• Published 18th Jun 2021
  • 691 Views, 8 Comments

The End of the Rainbow - JTH



When an elemental phenomenon returns after many millennia, it's discovered that only one pony can rid of it and save the land. But doing so may come at a terrible price...

  • ...
1
 8
 691

Chapter 1

The sun rises high to warm the wonderful land of Equestria once more. For the magical world of Ponyville, and all it's neighboring lands, it looked that the day would bring joy and happiness to all.

The cottage of Fluttershy's was full of life with all the loving animals and creatures around; certainly something that was worth singing about.

Fluttershy:
The sun is shining, the animals sing!
I'm so excited what this morning will bring.
This day will be so wonderful, that I guarantee!
Because I'm happy, it's what I'm meant to be!

(Fluttershy wasn't the only one in high spirits...Meanwhile at Sugar Cube Corner, plenty of tasty treats were being made, with a random firing of a Party Cannon...)

Pinkie Pie:
I've made a chocolate cake, and a brownie or two.
I feel pretty giddy to make them for all of you. (Points to your screen)
And after this, I'll make another hundred or three,
Because I'm happy, it's what I'm meant to be!

(With another fire of her Party Cannon, confetti falls endlessly. Meanwhile at Sweet Apple Acres, another morning of chores began on the farm. As the pony of honestly began her morning bucking routine.)

Applejack:
Bucking apples all day, can be really tough.
But one thing brightens my day when I'm feelin' glum and rough.
Just spendin' R&R with my friends and family,
Makes me happy, that's what I'm meant to be!

(Hoof Stomps x3 As the three ponies are now traversing through Ponyville)

Chorus:
When you're happy,
You can light up a town
Spreading joy and cheer to everypony around!
With friendship like this, it's so easy to see,
That we're happy, it's what we're meant to be!

Yes, the friendship and magic connected to it was at an ultimate high in Ponyville, which would trickle to all the other neighboring locations that made up the magical land of Equestria. Meanwhile, the Princess of Friendship who made all this possible was in a joyest mood as well writing on scrolls, and by the abundant amount next to her, was an objective she had been doing for some time and planned to continue for even more after; bobbing her head back and forth.

Twilight Sparkle:
I'm practicing a brand new spell to cure "The Speckle Flu".
Some ponies think it's boring, but I think it's fun to do.
And after this I think I'll plan my Royal Decree,
Because I'm happy, it's what I'm meant to be!

(A glow from her Alicorn horn engulfed the room she had been, shining bright like a diamond. Speaking of diamonds, a certain pony of generosity was in nearby Rarity's Boutique, floating over the latest additions to her bedazzling new line of outfits to sell.)

Rarity:
This gown is made of white wool, and this one's made of lace.
My heart shines like a diamond, to see a smiling face.
These outfits are perfection, no question to me!
Because I'm happy, it's what I'm meant to be!

(Finishing her work, she leaves the boutique to meet her friend Twilight outside, who are both planning to meet their other friends.)

(Hoof Stomp x3)

Chorus (Rarity and Twilight):
When we're happy,
We can light up a town
Spreading joy and cheer to everypony around!
(As the two ponies meet the other three singing Mane Six members, trotting down the street with glee.)
With friendship like this, it's so easy to see,
That we're happy, it's what we're meant to be!

(Hoof Stomp x7)

We can say, today
Will always go our way!
So magically and perfect
As our friendship grows more,
And we're sure, we know
Tomorrow's gonna go
As happy and hoof-tapping as the day before!

The five ponies were waiting for one more to join. One who was fashionably late as usual, even though said pony would say that they didn't care for fashion. She was quite a distance away from Ponyville as well in a cloud like paradise home near the floating land of Cloudsdale. The Pegasus pony seemed to be reading yet another Daring Do book. The latest one in the series "Daring Do and The Rainbow Crystals". Figuratively glued to it as the adventure of the character she looked up to so much was too hard to put down. After finishing the final page of the book, she slammed it shut with satisfaction, pumping her hooves, but realizing she had lost track of time and she needed to get going to meet up with her friends.

Yep, that was everypony's favorite rainbowed mare alright, Rainbow Dash. The distance it took to get to Ponyville would be a time consuming journey...for anypony other than Rainbow Dash of course. She carried her Daring Do book to put away and gave her pet tortoise Tank a noogie while soaring by.

