• Published 18th Jun 2021
  • 694 Views, 8 Comments

The End of the Rainbow - JTH



When an elemental phenomenon returns after many millennia, it's discovered that only one pony can rid of it and save the land. But doing so may come at a terrible price...

  • ...
1
 8
 694

Chapter 21

On the surface, all the ponies looked upon the resurfacing sky that had been hidden from the dark clouds of Raindoom. A look of dusk was set as the day had neared its end, but all the Princesses weakened magic did not allow them to use their skills to their full extent, leaving the sky in a state of flux. Twilight and the others began to grow a state of concern for their friend Rainbow Dash, they were certain she would have returned by now. Or at least they should have spotted her somewhere above them.

"Does anypony see her?" The Princess of Friendship asked her company of fellow ponies. A regrettable following of "no" came from them all, only making the worry exscalate.

After a brief pause, Pinkie Pie spotted something in the distance. It almost looked like a shooting star, Pinkie pointed over towards it to get everypony's attention. "There she is Twilight!" She stated, spotting a winged figure off in the far distance. "And she's twirling around...show off." Pinkie chuckled as a follow up, but Twilight wasn't so sure if whatever Rainbow was doing was intentional. The Princess squinted her eyes sharply trying to get a clear view of if the figure she saw was in fact her friend.

It certainly looked like Rainbow from a far, but something certainly seemed off to Twilight Sparkle. It didn't look like Dash was flying towards them, but rather flying straight down. Also the speed the pegasus was flying... While Rainbow Dash was fast, to fly at the speed she was carrying straight to the ground was incredibly dangerous. Twilight didn't like the looks of what was going on. "Something's wrong, she's descending too fast." Twilight began calling out hoping that her voice would lead Rainbow towards them. When it didn't happen, Twilight knew Dash was in trouble. The Princess began to run quickly and soon took off to the sky. Princess Luna, Celestia, and even Fluttershy took flight behind Twilight to follow behind in any way to assist.

As Twilight got closer, she could see the peril Rainbow Dash found herself in, making the Alicorn fly faster and quickly pulling away from those behind her. But even at her pace, the free fall rate Rainbow was falling...Twilight would never catch her, time was running out.

The Princess of Friendship began to conjure any magic she had to attempt a teleportation spell to get closer, but if it didn't work any slim chance to get to Rainbow Dash in time would become even more meniscal. While flying fast as she could, Twilight harnessed her magic for just one usage. "Come on..." She cried in desperate plea. Her horn began to glow, and struggling Twilight gave a last ditch charge.

*PLOOP* *PFFT* *PLOOP*

"NOOO!!" Twilight moanfully whined. The Alicorn's magic was only restored enough to successfully teleport, but not enough to reappear elsewhere. So as soon as Twilight teleported, she popped back in the same position she was, which did nothing but halt her progress. Twilight again repursued, trying to fly quicker to her friend, who was now getting dangerous close to crashing.

Twilight could see that Dash was falling towards the vicinity of the lake below them, and it gave her one final desperation idea, but she still had to get ever so closer to try. Using any remaining magic she could muster, Twilight tried to form a barrier in front of Rainbow Dash's free-falling body, hoping that doing so could keep the pegasus from crashing directly into the water and the barrier would take the impact for her. But it would take ever bit of magic Twilight could generate to even give Rainbow a chance.

A tiny magic buffer began to form around Dash, but the speeds both Twilight and the unconsious Rainbow were traveling made the shield hard to hold steady, as well as the distance away. Just had to sustain a bit longer until. Then at a high rate of speed...

*CRA-SPLASH*

Twilight panicked, did the barrier form? Did it do enough to work? All the while, all the ponies on dry land gasped as the water cascaded high in the air, and the small figure from off in the far distance disappeared from visual sight.

Honest Applejack wasn't going to let any more worry keep her motionless. "Apple Bloom...make sure everypony stays here." AJ said flipping her hat over to her little sis, to which the farm pony dove into the lake to help in any way to find Rainbow and Twilight. Everypony listened to Applejack's plea, and waited...and hoped...

