• Published 18th Jun 2021
  • 694 Views, 8 Comments

The End of the Rainbow - JTH



When an elemental phenomenon returns after many millennia, it's discovered that only one pony can rid of it and save the land. But doing so may come at a terrible price...

  • ...
1
 8
 694

Chapter 20

Everypony in Ponyville continued their evacuation attempting to move as far from Ponyville as possible. Over an hour had passed since their trek began, and despite the mass number of ponies they had made good time. They had just exited the mountain caverns that Canterlot were built upon, but the ponies moved as far East as they could. Just South of Foal Mountain, the ponies briefly rested at Lake Neightron, a beautiful body of water that was home to many birds and other wildlife. Under the glowing sun of Celestia, the lake would glisten and shine like diamonds, but with the dreary dark sky, the water reflection looked black as coal.

Once Princess Celestia had the final groups of Ponyville residents catch up with the fully gathered, she spoke to all present. "Is everypony still well?" A following of commotion and agreement appeared to be the response, giving comfort to the Princesses' worry. "We shall break for now to allow anypony to rest."

As several began stretching their legs, from aches and Charlie horses they may had developed, young Apple Bloom went to the shoreline to take a drink of the water from the lake the rest upon. However, she quickly made a face and spit the water out just as fast. "Ugh!" She groaned. "It's salty! We can't even drink this." Frowning as Applejack came up to check on her little sis.

"That's why we came prepared Apple Bloom." AJ reminded her sister, opening up several crates from the Apple's wagon. "Hey ya'll, If anypony needs fresh water or some cider, feel free to drink up."

Townsponies began to gather around to take their share of refreshments available. Showing that even during this time of uncertainty, everypony felt a small sense of security.

Meanwhile by the shoreline, Sweetie Belle took a much needed sip of her water, who was very tired from the journey like so many others. She exhaled in relief at its taste. "So good..." She spoke quietly to herself. When suddenly something caught her eyes off in the far distance, coming from the direction where all the ponies had travel from. "Huh?" Sweetie Belle said with a gasp once she noticed the figures approaching. "Everypony! It's Twilight and Princess Luna!"

A cheer from all the ponies on the ground below emerged as pony by pony they spotted the Princesses flying in their direction. Rarity and Applejack approached the shoreline with their younger sisters, waving to the flying ponies above to direct them. But soon, something caught Rarity's eyes. "Applejack. Are Princess Luna and Twilight carrying something?" The pony of generosity's comment was followed by a question from Pinkie Pie. "And...where's Rainbow Dash?"

Both Pinkie and Rarity's question caught AJ's attention. The Apple squinted trying to get as in-depth a glimpse she could. As The Princesses closed in, the figure became more clear. It looked like a grey pony, mane whipping in the wind. Applejack had to take a second look...it couldn't be what she thought...or rather, who.

But soon her fears were proven correct as the Alicorns above began to descend. "Oh no...It's Rainbow!"

The cheers of celebration soon turned to concern as the Princesses landed. They lay Rainbow Dash on her back who would flinch and shake sporadically as the ponies looked. A whimper came from Fluttershy. "Oh...not again." For she saw the all too familiar look of her friend looking helpless on the ground.

As ponies began to gather around, Applejack tried to intervene. "Everypony stay back! Give her some air!" The plea went answered as almost franticly ponies backed up several hoofsteps.

Luna and Twilight approached Princess Celestia who looked equally concerned as everypony else. "I am sorry sister..." Princess Luna said to her elder. "We did all that we could." Although Rainbow could move around slightly, it wasn't nearly enough to get to her hooves.

Heartbroken at her friend's state, Rarity was about to cry. "But...what happened to my beautiful suit? It should have worked." Rarity sadly asked, wondering why her creation completely failed her friend, but Twilight explained.

"I'm sorry Rarity." Twilight apologized. "It held up well. If it wasn't for me, Rainbow wouldn't of had to put herself in harm's way. I should have just gave her my magic when she asked me. This is all my fault."

