• Published 18th Jun 2021
  • 694 Views, 8 Comments

The End of the Rainbow - JTH



When an elemental phenomenon returns after many millennia, it's discovered that only one pony can rid of it and save the land. But doing so may come at a terrible price...

  • ...
1
 8
 694

Chapter 4

Meanwhile back at Ponyville Hospital, the group had gathered in a room where their friend was set to be brought in. It was what only could be described as a state of franticness when Fluttershy and Applejack brought Rainbow Dash in for care for the doctors and nurses. Dash had sometimes gained a reputation for hamming up silly injuries, but with one glance, doctors could tell that there was nothing silly about her present state. Once she was in their care, she was quickly taken away without another word spoken. The others were informed where the patient would be kept once the evaluation was completed.

It also wasn't every day that the Ponyville Hospital would be gathered with three of Equestria's princesses, so the working mares and stallions knew to treat this patient with the utmost care. All gathered in the room and waited for Dash to arrive. After what seemed like forever, the door to the room finally opened, perking the interest of all present. Nurses began moving in a rolling bed where the patient lay, as the ponies in the room made space to allow the nurses to do their jobs with haste.

"Sorry to keep you all waiting for so long." Came the soothing voice of Nurse Redheart. "It seemed your friend had fallen into a state of shock, but we believe she's going to be alright now, she's resting comfortably..."

The nurses had Rainbow Dash wrapped up tightly in a warm blanket, mainly to keep her dry. Once it was realized that the water from the cloud phenomenon was the causing some form of abnormal effect. Dash was wrapped up like she was a newborn filly, and was magically floated to her bed to rest further. Even though she was now resting, Rainbow Dash still looked far from okay. Upon unveiling the blanket off her mane, her physical and visual appearance was still alarming to the eye. Very noticeable particular to the eyes mainly of her friends present.

"Is it just me, or does her color seem...faded." Rarity brought up, hoping that the dark room was just tricking her eyes. But it wasn't...Twilight hoped that herself was as wrong as her friend. To her eyes, after the amount of time since the disturbance Rainbow's color had slightly restored although she had no clue how. But even with that it was clearly off. Rainbow Dash was known for her vibrant beaming color; her rainbow mane, her beautiful cyan coat, so much so it was believed she could be seen from miles away when glistening through a clear sky. Now though it all looked like a dreary overcast on a Hearth's Warming Eve.

"Oh, I was hoping it was just me...but she does look a bit umm...dim." Fluttershy concurred with a tremble in her voice. In the heat of the moment, Applejack and Fluttershy were too busy getting Dash to aid that the lack of color had gone unrealized.

"Now hold your horses everypony." AJ interrupted the pity party, one party that Pinkie would never throw of course. It was the Apple nature to be up front and speak their thoughts, so Applejack brought up the sixty-four thousand bit question. "Can someone explain to me how Dash was the only pony in Ponyville affected by that there evil raincloud? And how it did THIS!?" Pointing to the results that bestowed her friend, in a hospital bed, looking like a black and white picture still yet to wake up.

"I don't know Applejack," Twilight responded. "...but by the looks it wasn't just in Ponyville. No other pony in all Equestria has shown any signs of ill effect. To any and everypony else, it was just rain."

"Horribly dampening rain, more like it. Positively dreadful!" Rarity made clear, wringing out the water from her mane onto the floor that was used. One thing that had still had mentioned since the disturbance was the form of cryptic message given by the elemental foe they faced.

"Princess Celestia..." Twilight spoke softly to her majesty along side, so not to wake the sleeping slumber. She looked down to her pupil to acknowledge her. "That thing...said "The Pony of The Elements". But aren't all six of us represented by The Elements of Harmony? What did it mean?"

This was now news to all ponies, for some had not heard such words spoken. Though there was no certainty, the Princess of the Day did have a theory. "It is possible that Raindoom may not be referring to "The Elements of Harmony", but rather "The Elements of Weather and Nature."

The ponies contemplated the theory. It did seem strange, but then again, everything that had transpired over the day would be labeled as such...as everything else that seemed to threaten Equestria.

