• Published 18th Jun 2021
  • 694 Views, 8 Comments

The End of the Rainbow - JTH



When an elemental phenomenon returns after many millennia, it's discovered that only one pony can rid of it and save the land. But doing so may come at a terrible price...

  • ...
1
 8
 694

Chapter 13

Rainbow Dash accompanied Princess Twilight around Ponyville to get a glimpse on how preparations were being made for any potential disturbances, from either Raindoom or any other problems. Everything looked ready to go, but no one was around to confirm anything in pony. Once everything seemed well, the two ponies began to track their way towards Sugarcube Corner. Twilight had informed Pinkie Pie earlier of putting together a party for Rainbow as she requested, and as Pinkie most certainly wanted. Since it had been more than a minute, they expected Pinkie to have everything fully prepared ready for a gathering with their friends.

"Twilight, are you sure Pinkie is throwing a little party?" Dash asked her friend clearly seeing the abundant empty homes around town. "I'm not sure "Little Party" is even in her vocabulary..."

Twilight Sparkle though assured her friend that all would be fine. "I told Pinkie a little party, and that's what I'm sure she'll make for you. Trust me Rainbow Dash..." As she began to open the door to Sugarcube Corner. "You have nothing to worry about..."

*PEYU*

A loud cheer from ponies all around came from inside the room upon the blast of Pinkie Pie's Party Cannon, with streamers, banners, and confetti galore. "SURPRISE!!!" Came the yell of the Party Pony who looked to have everypony in Ponyville crammed inside. "I told our friends about the party so I decided to invite a few more...and more...and more and more and more and more!" Pointing hooves at everypony she could see followed by a squee grin with a bunch of hoof waving ponies.

"So...can I worry now Twilight?" Dash whispered to the Princess while giving a hoof palm, Twilight gave a sarcastic chuckle with an even more sarcastic grin. "One second..." Twilight muttered and shortly after used her magic to quickly teleport over to Pinkie Pie who held up in her hoof a giant slice of dessert.

"So who wants a jumbo slice of cake!?" Hollered Pinkie Pie, directing the snack to a small Featherweight, a common like guest of the party. But just before the young colt could retrieve it...

*PLOOP*

"Pinkie!!!" Twilight appeared, grabbing the party pony by the hoof and just as fast...

*PLOOP*

Both ponies disappeared, causing the big plate of cake fall to the ground and crash on the floor, leaving the young pony very disappointed.

*PLOOP*

The two ponies reappeared back at the entrance of Sugarcube Corner, Rainbow Dash still a bit in shock of all the company present, feeling a slight bit uncomfortable. "Pinkie!" Twilight repeated. "I said a "Little Party", remember?"

"What!?" Pinkie complained. "This is a "little party"..." Following with a chuckle. "Cupcake?" Offering a sweet treat to the Princess, but Rainbow Dash then pulled the pink pony in to aggressively whisper into her ear.

"How is this little Pinkie? Everyone in Ponyville is here!" The blunt pegasus rebutted.

"Well..." Pinkie Pie wasn't sure if she should say it, but she felt a bit pinned to the wall; figuratively of course. "Considering everypony in Equestria knows what's going on...this is a "little party"..." She smiled squeamishly. "Considering?" Giving the most deflating "squee" sound one could ever hear. Everypony in the background was smiling to their forthcoming hero Rainbow Dash, unaware of the conversation that had commenced.

Twilight could only looked to her friend who just slouched her head down in shame. If the floor of Sugarcube Corner was made of sand, Rainbow certainly would have buried her head in it by. No doubt this would be a long night to endure for the pegasus...

***

As the night went on, it went about as bad as Rainbow Dash feared it would. It wasn't that the town's ponies thought Rainbow wouldn't come through, in fact it was quite the opposite. It was their upmost confidence in her, almost to the point where none of the ponies really felt like they were in any danger. Like they knew Rainbow Dash coming through was foregone conclusion, like she always had. It was starting to become a bit disconcerting frankly. Every couple seconds, another group of ponies would come up to her, some even on multiple occasions, thanking her for a task she hadn't even done yet.

The lacking of any sign of fear within any pony in Ponyville was beginning to make Rainbow more and more antsy. Eventually, Dash bought herself a moment and slowly went over to the cider bowl, which Applejack had specially made for her...it was a Rainbow Dash party after all. Dash poured a small cup for herself, but instead of her standard tactic of drinking her favorite liquid in under a second...she just stared at it, looking at her reflection in the cup. It was the look of a pony she had never seen before, and what made it worse was it came from her own image. While she was lost in her train of thought, a voice came from behind her.

