• Published 22nd Jan 2021
  • 675 Views, 34 Comments

KONO DIO DA: Wrath of Sombra - DIO Brando



The all-encompassing shadow of a fallen king threatens the light of Equestria with a formidable stand power, and there is only one who can help.

  • ...
4
 34
 675

Aftermath

DIO sat quietly in the Canterlot hall while the others celebrated. No big speech this time, no great triumph. It almost felt. . .underwhelming. So much time and effort for an enemy that was just throwing a tantrum. There was much to think about now that everything was, for now, safe. The state of Equestria, was it really his fault? The things he said, were they even true? Many powerful words were spoken, but in honesty, what would they mean after time passed? Words lose meaning, phrases become less than talking points, and thrown around idly. Morals become stories, stories become myth, myth becomes pretentious. In the end, it trails back to what it is at heart: chaos. But was the world so chaotic by default? Surely it didn't have to happen in the span of time it did. DIO's head began to hurt at the existential thoughts of Equestria, and decided to attempt answering another question.

Aurora had pointed out to him something he hadn't really thought about. Vampirism is something he had cast aside for a while, given he only ever used his vampiric abilities when he was in a difficult fight—which there were not many of. Aside from regeneration, he relied wholly upon The World to suit his combative needs. . .yet he started to think that there was more to it than just the fighting. There was more to being a vampire than just power, and while it was artificial in it's nature—he wasn't born that way—he still knew it was something to take more seriously than what he did. That would take time to process and understand completely, though his life now was essentially borrowed time. Jonathan's as well.

Jonathan, of course, was the greatest source of a newfound guilt. How much time had he wasted trying to kill the man who could have been his greatest companion? The way they fought together was different from his former servants. Most of them were crazy anyway, but he knew of three that were truly devoted to him. N'Doul, Vanilla Ice, and Enrico Pucci. They truly believed in DIO, and even at the moment of Jonathan's death, he believed in DIO, too, in some strange way he still couldn't understand. So many companions cast away, so much friendship. He could have ruled the world if he was just a little more kind and a little less prideful. The humanity he rejected could have been better in his world if he had just given them a chance. He realized that for all of his intelligence and all of his mental prowess, he was still the most short-sighted person he knew.

And what of his offspring? The sons he had? He could have been a father. He could have been king of the world, with a royal family like no other. Why did he not think of that? Why could he not cast away his pride for just a moment to really understand the potential he had?

There was one more thing bugging him, however, and that was Fluttershy. Her tenderness was gone, or so it seemed. It was like she underwent a drastic change in her core nature, something more than just a learned fact of life changing someone's behavior. She was a completely different creature. Had she turned bitter? Was she on a dangerous path? What happened to her? He couldn't tell. As he lost himself to headache-inducing thoughts once more, he heard the door to the dark room he was in open quietly to reveal the loud noise of a party behind it, before closing as quickly as it was opened. The soft clopping of hoofsteps approaching him.

"Having one of those moments again?" Fluttershy said softly, taking a seat beside him on the floor. DIO gave a disgruntled sigh, massaging his temples lightly with his hand as he closed his eyes.

"So much has changed," DIO said quietly, "I'm not sure if it was for the better. Moreover, I don't know if it was my fault. I've had doubts from the very beginning, and I said nothing because everyone was so faithful in my words that I believed that even if it were a lie, it might lead to victory. It did, of course, but to what cost? How will that fare for me in the future?"

DIO turned to Fluttershy, confused, as he heard a soft chuckle coming from her. She smiled, glancing towards him.

"For better, for worse," Fluttershy said, "what does it matter? It's a change, and we've adapted. We're making it work our way, and the quality of life may just be greater for it. Perfection is. . .greatly exaggerated. It's really paradoxical, I think. Everything being perfect is nothing having meaning. What is great about a life that has no struggles? What could somepony say about their own life, if it was only good because it was made that way? Pride can be awful, but just a little bit is good for a pony, and a person. Pride in yourself for being better than yesterday, pride in your friends for making a sacrifice for you or others, pride in strangers for being kind when they don't have to be. These things can't naturally happen unless there's conflict, and sometimes it takes a greater conflict to get ponies to realize that. Wouldn't you agree?"

