• Published 18th Jun 2021
  • 694 Views, 8 Comments

The End of the Rainbow - JTH



When an elemental phenomenon returns after many millennia, it's discovered that only one pony can rid of it and save the land. But doing so may come at a terrible price...

  • ...
1
 8
 694

Chapter 6

After a lengthy period of Rainbow Dash being pushed by the rump forcefully, she finally just gave in and walked alongside Applejack to the farm. She kept asking AJ about what exactly they were going to do, but Applejack in typical fashion gave some standard "wait and see" responses followed by a chuckle and snort. So not a word was going to come out of that farmer's mouth, or at least nothing noteworthy that was going to be of any interest to Rainbow Dash.

Soon afterwards, the two had finally arrived. The other members of the Apple family were on hoof as well, along with two monstrous looking wooden contraptions. To the eye, they appeared to be giant tubs, like what the apples' would use to squish and mash fruit inside to make their seasonal jellies and jams. But it wasn't anywhere near season for said jams, plus what would they need Dash for if it was? They had never needed her help with it before, so Dash's curiosity grew to a bit of nervousness.

"Uh...what are those for?" Dash spoke up finally, as the last nails were being hammered in to finish the project.

"Well, they're giant water tubs Rainbow." AJ answered, walking over to one of the giant tubs. Tapping on the side of it while continuing on. "The water is right out of our own well, so there ain't no freaky magic rain water in any of these. Now these tub is full of hot water, it'll make ya bake faster than an apple pie." The words being spoke made Dash tense up, just the word "water" was freaking her out on the inside, but Applejack proceeding to the other one without catching Dash's demeanor. "...And this one is full of cold water, this'll make ya freeze faster than a uh...frozen apple pie." Applejack finished with a big ole' grin, hoping she did enough to sell the concept, but Rainbow Dash knew that one big element was being left out of this.

"Okay...what does that have to do with me AJ?" Trying to hide the shakiness in her voice. Applejack answered back.

"Well, after your little freak out today, I felt you needed to get reacquainted with water. And since this is own water supply, you should be completely fine. So why don't ya test'em out?"

Dash was starting to get antsy. She felt like she was being put on the spot by her friend's family. She had to come up with something to get her out of this. What if something did go wrong? How could Applejack be certain she would be fine? She knew Applejack wouldn't lie, but Dash also knew that she couldn't possibly know for sure. Rainbow had to come up with an excuse, a believable one.

"I actually can't AJ...the doctors told me not to fly around." She spoke, while not entirely true, it was still recommended she stay on her hooves. So...an honest lie, or lying truth, ...or something of the such. Her stuttering on her words, she slowing starting to back away. "Gotta save my strength, ya know? So...I think I'm gonna split...like an apple pie."

But before she could even turn around, Applejack grabbed her by the tail. And with that earth pony's strength, Dash knew she wasn't going anywhere. AJ laughed aloud at what she heard.

"Split like an apple pie? Oh Dash, that doesn't even make sense." She followed up, while Dash had an annoyed look on her face, with the Earth Pony's sheer strength keeping her able to escape. "Right..." Rainbow groaned. "Because that's what I need to work on...better apple pie puns."

The pony of honesty started leading Dash back over to one of the tubs. "Now don't you worry. If you can't fly, I'll just give ya a boost."

"I really don't think that's..." But before Dash could finish, a big apple worthy buck sent her into the air. Shortly after, Dash landed smack dab in the middle of the freezing water tub.

Soon then, the tub almost seemed to start shaking, and then, Rainbow shot out of the water like a cannon with a very loud yelp. Uncontrolled, she did an mid-air front tumble, careening towards the other tub with now the hot water below her view. Dash's athleticism allowed her to grab onto the side of the wood planks, keeping her from falling. "Too cold!" She yelled out, shivering out her words.

She wanted to fly so bad, but she knew she couldn't and shouldn't. Unfortunately, her wet hooves were making her lose her grip in the plank she held, and quickly Rainbow slipped off the side and into the tub of hot water. Even quicker than before, she blasted out like a volcano. Screaming... "It's too hot!" in air. She began to fall once more, back into the cold water tub, proceeding in a recycle of events. Back and forth from one tub to the other, as the apple's belong looked on continuing to question this "plan" "My wings! My tush! MY EVERYTHING!!!" Rainbow Dash continued on in the air.

"Uh...do ya'll reckon this is workin'?" Applejack asked her family next to her. Only getting a...

"Nope..." Her brother Big Mac spoke.

"Oh good, so it isn't just me..." Little Apple Bloom finished all their thoughts. After a continued series of hot and cold dips, Dash shot out at an angle that heading to the ground below, allowing AJ to help out.