"Why ya checked out in the corner Dash?"

The words spooked Rainbow, making her nearly drop the cup in her hand, but gathered it quickly. Upon turning around she saw her friend Applejack. The likes of Rarity, Fluttershy were also alongside and the Cutie Mark Crusaders were also nearby. "Aren't ya enjoying yourself? You did want this party after all." AJ continued on.

Rainbow started to respond, but the scent of the beverage in her hoof caught the farmer pony's attention. "Oh I see, you don't anypony to take any of that cider from ya. No worries though, that cider's made just for you. So how ya feelin'?"

All her friends and young fillies were looking on waiting for an answer, which only tensed the pegasus even more. Stumbling on what to say, Dash desperately swigged the cup of cider quickly into her mouth, shrugging her fore hooves as a way to avoid answering the question. The ponies giggled at the gesture, Rainbow's usual demeanor would illustrate that as a way of being funny to them, something she did quite often so it didn't seem off to them. However, it did to one of the ponies. The young pegasus, Scootaloo, who looked up to Rainbow Dash as more than just a friend, but as a big sister. She wanted to ask Rainbow why she was acting so defensive, but with all the others around Scootaloo didn't want to make a scene. Young Scoot decided that she had to find a moment when the two would be alone and ask what was going on, the only issue would be with all the ponies crowding the place, it would be next to impossible. Scoot's friends decided to continue enjoying the party and left Rainbow alone for the time, and by the way Rainbow watched them leave Scootaloo knew something was wrong, and she was going to get to the bottom of it...

***

Throughout the night, everything continued to worsen. Everytime Rainbow turned around, another pony wanted to talk to her. It was to the point that her mind began playing tricks on her; muffling out the words all the friendly ponies were speaking, and instead began hearing all about her impending doom. Now each time Rainbow would turn around, Sugarcube Corner looked to darken, ponies faces were replaced with dark red clouds, their eyes turned glowing blue...just like Raindoom's. Then on top of it all, Dash began to hear the voices of all the ponies like in her nightmares...

"YOU WILL FAIL!!! YOU WILL FAIL!!! YOU WILL FAIL!!!"

Rainbow Dash had to get out of here, she was going insane. Trying to not draw any more attention to herself, Dash flew up the stairs of Sugarcube Corner to try and get some air and relax. Her breathing was sharp and short, she was starting to turn pale, and she made up her mind right there. She was getting out of here. Rainbow believed a party of encouragement would make her feel better, but it was bringing her to the point of pure anxiety shock...

So without telling anypony, Rainbow opened the window and flew off into the sky.

Meanwhile a young Scootaloo peaked into the room to realized that Rainbow was indeed gone. The realization made her gasp, and she quickly ran back downstairs to get help...

***
Back downstairs, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were being subjected to the annoying conversational banter of the two young colts they had grown up with, probably regrettably so, Snips and Snails. Snips was holding up a customized Rainbow Dash hat, with colored rainbow mane and all, Snails was wearing one as well to demonstrate Snips' pitch. All while Sweetie and Apple Bloom just blankly stared at them, with an occasional yawn of boredom.

"So what I'm saying is when Rainbow Dash saves the day, is making her wear a hat that already looks like her head a good idea?" Snips proposed, but it was soon cut off by a holler to the other CMCs behind them.

"Sweetie Belle! Apple Bloom!" Scootaloo got her friend's attention, trying to catch her breath.

"Scootaloo?" Apple Bloom asked. "What in appleseeds are you runnin' from?"

"It's Rainbow Dash!" Scootaloo answered quickly. "I saw her head upstairs and she flew away...SHE'S GONE!!!"

The kids gasped at the statement. Scoot then told them about how panicked she looked upon her leaving, which made Apple Bloom ponder.

"Hmm, Dash was acting kinda weird when my sis spoke to her earlier" Bloom remembering their recent encounter with the pegasus. Scootaloo agreed with a nod.

"Yeah, I noticed that too." She said back. "That's why I went upstairs to follow her, to ask her is everything was okay...but she flew off before I could talk to her." The look on all the young filly's faces told a story of confusion. Why would Rainbow Dash leave now?

"Wait a minute...are you thinking what I'm thinking Snails?" Snips turned to his unwise companion.

