• Published 22nd Jan 2021
  • 675 Views, 34 Comments

KONO DIO DA: Wrath of Sombra - DIO Brando



The all-encompassing shadow of a fallen king threatens the light of Equestria with a formidable stand power, and there is only one who can help.

  • ...
4
 34
 675

Help From Heaven

"What." Celestia said. Luna stepped out of a room from the back with an expression of shock as the guard hastily trotted forward to them, levitating a paper to them with his horn.

"These reports just came in today," the guard explained, catching his breath still, "the guards were killed with their own spears, and the containment spells were broken."

"How is this possible?!" Luna exclaimed, stepping forward to look at the report, "those spells were considered unbreakable by an elder mage, let alone a common unicorn!"

Celestia broke a sweat as she observed the paper, reading through the report as the guard continued to explain.

"Investigation showed that the spells were broken by an equine who studied Star Swirl's work, but we don't know much," the guard continued, "their magic left a trace on one of the guards' armor, as well as on the ground and chains used to bind Sombra. It's possible the equine might have been the same one who stole Artifact 56."

A silence befell the room as the princesses knew exactly what that artifact was, and what it could do. The sense of fear they felt, knowing that there was no chance of them fighting what power Sombra might then have possessed, was indescribable. Sombra was a fearsome entity without a stand power. However, for a creature like Sombra to have not only stand power, but a companion capable of casting spells superior to that which was used to bind him was unfathomably terrifying.

"Stormlight. . ." Celestia said slowly, "bring the Ambassador to us, we need to relay a message to the council of magic."

"I will at once, Princess," Stormlight replied, bowing briefly before trotting out of the door. Celestia turned to Luna after he had left.

"We have to bring him back," Celestia said, "it is our only option for surviving such a threat."

The two were silent for a while. They new it was wrong, unethical, maybe even evil to withdraw a creature from a heavenly afterlife, especially one that they had an eternal gratitude towards. However, when it came to their nation, they knew they had failed enough already and it was time to fix things before they got any worse. The cost of losing their people to Sombra was far more than the cost of moral guilt. Luna looked up at her sister with sorrowful eyes.

"There is no need to cause yourself additional pain, sister," she said softly, laying a wing over Celestia, "it is all that we can do to fight a threat like this."

"I know that is true," Celestia said, shaking her head, "but will DIO turn against us for this?"

"No," Luna replied, chuckling a bit, "in fact, he might be a bit bored in the afterlife."

Celestia shared a soft laugh for a moment, as with what she knew of their vampiric friend, he surely wasn't the type to enjoy a world of no conflict. Perhaps there was a lesson to learn from it, but before she could ponder such, the doors opened.

In stepped a large draconic creature, purple and green in it's appearance and about eight feet tall. Without context, it would have seemed fearsome, but an all-too-familiar voice sounded from it's lips, albeit deeper in tone.

"Let me guess, you're calling upon the Counsel of Magic to bring back DIO, right?" he said with a grin, "I was hoping you would, I never had the opportunity to meet him. Twilight told me a lot about him, though."

"You are very attentive," Celestia said with a smile, "I'm always appreciative of your service."

"And I appreciate the opportunity, Princess," he said as he briefly bowed. Celestia sighed gently.

"You don't need to bow, you know that," she said softly, "after all, we've been acquainted for a long time now, Spike."


Fluttershy sat quietly in her cottage, with Rainbow Dash across the room reading a book. The two were silent, and had been for a while. The cottage was clean, the animals were fed, and there wasn't much else to do. Fluttershy looked up to her friend, staring for a moment before speaking.

"I miss Lord DIO," she said quietly. Dash's ear perked up, as she turned to face Fluttershy, "If he didn't have to leave, he would still be here with us as our friend, he wouldn't go like the others did, he wouldn't. . ."

Dash closed her book as Fluttershy began to quietly cry. This was the third time today. After the Mane Six had split, it seemed to be all she could do if Dash wasn't actively preoccupying her. For the last couple of years, Dash had been virtually living in the cottage to keep her from being dangerously overwhelmed. After having known those friends for so long, to suddenly lose them all was so unfamiliar to the poor mare.

Dash walked up to her friend, laying a wing over her. Fluttershy simply buried her face into Dash's neck. Her crying was quiet, but the weeping was deafening, and it took every ounce of strength Dash had to keep a straight face. She was upset, too, but she knew Fluttershy needed somebody.

"What did we do wrong?" Fluttershy asked quietly between sniffles as she tried to calm down, "why did everyone have to leave?"

Dash didn't know what to say, she simply shook her head and whispered.

"No, no one did anything wrong," she said, thinking for a moment before she spoke again, "this is how things always have been, and I think we just have to adjust to it."

"H-how can we adjust to this. . ?" Fluttershy said, her voice breaking as she began to cry again. Dash began to feel worried, as she really had nothing positive to say. She opened her mouth to speak, until a loud thud sounded outside of the cottage, with a knock.

"Hey, it's Spike," a voice said, "Celestia wants the two of you to come to Canterlot, are you busy?"

Fluttershy wiped her face, looking up.

"Spike?" she said quietly, looking at Rainbow Dash, who had an expression of surprise.