"You're right," DIO replied, looking up to the ceiling, "I must be silly to worry myself so much over this world, as if it could not take care of itself."

"You're still used to believing everyone is beneath you," Fluttershy said with a chuckle, "and because of friendship, that translates into a worry for them. The magic of friendship still exists, even without stand power, but it takes understanding and personal development to change those thoughts inside. Don't worry, DIO. You saved the world for the second time, and that's what ponies will remember and tell to their fillies and foals when they're scared of a monster in the closet, or having a hard time at school, or dealing with the cruelty of chaos. They'll hear stories of the mythological creature that came from another world, saving us from a powerful monster. They'll hear stories of the man who defeated Sombra with his intellect alone. 'The monster in the closet may be there, but he is afraid to come out, because DIO might catch him', they'll say. 'Keep trying, better yourself, it's what DIO would do,' they'll say. 'The world can be harsh, but we can learn from it and make it better, make it work for us, just like DIO', they'll say. You might have been evil when you died in your world, and evil when you came here, but because of what you've done now, Equestria sees you as a walking miracle. That's what I think you are, at least."

Fluttershy leaned her head on his shoulder, nuzzling him. DIO smiled, it seems she was just as tender as ever. She had just learned balance. Before too much longer, the door opened again this time with Spike hanging his head through it.

"Hey DIO, you still thinkin' about how the world is gonna end or are you gonna join the party?" Spike asked with a smirk, "everyone is waiting on the Equestrian hero to make his appearance."

Fluttershy gave DIO a nudge as he sighed loudly.

"Alright," he said with a chuckle, "if I absolutely must."

"That's the spirit!" Spike said, turning around, "everypony if I may have your attention, please welcome the ever-deep-in-thought-but-just-as-much-a-baddass-hero-of-Equestria, DIO!"

DIO stepped out of the dark room with Fluttershy behind him to a roaring applause from almost all of Canterlot's royal guard, several of Canterlot's richest citizens, and the three Alicorns who were smiling brightly at the sight of him. Jonathan was sitting back beside a bandaged-but-doing-well Rainbow Dash, who was beside Clarity and Aurora. Nightlight was mingling indiscriminately with the male guests. As they all calmed down and returned to what they were doing, DIO began to wonder where Fury was before he heard a loud shout.

"DAMN this ale is so good I could PUNCH somebody!" a voice shouted, "Hey Spike, c'mere!"

"Oh no—"

Spike couldn't finish his sentence before Fury jumped towards him and threw a punch into his gut, knocking him to the floor before laughing maniacally. Spike groaned before Fury helped him up.

"You should really try this stuff Spike," Fury said, chugging the rest of her mug, "it really get's the blood pumpin'!"

"I would, but you just put my small intestine where my lungs should be," Spike said with a chuckle. Fury elbowed him.

"You're fine though, you can take a small hit."

They walked away, carrying on as DIO walked up to a table. Fluttershy turned to see right beside the door a certain Faithful Shield standing guard. She could have sworn he had darted his eyes away from her as she looked at him. She turned to DIO.

"You know, Rainbow Dash shouldn't have to worry about me, she hasn't lived in her own house for so long now, I think I should give her some time to rest," she said, before walking off towards Faith. DIO laughed quietly.

"About time, Fluttershy," he said to himself, pouring a glass of wine and taking a sip. As he put the bottle down, he spotted Luna approaching him from his right, turning to her with a smile as he held up his glass, "this décor is remarkable, reminds me of the night sky. It was your doing, wasn't it?"

"Well, I had some help, but. . ." Luna blushed with a childish giggle, "yes it was my work."

DIO laughed, turning to observe the crowd.

"Come with me, DIO," Luna continued, gesturing towards the thrones, "we've prepared a seat for you."

It was at this moment that DIO realized there was a fourth seat. Not a throne particularly, but a very decorated chair beside the three rulers. DIO shook his head and sighed, approaching the seat and sitting in it. Mi Amore Cadenza, Celestia, Luna, and DIO in order. DIO took another sip of his wine as Celestia leaned forward, turning to him.

"We've managed to have our most esteemed mages speak with the authorities in your aether realm," Celestia said, "heaven, you may call it. They've assured us that you're welcome to stay here for as long as you like."

