• Published 18th Jun 2021
  • 694 Views, 8 Comments

The End of the Rainbow - JTH



When an elemental phenomenon returns after many millennia, it's discovered that only one pony can rid of it and save the land. But doing so may come at a terrible price...

  • ...
1
 8
 694

Chapter 16

The mood in the guest quarters of Canterlot's Royal Castle was in a state of panic. Both Celestia and Luna arose to their hooves upon being forcefully removed from Rainbow Dash's dream. But the panic truly started when they both realized that Rainbow did not reawaken alongside with them, making Luna suspect of Raindoom's intentions to remove the Princesses from the Dream Realm as part of its scheme. Luna stood over Rainbow's still slumbering body as Celestia stood by in concern. The Princess of the Night was trying desperately to attempt to relink to the dream the pegasus was in, she didn't even have the time to try and bring her sister on this attempt. Time was too valuable to waste any moment. The magic output would have been too great to reestablish with them both, but she had to attempt to get Rainbow Dash out of the Dreamscape; who knew what in Equestria was happening in there.

Unfortunately, despite immense focus all Luna could muster was multiple sparks of magic from her horn. Keeping the Stealth spell afloat proved more difficult using additional magic than the Princesses believed, even with Twilight Sparkle's added magic to aide them. Luna grunted painfully, continuing to gather even an ounce of extra magic. "I am failing to reenter the young one's dream." Luna told her sister with increasing strain.

"Keep trying sister!" Princess Celestia answered in a state of almost plea. The worry would only increase, seeing no emotion on Rainbow's face in her slumber. Only until Luna could find a path back into Dash's dream, they could only hope all was well...

***

Within the Dream Realm, the winds howled and thunder boomed loudly. Below on the surface, Rainbow Dash prepared for an incoming attack that was sure to come from Raindoom. But to Dash's surprise, no attack came. At first she thought it was some kind of trick; a way to let the pegasi's guard down. But the longer the wait, the more surprised Rainbow became. Raindoom remained motionless, staring down at the pegasus from above, with only the sound of continuing wind and thunderous booms. But oddly, no rain. Clearly, Raindoom knew the effects that its magic enhanced rain would do to Rainbow Dash, and yet not a drop of rain did Raindoom summon to befall onto her. But this didn't make any sense to Rainbow Dash. Why trap her within the Dream Realm and then do nothing once you do so? The stale mate between the two lead to a call from the upward.

"I sense some confusion in you young one..." Raindoom called down to the pegasus below, startling her in process. "Does my lack of aggression puzzle you so?"

A question? A conversation? Certainly not what Rainbow Dash predicted before a battle to the bitter end to save all of Equestria from a being of ultimate evil. While Rainbow was a bit hesitant to answer, she knew that her incredible ability of flying and speed would protect her from being caught off guard.

So with a slow step forward...she answered the question poised to her.

"Well...yeah actually." Dash called aloud, slightly stuttering between her words. "Like...why trap in this place and not attack me?"

The look on Raindoom's "face" became broad of confusion.

"Whoever said my plan was to trap you within this realm? And whoever said I planned to attack you?"

"But...you've said you plan to flood our home!" The pegasus claimed with the brash accusation, giving a stomp with her fore hoof. "To destroy Equestria!!"

"It is true I have said that...but that does not answer the question I have asked of you." The moment of awkward silence befell the pegasus. Once it became herself and the entity before her, she fully expected a full on battle to the end. To not even be attacked was beyond anything that may have entered Rainbow's mind. Once an answer was still not given, it was clear from the cloud above that the one whom the question be asked to was confused to what was taking place...

Perhaps more needed to be explained.

"Young filly, I have witnessed what my magical elements would do to your being. I could use them right here and now, and you would be defenseless against my abilities. Yet here I hover, taking no aggressive action towards you. In fact, the only one whom has taken any aggression in this encounter...is yourself."

The accusation towards Rainbow Dash, she found not only disconcerting...but also true. What was going on she wondered? "I don't understand...the Princesses said that..."

Her words were halted by the one above...

"Your Princesses I'm sure have said many a things about my presence...and what they paint myself as." As the statement was finished, the cloud slowly began to gradually reduce in size; not looking nearly as opposing or threatening. "And based on your continuous attacking nature towards myself, it seems you have taken their words to be true."

"But in my dreams...you've attacked me. The wind, the lightning strikes!" Rainbow Dash accused.

"You have been trying to destroy me young one..." Raindoom responded. "Do you not expect me to defend my being...rather than just letting you do it?"

It was a fair point by Raindoom, one that Dash couldn't really defend her actions for. It was a simple act based on the accusations made by her friends, and the royals.

Another question soon followed...

"Do you believe that I am a monster?"

Rainbow Dash didn't need to answer, the look on her face gave an answer that no words could do justice. Though it seemed, to be what the one above expected.

"You are not the only one who feels so..."

Raindoom as before sent another pulse blast. Dash closed her eyes tightly to brace for the attack, but surprisingly after a lengthy delay she reopened her eyes to see that the pulse wasn't an attack at all. What Rainbow did realize was she no longer seemed to be within the starry horizon of the scape, but what appeared to be a location within Equestria...