Pinkie was quick to help Twilight calm her grief and bury the burden she carried. "Don't blame yourself Twilight, you don't know that's true..."

"Twilight..." Princess Twilight mentor, Princess Celestia came forth to console her. "You are not at fault. To watch your friend try and save all of Equestria while standing by doing nothing, would have been wrong. You did everything you could to help her...you did the right thing."

Twilight continuing in her self pity though. "But it didn't matter. All I did was put my friend in a worse state than if I had done nothing..."

"TWILIGHT SPARKLE!" Came a slight harsher tone from Celestia's younger sister, Luna. "Sometimes you can do the right thing and still fail...but that doesn't make you any less of a good pony..."

Just then all the ponies attention was redirected when all could hear young Scootaloo call out, seeing her "big sister" for the first time.

"Rainbow Dash!?" She cried in worry, even when Applejack tried to hold her back, the young filly pushed the earth pony's hoof away to allow her to run to her friend. The tired Princesses and others could only watch as the pegasus filly endlessly tried shaking Rainbow Dash, hoping she would come to. A look of sorrow and sadness came across all the ponies watching the young Scootaloo franticly fanning her hooves over her friend, trying desperately to dry her. "She soaking wet! I'll bet that monster did this..." The filly angerly accused. "Don't worry Rainbow Dash, you'll make that cloud pay. I know you will..."

The filly's harsh words lead to both Twilight and Luna giving one another a sorrowful look. Little did anypony know that the very thing each pony grew such distain for, was the very thing that gave the Princesses a chance to remove Rainbow Dash from danger. But even if Luna or Twilight spoke the truth of what had actually happened, why would anypony believe them? How could them convince them otherwise?

While Twilight looked deep in thought for a solution, she then looked out to the lake beyond her, and recalled what young Scootaloo has said. "Wet...WET! Of course!" Twilight perked up, forming an idea.

Twilight asked Scootaloo to move aside so she could grab hold of her friend. "What is it Twilight?" Princess Luna questioned.

"Remember what it said? About "cleansing" the elements away. Maybe this lake can do the trick..." Twilight then was about to take flight, until Applejack stopped her.

"Wait a minute..." AJ started. "You said "It said..."? Who's "it"?" But The Princess of Friendship didn't answer, only continuing to carry out her idea.

Twilight had no time to explain just yet, she had to act to save Rainbow. Before taking off she spoke. "Rainbow, can you hear me?" The question was slowly responded with Dash giving a soft exhale, followed only with saying her friend's name. It was all Twilight needed to hear to know Rainbow was alert, so she continued. "I have an idea. Whatever you do, hold your breath!"

In an instant, Twilight flew up into the air with Rainbow in tow as both attempted a long breath hold. Rainbow Dash couldn't give much of one, meaning Twilight had to go fast and make it count. With Rainbow in her forehooves, Twilight dove into the lake before all the ponies, leaving many of them confused and questioning, with gasps and looks of concern.

Using her Alicorn wings, Twilight swam through the salty depths of Lake Neightron, all while grasping Rainbow Dash tightly in her hooves. She kept close eye to make sure that Rainbow was still holding her breath hoping the abundance of water from the lake would dilute the elemental rain that Dash had become saturated in. She didn't want to stay underwater too long for Rainbow Dash's sake, but yet wanted to be sure she could cleanse away all the impurities the rainbow pegasus had been exposed to.

***

Back on the shoreline, the ponies looked on what felt like forever, even if it had been only about a minute. Suddenly, a huge splash came from the center of the lake where Twilight resurfaced and returned to the sandy shore. Twilight was breathing heavy as the deep dive took just as much out of herself as it did Rainbow Dash, who was also nearly gasping for air. For all the other ponies, it was quite surreal seeing the pegasus in the condition she was. Very few of them saw the effects of Dash's first encounter with Raindoom, and her lack of visual elegance of vibrant colors were quite distressing to see.