***

The Royals, along with Fluttershy still hovered overtop Lake Neightron, trying to find Twilight who dove in immediately after Dash entered the water. The others kept close observation in hope they could see and assist Princess Twilight when she resurfaced. Swimming at a frantic pace, AJ soon neared the same vicinity as the flyers above, searching far deep into the water beneath them.

Just when all hope seemed lost, Applejack spotted a glowing pink light in the water below her hooves. She knew it could only be one thing, Twilight's horn illuminated like almost a spotlight. Luckily, AJ located it quickly.

"Twilight!" Applejack called out, garnering the attention of those nearby. But before any of the others could speak, the Earth Pony took a deep breath and dove into the depths. Being a pony with no method of perpulsion, Applejack struggled to swim quickly, but had to give all she could.

Princess Celestia, Luna, and Fluttershy could only wait and watch the ocassional air bubble float to the surface. After what seemed like forever...

*SPLASH*

Applejack and Twilight were coughing and gasping franticly for air. "Don't worry Twilight, I got ya!" AJ assured her friend, but the Princess of Friendship wasn't concerned about herself at the moment.

"Don't worry about me...help her!" Princess Twilight stated in a near plea. AJ lent a hoof to help Twilight pull the unconscious pegasus over the waters. And together Applejack and Twilight tried with their full might to pull the fallen mare back to shore. Doing so, the Earth Pony couldn't help but catch glimpse at her friend, and the lack of visual appearance Rainbow showed. It brought back terrible memories she witnessed in recent days. There was no guarantee anypony would like what they were about to see...

***

Back at shore, when ponies could get to a position to lend a hoof, everypony helped the drenched ponies come ashore. Though all went hush when Twilight pulled Rainbow Dash completely onto dry land. The visual was shocking. Dash's black and white appearance. All were hesitant to approach or speak, and Twilight was on the verge of breaking...she felt she had let her friend down in ways unimaginable.

Even poor Scootaloo for the second time in a brief period had to witness her "big sister" in a helpless state. Regrettably, Fluttershy grabbed her and flew the filly in air to vent and greeve. Seeing Rainbow Dash in peril once was enough, twice in the same day was simply too much to bare. She cried on Fluttershy's shoulder, who hugged Scoots tightly to console herself as much as the young one in her arms.

Twilight desperately tried to emit any spark of magic, anything that could give her friend any recovery. But all seemed dim with every fading flicker.

*PFFT* *PFFFT*

"Sister..." Princess Luna spoke to her elder. "If the young one perishes, all of that Alicorn magic...from Twilight Sparkle and ourselves will be lost forever..."

Celestia couldn't even give an answer, a response. An acknowledgement nor denial. Only lower her head in disappointment. To the Princesses, letting any subject fall was inexcusable to their heightened standards. But for that one to be an element barer?

Princess Twilight continued trying all she could, anything that came to mind and hoof she attempted. Baring no change. For all the ponies, it was becoming harder and harder to watch.

"She did everything for us, why did this have to happen Applejack? This just isn't fair..." Young Apple Bloom sniffled through each sentence, her elder trying to console her.

"I know it ain't Sugarcube..." Applejack agreed with her little sister, hugging her tightly to hold back any tears. "It...just ain't..."

Slowly, try as she might, the magical electricity from Twilight's horn began to disappear. Any chance Twilight had to save Rainbow...was gone.

The tears began to flow down and plopped next to her friend's magically deformed white hooves which failed to show any sign of movement. Princess Celestia and Luna lay a hoof on the younger Princesses' shoulders to let her know that they, as well as the rest of the ponies were there.

Everypony gathered in a circle and stayed in silence, paying their respects to the pegasus that had saved them all. Using her own remaining physical strength, the Alicorn lifted Rainbow's lifeless body onto the her back. Sniffling and trying hard to a catch a breath to speak, Twilight spoke...

