• Published 18th Jun 2021
  • 694 Views, 8 Comments

The End of the Rainbow - JTH



When an elemental phenomenon returns after many millennia, it's discovered that only one pony can rid of it and save the land. But doing so may come at a terrible price...

  • ...
1
 8
 694

Chapter 7

The room became quiet as Twilight began to focus her magic, the level and combinations of spells she attempted to conjure up in her head would give a normal mare quite the headache. But once she believed she processed the proper magical spells together...

*ZAP*

A bright purple energy blast shot directly in Rainbow Dash's direction. Instincts would normally tell Dash to dodge it, but this instance was different. All she could do was close her eyes and brace for the impact.

And POW! The blast connected, filling the castle with an illuminating light. Princess Twilight herself even had to advert her vision away. Seconds later, the light dimmed and the Princess of Friendship slowly began to open their eyes. And upon what she saw, followed with a gasp of shock.

"Twilight..." Dash spoke out, eyes still closed. Almost like she was nervous to see the results. "Did it work?"

A long silence followed, along with a bunch of random noises of trying gather a word to speak. Finally, an answer came. "Uh...not...exactly..."

"What's that supposed to mean? What happened then..." But when the rainbow mare opened her eyes, she wished that she hadn't. For upon glance, Rainbow Dash saw a pair of wings...slight problem though, the pair of wings were on the same side of her body. She screamed in shock, but more was to come, for when she turned to look at the other side, Dash saw the same sight. Another pair of wings...

Rainbow Dash gazed at the freakiness of herself with not one, but two pairs of wings. So yeah...not exactly what Dash had in mind when it came to a magic spell to help her fly faster. She kinda wished that the add on wouldn't literally be an add on of extra appendages. The more she looked back and forth, the more she couldn't stand the sight of them. And another scream followed.

"Oh no...no no NO NO!!" Twilight began to spaz. She quickly began to think of another combination of spells. The problem now was the added pressure to fix the new problem created as quickly as possible, and becoming more nervous of what she had gotten them both into was sure to make the task even more difficult to help make a proper spell. And soon, new blast of magic hurled towards Rainbow. Like before, the blast hit head on.

The light intensified once more, and soon once again faded. This time however, Rainbow Dash didn't want to wait. She opened her eyes to gaze up, and the situation had not improved. While, the multiple sets of wings disappeared, now her wings had grown to twice the size of her body. Granted, it did make her wingspan look like an elegant pose for a picture...you couldn't convince her of that right here and now though. Another yell followed, both ponies were in a total panic. Twilight had to fix this and now! Finally out of pure desperation, Twilight shot one more blast to her friend.

The blast hit again. And when Rainbow opened her eyes, her wings were back to normal size. A sigh of pleasure followed. "Ah...thanks Twi, glad that's over with..."

But when Dash looked over to Twilight, her mouth was wide open. And a familiar look of shocked horror followed, and a slight quick shake of the head of what the princess seemed to think she'd done. "Twilight...what's wrong?" Dash asked.

"Nothing..." Came an answer that had the mix of a thousand emotions, none of which mind sounded good. "...just don't look in the mirror!"

The rainbow mare was confused. "But, why wou..."

Rainbow stopped mid sentence when she gazed over to the giant reflection of the palace mirror in the library. Twilight could only close her eyes in shame as Rainbow Dash looked in the mirror to see...that.

Rainbow was looking at the sight of an Alicorn, but not Twilight who was behind her in the reflection, but of herself! Dash look atop her forehead to see a bright blue unicorn's horn to match the wings on her back. Rainbow was on the verge of tears at what she saw, trying to hold in her feelings...but she couldn't any longer, this with along with everything else that had transpired finally erupted. It had simply become too much to bare.

"NOOOO!!!!" The scream of the mare could be heard all throughout the castle, and even the close proximity outside beyond the castle. The frightened Rainbow Dash ran out of the library as fast as her hooves could take her.

"Rainbow wait!" Twilight called out after her giving chase.

Rainbow Dash tried to get as far away from the castle as possible. But when she careened through the front doors, she stopped to find all her friends there at the entrance as well. They all gasped at the sight they gazed upon. Was that really a horn on Dash's head? But before another pony could speak a word, Twilight Sparkle used the opportunity to blast Rainbow Dash with another magic beam; and when all looked again, Rainbow Dash was FINALLY back to normal. No more abnormalities, no more spells, no nothing.

"WHY ARE YOU ALL DOING THIS ME!?!?!?!"

