• Published 2nd Sep 2012
  • 1,457 Views, 19 Comments

Pulling the Strings - RenaissanceBrony



Lyra uses her musical powers to spread love.

  • ...
2
 19
 1,457

Pulling the Strings

“Dinner is served!” Bon Bon called triumphantly, trotting into the dining room with a short stack of plates balanced on the top of her head.

She’d practiced her plate-balancing technique many times, since she was the household chef. Every evening, she and her partner sat down to eat the wonderful meal that she had prepared.

Lyra, the only other occupant of the dining room, was already seated, anxiously awaiting her dinner. She perked up in her chair as soon as her partner entered the room, and her eyes lit up when they spotted the plates her partner was carrying. As usual, however, Bon Bon’s method of carrying the plates on her head prevented Lyra from seeing what contents they held.

“Awesome! What’re we having tonight, Bonnie?” Lyra’s expression of excitement was very similar to that of a puppy who knows they’ve done something good, and will soon be rewarded with a treat. In fact, if Lyra’s tail hadn’t been trapped between the wooden seat of the chair and Lyra’s rump, it would probably have been wagging.

Bon Bon chuckled as her hooves clopped across the hardwood floor, making their way towards her expectant partner.

“Grass!” She proclaimed, while simultaneously lowering her head next to the table and sliding one plate off the top of the stack without spilling a single crumb of food. The plate landed on the table directly in front of Lyra, who leaned forward to inspect it with a mixture of disappointment and disbelief.

“Grass?” Lyra mimicked her partner, but with a significantly less cheerful tone. She searched Bon Bon’s face, hoping for a wink or a smirk or something, anything, to let her know that this was some kind of cruel joke, that she hadn’t been dreaming of this moment for the entire day, only to have her dreams shattered.

“Uh, yeah. Did I stutter or something?” Bon Bon joked, knowing very well that Lyra had been expecting another one of her sumptuous feasts, and that grass was about as un-feastlike as a meal could get. “I just bought it, too. So it’s nice and fresh.” She slid a second plate of grass onto the small rectangular table. It landed on her spot, across from Lyra. The last plate held a variety of wild berries, and she placed it in the center of the table, right in between the two plates of grass.

“No, you didn’t.” Lyra unenthusiastically admitted, slumping back in her chair, defeated. But she quickly sat up again as a thought struck her. “Wait. Did you just say that you bought this grass?”

“Yeah. What’s it to ya?” Bon Bon glanced quizzically at Lyra, obviously not understanding what the unicorn was getting at.

“You realize that you actually had to walk across some grass to get to the store, right?”

“So?” Bob Bon still didn’t get it.

“Couldn’t you have just used some of the grass from the ground? Not only is it free, but it’s probably even more fresh than grass from the store.”

Bon Bon paused for a moment, giving the idea some consideration.

“Eh, whatever. Just eat your grass.” She dismissed Lyra’s argument with a wave of her hoof. She always bought the ingredients for her meals at the grocery store, and grass was no exception.

“But where’s all the good stuff?”

“This is the good stuff. Grass is good for you.”

“I don’t care if it's healthy. I care if it tastes good.”

“That’s why we’re eating healthy.” Bon Bon lightly prodded Lyra’s belly, which, due to her highly unique style of sitting, was very prominently exposed. “You’re starting to get fat.”

Lyra knew it was true. She’d been starting to let herself go. But she still didn’t enjoy Bon Bon’s unwelcome health advice, so she hugged her own belly defensively and tried to look as offended as possible.

“I am not!”

“Oh yeah?” Bon Bon smirked. “Checked the bathroom scale lately?”

Lyra, unfortunately, had weighed herself earlier that day. She knew she’d put on a few pounds recently, but it wasn’t too bad. It probably wouldn’t have even been noticeable to anypony who didn’t know her as well as Bon Bon did.

“Okay, so maybe I’m gaining just a little weight, but so what? It’s not like you got with me for my looks.”

Bon Bon took her seat across the table, easing up on the offensive stance she’d adopted. She examined her lover while leaning down to nibble the grass on her plate. Lyra still had her perfectly kempt mane which flowed so gracefully down her neck. Her cutie mark still complemented the color of her eyes and coat beautifully. Her body, despite it’s recent-but-hardly-noticeable swelling, still appeared attractive and alluring.

In fact, Bon Bon, noticing how Lyra was playing with her food and slouching in her chair, couldn’t think of any reasons to be with Lyra other than looks.

“Why else would I stick with you?” She asked teasingly. She popped a berry into her mouth.