"Don't worry Dash! I got ya!"

With a solid jump, Applejack caught her friend and landed safely to the ground below.

Upon glance, Rainbow Dash showed no signs of ill effect. Her colorful tones still looked bright and elegant, proving that it was only the rain from the magic entity that had caused Rainbow's problem, but that was far from her mind at the moment. Applejack offered a hoof to help her friend up, but Rainbow swatted it away, and stood up to face her. Dash was totally soaked from head to hoof, water dripping like a waterfall off her mane and brow.

"What was that all about!?!" She yelled out. Applejack put on the spot, knew she was in big trouble now.

"Boy howdy, look at the time. I think it's apple pickin' time. Uh, catch ya later Dash!" Applejack bolted to the barn.

"Eyup!" Big Mac responded also, running after AJ with Apple Bloom under his arm. Before Dash could even gather what had happened moments ago, the Apple's ran inside the barnhouse and quickly closed the door behind.

"Hey!!!" Dash spoke out again, sprinting to the door to open it, only to find it was locked shut. She pulled and pulled as hard she could to try and yank it open. "You dragged my flank out here for this!? APPLEJACK! You apples' get out here! YOU HEAR ME!?!" Banging on the door repeatedly, if anything to let the present company know that she wasn't leaving anytime soon.

Rainbow tried and tried to get answers, but none were coming. She could only hope this friendship trial and error would not a sign of things that would put a damper on her day...

***

So after her Sweet Apple Acres misadventure, Dash began to slowly stroll back to Ponyville. She still had no idea what had gotten into the Apples to have such an unrationed thought. At least the slow walk allowed her to cool off. The water Dash was drenched in still made her completely soaked, and every dozen or so steps she would try to shake off any more excess from her mane and coat.

"Well, that certainly...happened." Rainbow muttered under her breath. "It'll take forever for me to dry off..."

Her sentence was stopped by the voice of another friend. "Well if you'd like to stay dry, I have just the thing Rainbow Dash."

It was Rarity, looking quite happy to see her friend. But judging by how "happy" Applejack was to see her earlier, she couldn't help to think she may be better off trying to make a quick exit.

Dash began to protest. "Actually I..."

"Great, I knew you'd love to." Rarity stopped her mid sentence and used her magic to lift Rainbow up in the air, making RD unable to move. Rarity began to prance back to her Boutique with Rainbow in tow. Dash tried to say something, but the magic kept her from being able to speak. So now, like before, Rainbow Dash was it would seem at the mercy of whatever this friend was up to.

***

In the boutique, Rarity was in one of her zones on clothing ensemble presentations. For Rainbow Dash, this was a bad thing, as she was now the innocent victim of being hoof picked to try on. At least, on the plus side, Rarity gave Dash a complete hair blow dry; so at least she wasn't sopping wet any more. On the negative side...

Everything else...


"No, the green just doesn't pop." Rarity blurted out at another failed idea.

"The blue blends in too much. No, that won't do." Uttered again after another gown with far from desired results.

"Or that, or that, no no no no no." She continued on, tossing aside more and more gowns and dresses that just didn't suit what she was looking for. When she turned around, her friend Rainbow Dash was gone, all there was being a mountain of dresses on the crystal clear floor. "Good heavens Rainbow Dash, wherever did you go?"

Shortly after asking, Rarity heard a very muffled sound under the gown pile, which then was followed by the rainbow pony barely under to crawl out to clear sight.

"Gracious darling, you can't try all on at once." Rarity said with a giggle, which Rainbow Dash responded with an eye roll once Rarity turned around. "Now. Onto the headwear!"

The comment made Rainbow bolt up and shoot for the door.

"You know, I just realized I think I left the stove on. I-I need to go." Dash stated opening the door to run out. Rarity tried to interject.

"But you haven't tried everything on Dashie. We still have goulashes, sweaters, skirts..." But that was all Dash wanted to hear.

"Sorry, can't hear you! BYE!!!"

Dash then slammed the door leaving Rarity by herself, with nothing all the outfits that had been tried on. Rarity scoffed at her friend's hasty exit. "Pfft...how rude..." Who then proceeded to magic all her gowns back where she retrieved them.

***

Dash walked through the backskirts of Ponyville once more. Only this time was slightly more tired, and a whole lot more irritated. Like, Rainbow appreciated the time her friends chose to spend with her, but this was becoming ridiculous.

"Ahhh...what is with everypony today?" She said aloud, trying to stretch out her hooves and wings. "What's with all these surprises?"

Just then came yet another familiar voice...

"Did somepony say "surprise"?"

Rainbow's eye shot wide as she heard the voice from behind. That could only be one pony. "Oh no...no no no no NO NO!!!"