The question echoed out, as the friends took the yell face front. Rainbow though fell to her rump and buried her hooves in her face. Twilight quickly ran over to comfort her friend who groveled in shame. "Rainbow, we're sorry! We were just trying to make you feel better, but we only ended up making you feel worse..."

"N-No kidding..." Dash moaned out, as if she really needed to have the Princess of Friendship to tell her their idea ended in a total fail.

The girls conversed to one another to understand the trials and tribulations throughout the day, and they all realized just the matter of talking to each other helped so much more than the ludacris lengths all went to, to cheer up their friend. It was certainly an important lesson to remember.


"I guess we all learned an important lesson," Princess Twilight stated. "Next time, we should help by keeping your mind off of a problem, instead of constantly reminding you." The other Mane Six members present nodded in agreement.

"I'd appreciate that, thanks." Came the response of Rainbow Dash, who clearly seemed satisfied with what was said. Upon the remark, Dash was pulled in by the farmer pony of the group Applejack once more. She had an idea, a much better one than her previous.

"Tell ya what Rainbow. I could use an actual hoof of help at the farm, why don't you come." Pulling her friend in close, though Dash seemed hesitant on the offer. "I'll make cider..." The farmer upped the deal. The rainbow pegasus put a hoof under her chin to think about it, and then looked to her friend with a smile.

***

Sweet Apple Acres was preparing for yet another grand apple harvest, plentiful amounts of apples were going to be used to make Sweet Apple's Famous Cider, known throughout all Equestria. Just the thought made Rainbow's mouth water with anticipation. But Applejack learned many moons ago that help could go a long way to aid in a quicker harvest, and Dash certainly didn't object to assisting. It just meant she could be the first to get her share in cider. The pace was leisure to allow Dash to pace herself, AJ would have preferred a quicker pace, but it allowed them to catch up on everything that transpired. So the two just talked, a casual conversation between two friends. In bits and pieces, Applejack reluctantly would ease into her reasoning for her actions and why, according to Rainbow Dash, would AJ ever think of something SO Not Awesome...Though, when Applejack had heard of every other tactic that was bestowed upon Rainbow by the others throughout the day, it inadvertently made her better feeling she wasn't the only pony that got a might carried away in their attempt of motivation. No matter how ridiculous the Apples' idea was...at least she didn't turn Rainbow into an Alicorn. Granted, it was only for about a minute, but a minute too long; it allowed the two to chuckle at the complete fail the others did as well...needless to say, what a weird day.

The two continued conversing while proceeding in the work planned, Applejack kicking another tree in the base, making dozens of apples fall from their limbs almost on cue, grinning with satisfaction.

"Nothing like a good ole' Apple Buckin' to take the mind off the outside problems." AJ said aloud, Dash raised an eyebrow at the remark.

"But Applejack, we are outside." Dash scoffed, AJ looked back at her and rolled her eyes and chuckled with a smile.

"That's not what I meant by "outside"." She explained, so needless to say they were hitting it off, just like normal. Dash tried to buck as long as she could like Applejack before her stamina started to wane. After several attempt of another buck kick with little progress, Rainbow then tried the desperate, futile attempt of just shaking the apples out by hoof. But those apples were sturdier than a Apple Built Barn as AJ would put it.

"Geez, shaking these things off is harder than it looks." Dash groaned while working a hard sweat, using all her might to get a single fruit to fall, continuing to have limited success.

"Step aside Dash." Applejack advised which Rainbow gladly did. "Sometimes it takes a good kick to get those apples droppin'." With a massive kick, AJ kicked so hard that every apple in the tree fell, plus all the water and moisture that stuck to the tree from the previous night's mysterious rainstorm. "Now that's how you do it Rainbow." Surprising to Applejack, there was no response from Rainbow Dash, AJ wondered if she was just a bit jealous of showing off her skills. Suddenly though, Applejack heard a groan and loud thud from behind, almost loud enough like something hitting the ground, but it sounded larger than an apple, much larger in fact. AJ called her name again then turned around to see a sight... "Rainbow? What in tarnation, what happened to ya?"

Rainbow was laying on the ground quivering, wet like she was splashed. And then Applejack saw it, the finishing remnants of the very same crazy colored vapor coming off Dash from the night before. She quickly came over to help, questioning what was going on. The downed mare pointed a hoof up above them.

"The water...off the tree." Rainbow pointed up her shaking hoof, AJ looked up as well, as the small droplets of water trickled down her hat. Applejack didn't understand though, she hadn't figured it out.