Twilight after gathering her wind back, lightly shook RD on the shoulder. "Come on Rainbow. Please, wake up!"

...Suddenly, her eyes slowly opened. "Twilight..." Her voice was heard.

It worked, to Twilight and Luna's surprise it seemed to be true what Raindoom had spoke. Although her color didn't restore, removing the elements of Raindoom's rain within the lake stopped the process of draining the rainbow pegasi's strength. Soon she struggled to sit up and wiped the salty water from the lake from her eyes. "Wh-what...What happened?" But as Twilight Sparkle began to answer, something else caught Rainbow's eyes. Or rather, somepony...lots of ponies in fact. "Wh-Wait, where are we? And how did everypony get here?" Dash asked in a frantic state.

Trying to calm her friend, Twilight spoke. "It's alright Rainbow, Luna and I had to get you out of Ponyville. You're safe now."

"What!? NO!" Dash cried out in an act of paranoia, trying to hop up to her hooves, taking a moment to do so. "We have to get everypony away from me. You're putting everypony in danger!"

"RAINBOW DASH!!!!"

The pegasus stopped in her hooftracks. Then, calmly and slowly Twilight stood alongside Rainbow and told her friend to take a breath with her and calm down. Rainbow did so, with a look on her face that seemed conflicted. Using the breathing technique that her sister-in-law taught the Alicorn, Twilight wanted Rainbow Dash to slowly relax by attempting the same method. Little by little, Twilight side by side her friend took deep breaths to calm themselves. After a moment, Dash turned calm and looked to here friend with a subtle smile. Now it was time to talk while they were all there.

"Alright..." Applejack spoke first. "Now that everypony is calm. Can someone please us what the hay is going on?"

"I must concur Twilight." Princess Celestia followed up. "How were you certain that your idea would work?"

Before Twilight said anything, she stepped aside leaving the still color faded Dash in the limelight. "While Luna and I could answer that...I think it's best if Rainbow explains."

Confused, Dash questioned what The Princess was talking about. Twilight proceeded to tell her what they had been told by Raindoom, all they remained was for Rainbow Dash was to confirm if what The Princesses were told...was true.

Dash closed her eyes for a minute, then with a touch of sympathy, she told the truth. "Yeah, it's true..."

Twilight and the others questioned Rainbow Dash's intentions to go to the lengths to resist. All of them cared, but they cared more for the pegasi's well-being than anything else. The ponies could always replace their home, ...they couldn't replace their friend.

"Rainbow, if you're right and what you said is true, then there just might be a way." Twilight then galloped to the shoreline and looked out to the horizons of where her and Luna came from, towards Ponyville. Then to many's surprise, she called a name they never thought Twilight would utter...

"RAINDOOM! RAINDOOM!" She cried out to the sky. "CAN YOU HEAR ME!?"

The ponies surrounding the shore were quite confused to what the Princess of Friendship was thinking. "Applejack, has Twilight gon' bananas?" Apple Bloom asked her sister, who only responded giving a hoof nudge. Whether the response was to tell her little sister to stay quiet, or for using any pun that wasn't an apple...that was anypony's guess.

Then the sky grew even darker than before, the temperature felt like it dropped instantly. The instincts of the ponies were acute...they could sense its presence coming.

While the ground began to rumble violently, Rainbow Dash stood tall next to her Alicorn friend. "I hope you know what you're doing Twilight..."

"So do I Rainbow..." Was the only answer Twilight Sparkle could give back. She knew it was very risky, but also knew this was the way to help everypony.

Within moments, it appeared. Its dark, red masses eclipsing the light from the sky. After a stalling moment, the fiend in the sky looked down. Many ponies were present, far more than any of their previous encounters. "I am sure you know that my presence here will only bring risk to all of you." It spoke.

"I'm aware of that Raindoom." Twilight spoke back, now in the air, acting as a verbal shield of her pony subjects as much as a physical shield.