Rainbow Dash:
I've read this Daring-Do book for the two-hundredth time!
I know it in my head just like a really rockin' rhyme.
But now my friends are waiting for me, so it's time to go
To light the sunny skies, like a dazzling rainbow!

(As she takes off wings spread at lightning speed)

This day will be so awesome, as I fly through the sky!
Having tons of fun with my fellow Pegasi
Just Soarin' through the clouds, and feeling so free!
Makes me happy, that's what I'm meant to be!

(Dash then makes a Sonic Rainboom and takes off even faster than before, while also making her awaiting company know that she was on her way and coming in hot. After a couple of seconds, she landed next to all her friends and pranced along with the others.)

Chorus:
When we're happy,
We can light up a town
As long as we're together, we will never feel down.
With friendship like this, it's so easy to see,
That we'll be friends forever, together you and me!

(The Mane Six prance side by side)

Fluttershy: This morning's so wonderful!
Pinkie: This day is so sweet!
Applejack: It's flowing smooth like cider!
Twilight: This day cannot be beat!
Rarity: This day is so charming!
Rainbow Dash: Awesome as can be!

(Hoof Stomp x7)

All Mane Six:
Because we're happy,
We're really happy!
It's what we're meant TO BE!

Yes, indeed the love and friendship in Ponyville continued to grow and created a magic that looked to protect all of Equestria. It appeared that as long as hope continued to fill the land, that pony and all kind would bring harmony to all.

...But wherever light resides, darkness would never be far behind. Someponies even believed that a brighter light would only bring a more evil, deeper darkness. For far away from the land, too far away from eye's view, a dark shadowy figure began to slowly approach Equestria.

But this wasn't any mere dark figure, it was a darkness...an evil that had believed to be gone for millennia. As it neared closer, it brought a smile to it's "face".

"At long last I have waited...and now, I will bring an end to Equestria!" Giving off an internal laugh, knowing that for when it arrived it would bring DOOM to all hope, love, and friendship.

***

Meanwhile in Canterlot, it had become quite the normal go for all it's citizens. All pony folk going about their days doing all the things all respected ponies enjoyed. More importantly though, it was the location of the most royal of royal in all of Equestria. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, the royal sisters of day and night.

The Princess went about her rigorous routine day in and day out to keep lands happy, not just for ponies. Meanwhile, per usual her sister would take the opportunity of the day to rest to prepare for another straining night of patrolling the realm of dreams. Very few knew or understood how Luna managed to undergo the tiring efforts every night the moon rose to make sure every pony in the land would have a soothing slumber. One certain thing was a good rest during the day would be nothing but positive.

And this day had gone like most others, The Princess of the Night napped peacefully in her own location away from any disturbance...when suddenly, she heard a dark rumbling voice. It was a sinister laughter that bellowed loudly, making her shoot her head up and gaze around the room she was in.

"Wh-Who's there? Show yourself!" She called out loudly. Though when she observed, no pony was there. As there shouldn't be, no pony knew of this location other than herself and her sister. And within the darkness of the halls she looked back and forth upon, it certainly seemed to still be that way. But she knew what she heard; there was no way her mind would be playing tricks on her, unless the dread of an upcoming duty of dream wondering was making her worry.

Luna took a deep breath and nestled back in position to resume slumber. But as soon as she closed her eyes...

*CRACK* *CLAP* *CRACK*

She jolted up upon hearing the noise, breathing heavily in a fear of panic. It sounded like intense thunder and lightning, but it was most peculiar. It noises sounded it came from within her thoughts, or her dreams perhaps.

But how was that possible? No pony knew how to travel the astral plane of the Dream Realm other than herself. The occurrences continued though...

Every time Luna closed her eyes to calm herself, another sharper image and noise came forth. Darkness, laughter, lightning, thunder, destruction.

Luna began to worry for it appeared she knew what was going on. Why, she wasn't certain still, but she knew that her own personal matters of slumber were now a thing of the past. She left her location of once peaceful asylum to head to the castle, where she had to warm Celestia that something was coming...

Something they both had hoped to never see again.