"I don't get it, it's only...runoff from the rainstorm!" AJ gasped as she realized the problem, the same problem that put her friend in danger the first place. This tree and all the others surrounding them contained the elements of the magical rain that Raindoom created, the same that drained the aura...or life essence of such from the weather ponies eons ago; and now Rainbow also. Applejack was caught in a pause, she didn't know what to do but tried to help her friend up, which was difficult to do so AJ dragged her out from underneath the tree's shade hoping a fresh beam from the sun of Celestia would help dry her off. "Dash I'm sorry. I-I wasn't even thinking. Come on now, shake it off. There wasn't THAT much rain water." Applejack struggled to get Dash up on all fours, who could barely support her own weight without wobbling violently in the legs. After a couple minutes, Rainbow regained composure but only after getting a lot of assistance from her friend, AJ then gave a sigh of relief. "Thank heavens." She said wiping the sweat over her head, along with some worry also.

"I...I have to go." Rainbow Dash told Applejack, as she slowly paced away. AJ was hurt by the sudden leave, but she knew it couldn't any near what Rainbow felt to go.

"O-Of course Rainbow. I-I'm sorry again." Applejack conceded with a frown.

"I know Applejack, it's not your fault. I gotta get back to Twilight..." Rainbow assured her, which made Applejack feel better. Rainbow herself though...far from it. Rainbow left Sweet Apple Acres a beaten, down trodden pony. She had to get back to the castle to tell Twilight about what happened, maybe it would give another clue of a course of action. But as time waned, what little strength Dash had left her. Rainbow was both physically and mentally beat. She needed help, but had no clue who to go to to seek it. She just walked with her head down, staring down at the dirt trail below her. Then she got an idea, a pony she could go to. After a slow trip to the location, Dash knocked on the door of a familiar cottage. And when said pony opened the door, a stunned, surprised look came across their face. But that was only the first of what made her shocked.

***

Rainbow Dash sat next to the preset table, looking around to the going and coming animals flying and running by, gazing upon all the garments and window ornaments that decorated the cottage indoors of her friend's home, and tapping her hooves at a rhythm pace on said table before. Just as she started to daydream like she normally did when bored, Fluttershy emerged from from kitchen, with a platter and hot kettle of tea atop in hoof.

"I have to admit I'm surprised to see you here Rainbow Dash, but I certainly won't complain about your company." Flutter happily proclaimed pouring a cup for herself. It wasn't usual she would have a guest for tea other than her friend Discord, it was to the point that she didn't even know if Dash even liked tea or not, but she certainly wouldn't push Rainbow away.

"No problem, I just hope nothing about this tea party gets dangerous." A comment like what Rainbow Dash said was usually in the half witted remark, but Dash didn't say it in her typical awesome tone. Fluttershy though giggled at the remark, for she was sure Rainbow meant it in good heart.

"You've called my tea parties many things, but I don't think "Dangerous" has ever been one of them." She followed with another gleeful giggle. The look on Dash's face though made it clear that this visit wasn't without reason; it certainly wasn't likely that Dash just out of the blue had an sudden itch for a picnic like gathering. So Fluttershy asked... "So if you don't my asking, umm...what brings you here Rainbow Dash?" Giving a clearing of her throat in the process. "Tea parties aren't exactly your...thing."

After a fiddling of an empty cup before her, she gathered herself to give an answer. "I needed somepony to talk to, it...happened again."

"You crashed into a garbage can during Wonderbolt's training?" Fluttershy gasped in response. Dash though turned to her friend and gave a shake of the head in denial.

"No...the rain, draining thing."

Upon the answer, Fluttershy did gather a closer glimpse of Rainbow Dash and began to realize, the colors of her friend's mane seemed dimmer again from before. It made Fluttershy quite sad to see. "Oh, I'm so sorry Rainbow Dash. I wish I could do something to help you. But I have no idea how."

"Well, maybe a hot cup of tea could actually help." Dash responded with a brave face, to assure Fluttershy that nothing was wrong. That it was nothing more than an already fixed problem, hoping to make her friend feel better. And to her delight, it worked; Fluttershy gained a smile believing Rainbow Dash.

"Right, it should be ready to drink." Came the calm, peaceful voice of Fluttershy who picked up the kettle and poured a hot cup full of tea for her friend, followed by a quick blow to chase away the steam it made. "Here you go, careful...it's hot." Holding the kettle's handle with her wing used to pour it's liquid remnants. Once poured, she gently moved the cup to Dash to allow her to sample it.