"But even if so, where did this evil cloud come from?" Fluttershy questioned. The existence of Raindoom was a complete question mark to all pony kind. It's history was never studied at The School of Magic, events of Raindoom in Cloudsdale were never spoken of, and no Earth Ponies appeared to have been around any longer that still knew.

But there was pony that did knew of Raindoom...two in fact. And both were in the room they all were gathered in. Princess Twilight turned to her fellow royalty. She recalled Celestia telling Luna during the conflict if the presence before them was who she thought it was. Meaning the Princesses had indeed encountered this being at least once before. Celestia sighed, Luna lowered her head. The Princesses knew that the information would be needed in order to find a way to resolve the dilemma at hand.

"I'm afraid Luna and myself may be able to explain...in fact, we may actually be somewhat responsible for why this has now happened." Celestia gave warning to all company. For now after several millennia, it was time to tell lore of Equestria that few knew, and those who did dare not tell.

Luna and Celestia allowed the ponies to gather around, and thus they began to discuss the origins this terror they now knew as Raindoom.

***

Celestia began to describe the ways of Equestria from many moons past. Most ponies often wished to learn about the ancient history of pony lore, but not often did you get the lecture from a ruler of Equestria herself. She spent time explaining all the lands; Ponyville, Canterlot, and then Cloudsdale. Cloudsdale as the mares learned had changed the most over the years. Most for the better, but some things weren't always well.

"Long ago, before weather ponies as you know controlled the elements of the land, there were three different groups of pegasi who controlled the elements of nature...those who controlled the heat of the sun, those who controlled the fall of the rain, and another group of ponies. Ponies who used the sun and rain together to create beautiful phenomenons...the Rainbow Pegasi." The image of speedy rainbowed stallions and mares zipping through the sky brought a glow and joy to all to listened. Their streaks of color turned the sky into more colors than a pony could count. "When the sun and rain ponies were united in harmony, the strength and speed of the rainbow ponies grew. At their peak, many believed the power of a Rainbow Pegasus was virtually limitless."

Luna then took over the story...

"The Rainbow Pegasi were one of the rarest breeds of pony in all Equestria. It was always believed that whenever a Rainbow Pegasus filly was born, they were sure to be very special." The visual picture that the Princesses gave was a true sight to behold, the ponies present could almost visualize the elegance of the rainbows that flowed in the wind of the flying pegasi. Though with the light of the story, the dark was soon to follow. "But for many years after the events of "The Great Terror", Celestia and myself had feared they had all gone extinct."

The tale was quite intriguing to ponies. Learning of lore they had only dreamed of, understanding the ways of how Equestria became what it was. All had learned of the bond and unity of all the different groups of ponies; the unicorns, earth ponies, and pegasi which led to the culmination of Hearth's Warming Eve. But to learn of a time when even individual groups had yet to fully unify was a mystery to most. Unlike Earth ponies and Unicorns though, Pegasi lived in the sky. Integrating with them in Cloudsdale would prove difficult, let alone learn about their history. It made learning this information valuable to the mares, but suddenly Applejack realized the connection between the present and past.

"Whoa whoa whoa...are you sayin' that Dash could be connected to a legendary group of weather ponies?" AJ asked, looking over to the bedside where her sleeping friend lay. Princess Celestia answered the question.

"Your friend's incredible strength and unfathomable speed had always intrigued me, but after so long, the thought had never occurred to me of her potential rainbow heritage. Now though, after what has transpired today...I am now worried a great deal."

"But, what happened to all those Pegasi? What was "The Great Terror?" Fluttershy questioned, nearly shaking in worry, afraid of what question may lead to.

The question made the two Princesses lower their heads, regretting the next part of the tale that would need to be told.

"I fear that is where Raindoom comes in..." Luna took the response. Beginning to relive and remember the events that would lead to.

***

The sun beamed down a dark glowing red, as it had for many days prior. Thirty straight days prior in fact. Glaring intense heat day in and out, not a drop of rain in sight. Not even a cloud in the sky to give the illusion of any hope for weather to cool the ponies below. Even worse for a day before an invention of sunglasses or sunscreen, ponies young and old had to endure the rays the sun cast down on them. There was little that could be done, it was simply what was forecasted to be from the weather ponies above; all a mare or stallion below could do was awake the next day and hope for a cloud in the sky.

