• Published 12th Jun 2021
  • 553 Views, 28 Comments

Egress - Grey Vicar



Twilight Sparkle is the princess of Equestria. The paper crowd cheers for her. There is a glint inside a Place in the mountains to the north. All is well.

  • ...
4
 28
 553

Chapter Six: Throne Room

Twilight Sparkle stood alone in the throne room of Canterlot Castle.

It was a strange place that seemed to morph and shift depending on the time of day. During the day, when the court was open to the public, sycophants, courtesans, nobles, and the common pony alike crowded the space so much that the throne room felt as small as a broom closet, constrictive and stuffy, and the throne towered over them as regally as any monarch. During the night, after the servants ushered out the last stragglers and cleaned the floor, the throne stood alone in the middle of a sea of darkness, cowering in a space too big for it.

She often took some time to stand in the throne room after dark and think. Think about what, she didn't quite know. She always had this feeling, like there was something she needed to give a good, long reflection about just on the edge of her thoughts, but it was inevitably swept away by other, more pressing matters. Appointments, legislations, public appearances, all things she needed to keep as a priority in order to be a good princess. Work tirelessly, make your people happy. That was her duty. She sighed. Gallop Hoofworth's book still sat unread in her office. By the time she'd manage to read it, the author would probably have already released a new book. Or died. Either was possible.

She walked along the stained glass windows lining the western side of the room. They depicted important moments of Equestria's history and had been placed there to remind ponies to always be watchful and remember the troubles that had fallen upon them and which they'd had to overcome, and as celebrations for important triumphs for ponykind. However, Twilight couldn't quite recall what they depicted. A long time ago, a fault in the glass had manifested, and the windows became vague shadows when light hit them, obscuring the scenes they depicted. It hadn't seemed to bother the court or the servants, or anypony for that matter. So Twilight hadn't bothered fixing them.

You should sleep.

Her eyelids were heavy as she dragged herself through the room. She was sleepy, but sleep would not find her. This was one of the frequent nights where she needed to move after spending close to an hour tossing and turning in bed. She'd stayed up late to study up on locust invasions in preparation for her upcoming meeting with the Minister of Agriculture and the Buffalo Chief, and during that entire time, she'd wanted nothing more than get to bed and sleep. And still, when she'd finally pulled herself out of her books and got in bed, she had gotten the sudden urge to study up more on those problems just to be sure she was ready. And when she'd picked up her books again, a nauseating wave of fatigue had washed over her. And so she had gone back to bed.

Rinse and repeat for the next hour or so.

Her steps brought her back to her throne and she let herself fall on her haunches on the cushioned seat. Her entire body felt like it was made of lead. Twilight was tired. Tired and exhausted. Twilight Sparkle couldn't handle all of this, all of those disputes and the complaints and the politicking and the handling of fussy and spiteful nobles and politicians who seemed intent on seeing her kingdom fall. Twilight Sparkle couldn't handle this, but Princess Twilight… that was the whole purpose of Princess Twilight's life. That was her drive, her reason for living. The throne felt unfamiliar under her. Now, she couldn't recognize it, but tomorrow… tomorrow Princess Twilight would wake up to a new day, and would handle all of this. All Twilight Sparkle needed was to take a backseat and take her hooves off the wheel.