“For my music, obviously!” Lyra grinned.

“Ha! Sure, you’re good. But don’t kid yourself. I’m not gonna stick with a mare just because she’s good at strumming some fancy string thingy.” Bon Bon resumed eating her grass.

“It’s called a lyre, and you know it. Don’t underestimating its power; it can do incredible things when it comes to love.” Lyra levitated the bowl of berries towards her and used her magic to sprinkle a few pieces of fruit onto her plate.

“What? Are you saying you could’ve made me love you just by plucking some strings? That’s a good one.” The earth pony chewed as Lyra placed the bowl on the table and began to scoop up mouthfuls of grass and berries.

“It can do that,” Lyra paused to smirk, “and more.” A tiny stream of juice dribbled down her chin, escaping through her open lips as she spoke.

“Oh yeah? Prove it, then. Go make some ponies fall in love, using just your music.”

Lyra had finished all of the food on her plate, but her hunger was not satisfied. She needed more. Her magic picked up her instrument, which was propped up against the table. She always kept it close by.

“Not right now,” she replied, beginning to vibrate the strings with her magic, “I’m still eating.”

A soft, calm melody emanated from the lyre. Bon Bon slowed her chewing, taking the time to enjoy the beautiful music.

Minutes passed as Bon Bon blissfully ate her meal and Lyra concentrated on making every single note as beautiful and expressive as she could. The music notes grew longer and expanded, filling the room with their calming presence.

“Hey, Bonny?” Lyra cooed softly, not wanting to break the spell her music seemed to be casting on her companion.

“Mmm?” Bob Bon groaned in response. She opened her eyes just a crack to gaze across the table at her lover. She tried to focus on the music, but the light of the setting sun shone in through the window and lit Lyra’s body ablaze with its passionate glow.

“Why don’t you come have some berries?” Lyra held up the bowl as the two lovers’ eyes locked.

Bon Bon forgot about her plate, no longer concerned with her meal. Grass and berries were not enough to satisfy her. As if in a trance, she climbed atop the table and traversed it with just a few slow steps in time to the music.

The song crescendoed and the notes grew faster.

A bowl of berries spilled the floor as a chair was knocked over by a passionate embrace.

An uplifting harmony joined the song’s melody, just as powerful and just as deep. The two parts blended in to one, forming a beautiful, flawless sound.



A/N: This is the beginning of what was supposed to be my submission to the most recent EQaD speedclop challenge, but I've taken way too long writing it so far, and I'm still nowhere near finishing it. I plan on adding one more chapter and only one more chapter. It will be actual clop, but it won't just be LyraxBonBon.
Edit: I've changed my mind. I really don't see a reason for me to continue this and make it a clopfic. I just don't feel like it would fit the mood of the story. So I will not be writing a second chapter.

Comments ( 19 )

Well good job so far man. Though if Lyra's lyre has any of the same powers that Link's harp in Skyward Sword did, then all of Ponyville may be in jeopardy :pinkiehappy:

Cool beans. Here, have some upvotes.

This was really really good. I normally don't click on stories on the front page, but I decided to. You, are one of the rare few to get a favorite from me. .

1207451 I am kind of ashamed to admit that I haven't actually played that game. But a quick Google has brought me up to date with the harp's powers. I have to say I agree. :twilightoops:

1207510 Dood Thanxors!!1!one I luv te up vohtes!

1207522 Thanks for picking my story then! Feedback like that inspires me to keep writing!

1208378
Its cool man, I actually think I'm the only one of my friends that played that game. Its still fun though.

Now, if Lyra played the song of storms then well... yeah....

Also is it bad that this was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Dw60SVXQ4

1208634 Hahaha, that video cracks me up! :rainbowlaugh:

And the song of storms, I don't want to think about. :twilightoops:

Yet again RenaissanceBrony delivers only the highest quality fiction. Hails brother.

1209069 Wow, man. Thank you! I can't describe how much that means to me. :raritystarry:

I agree with the decision not to make this a clopfic. It's much too awesome, the way it is.

1225543 Woohoo! Thank you doubly! :raritywink:

Once for agreeing with me, and once for the fantastic compliment! :rainbowkiss:

I could be way out of line here, but I always felt that romantic love is a combination of deep love for another person, emotional intimacy, and physical desire. It irks me when people try to play it off as if physical attraction has nothing to do with it (though, yes, physical attraction alone is not love). Also, I think liking someone for their music is even more shallow than just liking them for their looks. So I was disappointed when Lyra's claim that it was the music alone was proven right. I really think that a combination of reasons Bon-Bon liked her should have been made clear.