"The Pony of the Elements was wise to tell the others to flee from me, bringing the young one back to all of them I feel is a true disparage to her efforts. So I ask you young Princess...why have you called to me?"

The voice from the fiend above was stern, yet reasonable. Rainbow Dash had no idea of Twilight's reasons, nor did anypony else for that matter. The Princess looked above and responded.

"Because I could sense your pain back in Ponyville. It took everything for you to allow us to escape. You helped us save Rainbow, now it's our turn...let us help you now!"

Raindoom's response was quick...

"There...is nothing...you can do..."

Princess Twilight didn't accept that answer, she knew there was something they could do to help no matter how big or small. The thought was short lived however, for the rumbling above from the cloud told them all that the storm and rain would return...and unfortunately for Rainbow Dash, Twilight brought Raindoom right to her. Twilight prepared to activate a magic shield to protect them, but a hoof placed on the Princesses' back from the pegasus was the cold, chilling reminder that it would be irrelevant. That just like before, the spell wouldn't help.

And then, after a loud yell from Raindoom. The rain began to fall...And this time, she had no protection...no hope.

In a complete sense of fear, Dash closed her eyes, trembling awaiting the monsoon of rain to impact, yet when Dash reopened them, she noticed Raindoom's elements was seen in every direction. She could see everypony being drenched in the heavy rainfall, though Dash looked up and saw a complete break of light above herself. Leaving her completely dry, yet when she looked to her side a mare matter of hoof paces, Princess Twilight was also being bombarded with a steady battering of rain. The two looked to one another almost in amazement, Twilight was soaked to the bone...yet Rainbow Dash was in fact dry as a bone.

Then above, a loud roar of what seemed to be pain came from the cloud above, but for what reason, the ponies weren't sure.

"Raindoom, what's wrong!?" Princess Twilight called above from below.

"I cannot bare this much longer..." Rainboom spoke once more, Twilight then again asked what could be done to help.

"...Set me free..."

The words echoed down from the sky. Rainbow Dash heard those words and felt a sense of sadness in the cloud's voice. But...could Rainbow Dash do it? After all that Raindoom did to help the Princesses get the rainbow pegasus out of Ponyville, now Dash had to return the favor...by destroying it? And even if she went through with the task, would the toll be too much for Rainbow to take? The response from Raindoom continued, almost to a plea. Dash though injured and weak, knew what to do. For the sake of not just Equestria, but for Raindoom as well.

With a face of determination, the time was now. It was time to be a hero...

Rainbow Dash took off to the sky, still hurt but trying to do anything she could. The guided path of clear weather Raindoom continued to create gave the pegasus a chance, but in her condition there was no certainty of how many opportunities Rainbow would have. In a continued plea, Raindoom told the mare to hurry before his magical elements instintively reacted against her.

Dash tried to gain more speed, providing little success. In a sudden scream above in the sky, a heavy force of wind blew directly into the pegasi's face. And while Rainbow Dash wasn't blown back, the gusts stopped her movements to a complete halt. Struggling, Dash had to remain in her present position; for if the high winds pushed her to any side, the heavy downpour of magical rain would surely do her in. In her current weakened state, becoming drenched again from Raindoom's elements was not an option.

Twilight and the others felt helpless, for none of them could help their friend. They were all soaking wet from Raindoom's storm and thus couldn't touch her, all they would do is sap the remaining strength she had left. All they could do is cheer and hope Rainbow on.

But suddenly, rumbles of thunder began to emit from Raindoom, and the cloud being knew what was happening. It was beginning to strike the pegasus below.

"Look out young one!!!" Raindoom bellowed out as a rapid fire of lightning bolts came crashing down in Dash's direction. In a frenzy, Rainbow Dash ducked and dodged as best she could. But before long...

*ZZAAAPPPPP*

"NOOOOO!!!" Came a roar from entity above as a powerful strike of lightning connect to the rainbow pegasus sent her falling back down to the ground where all the ponies stood as gasps and shrieks of panic followed.