Most ponies were accepted of this reign of weather, but in the private of a group of select weather ponies in Cloudsdale, they began to take matters into their own hooves, and started to concoct a plot to end this great drought throughout Equestria...

Over the continuing days of heat and sun, these rouge rain ponies took it upon themselves to gather information, learning the ways of magic spells, and combining spells to create something more powerful. It all was going to plan...but it still wasn't enough. They needed something more powerful, even stronger magic. But to use magic spells that powerful was forbidden in land of Equestria. So to complete their ploy, they had to gain access to the libraries of Canterlot to acquire the spells and magic necessary to made such a plan possible.

After several days, and rigorous research. This group of rain pegasus had gathered everything they needed. Continued sun and heat would be a thing of past. At sundown, they would put their plot in motion. Never again would the sun reign over the rain.

And at nightfall, they began create something. Using a stray cloud they gathered, they used the power of the ancient forbidden Equestrian magic they had amassed. The spell quickly made the cloud grow in size, in shape...the magic was so strong in fact, in turned into something far more than any of it's creators could have ever imagined. This cloud had transformed into an actual magical weather entity...

And thus...Raindoom was born.

The creation was given a simple objective. To rain over the land, and never cease. The sun pegasus would never be able to do what they had done again.

The creation of this monster severed the bond of not only the sun and rain pegasi, but within the ranks of the rain pegasi themselves. Some would never have ever to build and create such a monstrosity. The weather pegasi all combined try to reason with the rouges to rethink their ways, but the turncoats refused. So when they did, it was up to the remaining pegasi to stop the cloud above them created to flood the land, as the sun had flood heat onto the land for many days before. But what the pegasi did not expect was this entity above them had magical properties they never could have imagined. This is where Celestia began to explain to the ponies back in present time of what the creature was capable of.


"Using the forbidden ancient spells cast upon it, this storm gained the unenabled ability to absorb all the essence from any pony of either sun or rain elemental traits. Growing in power the more it absorbed from the weather pegasi who attempted to intervene."

***

Back in the hospital, Princess Twilight wrapped her brain around the realization of what transpired in the past, to what had occurred earlier in the day. Essence stealing magic, from rain and sun elemental pegasi.

"Rain and sun element traits...like...rainbows?" Twilight said aloud, looking over to the bed. It made sense, rainbows...a combination of what occurred with a combining of rain and sun. But would also be affected by the essence stealing from an elemental power. Twilight was convinced now, there was definitely a connection of what happened to Rainbow Dash today, and what happened to the pegasi all those moons ago. "Princess Celestia...Is Rainbow Dash...The Pony of the Elements Raindoom referred to?"

"It is very possible that may be the case." This response sparked a bit of "oohs" and "ahhs" from the Mane Six. It certainly made the situation or more bleak, yet not as much at the same time. The ponies all knew what Rainbow Dash was capable of, but Princess Luna was fair to point out that the rainbow mare wasn't the only one that was capable of feats unknown to them.

"But even if she were, there is certainly no way the young one is strong enough to stop Raindoom all by herself sister. All those Rainbow Ponies tried to stop him so long ago, and there were hundreds of them back then. Now there is only but one, and he is even stronger than before." After a delay, Celestia did recall a possible solution, and why there may be hope to the matter at hoof.

"That may true sister...but there was always believed to be one flaw that became of the spell that was used to create Raindoom." The ponies gathered in. "It was believed that the only way to eliminate elemental weather magic was the same power used against it." The statement was befuddling to say the least. Nopony was really sure what the princess was getting at. She continued though to further her clarification. "In theory, a powerful elemental phenomenon that could be penetrated through it's "heart" would bring Raindoom to an end. And a certain pony in this room has done it once before, an old mare's tale if you will."

The crowd around gasped, even The Princess of the Night realized the importance of this.

"...You mean!?" Princess Twilight put the pieces of the puzzle together.