***

The location continued to change around both Rainbow Dash and Raindoom, who now not only hovered alongside the pegasus, but had morphed his form to where it was now nearly the same size of Dash as well.

Rainbow Dash would keep giving a glance to the side to see if Raindoom was in fact next to her, and it grew an unnerving urge to speak her mind, knowing that her "foe" gazed afloat her. "I have to say. This isn't what I expected based on my other dreams..."

Raindoom was quick to explain the potential reason. "Because you are not having a nightmare...Nightmares are fueled by your fears filly...Without those fears, all that you're experiencing is as it would be in your waking reality."

"Ugh...but I wasn't scared..." Dash's comment was received with a sideward stare from the cloudlike form next to her. It was amazing how easily intimidating a cloud with glowing blue eyes could present, even when not acting in a hostile manner. "Okay, maybe a little scared..." Changing her tone quickly.

The rainbow pegasus slowly paced forward looking at the surroundings continued to change around her, beginning to take new forms that looked eerily familiar. She recognized the location quickly, even if it looked far different as Rainbow always saw it as.

Cloudsdale...but from the looks and appearances around, long ago in the past. The visual images of pegasi flying around was a sight to see. They looked so much different to present day. "When is this?" Dash asked aloud, leading the cloud entity to float alongside once more.

"Approximately three thousand years ago..." Raindoom's response was followed by a voiceless "Wow" from Rainbow, though saying aloud wasn't necessary for her face told enough to her reaction. "Your world was much different then, yet there are some things that make them very similar..."

Straight ahead of the two, was a slew of pegasi. Their outfits they wore made Rainbow suspect that these were some of the assigned Rain Ponies that she learned of. But these weren't just any Rain Ponies, by the looks and demeanor of Raindoom, Rainbow Dash realized that these ponies were...the creators of Raindoom. Confusion followed though, for these ponies didn't seem the evil and vile, soulless ponies Rainbow took them to be, nor how they were protrayed to her by what she had heard before. Furthermore to Dash, the other pegasi around these "creators", they seemed to be embracing them...almost consoling them...

...Forgiving them even.

In fact, more and more pegasi came to give grievance and sorrow to these Rain Ponies. It actually made Dash smile knowing that these ponies could be accepted even after their actions. It showed perhaps what friendship could do. Rainbow's smile was to turned to a frown after a begrudged voice spoke next to her.

"But pity that sorrow wasn't given to everyone..."

In the image the two observed, a rumbling of thunder was heard and quickly the sky began to fill with a dark cloud coverage. Rainbow then saw what had caused it, the presence of Raindoom from the past which began to emit a heavy downpour onto Cloudsdale and the rest of Equestria. All the elemental pegasi caught in the rain began to collapse, as their energy was being sapped from them...just like had happened to Rainbow Dash mere days ago. Images of concerned ponies towards their fallen friends looked to the skies above, showing anger and distaste towards the source of the magical rain.

"While my creators were forgiven and loved once more with open hooves...their creation was treated with fear and anger..."

Pegasi by the hundreds tried to stop and steer away the storm cloud, but they had no knowledge of how. Dash then saw the fleets of Rainbow Pegasi who bolted into the sky to fight Raindoom as well, but one by one the same fate awaited those brave ponies all the same. With every fallen pegasi, the distain grew even more for the dark cloud above. Rainbow was realizing that the intent of hurting the weather ponies around her was non-existent, but whatever the magical elements possessed within Raindoom seemed uncontrollable.

It appeared there was nothing that Raindoom could do, only continue to emit rainfall as it was created to do so. It was getting harder for Rainbow Dash to watch the devastation around her, even it was from many millenia ago. Seeing so many weather ponies caught in the elements, only making Raindoom stronger.

Then with Raindoom's present self still alongside her, she saw the final stand from so long ago. Seeing all the Rainbow Pegasi giving their combined strength and power to the Princesses that Dash knew to today, strengthening them with the combined magic of all the Rainbow Pegasi to blast the weather fiend away into the outskirts of space, hoping to never be seen again...

While Raindoom was defeated, it came at an unfortunate price. The slews of Rainbow Pegasi lay unmoving before Rainbow Dash to witness...

The Rainbow Pegasi...were no more.

Dash realized what made her so special to many ponies, including the Princesses. She really was part a special breed of ponies feared gone many moons ago.

The image of all the pain and sadness soon after faded away, Dash slumped her head down as Raindoom slowly hovered over top, casting a shadow upon her.

"I could only wish you knew what it is like to be created to do only one purpose for your entire existence, and to be hated and loathed for that purpose. One which you had no ability to choose or change..."

Rainbow Dash found the last statement to be a fallacy. And she knew that couldn't be true in the slightest. "What do you mean you can't change? Or choose? You said could have attacked me, but you didn't..."