Princess Twilight tried to use her magic to stop Dash's crash landing, but her magic had become so depleted that she could only soften the landing, as a plume of dirt and water splashed up on impact. The Princess of Friendship quickly pulled Rainbow back to the clear patch of dry land, but it was too late as she became saturated with the elemental rain once more, leading to the colored vapor releasing into the sky above.

"I am sorry ponies." Raindoom apologized, words nopony expected to hear. "I am trying so hard to not harm your friend. The magic within me strikes against her when she attacks...perhaps I deserve to be called a monster..."

What Twilight soon noticed that the clearing that Raindoom created for Rainbow Dash was beginning to close in. If it closed completely, then Rainbow was a goner. "I am sorry...I have done all that I can..." Raindoom called down.

Twilight tried desperately to cast a spell to try and halt the magic rain from closing, but she was too weak; even so she knew like before it would most likely have no effect.

Just as the rain closed in fully, a bright blue shield shaped like a pyramid formed over top the downed pegasus and alicorn. The sudden shock from Twilight was followed by a familiar voice.

"Well, it may not be as effective as my suit, but it may do the job the same."

Twilight turned to see the sight of her friend Rarity, severely straining as much magic as possible to protect them. The Princess soon called out for every unicorn to help assist. One by one, an additional magic shield formed over Twilight and more importantly Rainbow Dash. Even despite the plan in place, Raindoom doubted they would sustain very long.

Slowly, all the unicorns could feel their magical energy becoming weaker. Twilight feared it was only a matter of time before their magic proved immune to Raindoom's rain as well. Twilight was beginning to panic.

"This is all my fault..." Twilight sulked. "I should have gave Rainbow my magic when I had the chance..." Now so weak, the Princess barely had any magic to use herself, let alone to give to another pony.

After a moment, a shake in Twilight's hooves made the alicorn jump in surprise as Rainbow Dash got back to her horseshoes once more. Rainbow looked horrible; her color nearly completely wiped away, and her appearance looked weak and brittle. About the only thing she was still capable of doing was talk, and with a heavy breath she turned to Twilight and said just one word.

"Magic??"

Magic. It was what caused the whole problem so many millennium ago, but it would also fix everything. If only Twilight had any to give, or even Luna or Celestia in fact. But all three Alicorn Princesses were physically and magically exhausted to their point. Rainbow Dash said Twilight's name once more, and said it again..."Magic...Twilight."

All the ponies gathered within the barrier, if anything could use themselves as a physical shield if need be. "Twilight, we are running out of time." Celestia warned. "If only one of us had our magic to give..."

After the royal's response, a voice was heard from above.

"Princess Twilight..." Raindoom called out from above, garnering the awareness of all the ponies. "You and your fellow Princesses are not the only ones who bare your Alicorn magic."

A gasp came from the Princess of Friendship, it was true. She realized what Raindoom was implying as a spoke on. "That same magic also resides...with me."

But all knew that it wasn't as simple as it seemed. Raindoom knew what would result if any form of magical transfer occurred. It had sensed her thoughts, seen her fears in her dreams. It knew the risks and dangers that would become of the young mare should she choose to save them all.

The reality had become dim for the ponies. Could this really had been real? Was is fate to lose a friend, or lose their home?

Rainbow Dash looked up to the figure above, one that tried great lengths to help her. A strange twist of irony that a cloud could be seen in a whole new light. The pegasus began to shiver and shake with adrenaline, she knew the time was now or never.

"Believe in your friends, as they have believed in you...and you will be fine young one."

A hush befell everypony, as soon after Rainbow Dash looked up to Raindoom. "Do it..."

With all its might, Raindoom began to release with appeared like colorful streaks of magic. Princess Twilight was all too familiar with its appearance. It was indeed an essence of hers, as well as Luna and Celestia's Alicorn magic, harvested over millennia. The magic flowed down to the surface slowly. The unicorns were put into a difficult position, as they had to open a hole into their shields, causing Raindoom's elements to seep in.