"Well, I probably shouldn't stay for too long, I—" DIO started before Celestia politely interrupted him.

"Jonathan as well."

DIO paused for a moment, before grinning.

"I suppose I'll be here for a while then," he said. He noticed some oohs and aahs coming from a portion of the crowd, observing to see that Jonathan was using his Hamon for some party tricks.

"Is it magic? How are you able to do that without a horn?" a unicorn asked in astonishment. Jonathan smiled, holding up his hand.

"Hamon energy," he explained, "with proper breathing techniques, it can be channeled as a powerful healing energy, and a powerful combat energy. It's capable of a lot of things, and really depends on the user as to how it is applied."

Some more astonished wows came from the crowd as he continued doing little tricks with it. DIO turned to see that Fluttershy was laughing and talking with Faithful Shield more. He said something that DIO couldn't hear, but he could see Fluttershy's face flush lightly as she gave him a soft punch. DIO smiled brightly.

"I would have never known this side of sapient creatures had I never come here," DIO admitted, sitting back as he took another sip of his wine.

"Call it a miracle if you like," Luna said, "but I believe it was destiny for you to come here. This world needed you, and you needed it."

DIO turned to see Rainbow Dash approaching as well.

"Well, I got roughed up a bit," she said with a laugh, "I hate I missed the big battle, but from what I heard it was really more of a 'don't mess with DIO' moment."

"Roughed up is putting it mildly," DIO said, "but you fought well."

"Yeah, and Clarity said he was down to teach me more of that hoof-to-hoof martial arts stuff," she continued, "aside from working with Sombra against his will, we actually have a lot in common."

"Well, it's good to see everyone getting along," DIO said, taking the last sip of his wine.

After many hours of celebration, many hours of laughs, many hours of memories shared and made, many hours of new friendships and new relationships, the party finally came to a close. With a final toast proposed by DIO himself, to a newer, greater Equestria. With a final roar of applause, the equines were dismissed and the moon began to fall. DIO knew that there would be another conflict soon, but he didn't worry. It would be cruel to the moment to let go of such happiness for sorrow that hasn't yet the right to come. He savored every moment, until the very end, and returned to a new home constructed in Ponyville. A great mansion that would soon bring booming business to Ponyville, the epicenter of friendship.


"Wh-where am I?" a man said, nearly a year later. He was dressed rather oddly, but that was the furthest thing from his mind. What he was really wondering was how it would happen this time. He walked around cautiously, expecting something absolutely stupid to occur and take his life once more. Yet, nothing happened. He wasn't sure precisely what was going on, but fortunately a phone call reassured him that things would be alright, that they had changed.

"TO-LO-LO-LO-LO," the man said loudly, leaning down and picking up a twig before holding it to his hear.

"Doppio, listen closely, I have something important to tell you."

"Yes boss? Yes. Of course. I'll go there," Doppio said, before dropping the twig and looking at an illuminated Ponyville, "a way back home, a way to defeat this Giorno, a way to get the arrow back! I won't let you down, boss."

To be continued.

Author's Note:

I'm all typed out here guys, I'm gonna be honest. I finally wrapped up the fourth story, and gee golly did it take some effort. I'm gonna take a break for a while, but the more comments I get wanting it continued the more motivated I am to write. While I can't break down everything here in the notes about what I think of this because it's just so much to talk about, and I likely won't have the time to write a blog about it, I'll gladly answer any questions in the comments.

Thank you for reading!

Comments ( 7 )

10943745
I'll cut you a deal, how about the last three chapters? :pinkiehappy: :pinkiecrazy:

Fluttershy’s talk with DIO at the end was probably my favorite part. Nice work! I really enjoy the more polished and exploratory tone that this storyline has. It acts as a great contrast to the more fun prequels.

10986416
I enjoyed it, too, though I doubted how it would turn out. I'm glad to see that it worked out quite well all things considered.

You are a FUCKING WRITING GENIUS.

11123291
That warms my heart, maybe I should finish Flame of the Sun, but I'm doing a whole lot of creative things at once right now, haha.

11123953
i love all of ur storys.
keep writing dude!

Login or register to comment