• Published 12th Jun 2021
  • 553 Views, 28 Comments

Egress - Grey Vicar



Twilight Sparkle is the princess of Equestria. The paper crowd cheers for her. There is a glint inside a Place in the mountains to the north. All is well.

  • ...
4
 28
 553

Chapter 17: The Cadence Of One's Family

Twilight Sparkle raised the moon, and, instead of going to her chambers, like she had done every night for six hundred years, headed to the western wing of the castle. Her hoofsteps rang in the hollow halls. There were no servants. Perhaps they had sensed the storm approaching, and had decided to get out of the way.

A wise decision.

A tempest swirled inside her. Flurry Heart hadn’t lied. Flurry Heart hadn’t looked like she had been lying. Everything in her rebelled at the idea. The mere thought that all along, she had been wrong to ignore her as she did, that all along, her niece had truly wanted the best, the mere idea buffeted her mind, leaving her raw and pained.

She will not have this. I will not have this. This is not happening. I know something is wrong something is always wrong she wants me gone she wants me gone she wants me gone.

Her head throbbed with a deep aching as the thoughts fought inside her like electrical interference trying to fry her synapses. She squeezed her eyes shut and trudged ahead, wanting all this to be over before she was hit with a migraine.

Twilight forced herself to stop in front of the large guest room where somepony had ostensibly hung a pastel drawing of a winged heart. Now, the proper way to enter would be to politely knock on the door and announce herself. The improper way would have been to bang on the door and yell at Flurry Heart to come out at once.

So Twilight forced the door open with a slam of her magic and barged inside Flurry Heart's room. The sole occupant barely held back a yelp as Twilight slammed the door behind herself, but Flurry Heart skillfully regained her poise and nonchalantly flipped her hairbrush out of her mane, making her tiara spin back into place around her horn at the same time. Did she have to do everything with such an infuriating amount of poise and grace?

“Twilight, it's… good to see you.” She coughed. “I'm not used to Canterlot customs, but in the Crystal Empire, walking uninvited in somepony's room like this is… rude.”

“And barging into my castle without a proper invitation is not rude?” Twilight scowled, heat rising from her chest already. Just seeing that picture-perfect princess trying to tell her what to do… “I'm here to demand explanations!”

“First of all, Twilight—”

Princess Twilight.” Twilight said icily.

“—Princess Twilight,” Flurry Heart corrected herself, “I do have an invitation.”

Twilight laughed mirthlessly. “You do, do you? Lies! I require every formal invitation to foreign diplomats to be signed by my hoof, and I know for certain that I have never, and will never sign an invitation to anyone from the Crystal Empire.”

Flurry Heart looked away, and Twilight's cruel laughter died down in her throat. The look of hurt in Flurry Heart's eyes was like seeing the last day of summer vanish and give way to a cold and lonely winter. Flurry turned her back on her and walked to a large chest that had been pushed to the base of the plump bed that occupied most of the room. Out came robes, scrolls, cases, and finally, a small wooden box delicately engraved with her name and runes. She opened it, revealing a short feather, a few small teeth, some foalish drawings, and at the very bottom, a faded envelope. “This is my memento box,” she explained calmly, as if she didn't have an irate princess in front of her. “I keep all my most precious memories here. This is my first feather I lost. Those are my baby teeth. This here is a drawing from my very first friend, Sapphire Polish. And this…” She lifted off the envelope and opened it, and in a voice as soft as a breeze, started to read.

“Dear Flurry Heart,

When I learnt you were going to come into our lives, I was so excited I couldn't sleep. I was going to be an aunt. An aunt! I couldn't stop thinking about all the presents I'd spoil you with, all the trips we'd take together, all the adventures we could live as I showed you Equestria. Spike (you're probably going to be calling him Uncle Spike) finally managed to calm me down, but I still need to write you this letter.

You are going to be part of our family and that is something very special. You aren't even born yet but I already love you so much. I hope you won't find your aunt to be a boring old bookworm although I do strongly recommend you to be well-read as knowledge is the most wonderful thing one can possess!

Nevertheless, I know things will be hard for you, as you will be the daughter of royalty, and I know how busy Cadence and Shining Armour can be. And life in general is something that you might need someone, or lots of someones rather, to help you get through the rough patches and see the good things around you. It's not much, but I want you to know that my door will always be open to you, and you will always be welcomed with open hooves.

With love,

Your auntie Twilight.”

Flurry Heart turned the letter over to Twilight. The paper was dry and cracked, patched everywhere with tape to hold it together. Flurry Heart sniffled and quickly wiped tears away from her eyes. “I have read this letter more times than any other letter or book I own. At first because… because well, you were the best aunt a filly could ask for. All you promised me you gave me. Remember that time you showed me the Badlands and a dragon almost ate me alive? I couldn't stop talking about how amazing you were when you fought it off at school, I even caught one of my classmates trying to sneak into the train with me when I visited you the next month. And then… And then I read it even more when Dad died. And when Mom died. And I was alone. All I had left was you but… you were so, so sad and so hurt… you wanted to be left alone. And I left you alone. Because I loved you. Because I still love you. For centuries I haven't been brave enough to come see you, and when I heard what you had become I… I still don't know how to approach you.”

Twilight’s mouth opened and closed mechanically as her brain tried forcing words out of her. But nothing came. What was there to say? At that moment the world seemed a smudge on the back of her mind. Flurry Heart, the ice-cold queen of the Crystal Empire, was but a shadow. In front of her was a smiling filly, prancing about with her stuffed toys. Watching her was a familiar lavender alicorn. Who was she? She was smiling. She was happy. She promised Flurry Heart to always be there for her.