Also....getting away with telling a female lover that she's getting fat? :rainbowlaugh: Yeah, Right! But maybe it works differently when it's a woman saying it rather than a man. But I seriously doubt it.

Bon-Bon crawling on the table, though, nice! I agree that making it a clopfic would probably be a terrible idea. Probably not for the reasons that everyone else said it, though. Clop always has saliva-bridge kissing (and sometimes just copius amounts of the stuff played around with), and the most disgusting adjectives in existence describing things that are not nearly that disgusting in real life. I like sexy, and Bon-Bon crawling on the table is sexy. So is the mere suggestion that the characters had sex (but was possibly skipped over), which never actually has to go into an actual sex scene. (...though if a writer would actually do a sex scene in a sane way for once, it would be fine) It doesn't need to be turned into a clop-fic. That isn't to say the story couldn't use a few minor adjustments here and there. Not in regards to sexiness, just in general.

Despite that I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that Bon-Bon got away with calling Lyra fat, I thought their interactions together were really cute. . All in all, I greatly enjoyed the story. Up-voted.

2363046 Wow, that's quite a lot of feedback! :rainbowderp:

I can't say I was expecting it, since I haven't posted anything in months, but I appreciate it nonetheless! :twilightsmile: Thanks for taking the time to write all that.

I totally agree with you on the stuff about love. The relationship I created between these two definitely is not love. Since I was originally aiming for a clop-fic, I couldn't have my main character stuck in a loving relationship with just one pony, since she was going to run around Ponyville seducing everypony with her music.

And I did mean to make it clearer that it was actually Lyra's magic that tempted Bon Bon, not her music. I had the idea that Lyra would use her lyre to channel her magic and create any emotion in a pony of her choice, so Lyra was actually causing Bon Bon to be lustful, but I stopped after just the first chapter.

As for the fat-calling part... Yeah, that probably shouldn't have happened. :unsuresweetie: It's no better when a woman does it. Nice job calling me out on it! :twilightblush:

Thanks again for the review, and thanks for the upvote!

I'm curious, though. How did you stumble across this story so long after I posted it?

I'd have to disagree on it not seeming like love. The way you wrote the characters, it was clear that they were very comfortable with each other, and intimate with each other's little mannerisms. If anything, the only thing that might have been suggested is a lack of sexual attraction...but even that is up to interpretation, and it can easily be interpreted that the point about the music being the only thing Bon-Bon likes about Lyra is not accurate, since Lyra doesn't have to actually be right. Or even being serious about the claim. (kind of makes one of my complaints moot, or at least reduces the slight problem to ambiguity)

Lyra's magic being the thing that attracts Bon-Bon would have been terrible, but since the story never went into that, It's not exactly true unless the story says it's true.

Anyway, most of the stories I comment on are old. I don't click on stories in the featured section, or the new stories section. I hit browse, and look for completed fics with all the necessary filters.

2371370

Oh, it seems like love? I guess I didn't do a very good job, then. I was going for more of a roommates-that-are-kind-of-flirty-but-never-more-than-friends relationship. Or, at least, not more than friends until Lyra goes and magics all over the place.

And I know that her magic being the only reason Bon Bon was attracted to her would have been bad, but hey (or hay :pinkiecrazy:), I needed a way for Lyra to get lots of mares/stallions really easily. :twilightblush:

2375987

That may not be your doing. It might just be that some people, namely me for example, will see what they want to see. I'm pretty mushy for a guy, and hungry for romance when I read. So naturally my mind might fill in the blanks of something that isn't even there. Especially if you use two characters that are practically universally paired with one another in fanworks lol.

2376022 Ah, alright. I can see where you're coming from.

And that's true. I probably shouldn't have started with a well-known couple just to have one of them left behind and forgotten. Well, that wouldn't be a good idea for a clop-fic, at least. That does have some potential for a more serious story.

2376081

Is "hit it and quit it" a requirement of clop, or did you just really, really want to go in that direction? It didn't seem important to the story that they weren't actually in love.

besides that, didn't ya end up making it not clop anyway? lol.

2376129 Hahaha, it is for mine! :rainbowlaugh: You might want to check out this story. Or you might not. It was my attempt at clop, so you could see where I intended to go with this one before I decided to leave it as a one-shot.

2363046 To me, it came off as Bon Bon simply teasing Lyra about her weight. She wasn't meaning for it to come off as mean, just some light teasing is all.

Login or register to comment