"Does Fillydelphia make all the cream cheese?" Snails puzzlingly responded. The answer was given a look of dumbfoundment as the girls looked on as well. Snips pulled Snails in close. "No! It means she's scared! And if Rainbow Dash is scared...that's means..." He paused and thought for a moment, putting the pieces together. "WE'RE DOOMED!!!"

Snips and Snails then hugged each other tightly and started balling out crying in a waterfall of tears. The CMCs just looked on a stance of pity, and knew they needed to tell a grown up of the situation. So they quickly left the two boys to themselves, giving no acknowledgement they even left. And after nearly a minute of crying, suddenly Snails realized something and stopped.

"Wait..." He said to his friend. "Am I doomed...I thought I was Snails..." The statement made Snips plant his own head back onto the floor. "Or am I?" Snails continued questioning himself...

***

Meanwhile, the adults were gathering as the Cakes were about to cut their own personal cake they made for the party and the guest of honor Rainbow Dash.

"And now, a very special Seven Layer-Seven Flavor Cake with every color of the rainbow!" Pinkie Pie announced to the gathered assembly of ponies. "Now, all we need is for Rainbow Dash to come on up and cut the first slice..."

All the town's pony looked around, with the speed they knew Rainbow Dash had, they suspected the guest would appear very quickly...almost instantly. After about a minute of the pegasus no showing, Pinkie Pie cleared her throat and began rummaging through her similarly name colored hair, and so pulled out of it a giant megaphone, twice the size of herself in fact. Wondering how could it even fit in there...really. "RAINBOW DASH!" She screamed into the megaphone, causing ponies nearby to cover their ears. "SUGARCUBE CORNER CALLING RAINBOW DASH!!!"

Whispers and murmurs were starting up, wondering if this was prank of some kind. Princess Twilight also amongst the gathered ponies started looking around in all directions to spot the rainbow pegasus anywhere, but just then she felt a tug on her tail which got her attention.

"Twilight, there's something we need to tell ya..." Came a statement from Apple Bloom, a panicked Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle close behind. Twilight leaned in so the filly could tell her quietly, so not to rile the crowd of townponies. But when Twilight heard what she needed to hear...

*PLOOP*

Twilight reappeared next to Pinkie Pie, who then whispered into the party pony's ear. A shocked look on Pinkie's face told a story that confused the gathered company.

"Alright, don't worry Twilight." Pinkie quietly responded back. "I'll make sure to not let the crowd know THAT RAINBOW DASH IS GONE!!!"

Realizing too late that the last part of her statement carried into her megaphone, causing it to be heard by everypony. Pinkie giggled awkwardly as Twilight gave her an annoyed look. "SORRY! WAS MY SUPER LOUD MEGAPHONE STILL ON?!?" She called out blaring into her echoing gadget once more, causing a silence within Sugarcube Corner that could only be described as eerie and fearful.

Princess Twilight did a masterful job of calming all the Ponyville present down. Telling the town that it was possible that Rainbow Dash sensed something may be happening and went to investigate it, she then told everypony to take precaution and stay safe in the mean time while herself and the remaining Mane Six members went to help. The mares went to Scootaloo for assistance for the young filly was the one who saw her leave. So she could see what direction and designation could be. The CMCs asked Twilight and the others if they could come too, and while everypony was hesitant they agreed. The CMCs were Rainbow's friend too, so it was only right they found out what the problem was also.

So Twilight floated Scootaloo atop her back so the filly could guide her to where Dash flew off to, and soon the Mane Six and CMCs left Sugarcube Corner by their own method of travel to all attempt to find their friend. They could only hope all was okay...

***

Rainbow Dash was staring out to the horizon while sitting on a nearby mountainside. Dash almost wished she could see the sky as it once looked, the bright stars and glowing moon were absent as they had been since the Royal Princesses cast the spell to protect the land. Ever since she got there, all Rainbow could hear was the voices in her head...

"You will fail...you will fail...you will fail..."

The pegasus shut her eyes tightly trying to calm herself and get the negative thoughts out of her head, but while doing so she heard a different voice from behind, one not in her head.

"Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow became slightly spooked at first, but recognized the voice immediately. Although she expected somepony would find her at some point, the pony that spoke wasn't the pony she expected. Dash turned around to see the young pegasus that called her name.

"Scootaloo!?" Dash spoke in surprise, galloping over to the filly. "What are doing out here alone, it's the middle of the night..."