Shortly after, the magic flowed into the confines of the safe haven Twilight and Dash were protected in...and in a flash the magic literally attracted into Rainbow Dash's body.

The pain was sudden and sharp, and the shocks of the magic began to distract the unicorns still attempting to keep their shield intact. The power inside Rainbow began to grow, to the point where the ponies nearby could begin to see her mane start flowing like The Royal Princesses, yet the transferring of magic was still continuing.

After an urge from Raindoom to hurry, Rainbow Dash flew straight through the magic shield the unicorns had created, shattering it to pieces. Dash continued to absorb more and more of the magical energy, and even through the forceful wind gusts, the pegasus slowly began to accelerate and cut through the gusts. The pain was unbearable, but Rainbow Dash had come too far now. She had her eyes set on her target, the very one who went to the extreme length to help her, she now had to "free" it...by...by...

Although Rainbow was still drenched with rain in her eyes, she knew that some of the water came from tears forming. Dash closed her eyes tightly and in one last cry, as the energy inside began to surge, even through the powerful wind gusts, the increasing Alicorn Magic she bared allowed to become faster and faster . "I'm sorry..."

*ZZOOOOOOOMMMM*

Sparks began to fly as the barrier began to break, all the ponies looked on as the rainbow pegasus looked like a dot in sky by this point. Then, when all went silent...

*BOOOOOOMMMM*

The Rainbow Ring expanded outward and what looked as fast as a rocket went blasting to the sky. Raindoom looked down to the rainbow streak coming towards it and could only close its eyes. It would no longer be a prisoner of fate and destiny...it was finally free.

"Thank you young one..." It thought to oneself.

The ponies below looked on in anxious wait until the beautiful rainbow pierced through the center of the cloud, and almost instantly the sky began to light up by the bright sky. And just as quick, it was gone.

Raindoom was destroyed...but the feeling was far different than what the ponies thought it would be far earlier. What they believed originally would a feeling of pure joy, was rather a feeling of melancholy happiness. In the end, everypony achieved what they had hoped for.

***

High above in the sky, the remaining pieces of Raindoom had begun to fade to nothing. And Rainbow Dash felt a tearing conflict of emotions. She couldn't help but feel terrible for doing what she had done, but at the same time Rainbow did do what the being asked of her. "I wish there was another way...after all of this..." She thought, but once looking down to all the ponies below, she believed that perhaps being alongside her friends would ease the pain. "Well, the important thing is to make sure everypony is safe. All that's left now is to get everyone back..."

*BZZZZTT*

A sudden surge of magical energy jolted through Rainbow Dash's body like electricity. A hard, sharp pain. And one that Rainbow had experienced before. That same horrible pain she felt back in Canterlot, when she absorbed the Princesses' magic before. And now, it was happening again.

Dash tried to remain calm, but the pain continued to increase with every jolt of unstable energy.

*BZZZT* *BZZZZT* BZZZZZZZT*

Each shock became stronger and longer than the previous. What made things worse was Rainbow Dash was so high in the sky, the ponies couldn't even tell what was happening. They believed their peril was over, unfortunately for Rainbow Dash, hers was just starting.

*BZZZZZZZZT* BZZZZZZZZZZT*
*BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT*

Rainbow's body then went limp, her wings barely moving to keep afloat. Then in a beat, all the remaining color on Rainbow Dash's coat and mane completely disappeared. Her far further weakened state than from back in Canterlot, made the effects of the aftershock and aftermath far worse. Her vibrant color turned white and black like a zebra, her iris of her eyes went clear gray.

The pegasus tried and tried to keep her wings moving, but despite her last gasp effort, her wings stopped.

Rainbow's eyes closed and everything went quiet. With all her energy sapped, Dash blacked out and began to freefall from the heavens and downward spiral back to Equestria...