you my gift yet.”

“Hum?”

Rainbow gestured to her saddle bags (which she was still wearing) with a grin that made Twilight chuckle.

“Well, I guess you already know what I was going to give you anyways.”

To her surprise, Rainbow scooted closer to Twilight. When she turned to face her Rainbow took one of Twilight’s hooves in hers.

“Twilight, I know I’m not as good with words as you, so I’ll make this quick. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life. And you know what? I know more than anything that I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”

Wait, was she…

Rainbow Dash tugged off her saddle bag and set it on the ground in front of Twilight. She popped it open.

Twilight gasped. Inside was a blue feather, somehow still completely intact.

“Twilight Sparkle?”

She meant Rainbow’s gaze, tears of joy building in her eyes.

“Will you-”

“OH MY CELESTIA. YES. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!”

Twilight and Rainbow both glared at Rarity along with Spike, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack. She was standing in the wide open doors behind them, choking the life out of a struggling Fluttershy. “Eh heh. My bad.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Twilight,” she said again. “Will you marry me?”

“Oh Rainbow Dash.” Twilight picked up the feather with her magic and then placed it in her hair. Twilight then pulled Rainbow into a hug, taking care to avoid her injured wing. “Yes. Yes, yes, yes!,” she said, punctuating each word with a kiss on the lips. She stopped to wipe a tear from her eye. “I, I, I’m so happy!”

Before either could react the rest of the girls and Spike tackled them into a hug. Rainbow laughed. She knew she didn’t need some elaborate scheme for tonight. Rainbow had Twilight, and that was all she needed for tonight to be perfect.

“Oh Rainbow, this is the greatest night of my life!” Twilight then leaned in closer, whispering in so that only she could hear:

“And we’re still having sex later.”

“Oh, Twilight, this is the greatest night of my life!”

Author's Note:

Huzzah! My first story is complete. I hope you guys got some enjoyment out of it.

Until next time,

Thanks for reading

Comments ( 5 )

Nicely done mate its a great first story.

11016513
Thank you. First of many (at least I hope so).

Thats soo adorable!!! Nicely done!!

Login or register to comment