"A Sonic Rainboom!" Celestia announced. "But long ago, the Sonic Rainboom had never been done. Most believed it was not a real thing. Plus the fractured bond of the rain and sun pegasi weakened the Rainbow Pegasi's power, meaning all who attempted the feat were never able to succeed before their essence was taken away from the storm. Raindoom appeared unstoppable..."

"But...he was stopped. How did you defeat him when no pony could?" Applejack asked to the royals. A sigh came from both Princesses.

"We didn't..."

***

In the battle long ago, the Rainbow Pegasi that remained began to draw the remaining of their power and directed it towards Princess Luna and Celestia. It was a last ditch effort to rid the land of the storm that was created to sabotage the land.

"In a last gasp to assure Equestria's safety, the remaining Rainbow Ponies sacrificed their power to Luna and myself. We garnered all of our magic as well as theirs to blast him as far away from Equestria as we could." Celestia told them, Luna followed. "So much magic in fact, in took us several days before we recovered."

The Princesses had saved the land of Equestria of Raindoom, sending him into the outskirts of space. Soon after, the pegasi responsible for the notorious acts were brought to justice and punished for their actions. It was just a painful reminder of what could happen when Equestria was not filled with harmony. Only now, the fracture of harmony came at a severe cost. The Rainbow Pegasi were feared no more, and the unity between the rain and sun pegasus strained.

By order of the Princesses, the reign of weather pegasi controlling the elements was suspended; they themselves would control the elements of nature until the time was deemed right.

And for moons there after, to honor the remembrance that all pegasi should work together, the code allowed any and all Pegasus that wished to be Weather Ponies the ability to join, to remind them that all pegasi must work together to be strong.

***

Though the tale did bring closure to how the unity of pegasi and Cloudsdale came to be, it no longer served the importance of the present.

"But it seems that over time, Raindoom only absorbed the magic that we used against him as well, just as he did to all the ponies before. It seems he is now immune to our Alicorn Magic, and I fear after blasting him away yourself Twilight, he will soon be immune all the same to your magic as well."

Celestia's words made Twilight look up to her horn in somberness, she didn't understand why Celestia was so conscious about using her magic against Raindoom, but now she did.

"Boy, this Raindoom seems like a real fly in your pudding." Pinkie Pie declared with disgust, and giving a "blah" at the thought of the visual she gave herself.

"Now that Raindoom has returned," Luna started. "...and now appears stronger than ever. I fear there is little we can do to stop him."

The grim reality of the matter across the faces of the two Princesses made the mane group know the seriousness of the power this entity had.

"Raindoom can create Eternal Rainfall, flooding Equestria and destroying our world!" The harsh, stern words from Princess Luna befall them. The visualization of endless rain showed the danger at hand. The flooding of town, city, and all other lands. Without a way to rid Raindoom with any form of magic, what could possibly rid the land of him now?

"But whatever can we do about this?" Rarity asked, speaking what was on everypony's mind. Celestia responded...

"Being impervious to our magic makes ridding Raindoom again seemingly impossible. We now fear there may be only one pony who can vanquish him now."

The direction of where she was speaking made the statement crystal. The one the princess referred to was quite clear.

Princess Twilight answered. "Rainbow Dash?" Receiving a hollowed nod from the other members of royalty.

"Celestia and myself had believed the Ancient Elemental Ponies were all no more. But this would surely explain all your friend's incredible feats over the years." Luna gave with great pride to their friend. "If she could manage to do a Sonic Rainboom when needed, it could finally rid the land of this weathery fiend."

"Great, now who gets to be the lucky pony to break that news?" Applejack pointed out to the crowd, little did they know an answer would come where they didn't expect...

"You don't have to..."

The group turned to see the reply came from the one they were worried about. Rainbow Dash had awoken, trying to adjust the heavy blanket off the top of her to allow herself some mobility. The others quickly rushed over to check and observe Rainbow's well being.

"Uhmmm...how much of that conversation did you catch?" Applejack asked.

"Pretty much everything..." Rainbow replied. Dash almost wished that she didn't hear it however, knowing the danger of this being was bad enough. Now knowing the fact that magic from the Royal Princesses will do no good to help was quite the realization. But how could she do it on her own? This wasn't a problem that the power of friendship alone would fix; it would take courage and strength as well, far more than she had ever displayed. Rainbow had all of those traits too, but would they be enough was the question?