"Come everypony...let's bring her home..." Twilight then began to carry Rainbow Dash, with the rest Mane Six closely behind to begin the difficult return home. Though it would be a million times harder emotionally than physically. The Princesses and the rest of the Ponyville residents also payed their respects for the journey. While everypony began the trek, many ponies became distracted by something that caught their eyes in the sky. Some pointing their hooves, others speaking in distress and confusion. It led to all the ponies to look above, and all became to see what was causing the alarm.

From the sky above, the reddish colored vapor began to slowly descend to the land. A colored vapor the Mane Six and Princesses had become familiar with over the past few days. But this vapor didn't appear like the colors of the rainbow they had recognized from their friend. It bared the familiar resemblance of something else.

"Could it be..." Twilight spoke mostly to herself, but loud enough for others to hear. The trail of vapor slowly spiraled down overtop the ponies, mainly over The Princess of Friendship who had her fallen friend on her back. "Raindoom? Is that you?" Twilight spoke once more, garnering a collective gasp from many a pony.

Suddenly, each pony had a look of confusion. A voice was speaking to them. But not in their ears...but in their hearts. The words were the same spoken to mare and stallions alike...

It was Raindoom, and it would be its last words spoken...

"Do not worry ponies...Remember what I told your friend...Believe in her, just as she believed in you. And she will be fine. Consider this my last gift to you...my friends."

Upon Raindoom's final words, the essence of red vapor flowed straight through Rainbow Dash's chest, one would think it may have pierced through her heart if beating. The ponies at first were anticipating some form of immediate solution, but it did not happen...turning their reactions somber once more. None more so than Twilight who closed her eyes in disarray.

Then, without warning, Twilight could suddenly feel a glowing warmness beneath her, and almost simultaneously the Princess could hear all her fellow ponies take a set of hoofsteps back. When Twilight opened her eyes, she saw it...along with everypony else. Rainbow Dash's body was glowing in a sheening gold aura. By the second, the glowing grew warmer, and brighter to the ponies touch and sight before them.

Then to everypony's amazement, the motionless body of the pegasus began to lift off the ground, even though her usual constant flapping wings remained still. Princess Twilight attempted to grab her friend, but the pegasus quickly floated out of reach. Leading to the Princess to fly up, but the glowing continued to brighten, almost as bright as the sun Celestia would raise each day. All the while, the rainbow pegasus was still not awake, but something was clearly occurring for everypony to observe...they could only hope it would end well.

Until...

*BOOOOM*

All the ponies adverted their eyes at the sheer brightness of what looked like another sun in the sky where Rainbow Dash hovered. The heat from the illuminating glow made it feel like a sun as well. Over the next moments the blinding light slowly began to subside, allowing ponies to gaze above. And they were awed at what they saw...

A completely color restored Rainbow Dash hovered over all the townsponies, still her wings unmoving. But what caught the pony's eyes was Rainbow's mane. Like both royals, Rainbow had a elegant free-flowing mane moving in the breeze, bringing a sense of pure aura to the pegasus, if that was the correct term to give.

The glowing pegasus softly landed on all fours on the ground, slowly opening her eyes seemingly oblivious to all that occurred. Her stunning purple iris in her eyes had returned along with her beautiful colored coat. "Tw-Twilight?"

One word was all the ponies needed to hear to burst into a cheer.

"RAINBOW!!!" The Mane Six and CMCs rejoiced. They all quickly trotted over and gave the rainbow pegasus a massive hug, all happier than they had ever been. Many comments followed, such as Rarity admiring Rainbow's new free flowing mane which the fashionist saw for the first time, or Applejack complimenting how strong her friend now looked. Chuckling and laughing all the while, but one thing to them was still unanswered.

"But how in the pickin' did that happen again?" Applejack asked all the ponies, all who were very confused.

"I know..." Fluttershy agreed. "I've never seen you have that golden glow before Rainbow Dash." With her mane still flowing started walking alongside her friends.

"I think I figured it out, and in fact, I think The Princesses can explain it too." Rainbow's remark caught the Royal's attention. Despite the mare's remark, both Celestia and Luna were still unsure. For this was only the first time they witness this phenomenon, for the Mane Six it was their second time. But based on what Rainbow told them, and from what Zecora told Twilight before, this had been the now third time this occurrence happened within a mere matter of days. When all the ponies couldn't give Dash an answer, the pegasus gave her thoughts. "Remember back at Ponyville hospital Princess, when you told the story of the Rainbow Pegasi? I remember hearing something that you said..."

