• Published 18th Jun 2021
  • 694 Views, 8 Comments

The End of the Rainbow - JTH



When an elemental phenomenon returns after many millennia, it's discovered that only one pony can rid of it and save the land. But doing so may come at a terrible price...

  • ...
1
 8
 694

Chapter 12

Nearly another day had gone by in Equestria, of course with the spell still up the sky continued to have it's now recognized pale, grey look. And if what the Princesses said was true, it would be maybe only another day or two before the spell protecting the land faded, leaving Raindoom to have his way. So action needed to be made, but what action was the question.

Twilight respected Rainbow Dash's request to speak with her privately in the castle, and the others had to attend to other important matters amongst themselves and their families to prepare. This left the rainbowed Pegasus and Alicorn Princess alone to talk to themselves. Rainbow mainly sat in her own throne while Twilight paced back and forth to both converse as well to continue to formulate a plan of action. But Twilight had many questions on her mind, mainly where Dash had been after she left the confines of the Canterlot Castle. The problem was Rainbow wanted to get her word in first.

"I don't understand why you didn't stand up for me back at the castle?" The outspoken mare stated up front, now talking while a float. "I could be fully in control of your magic by now if the Princesses would have just gave me a chance like they said they would...now I'm nowhere close to prepared to battle Raindoom, and Princess Celestia AND Princess Luna probably don't even wanna look at me right now."

Twilight was getting slightly irritated at Dash not taking responsibility for her own actions as well. Twilight sat down in her own throne and waited for Rainbow to conclude her ranting. "Well, that may not have happened if you didn't snap at them like you did..." The Princess of Friendship snapped back with a quiet, yet tone that could be easily heard.

"Well, why wouldn't I?!" Rainbow bolted into Twilight's face to confront her. "They promised they'd help me, and they went back on their word. They lied to me Twilight, so don't tell me they're right..." Pointing at her with a hoof of defiance. "You know they're not!"

Twilight was conflicted at being put on the spot by Rainbow Dash's comments. "I don't know what's right anymore Rainbow Dash...I know the Princesses are right, but I know you're right too. Time is running out and I don't know what to do!" As Twilight slammed her head on the cutie map in regret.

Dash suddenly felt a mood of sorrow now. She didn't mean to make her friend feel bad, it was more to make Twilight understand why herself felt bad. This was an ordeal that none of them knew how to deal with, but for Rainbow Dash it certainly was a much different reality of the matter. She expected to be consoled by Twilight, but she wasn't expecting to do the consoling herself. She hovered over to Twilight, still very dejected in morale.

"Come on Twilight, you're supposed to be pepping me up, not the other way around." Rainbow's open hearted words made the Princess sniffle before looking up to her flying friend. It did make Princess Twilight realize something, having now closely looking at her friend up close, she realized that Rainbow almost dare she thought looked good as new. Showing no signs of ill effect or exhaustion. A far cry from when Twilight had seen Dash earlier in the day.

"I have to say Rainbow, I am impressed with how quick you recovered. You had me and the Princesses worried with how injured you looked when you left Canterlot." Twilight's comment was given in sincerity, Dash was humbled by the remark and felt to explain.

"I know right." Dash commented on her unscathed self. "Zecora makes an awesome berry juice. Made me feel better in no time..." Perhaps though for Rainbow Dash, she spoke a bit too much for Twilight raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

"Zecora? You went to Everfree?" Twilight puzzled to her friend, having more and more questions with each she asked. "How did you expect us to find you there?"

Dash sarcastically chuckled realizing her error, spilling the hay so willingly. "Umm, I kinda didn't wanna be found...I mean, it wasn't that big a deal. I mean, I wasn't that hurt..." Trying to fib away the seriousness of the matter.

"Well you sure looked that hurt when you flew off. To me, and to all of us." Twilight felt the need to point out.

The two continued to bicker back and forth although the emotion didn't elevate to a peak of raising their voices towards each other, just each pony trying to really get their point across that they knew better than the other. After a good while Rainbow Dash slouched over into her throne chair, realizing they still weren't getting anywhere, Twilight realized the same when she saw the look on her friend's face.

"I'm sorry Rainbow..." Twilight apologized. "We're just trying to help, but we don't really know what could even help..."

"Actually..." Rainbow began to speak up, hovering back over to Twilight. "Maybe a little party would help. Pinkie Pie did seem excited to wanna throw one. So maybe..." Twilight perked up in excitement.

"Say no more Dash. I'll let Pinkie know. In the meantime, I'd say you stay off your hooves for a bit to stay rested up." Twilight's comment was greeted with a clearing of Rainbow's throat.

"Uh...Twilight." Rainbow stated. "I am off my hooves." Pointing to the obvious fact that she was still flying. Twilight just rolled her eyes happily, knowing Dash didn't get the figment of speech. But it did feel good that the two could have actual conversation again.

***

Another day was about to end, and back in The Royal Castle of Canterlot, there was added strain for the Royals to continue keeping their cloaking spell powered. The younger sister Luna encouraged her elder Celestia to try and rest during the night sky whenever possible, but it was proving more difficult for each of them. It was to the point where Luna would stay within her sister's room in case of any concern. Much like Rainbow Dash, Luna began witnessing the presence of nightmares in her sister's sleep as well, growing worse each time she slumbered.

And this one, the worst yet...