Suddenly, there was a gentle knock on the door to the room the group resided in, and a sweet middle-aged nurse pony emerged inside. Much to her shock that this patient would be seen eight different ponies; three of which being the most powerful Princesses in Equestria. Making her statement a bit awkward.

"Excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt. I was going to say that visiting hours were ending, but I didn't realize we would have so much royalty here. I'll let you have your time if you choose..." The nurse said attempting to make a hasteful exit. But the main princess gave a slight nod.

"It's quite alright, we shall honor the rules of the complex. We have our own personal matters we must discuss. I think it's important that our young mare gets some much needed rest." Celestia announced, and with that the others agreed and began to make their exit giving their love and friendship to Rainbow Dash, who was forced to have stay the night. Pinkie Pie though quickly dashed back in the room to give another quick grasp to her friend.

"Now don't you worry Rainbow Dash, I'll be sure to have a special party when you're out of here. Hmm, just have to decide what to call it; so many options." And with that, soon the group was making their exits.

"Bye everypony..." Rainbow called out to them, which made The Princess of Friendship hold her ground, she looked to see if the others had left. When she realized they had, Twilight quietly walked back in Dash's room and closed the door behind her with her magic. Rainbow could tell something was on Twilight's mind, so she waited for her to get composed.

"Rainbow?" She began placing a hoof on the side of the bed, as Rainbow turned her head to her. "Never got to find out how you were feeling?"

"Like I did a Sonic Rainboom straight into the ground..." Dash began trying to sit up in her bed with limited success. "It felt like I was being ripped apart from the inside out...but, nothing's wrong with me." Both looking at each her wings, both clearly in tact, though a much paler shade of blue as they once were. Rainbow looked over to her friend, hoping that she may have some explanation.

"I can't say I'd seen anything like it." Twilight admitted. "Are you going to be alright?"

Rainbow Dash had hoped that Twilight could a bit more to explain about the events that unfolded. Seemed typical that the one time Rainbow needed to get a long "Twilight Sparkle Lecture", was the one of many moons that had her searching for answers rather than explaining them. Dash sighed aloud realizing that nothing would come of it.

"Yeah, I think so. Maybe some rest would help." Dash responded in a dejected tone, thinking that maybe Twilight would think less of her for admitting that she felt down. But in fact, The princess was the exact opposite. Knowing Rainbow Dash's stubbornness, it was good to see logic being used and understanding that rest was the wise thing to get. She gently smiled as she flew over to a bench next to the bed.

"Well, I'll stay if you need anything." Getting a double take from Dash.

"But I thought visiting hours were over remember?" She answered back to Twilight in confusion.

"Don't forget, I'm royalty too. I was given royal authority to stay if I chose to. Well, I choose to." She smiled, Rainbow returned such gesture as Twilight headed over to the window in the room. "I'll open the windows to get you some fresh air."

Rainbow appreciated the deed, giving a yawn in the process.

"Thanks Twilight. That means a...a lot...I" Rainbow spoke, until she stopped. It perked an ear of the Princess who wasn't looking, using her magic to open to the window.

"What did you say Rainbow? It sounded like..." Twilight stopped once she turned around to she turned around to see the reason. Rainbow had fallen asleep for the events and aftermath made her exhausted. Giving a soft moan on exhales, Twilight slowly came over and floated Rainbow's blanket over her to keep her warm. The feel of the blanket over top Rainbow made her gently snuggle into it, making her friend smile gleeful. "Sleep well Rainbow. Pleasant dreams."

With that, Twilight laid on the bench next to Rainbow Dash and made herself comfortable to for the night. If anything was to make Dash awaken, she would stay there to be sure all was well. Though for the moment all did seem so, the next morning they hoped answers would be found and a plan could be made. Eventually the spell Luna and Celestia created would dissipate, and Equestria needed to be protected. Hopefully to Twilight, she believed a good night's sleep would do that. Unfortunately for her friend, the events of what transpired was only the first step of things to come.