Who was she?

“Twi— Princess Twilight, are you alright?”

She was not alright. There was a light, a searingSEARING burningBURNING pain like molten goldandwhitedon’tforgetthewhitethegoldiswhiteshealwayswasohstarswhereissheIneedyouIneedyouIneedyou trying to claw its way out of her chest. Her vision blurred.

“I can’t… I’m not…” She stumbled backwards, through the door. “I’m…”

Sorry?

Something was wrong, something was very, very, very wrong.

Flurry Heart’s cries became distant in her ears as she fled. No, she didn’t flee. Something drew her. A distant memory sunk into her mind.

The stained glass windows of the throne room had manifested a fault so many years ago, Twilight had forgotten how they looked like. But it was normal, and nopony had said anything about it, and so they remained darkened from within, covered in a web of darkness.

Now, one of them glimmered with the moonlight, brilliant and vibrantly coloured, like it had never suffered any damage. A pastel-pink mare, standing proud under a crystal heart, her soft and gentle smile so, so familiar.

Cadence. Shining Armour.

The names exploded in Twilight’s mind, bringing her down to her knees with a scream.

Cadence. Shining Armour.

Memories forced themselves into her mind. Days of sunshine and rainbows, foalhoods spent with the two best ponies she’d known, full of love, joy, care. The brief warmth the memories brought her vanished under the sheer cold of realisation.

She didn’t have a brother. It wasn’t allowed. She was and had always been Princess of Equestria, and she had no brother. She had no friends. She had no one. The paper ponies lived and died in a breath’s length. She couldn’t have anyone.

She could barely handle Flurry Heart. She needed to keep her niece at hoof’s length, not get close to her. Just in case. She couldn’t have anyone. It was too painful. And so it couldn’t be.

She knew she hated the old princess of the Crystal Empire. She knew she had loved the old prince of the Crystal Empire. But could it be?

Had they been family?

Of course they were family Flurry Heart is your niece your niece by the stars Twilight wake up nononono bury it BURY IT!

“Twilight!” Hoofsteps on the carpet. Crystal tiara catching the light. “Twilight, I heard you scream. Are you—” Flurry Heart’s gaze went to her mother’s window. “Twilight, I’m so sorry.”

“What have you done to me?”

“Done?”

“I remember things that don’t exist.” She had to force her voice out, a hoarse whisper that sapped all her remaining strength. The window shone bright like a bonfire threatening to consume her. “Who is Sh-Sh-Shining Armour? Why do I know him? What have you done? Answer me!”

Flurry Heart’s face fell, and the terror Twilight saw on it told her she wasn’t getting anything out of Flurry Heart. Not tonight. She stepped towards her niece. My niece, what does that mean? Why is she my niece? She is just another princess, I do not know her.

Yes you do.

No I don’t. Bile rose inside her. She didn’t know what she wanted from her, but she wanted something. Answers, questions, anything.

Flurry Heart stepped back. “Twilight, please, I think something is very wrong with you.”

“There was nothing wrong with me,” she whispered. “Not until you came here.”

Heat boiled up inside her. Hurt, frustration, confusion. There was just too much to deal with. Why couldn’t things just be simple? Why couldn’t pain just leave her alone? What was she doing wrong? She was the most powerful pony in Equestria, and she still couldn’t stop hurting. What was missing? What was missing?

Something needs to be done.

Flurry Heart’s face was suddenly bathed in a livid purple light. Flurry Heart didn’t move. She stared at Princess Twilight’s horn in disbelief. “This isn’t real.” Her voice shook. “This is a nightmare, isn’t it? You can’t be… I’m dreaming.”

“It is a nightmare.” Princess Twilight’s horn flared with light and pain. “I just want it to go away.”

“TWILIGHT SPARKLE!”

Twilight froze. Her ears rang. The throne room went dark. Hoofsteps. Then, Noble Duty’s hoof, gentle on her shoulder. “Princess. Please. I looked away for just a second and you were gone. Let’s get you to bed.”

Twilight let out a shaky breath. Her legs quivered. “Noble Duty? I need to…”

There was something I needed to do. Something to leave this nightmare. What was it?

There was somepony else here. The princess of the Crystal Empire. Annoying little twit. She looked like she’d just seen a ghost. There was a blinding light behind her, coming from one of the stained glass window, but Twilight couldn’t make it out. Flurry Heart cast too long a shadow.

Twilight shook her head, regretting it immediately, as lances of pain stabbed her brain. Tired. So tired. So she turned and walked out of the throne room, the weight of the years crashing down on her. So, so tired. Maybe the kitchen would have some coffee left. She couldn’t afford to be weak. She needed coffee, and sleep. Twilight Sparkle was done for tonight. Princess Twilight would rise with the sun come morning, and everything would be alright. Like it always was.

The door closed behind her. On her desk was a broken brass clock. She glanced at it, and went to bed.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Twilight froze. The brass clock pointed to 17. When had it started working again?

Thirteen hours ago, I was holding court. I think.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Something had changed irretrievably tonight.

Comments ( 2 )

That was a good chapter. Poor Twilight she's truly gone mad.

Just wondering; is this ever getting an update? Happy to wait patiently, but a few authors have noted that people aren't asking about updates to their stories recently, so I figured I'd at least ask. Good luck, and I can't wait for more :)

Login or register to comment