Dash wasn't much of a tea drinker, but she'd even admit it had a warm, soothing aroma to it. So shoot, what could it hurt she thought. Rainbow took a nice, quick swig of the liquid and swallowed it slowly. It felt of relief, though as it went down her throat, something began to feel off...very off.

"AHHH!" Dash cried out, widening the eyes of her host. "I said it was hot...at least, I thought I did." Fluttershy said aloud.

"What's wrong with this stuff!?" Dash questioned, hunched over the side of table. Huffing for air, coughing dryly, and trying to spit out anything that may have been in her mouth.

"Why, it's just tea." Fluttershy said in confusion. And confused she was. Dash had a concerned look on her face, borderline of straight panic. She was starting to dry heave, profusely sweating, just one thing after another was happening. "What did you put in it, poison?"

"Of course not...it's just tea..." Her friend responded. "...brewed from fresh water from the stream." Pointing to the brook that flowed alongside the cottage. Dash though gasped loudly at the answer.

"The stream!? But the stream would still have...water from Raindoom's...storm..." By the time the rainbowed mare could finish her sentence, she was running out of breath...worse yet, she was having trouble gathering another gasp of air.

Just then, she crumbled off her seat and fell to the floor below. Flutter gasped in shock, scurrying to her friend in peril. Rainbow Dash finally let out a big exhale, but when she did...a massive vapor cloud of color came from her mouth. It was like seeing your breath on a cold winter's day. Fluttershy gazed upon the sight and realized the severe seriousness.

"Oh no! Rainbow Dash...what have I done?" Fluttershy propped up her friend, as Rainbow's color again began to fade like the winter greyhues. Dash was in trouble, Fluttershy was in a panic, she only regained herself hearing her friend's voice.

"Fluttershy...get...help...hurry!" The muffled sound came from the mare's lips. And soon, Dash's eyes closed and her head fell back.

"Oh dear! Angel, look after Rainbow Dash; I'm going to find Twilight!" With that, Fluttershy bolted in a panic out of her cottage while Angel Bunny hopped to Rainbow and fanned his little paws to Rainbow's face to try to give her some air which looked to little avail. Dash tried inhales, short exhales trying to prevent any additional essence to pass. Fluttershy needed to find Twilight, Dash couldn't keep this up much longer and she needed help faster than she could fly. Fluttershy could only hope she could be able to get help in time!

***

Meanwhile at Twilight's Castle, The Princess was continuing to search any and all books to try and gather additional information about what this Raindoom entity was. It was to the point now that she could almost recite an entire page of text before she even turned the following one, on account of how many times she had read them by this point. Spike was there to assist as he usually did, much to his chagrin as well. He gave a pessimistic sigh seeing that even after so long, there had literally been zero progress.

"Come on Twilight, you already checked all these books...three times. You know there's nothing in them that'll help..." Spike told Twilight with a voice showing her assistant being totally bored out of his mind. Sadly, Twilight knew Spike's comment was true, but she just couldn't quit.

"I know Spike...but we have to keep looking." Twilight paused to remember everything she read through in the book in front of her face... "...There has to be something in here that can help find an answer." She finished.

After what appeared to be another failed reexamination, Twilight began to magic three more books over to read, but her concentration was halted by the library doors slamming open followed by a desperate cry.

"Twilight! HELP!!!"

The scream came from Fluttershy, and the lapse of Twilight focusing on her magic, caused the three books she held to come crashing down, ironically right on top of Spike's head, flattening him to the floor; however Twilight was more in the attention of finding out Fluttershy's problem. The yellow colored mare looked to be in a state that could only be described as "A Panical Frenzy". Her panting was extreme, Twilight knew wherever Fluttershy came from, was in a terrible hurry. Twilight zipped over to see her friend. "Fluttershy!? What's wrong?" She asked. Fluttershy's words were quick and choppy trying to catch a breath, stuttering and trembling in fear; but Twilight was partially able to understand her in this frantic state.

"R-R-R-R-Rainbow Dash...in trouble! N-N-Needs help!"

"Oh no! We have to get back to her!" Once Fluttershy told Twilight her location, she held the shy mare by her hoof, and used her magic to teleport them together straight to Fluttershy's cottage. And...

*PLOOP*

In a pink flash, the two ponies disappeared without a trace. Leaving the purple dragon alone in the library, still buried under a barrage of spell books, who called out in a muffle. "Don't worry! I'll be fine!"

But no pony could predict the seriousness at hand, all anyone could hope is they were not too late...