***

The Princess of the Day stood atop a small broken fragment of rock, trembling with fear to the point to being unable to fly away. The sky above looked dark and fierce, rain pelting her flowing mane, the clouds swirling menacely. Loud bangs of thunder and lightning were heard as well with the ground shaking and rumbling beneath her. Suddenly a quick bolt of flashing lightning aimed directly for Celestia who attempted to use her Alicorn Magic to thwart it, but for reasons she didn't understand, her magic would not emerge. Facing a fear of hopelessness, Celestia closed her eyes, awaiting the inevitable attack. But suddenly...

A blast of darkened blue magic destroyed the bolting blast in it's path, and when Princess Celestia reopened her eyes, her younger sister Luna hovered above her beginning to lower to the rocky platform she stood on.

"Sister! I came into your dream as fast as I could..." Princess Luna urgently spoke, both looking above to the dark clouds and sky above.

"I can't be overcome by fear..." Princess Celestia demanded. "This is only a dream!" But the remark was quickly followed by a familiar rumbling response.

"That's what you think Princess!"

The clouds above began to form into a singular entity, glowing blue eyes opening. It was their nemesis. The being that needed to be stopped...

"Raindoom!" The Princess stated in a demeanor of shock. "But this is a dream, you can't truly be here." The comment was followed by another burst of meniscal laughter.

"This is very real Princesses...my ability to harness your magic has allowed me to traverse into what you know as "The Dream Realm". The very reason your magic does not affect me, is because your powers are now my powers."

Suddenly, Raindoom began to glow, turning from red to grey. Then with a sudden blast of power, the Princesses turned to the surprise that the entire visual horizon had been altered. This entity that claimed to be Raindoom was able to change and evolve the dream they all stood in. To Celestia and Luna though, that was impossible. Only The Princess of the Night had the ability to alter dreams, change dreams to nightmares or the opposite affect. The two looked up, now realizing the true seriousness of the matter as Raindoom's figure reformed.

"This dream is dangerously real, and to think your young pupil realized this before either of you did!"

Princess Celestia gasped, stomping a fore hoof in disgust by the remark. "What!? You have been haunting her dreams as well!?"

"Indeed I have!" Said the creature with a brash boldness. "The whole point was to break the young one's spirit, fortunately, you did that for me!" Followed by a sinister laugh, confusing the Princesses.

"What do you speak of Raindoom!? We have done no such thing!" Luna belted out at their foe above them.

The laughter from Raindoom continued down as the denial of the royal he took as a joke. "The two of you truly do not know the error of your ways..."

Luna and Celestia could only look to one another, not understanding the words being spoken. The dark figure above was in a bizarre twist of fate, shed light on such a dark reality of matter.

"Her idea to use your magic was actually quite brilliant. With all of your combined power, the young one would most certainly have been able to vanquish me." The look on the villain's face seemed legitimate, it believed the words it spoke were quite true as the Princesses looked on, but it had more to speak of. "But now, with your reluctance and refusal to aide your assistance, you have now doomed her to oblivion..."

The deathly silence fell across the figment horizon. Almost as if the foe was waiting for one of the royals to speak, a brief pause later, one did.

"And what do you plan to do to her Raindoom?" Luna proclaimed in a low, lifeless voice.

"I do not plan to do anything to the young one." Raindoom explained. "Her resistance will be her own choice. I know you know this young pegasus very well, and I'm sure you also know that she will continue to resist and fight; with or without your magic. And your unwillingness to help will only motivate her further to do what you both know she can never succeed!"

The Princesses couldn't even speak, give a retort or anything. Could it be that they truly caused this?

"I plan to do what I was created to do. To flood your land of Equestria away...And when it is done, and your young pupil drowns in the tears of her failures and yours, you will only have yourselves to blame!"

The laughter that then ensues was loud and thunderous, with cracks of lightning and howling winds. Princess Luna then began to lose focus on her ability to control her presence in Celestia's dream any further; so knowing so, Luna grabbed hold of her elder sister to assure they returned to the "Waking World" together...

***

Celestia awoke in a snap following her exit from The Dream Realm a sharp gasp, Luna soon struggled to her hooves as well. Both continuing to grow weaker, almost to the point of their magic beginning to flicker from their horns, doing so made the sky's horizon do the similar scene their horns did moments before. Both had their heads down, reminiscing what Raindoom had told them. Not just what they had done, but what they made have also caused per result of their actions.

"Sister..." Princess Luna mumbled in a panting panic. "I fear we have made a terrible mistake..."

Celestia couldn't answer, only exit her bed and slowly head to the window to gaze out to the sky's horizon. Luna continued on knowing her sister was still listening. "Raindoom has become far too powerful, there is no way the young one can defeat him on her own..."

Luna joined her elder sister by the window to gaze upon the city of Canterlot below them. As powerful as both Princesses were, never had felt as helpless to lent a hoof at the impending danger that would soon arrive. Options were becoming very limited, it was also unlikely that even if they reconsidered helping Rainbow Dash and reattempting a Magical Transfer, their powers had grown far weaker, and would only grow more weaker when the upcoming face-off commenced. They would serve little to give in magic when the time came to make any difference.

What made matters even worse was if they tried to help the young pegasus to stop Raindoom, his increased powers with their weaken ones, may prove to be a futile gesture of assistance. Yet they had to continued spending their magic and thus further exhausting their reserved magic output. The Princesses had thus decided, it was time to find the rainbow pegasus now, for they knew their magic wouldn't last much longer and Rainbow Dash would need to be ready.

Ready for the potential battle of all battles, the battle to save Equestria from total catastrophe...