"When the sun and rain ponies were united in harmony, the strength and speed of the rainbow ponies grew. At their peak, many believed the power of a Rainbow Pegasus was virtually limitless."

While many of the Mane Six only understood what Dash said at face value, for Twilight Sparkle it made so much more sense. In fact, it marely explained everything. All those millennia ago, the different groups of pegasi strengthened the Rainbows; in the present, all the races of ponies are united in harmony. Earth Ponies, Unicorns, and Pegasi alike all bonded in friendship. The level of unity amongst all ponykind would multiply a Rainbow Pegasi's power nearly beyond compare.

Twilight realized it would have also explained how Rainbow Dash was strong enough to bare all of the Princesses' Alicorn magic. It would have taken a pony to bare a level of strength, power, and courage unfathomable to process that much magic.

...Just like Rainbow Dash.

While all the Mane Six were still celebrating, Rainbow did feel something did need to be done before moving onward.

"Well, as awesome as this looks, I think all this magic should go back to who it belongs to..." Rainbow's sentiments seemed to be agreed on by the ponies whose magic she bared. Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and Twilight Sparkle all gathered round. All three Princesses lowered their horns towards the pegasus, who unfurled her wings and began to focus deeply attempting to activate the powerful magic within her.

Upon a spurs notice, giant sparks of magic erupted high above and the Alicorns used the magic they had to attract the own bands of magic. After a tenuous lapse of time, it was done. All the Princesses' Alicorn Magic was back to their rightful owners, each Princess lighting their horns to show each townspony their restored abilities.

Everything was back to normal, the way they had remembered just from a few days prior. If only so many events hadn't had occurred to put all their lives in perspective.

Twilight, completely replenished of her own magic went over to Rainbow to check on her, knowing the massive magical release would cause a level of strain, but Dash simply looked to her and smiled.

"Wow..." Rainbow said in a bit of fated breath. "That was...(YAWN)...awe...some..."

And just as she finished, Rainbow's eyes closed and slumped forward, which Twilight caught her with her newly reacquired magic. The moment caused another quick bit of worry. "What happened? Is she alright?" Young Scootaloo spoke.

*SNORE* *PHEW* *SNORE*

A small chuckle came from Twilight upon the sounds beneath her. "I think she's just fine Scootaloo. After everything that's happened, I'd say she's exhausted..."

"I think Rainbow Dash has earned a nice, long rest." Princess Celestia said with pride, getting a smile of satisfaction from her younger sister as well.

Everypony began to gain more and more cheer, except for Rainbow of course, who was getting some well deserved "Z's". As all the Ponyville residents began to make the long track home, they all knew it would be a much happier and peaceful journey.

And they all had a certain rainbow pegasus to thank for it.

***

(One Week Later...)

When back in Ponyville, Rainbow Dash was taken to Ponyville Hospital as a precaution to allow the pegasus to rest and heal up at her own leisure. And while Dash was resistant to doing so, the others convinced her it was needed and for the best. During her stay, the nurses conducted tests and other exams to test how Rainbow felt physically. To everypony's surprise, Rainbow Dash not only made a full recovery, but it many ways appeared stronger than she ever had.

On the positive side, when Dash wasn't going through tests and physicals, the free time allowed her to read her entire Daring Do series again, another seven times. Every day, Dash would read all the books through again, proving that the only thing faster than her reading was her flying.

All her friends were by her side when Rainbow was given the A-O-K and a clean bill of health. When the pegasus came out of the hospital, the whole town came to greet her and cheer. A truly humbling moment for Rainbow Dash, she didn't think there could be anything more awesome than this.

The next day, as all the Mane Six were walking through the town with the CMCs accompanying them, they looked over a stack of newspapers they had gathered throughout the past day. One by one from the Foal Free Press amongst others, reading the headlines...