The young pegasus noticed a tone to Rainbow's voice that Scootaloo wasn't accustomed to hearing. She didn't want to believe it, but it became harder to deny. "I could ask you the same thing. Why did you leave the party without telling anypony?"

Rainbow Dash looked at her "little sister" who had a frown on her face and Dash couldn't help but sigh. She felt ashamed and embarrassed. Fortunately, before Dash could give an answer to Scootaloo the rest of the Mane Six approached with the rest of the CMCs. She looked at all her friends, all of them had the same look as Scootaloo. It had become a point Dash could no longer bare, she crumbled to the ground and began to openly broke down. It was a side of Rainbow her friends rarely saw, and in this case they couldn't help how terrible they all felt for her.

Scootaloo slowly walked over to her friend and hugged her tight, a gesture that Rainbow had done for her numerous times when she was really sad. After several minutes, Dash finally gathered herself and vented to the ponies, even though it was more just to vent to herself. Rainbow talked about how she believed everypony knew she would fail them, and they would never forgive her for it. Her growing self-doubt and fear. About how Rainbow Dash had always dreamed of being a hero, and now that moment was here...and now she didn't want it anymore.

Princess Twilight of all ponies understood the position her friend was in, who approached Dash still gripping tightly to Scootaloo.

"I've been in your hoofsteps before Rainbow..." The Princess stated. "...and even in the times when I knew everypony was counting on me. I knew I had still had amazing friends to help me through any problems that we'd encounter. I learned that from you...from all of our friends." Pointing her hoof behind to all of them. Rainbow listened closely, but couldn't help to think of the difference between all the things Twilight faced, and what she herself would ultimately face.

"That's just it though Twilight. You've done everything you can do to encourage and motivate me, you can't help me beyond that. All the friendship and hope in Equestria won't do any good if I can't do what I need to do." Dash turned back around and slowly walked back to the edge of the mountainside. This was a special place for Dash, it was the place that herself and Scootaloo first bonded after she saved the young filly long ago. The both would often return there together to reminisce, it was the very reason Scootaloo knew where Rainbow Dash would be. It had become Rainbow Dash's "Getaway Spot". She observed the horizon in the distance which looked calm for the time, but knew it may not be for much longer. "I need to be strong enough to defeat Raindoom, fast enough, tough enough, brave enough...and...I don't know if I'm any of those things..."

"And yet, I know you're all of them!" Twilight responded to Rainbow's dejected demeanor. The statement made Dash's ears perk up which had drooped down in her sorrow.

"Really?"

The nod came from all the ponies, who came closer.

"You ARE the strongest." Applejack stated.

"The Fastest..." Pinkie Pie followed up.

"The Toughest..." Then Rarity after that with determination.

"The Bravest..." Fluttershy continued with a sweet smile on her face. Dash then looked down to the young filly next to her.

"And most important..." Scootaloo began as Twilight approached.

"You're our friend!" Twilight Sparkle concluded as all the fellow Mane Six and CMCs grouped together. Dash looked to them all and gave a smile, but shortly after it turned back to a frown.

"Thanks everypony..." Dash said with a sigh. "I just wish it was that easy..."

Dash then slowly turned around and walked back to the cliff's edge and stared back at the sky and began to envision what lied ahead.

Rainbow Dash:
I used to think that everything,
Was going to go our way.
The sun would shine, from high above.
And brighten all our days.
But now the clouds have cast a shadow,
Upon us here today.
And now you need a ray of light,
To chase the dark away.

But how can it be?
Why's it have to be me?
To save us all,
Set Equestria free.
Everypony's counting on me...
I only wish that I could believe.

Rainbow looked down and blankly gazed the ground beneath her as the other ponies looked on, listening to her words. Soon, upon looking to each of her friends, Princess Twilight approached Rainbow...putting a hoof on her shoulder.

Twilight:
Don't worry Rainbow, we'll be alright.
Rainbow Dash:
How can you be so sure?

Twilight:
Because we know that when trouble is near.
Applejack:
There's nuthin' you can't endure!

Rarity:
You're strong, and fast, and incredibly brave...
Fluttershy:
And we believe in you.

Pinkie Pie:
(Hugs Rainbow Dash from behind)
And we all know that when the time is here...
You'll know just what to do.

Rainbow Dash:
I sure hope you're right.
That I'll put up a fight.
So I can make sure everypony will be alright.
All of you are counting on me...
I really, really hope I believe.