Rainbow quickly turned around to see the barrel of a patient Pinkie Pie Party Cannon aimed right for the face. She only heard one word that followed.

"Surprise!!!"

*PEYU*

Dash quickly blew off and ruffled the confetti out of her mane, giving a slight sigh of relief. Frankly, it wasn't nearly as over the top as she feared it would.

"Well...at least I saw that surprise coming..." She said, eyes closed so she could finish wiping the last bit of colored paper from her face.

"Oh that wasn't the surprise silly..." Pinkie Pie giggled in anticipation.

"Really? What could the surprise possibly..."

Upon opening her eyes, Dash was suddenly surrounded by a whole army of party cannons, as far as the eye could see... "...Oh no..."

*PEYU*

*PEYU PEYU PEYU*

*KABOOM*

The blasts were so high and loud, they could have been seen and heard from the Ponyville town limits. And then in the aftermath, a monstrous pile of confetti sat in the location that all the cannons were fired...the exact spot where Rainbow Dash once stood.

*PEYU*

Went off another cannon for good measure...or perhaps bad measures depending on whom you'd asked.

"WOW! Was that a surprise or what?" Pinkie bounced over to the confetti tower with a big grin. But no answer came, confusing Pinkie slightly. But then she understood. "Okay...maybe that was twenty-seven too many? ....or, maybe I should've done more. What do you think Rainbow Dash..."

But again, there was no response that came, not a murmur, muffle, or even the faintest hint of a sound. "Rainbow Dash? Rainbow Dash? All you in there?" Pinkie stuck her head into the huge pile, hoping to find her friend.

Little did Pinkie Pie know, that Rainbow began crawling out of the pile, trying to get away. But covered herself up with confetti when Pinkie approached this new smaller pile.

"Hey there little pile of confetti, have you seen my friend Rainbow Dash?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"Uh sure, she went...that way!" The confetti covered Rainbow Dash replied, pointing her blue hoof the opposite direction.

There was a long pause after the statement, which was followed by a big smile from the party pony.

"Great!" She cheered and began to hop away happily, helping Dash make a quick getaway.

After a few moments, Pinkie stopped in her hooftracks. "Hey, wait a minute..." Saying in a voice of suspension, rubbing her hoof under her chin. "I forgot to say "Thank you"." Following up with a squee. But turning around, she found that the colored paper pile she just spoke to was flatter than a haycake. Pinkie shrugged her shoulders and quickly blurted out. "Oh well, I'll just have to say thank you to that confetti pile that ironically sounded just like Rainbow Dash later...La La La La La La!"

And with that Pinkie, hopped off to continue looking for her friend.

***
Needless to say, Rainbow Dash was growing quite tired of the repeat cycle that was commencing throughout her day. Sure, she had great friends that wanted to spend time with her. Did that explain the extreme levels they were going...well, no not really. One thing after another, leading to bizarre events leading to Rainbow trying to escape her friends hoof clutches, that and she still hadn't found Twilight. She couldn't possibly fathom what more could happen.

"At least I don't have to worry about anymore surprises..." She said trying to catch her breath.

"Oh Rainbow Dash. I'm so glad to see you."

Rainbow recognized the voice. Yet another friend, but...this one was the calm, sweet voice of a friend she had yet to see in her current trials. "Oh Fluttershy. I'm actually glad to see you too. Everypony's been acting SO weird today."

"Oh, that's a shame." Fluttershy spoke softly, which actually made Dash relieved. "I know that things have been hard for you. But don't worry, I have something that will cheer you up."

Fluttershy's remark perked Rainbow's interest. Giving a huge exhale of relief. "Phew, at least it's not another surprise..." She said so it couldn't be heard.

But...

"It's a surprise." Fluttershy cheerfully spoke.

Dash's eye shot open and her stare went blank...

"...NOOOOOO!!!" Dash sprinted away in horror leaving her friend in a cloud of dust. Fluttershy hacked and coughed until the dust settled, and when it did, she gazed around to find no sign of Rainbow Dash anywhere.

Poor Fluttershy was very confused by these actions."...And she says we're acting weird?" She stated with a bit of annoyance.

***
This day had felt like a new low. Rainbow Dash's friends left and right were planning one thing after another, with still no reason in her mind. An entire day of running and trying to escape multiple situations had taken it's toll on even the most fit of a pony. Dash sat down, panting heavily, and her mind clouded.

"Oh horse feathers! What can possibly go wrong now..." Upon saying her words, Dash noticed the shadow figure of a pony approaching in front of her. Rainbow could see the figure of the shadow on the ground, and immediately noticed the horn and wings. She moaned in moral defeat. "Oh no, not you too."