"RAINBOW DASH SAVES PONYVILLE!"

Reading the front page of the next paper, from The Canterlot Chronicle...

"RAINBOW DASH SAVES CANTERLOT!!"

Then another from The Equestria Daily, put on top in the biggest print of all of them...

"RAINBOW DASH SAVES EQUESTRIA!!!"

Each picture of Rainbow Dash looking more over-the-top than the previous. "Oh golly, she's never gonna let us live this down." Applejack said to all the Mane Six in a factual, yet sarcastic voice. But Rarity was quick to interject.

"Oh of course not Applejack...after all, Dashie did it all by herself. Right darling?" An equally half-joking question came from the fashion pony of the group. But Rainbow Dash was quick to give her side.

"I told everypony that you all helped, they didn't buy it..." Rainbow Dash insisted in that as the truth, and although the others were skeptical, Scootaloo had her "big sister's" flank.

"But it's true, she did tell them. I was there." Scoots backed Rainbow up, but the statement was to The Princess of Friendship, like a needle to the eye.

"Wait...weren't you supposed to be in school Scootaloo?" Princess Twilight's question led to a hesitant chuckle from the filly, making Twilight Sparkle's look more demented. "YOU...SKIPPED...SCHOOL!!!?"

After the ponies managed to calm Twilight down after a lengthy tangent to the Mane Six and CMCs about the importance of school and education, a group of young fillies called to Rainbow Dash to come meet them. The pegasus was more than happy to oblige as Scootaloo went alongside. The group looked on as the excited young mares and colts talked to Rainbow Dash with "oohs" and "aahs" during her talk, after giving them all a hug a piece and pointing over to the said group of ponies she headed over from. The gang looked on in curiosity as they couldn't hear Rainbow's words, but her gestures towards the Mane Six and CMCs surprised them all. Soon then, the younger ponies came over to greet the rest of them.

"Hello." Said the young filly who took the head of the group of youngins'. "Uh, we wanted to thank Rainbow Dash for saving us, but she said that we should really thank all of you." The rainbow pegasus stood behind them all looking to her friends, a smile on her face.

"What!? She did?" Princess Twilight asked in shock, which was responded with several nodding heads from the children, along with a wink from Rainbow. Rainbow's friends then gratefully gave all the welcome to the thanks given to them, and soon the children went back to their parents when all the kind gestures were made. "Rainbow Dash, why did you tell those fillies to do that?" Twilight asked out of curiosity.

"Yeah." Pinkie Pie followed up. "You know that we're joking about helping you. Everypony knows that you're the one who saved Equestria."

Rainbow Dash was sort of surprised, for it seemed like her friends really didn't understand their importance during this whole affair.

"You might not really think it, but all of you really were the reason why I was able to do what I did. If I'm really one of those Rainbow Pegasi of legend, then your friendships with me is what made me strong enough to save Equestria, that makes all of you just as important as anything I did."

Rainbow's words were true inspiration to all the ponies present. It was an important lesson to always remember. That even when you think you're the only one who can make a difference, it's equally as important to remember those around you who can lend a hoof...no matter how big or small. All the ponies looked to one another and nodded in approval with what Dash told them.

Dash quickly moved on from the speech, not really thinking it was a big deal. Using her wings, she flipped Scootaloo onto her back and called for her friends to hurry up. "Let's get to The Poniful girls, I'm dying for some pancakes."

After a bit of a walk, Rainbow noticed that the girls weren't really staying close behind, but only watching the pegasus herself with a smile on their faces. "What's the matter with you all? Aren't ya coming?"

Each of the other Mane Six and CMCs looked to one another to see who should speak first. Ultimately The Princess of Friendship did. "We're just...surprised Rainbow Dash. All of this has...really brought out the best of you."

Before any more statements could be made, Pinkie Pie stopped Twilight. "Wait..." Pinkie screamed out after a long, exacerbated gasp. "SHE IS THE PONY OF THE ELEMENTS!"

The others rolled their eyes somewhat, feeling they had already gone over this. "Yes Darling." Rarity responded ho-hummish. "A Rainbow Pegasi of legend. Rain, sun, rainbows...elements of weather. We established this already Pinkie..."