(All the ponies then gathered around Rainbow Dash)

(CMCs: When you believe) Twilight:
We know you can do anything,
That you put your mind to.
(CMCs: And when you believe) Twilight:
There's no such thing as impossible,
No matter what you can pull through.
(CMCs: And if you believe) Rainbow Dash:
Then I can do so many awesome things,
Just like I've done before.

Everypony but Rainbow Dash:
And with all of your friends, here by your side.
You can do so much more.

All the kinds words from her friends put a smile of Dash's face as she looked at all of them with a spark of happiness she hadn't had in a long time.

Rainbow Dash:
Thanks everypony, I think I'm alright.
You've helped show me the way.
That with all of you, here by my side.
I know I'll save the day.
I'll keep fighting, no matter the odds.
Until the skies are clear.
You've made me realize that I'll win in the end.
As long as you're all here.

Twilight:
If you take a stance.
Evil won't stand a chance.

Everypony:
No matter what, we know you'll succeed.

Rainbow Dash:
Thanks everypony, Now I believe.

All the ponies embraced in a tight hug, allowing all them to let out some emotion and feelings at the situation. Rainbow then let out what sounded like a weeping, giggle of happiness which made all the ponies seem to do the same. They were all so lucky at the friends they had and had made with one another.

The joy was interrupted by a giant flickering flash of light in the sky, which looked like lightning to the pony eye, however there were no clouds in the sky to make it be such. This caught all the ponies' attention, looking up above, wondering if it would happen again. Sure enough, several moments later another protruding burst of light flickered again high.

"Wh-What is that?" Young Sweetie Belle asked the adult mares around her. There was no answer to the question though, which only worried the fillies more. Twilight walked up next to Rainbow Dash who was aggressively observing the horizon while the other mares tried to keep the kids calm.

"Rainbow?" Princess Twilight questioned. "What do you think is going on?" Rainbow Dash turned to her, and even though Dash had never experienced anything visual like this, she did suspect what was happening.

"I think it's the Princesses' spell Twilight...it's getting weaker." Dash truthfully implied. "They won't be able to keep it up much longer..." The way that Rainbow Dash worded it, and by her tone of voice, it seemed dire.

After a couple of moments, Twilight spotted something in the air, almost on an incoming direction to their location. And when she spotted the pair of illuminating lights of yellow and blue, Twilight quickly determined who was approaching.

"There's the Princesses now!" The speed that they saw Luna and Celestia coming looked to be a quick like pace, but certainly much slower than they would expect for the situation. But upon them both coming closer, it was apparent why. Their energy looked completely depleted; and with their lack of energy would also come a inability to maintain the spell.

Luna and Celestia soon landed on the cliffside to meet the Mane Six and CMCs, both upon doing so collapsed to the ground, getting a cry of worry from the mares present.

"Do not worry..." Princess Celestia assured to her subjects. "My sister...and I...will be fine." Giving a cough of exhaustion in each break of the sentence.

"No you're not..." Princess Twilight admitted to them. "Both your magic is nearly gone...you can't keep this up."

The ponies around them tried to think of an idea or solution to aide the problem at hoof. But one thing was certain, the spell could not be stopped. When the time came, all the ponies needed to be evacuated to safe haven and no pony would have any time to prepare. So they needed to come up with something, and quickly.

After consideration, Rainbow Dash thought of an idea, though she wasn't sure how well it would be received. "Twilight, if you gave the Princesses some of your magic like you did for me, would they be able to keep the spell up?"

"It's possible. But that would be magic you could use if you needed it..." Twilight warned her friend, but Rainbow was not considering that.

"They need your magic right now more than I do later Twilight, they need to be able to keep the spell going...do it!"

Princess Twilight nodded reluctantly in agreement with her friend and hurried to her royal heirs, leaning down to connect horns with them. Sparks began to emit from the three Princesses and soon a flow of magic began to flow from Twilight to Luna and Celestia.

Moments later, the sky which had become constantly flashing with light returned to it's original norm when the Princesses' magic began to flow more powerfully. Luna and Celestia were then able to get to their hooves and begin to recover.

The Princess of the Day and Night began to inform the girls of Raindoom's intrusion of their dreams, which Rainbow Dash was already aware of. The royals came up with an idea that could allow Rainbow Dash to stop Raindoom without the spell needing to be ended, but it would require Rainbow Dash to return with them to Canterlot. Rainbow looked back to her friends, all had a mixed feeling of confidence...yet uncertainty. But shortly thereafter, Rainbow turned to Princess Twilight.

"Twilight, I'm going to Canterlot..."