"I haven't seen him in ages," Dash said, "but his voice sounds deeper. Hey, you can come in, the door's unlocked!"

The door opened, revealing the now-massive dragon. The two mares were speechless, given they had not spoken to him since the split. Spike chuckled to himself.

"You're going to ask me if I hit the gym, aren't you?" he asked. After a moment of looking him over, Rainbow Dash finally spoke.

"Well I was, but. . ." she said slowly, before looking up at him, "shit, Spike, I'm actually curious. . .are you like. . .working for Celestia or something?"

"Yep, but we can talk about that later," Spike said, "Celestia said you would need to be there when they bring him back."

Fluttershy suddenly turned her head to them with glistening hope in her eyes.

"Him? Do you mean Lord DIO?" she asked with a desperate excitement. Spike simply smiled.

"Let's hurry up and get to the capitol."


"Everything is prepared, Princess," a tall stallion said, cloaked with a mage's hood embroidered with complex magical sigils and runes. His voice was old, and wise-sounding, as would be expected from a longtime counsel used to replace the protection of the now-decommissioned Elements of Harmony. Celestia nodded, standing aside her sister as the door opened to reveal Spike and the two mares.

As they walked in, they observed the hooded figure, as well as eleven others standing in spots around a large and intricate sigil upon the floor. The room itself was without windows, lit by violet flames of ethereal chandeliers. It was surely intended for the use of complex magic spells involving alicorn magic. Fluttershy looked around frantically, wondering to herself if DIO was already there. Seeing this, Luna approached her with a warm smile.

"Do not worry," she said softly, "the preparation is nearly complete, have patience and you will see your friend again."

Fluttershy smiled, crying again as she rushed to hug Luna. Though taken aback, Luna returned the hug with a bright smile. Spike gave a small chuckle at the endearing scene, before turning around to exit the room. Dash, on the other hand, was silent, pondering the things she might say to DIO after ten years of him being gone.

"We are ready, now," Celestia said. The mages nodded, all lighting their horns as the circle began to glow along with the markings on all of the mages' cloaks. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash stood back, as Celestia and Luna approached opposite ends of the circle, lighting their horns as well.


"Did they change the wifi password again?" DIO asked, sitting in literal heaven trying to get a Mahjong game to work on a touchscreen phone, "For here's sake, I'm not even playing online and it still needs me to "sign in"; what kind of nonsense is this?"

Jonathan laughed, glancing at the phone.

"It's in airplane mode, DIO," he said.

"Airplane. . ?" DIO said with almost a tone of frustration, "there aren't even airplanes here! Why would I need a mode for it, and what preposterous developer imagined it was in any way a good idea to make it remove the Wifi?"

"Ten years and you're still getting used to Heaven," Jonathan pointed out, "it almost seems like you don't enjoy it here."

DIO pondered for a moment. It was rather boring, and even though he enjoyed every second spent with the brother he once hated, the environment itself was just so. . .bland. There was nothing going on, everything was perfect and okay. Nothing could go wrong, actually. That alone was enough to solidify the fact that he'd rather be fighting something somewhere instead of his greatest conflict being a decision between minesweeper and solitaire.

"If only something interesting would happen here, then maybe I'd be more content," DIO muttered, before suddenly a large portal opened in front of the both of them. He raised his eyebrows in amusement, "Well, speak of the de—wait, I can't say that here."

Jonathan chuckled a bit, but a tone of caution was in his voice as he looked at the portal. Honestly, he'd been there much longer and he was beginning to find it dull as well. His only entertainment was to watch the world below, observing his family in their struggles and victories. He turned to DIO, nodding his head towards the portal.

"I suppose you have your wish, DIO, let's go and take a look," Jonathan said, beginning to step towards it. DIO held his hand out, holding Jonathan back.

"Wait, how do you know it is safe?" DIO asked, "you can't just go in there, what if you die?"

"We're both dead, DIO," he pointed out, "and I agree with you, we could at least do something to keep us entertained. Bare in mind, I've been here far longer than you have."

DIO sighed.

"Fine, but I'm going first," DIO said. Before he could finish speaking, Jonathan had already stepped in. DIO paused for a moment, before letting out a loud growly groan of frustration.

"Damn you, Jonathan!" DIO exclaimed, following after.


"It's only a matter of time," Sombra said to his servant. After being freed, he and his saving grace were held up somewhere in the Crystal Mountains, planning their return to Equestria, "according to what you said, the Princesses had a power similar to mine, and that is what brought harmony to the land. Now that it has been withdrawn and weakened, the Elements of Harmony are no longer in my way, and nor those six scoundrels who defeated me prior. We will be undefeatable."

"My King, there is one possible threat that I have heard about on my journey here," Phoenix said. Sombra quirked a brow as she continued, "a human known as DIO. As far as I understand, he has been returned to the afterlife of his world of origin, but if they see that you have escaped, they may attempt to retrieve him using the Counsel of Magic."

"If they have not already," he said, thinking for a moment, "but that will be no matter. After all, my ability is undefeatable, even if he could stop time it would not phase us."

Phoenix smiled.

"I know, my King."

Author's Note:

I figured their had to be some comic relief, this story started off so grim and sad.