"NO NO NO! With The Elements of Harmony!" Pinkie yelled back, pulling down a big rainbow arrow pointing to her friend out of virtually nowhere, awhile Dash raising an eyebrow. Quickly after zipping off, Pinkie returned moments later, carrying all of their respective necklaces of elements, along with Twilight's tiara of Magic. "You see! She was Loyal to all of Equestria, she was Honest about what really happened, she's been Kind to talk to everypony around, she's been Generous to share the credit, she's made us Laugh ever since we've seen her, and she was REALLY good with all that Magic!" One by one tossing each necklace around Rainbow's neck, as well as the crown on her head. "SHE REALLY IS THE PONY OF THE ELEMENTS!" Pinkie began crying in front of everypony. "She's gonna put all of us out of work!!!"

A utterly confused Rainbow Dash, now dripping in "gold bling" just stared at the rest of The Mane Six hoping they had a solution. Under her breath, Rarity was expressively pointing to the sulking pink pony, mouthing to Rainbow Dash quietly "Say Something..."

A sobbing Pinkie Pie now lay head first in an ever rising pool of tears, Rainbow patted the party pony awkwardly on the back trying to make her feel better as best she could.

"But Pinkie, if I put all of you out of work. That wouldn't be very kind...or generous...or funny...or very magic...like stuff...right?"

Upon hearing that, the crying stopped and Pinkie's ears stood straight up. "Oh, that's right! Nevermind!" Pinkie popped right back up, pulling off all the elements from Rainbow's head and threw out of plain sight. "We're all gonna be just fine!" Giving a "squee" afterwards.

"Tell ya what..." Dash assured the group, while putting a hoof on her party friend's shoulder. "I'll go back being to my old, awesome, "No other harmony elements" self..." Using air quotations. "...if we all go pig out on some pancakes together...Deal?"

"DEAL!" The group...with the exception of Rarity of course. The mare thought of a visual of stuffing and scarfing food was a truly hideous visual. But, she still followed along, as the excited ponies were all about to have a ball. Leading the way, Rainbow started getting very psyched, to the point that she couldn't resist singing a tune they sang once before...

Rainbow Dash:
I really am so awesome,
Yes, it's so clear to see.
But I never could be that way
without my friends with me.

With Pinkie, Fluttershy, AJ
Twilight, and Rarity...

Rainbow stopped and looked up to the sky above her. It was a beautiful cloudless, sunny day, but she almost wished that there was at least one cloud. It would have reminded her of the one who helped Rainbow save Equestria. And she owed everything to that very cloud. With a smile, all she could do was gather a thought. "And you too Raindoom...wherever you are."

Very quickly upon thinking those remarks, Rainbow felt a glowing warmness in her heart. Almost like Raindoom could hear the compliments given, bringing a bigger smile to her face, making Dash feel even happier.

Rainbow Dash:
You make me happy.
That's what I'm meant to be!

(Rainbow claps her hooves together in rhythm, and all her friends follow along for their grand finale.)

Everypony:
When we're happy,
We can light up a town.
Spreading joy and cheer to everypony around.

With friendship like this, It's so easy to see,
That we're happy.
We're really happy.
It's what...we're meant...to be!!!

It was true that Rainbow Dash was incredibly thankful for all the awesome friends she bared, that in kind made herself, even more awesome! And as all the ponies laughed and enjoyed the fun they shared under the beautiful sunny day.

But always remembering in irony, that it was the selfless acts of a once dark cloud which helped a rainbow bring the bright sun back again to the magical land of Equestria.

THE END

Comments ( 3 )

11246741
Actually I think it’s more like the cover art looks really familiar to me. Where did you get it?

11276449
Maybe? Is there a reason why you didn’t link to that story?

JTH

11613229
The cover art I constructed. It's just two separate images I blended together and then overlaid the title name. Here's the two separate images to show.
IMG1 - https://ibb.co/CHnHdHw
IMG2 - https://ibb.co/WDSdSQP

Login or register to comment