Dash looked up and to see her final friend. Princess Twilight, who as the others looked eager to speak with her friend. But the introduction wasn't quite the hello she was hoping for.

"Oh come on Rainbow, you don't even know what I want to do yet." The princess whined out. But Dash, to the point made herself clear.

"With everything that's happened to me today, it's probably for the better that I don't." Dash then turned around and slowly paced away. Twilight wanted to make her reconsider, but she knew it wasn't her place. She had to respect Rainbow's wish, so Twilight turned about and headed back to her home back at the palace.

Rainbow Dash was nearly out of sight, when common sense struck her in the face. You had just found the pony you had been looking for all day, and now you decide to just leave? YOU DUMMY! Dash stopped in her tracks instantly.

"Wait...what am I doing!?"

And with that, Rainbow quickly turned around and sprinted back to the castle to follow the Princess. Whatever Twilight may have planned, it may help both of them gather an idea to help defeat Raindoom.

***
Finally, after many hours...many long, pain-staking hours, Rainbow Dash was where she wanted to be, with the pony she had been seeking to find since the day's start. In the endless confines of Twilight's library, the princess was randomly walking around while reading and analyzing her books one after another. Once she finished the part of one, would put it aside and then float over another to gaze into the next. Rainbow Dash, as patiently as she could stood by waiting for her friend to finish, staring around in a daydream in the meantime. She swore the library looked like it got bigger every time she laid hoof in it. Dash's dreaming was broken by the slam of the book Twilight read shut, but it only led to the reading of the next book on her ever growing stack. The rainbow mare as you'd expect had grown a touch impatient.

"So...reading books. I'm not getting any awesome vibe here." The monotoned Dash mocked out. For unless the book had "Daring Do" on the cover...nope, instantly the mare'd be bored. Twilight understood Rainbow's growing impatientness, so she tried to explain the objective at hand.

"Well, I could give a really boring Princess answer, but time is of the essence, so the long of the short is, I'm trying to create a magic spell that may potentially help you against Raindoom."

Upon further looks, Dash could see that the books being read were all different variants of spell books. Some were easy to observe the text, others must have been written in Old Ponish for Dash couldn't make out half the words on the cover. It was interesting that Twilight would attempt spells to help, but Rainbow remembered the speech the royals had discussed back at the hospital.

"But I thought the Princesses said magic wouldn't work Twilight..." She questioned. Twilight then turned to approach after finishing another spell, bringing the total to near a dozen.

"While a direct spell on Raindoom itself may not work, that doesn't mean we may not be able to use our magic to aide another pony."

Rainbow heard what was spoken, but she still couldn't believe what had been said. After taking in, it hit her.

"Wait, another pony?" Dash questioned, backing up a bit. "So you're planning to cast a spell on me?" Came the direct approach, almost coming off like an interrogation tactic, but the Princess was to the point.

"More or less." She shrugged. Dash couldn't even believe the response given.

"Well that was awkwardly honest." Dash bluntly proposed. Twilight put the final spell book aside and explained her rather bizarre proposal.

"If I can find a way to enhance your flying velocity and capabilities, it should make it easier for you to successfully make a Sonic Rainboom." An intriguing idea to say the least. Rainbow Dash over the years had become much stronger from her early years, allowing her to be able to perform Sonic Rainbooms almost at will.

But if the dilemma that occurred once before with Raindoom happened again, completing the task wouldn't be the piece of cake from days past. However, the countless amount of books her friend had been reading made Dash wonder if this was as cut and dry as just doing a mere spell.

"Huh, so if it's that simple, why haven't we ever heard of a spell like this?" Dash carried on the questioning.

"That's the thing, there isn't exactly a real spell for this." Twilight responded, who then floated over a couple of thee previous read spell books to look over once more. "I'm going to try and combine several spells together and conjure up one."

"Wait, y-you don't even know if this'll work?" A aghast Rainbow Dash spoke.

"Well...not exactly." She put out. Rainbow started looking around second guessing the visit, but Twilight Sparkle was quick to calm the mood. "I'll only go through with this if you're comfortable with it, but it's not like we have anything to lose?"

"Well "We" don't have to lose anything." Dash mocked, poking at Twilight's chest. "Me on the other hoof, I could lose a lot of stuff: My head, hooves, wings, everything else blah blah blah..."

Twilight waited though, she gave her word. She wouldn't do it unless Dash okayed it. Rainbow saw the look of Twilight's face. Based on the situation, they didn't have many options, and if anypony could pull off a spell like this Dash trusted that Twilight could.

So Rainbow Dash closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and exhaled. Then reopened her eyes to look at her determined demeanor of her friend before her. "Alright Twilight, do it..."