"Because I was NOT created to hurt any creature...Don't you understand?" As what seemed to have become normal during this encounter, Rainbow was at a loss of words. Having no words to say though proved to be a positive at times...for it allowed one to listen to the words be spoken, rather than thinking of words to speak. "I was created to destroy Equestria, to turn this land to a watery ruin... and I CAN NOT CHANGE THAT!" The rumble in the air this time came from the words of Raindoom, rather than the distance bang of thunder or lightning. But its words became calm once more for the final remark. "...And neither can you."

The cloud began to rise higher into the horizon as Dash remained on the ground. The pegasus grew a face of determination. While she did gain some remorse for Raindoom, it didn't eliminate the reality that so many ponies were counting on her...even if it meant doing the one thing she began to think she couldn't do...

"It doesn't mean I won't try..." Dash called out. The remark made the entity above pause, and began to spin around to direct to her once more.

"Do not try to fight me young one. Doing so is what lead your rainbow breatharian to a state of obscurity."

Despite all that had transpired between Rainbow Dash and Raindoom, the cloud still appeared very stern with its warning, perhaps even as far to say threat to the pegasus.

"I have told you young one to not intervene, to stop fighting and resisting what I must do. I do not wish to bring harm to you, but deep down you know that you cannot do what your friends and Princesses expect of you. You must NOT FIGHT!!!"


"I can't do that Raindoom..." Rainbow Dash closed her eyes tightly, in an attempt to muster the courage to say what she believed had to be said. "You told me you were created to not hurt any creature, but by destroying our home...you'll hurt so many ponies in a way you could never understand. I can't let you destroy Equestria......I have to stop you!"

From the heights above, Raindoom could only look down at Rainbow Dash, she was breathing so heavy through her nose you could almost see a steamy mist come from her snout. Looking into her eyes, Raindoom knew the words spoken she believed. And while all those moons ago, no pony felt sorrow for Raindoom...it couldn't help begin to feel that way for the rainbow pegasus below. Knowing that she would never quit, and that commitment of ultimate determination could come at a price...a price that no amount of bits could afford or fix. The being could be see from far below closing its eyes, before speaking once more... "Believe me young one, I do understand. And I expected you to say as much. So it seems now there is no point to continue this..."

Everything surrounding the pegasus began to rumble. Upon looking around, all that she could see began to disappear and turn black, causing her to worry.

"What's going on? What are you doing!?" She spoke, demanding an answer.

As the Dreamscape began to deteriorate, the being spoke.

"Once I leave this realm, you are free to awaken. But know this young pegasi...I can only hope for your sake that once you return to the Waking Realm, you realize there is no light at the end of the path you are choosing to take..."

Those words were the last thing Rainbow heard. Soon after, the entity that was Raindoom disappeared into thin air...then all was black in a snap.

***

Princess Luna continued to make every effort to retap into Rainbow Dash's dream, but all attempts proved unsuccessful. But suddenly, the princesses were shocked to see that the pegasi's eyes opened and the mare soon after sat up to her flank. Surprising in Rainbow showed no signs of franticness or peril; in fact she showed nearly the same emotionless expression now awake as she did while slumbering.

"By the stars, you are alright." Luna sighed and said with a sense of relief. "My sister and I truly feared the worst." The Princess of the Night's words seemed to fall on deaf ears. Rainbow Dash soon slowly plopped off her resting area and with equal undashing speed walked over to the giant window before them, looking out to the greyscale sky.

"Young one?" Celestia called to the pegasus, still getting no acknowledgement of their speech. "Is everything alright?"

Rainbow Dash stared out the window, partly seeing her reflection, but the pegasus stared out to the horizon of the sky...knowing full well what was out there waiting for her.

"I learned something from Raindoom tonight..." Dash stated in a monotone voice, continuing to stare out the window in front of her, seeing her frown cascading off the glass, remembering what she heard and witnessed. "Raindoom doesn't want to hurt anypony..." She declared and then gave a gulp before finishing. "But it won't stop until it finishes what it was created to do..."

"But how can you be so sure that is the truth?" Princess Luna asked the pegasus.

"Because Raindoom never attacked me...He spoke of the past, and all that had happened." Rainbow responded, which surprised the Princesses. Certainly they both believed that an intense struggle would have occurred once Rainbow Dash and Raindoom were left unopposed within the Dream Realm. "But Raindoom told me what it has to do...and what I'll have to do to stop it..."

"Which is?" Princess Celestia softly spoke. Rainbow Dash pondered whether to say the truth...but rather turned to the royals and told them what needed to be done. The final plan of action.

"In twelve hours, I want you both to come to Ponyville, and when you do...I want you to end the spell..."

Luna and Celestia looked to one another with a look of uncertainty. But even if what they heard seemed shocking to believe, they chose to honor the request given to them. The two turned to Dash with a look of confidence.

"We will do what you ask of us." Luna confirmed with an assuring look.

"What do you plan to do until then Rainbow Dash?" Celestia followed up. Dash after staring out one final time to the sky, now knowing full well what the future held, Dash turned and answered.

"I'm going back to Ponyville...if tomorrow is the end, I'm going to spend it with my friends..."