• Published 8th Oct 2020
  • 1,083 Views, 25 Comments

Long Distance Soulmates - PoisonClaw



Soulmate AU. Prince Blueblood had long since given up on ever meeting his desired soulmate. Or at least until they unexpectedly run into him one day...

  • ...
2
 25
 1,083

Seeking Advice

Dear Princess Mi Amore Cadenza,

I hope this letter finds you in good spirits. I know it has been some time since I last wrote to you like this, and for that I am truly sorry. I pray you can find it in your heart to forgive me for this lapse in judgement on my part, especially now that I am writing to you for such selfish reasons as these.

I will not mince words: I humbly ask for your advice and guidance, as I can think of no one more knowledgeable when it comes to matters pertaining to the heart. As I’m sure you are aware, I have been gifted with a Soul Mark near the base of my neck, one that has caused me no small amount of grief over the years. I had long assumed that I would be just another in the many who go their whole life without ever finding another with a Soul Mark that paired with their own, and I had thought that I had made my peace with that knowledge.

Until today, that is. For today I encountered another who has a Soul Mark similar to mine, one that is as visible and legible to me as my very own. Though our initial meeting began on a rather rocky start, we have both agreed to sit down for a meal three days from now in an attempt to better acquaint ourselves with one another. And yet I fear that I will undoubtedly work myself into an unpresentable mess from anxiety alone before that day comes, which is why I now seek your expertise.

Please, if you could find even a few moments of your valuable time to respond to this letter and aid me in this endeavor, I will forever be in your debt.

Sincerely, Prince Blueblood

“I know that look.”

Cadence glanced up from the letter and looked at Shining Armor from across the kitchen table. “What look?”

Shining Armor chuckled as he fed a spoonful of food to Flurry Heart, the rambunctious alicorn foal deciding to behave this morning while Shining made whooshing sounds with the spoon held in his magic. “The ‘Somepony has a love-related problem I can meddle in’ look.”

“I don’t meddle!” Cadence pouted as she set the letter aside and crossed her hooves in front of her. “I offer guidance to those in need who are seeking to find their true love while inspiring them with the confidence to take the first step for themselves.”

“Uh-huh… So soon we forget the–”

“That was ONE TIME!” Cadence replied with a blush across her face as she practically lunged out of her seat, her hooves braced against the table as her wings shot out to their full length at her sides.

Shining chuckled as he finished feeding Flurry the rest of her breakfast. “I know, I’m just teasing.” After carefully wiping any stray globs of food from Flurry’s coat with a wet cloth, he carried over the used bowl and spoon to the sink to be cleaned later. “Who’s the letter from, anyway?” he asked as he picked up the letter in his magic and skimmed through it, his eyebrows raising slightly as he got to the signature. “The prince? Huh… I wouldn’t have pictured him as the kind of pony to have love troubles…”

“Blueblood doesn’t like to show this side of him, especially to the public,” Cadence remarked as she tucked her wings back in and settled down into her seat. “He’s very particular about his privacy.”

Shining glanced up from the letter. “And you know this because…?”

“Because we got to know each other after I came to Canterlot to study under Celestia.” A wistful look overcame Cadence as she thought back to those earlier days. “We used to be so close, but as both of us started to take on more and more responsibilities we just sort of… drifted apart. I was actually surprised when I received a letter from him after so long.” Sighing, Cadence took the letter from Shining and quickly skimmed through it again. “This sounds urgent too, so I probably should write a response before he… What?” Cadence eyed Shining suspiciously as his grin suddenly returned in full force.

“Oh, now you have to help him with his little problem. Better yet, why don’t you take a few days off and travel to Canterlot so you can offer him your services in person?”

“Wha-What?” Cadence sputtered. “I can’t just up and leave on such short notice! What about the Crystal Empire? And Flurry Heart?”

“The Empire will survive without you for a few days,” Shining Armor was quick to counter. “This might actually give the counselors something to do for a change, plus don’t forget I’ll be here to help them if need be. As for Flurry Heart, I think she and I could use some father-daughter bonding time for a change, don’t you think?” Lifting Flurry Heart out of her highchair, he held her up in his hooves. “How about it, Flurry? You up for spending some time together with daddy?”

“Dada! Dada!” Flurry Heart cooed happily.

“But…”

“Besides…” Shining cut in before Cadence could try and argue further. “... I don’t think just sending him a letter will solve everything, cause the way I see it it’s not just a love problem anymore. It’s also a friendship problem.”

Cadence’s mouth flopped open and closed like a fish’s as Shining’s words sunk in. “... I hate that you’re right…”
“Aww, I love you too,” Shining replied as he walked up and kissed Cadence on the cheek, bringing a small smile to the alicorn’s face. “Besides, a few days away from the stress of the Empire will do you some good. Think about it like a little vacation, one where you get to help a pair of potential lovebirds in need of love advice. Doesn’t that sound like fun?”

Cadence chuckled a little. “Well, when you put it that way… how could I possibly refuse?” A small hint of worry still bothered her as she asked, “You sure you’ll be alright while I’m gone?”

“Positive. Now you should get packed if you wanna make it to Canterlot before nightfall.”

Nodding her head as she stood up, Cadence spared a quick moment to kiss to the forehead for both Shining and Flurry before she set off to get packed. Shining’s right, some time off will be good for me. Plus I can already imagine Blueblood’s face when I show up at his doorstep…

***

Blueblood sighed as he laid across his bed, staring up at the ceiling with disinterest. A full day had passed since he had sent his letter off to The Crystal Empire, and he had yet to even learn if the letter had arrived at its destination safely, let alone if Princess Cadence had seen it fit to respond to his desperate pleadings for advice on what to do about his upcoming date with Gilda.

His mind drifted back to days long passed when he was but a colt and Princess Cadence had first arrived at the castle as a newly ascended alicorn. He remembered how despite her lack of experience in her new abilities and responsibilities, she had still radiated a very calm and pleasant demeanor that made others instantly feel more comfortable being around her. She had been one of the first ponies he had been truly able to call a friend, and he felt ashamed that their friendship had been allowed to grow stagnant after all these years.

To seek to reconnect only when I am in desperate need of her help… I would not be surprised if she thinks of me as a selfish fool, and in truth I would not blame her. I was so concerned with my own status that I never even considered that we could still be friends after all despite her much higher standing.

Blueblood sighed as he rolled over onto his side. “Sometimes I hate being a prince…”

Knock, Knock.

Blueblood’s ears perked up slightly at the sound of light knocking against his chamber door. “Probably just a castle maid…” he muttered to himself as he remained in bed. He was in no mood for guests right now, so hopefully whoever it was would probably go away if he just ignored them.

So it was that he continued to ignore them when they knocked a second, then a third time against his door, each one being a slight bit more forceful than the last. After the third knock, there was a prolonged silence, long enough that Blueblood assumed that whoever it was had finally given up and-

Knock! Knock! Knock! Knock!

Growling, Blueblood leapt out of bed and trotted across the room and up to the door, a fierce retort already forming on the tip of his tongue as he angrily threw the door open. “Wha--” Before he could so much as get the first word out though, he froze in place at the unexpected sight of the alicorn standing before him, a huge smile on her face. “Pr-Princess Cadence?!”

“Blueblood!” Cadence’s smile never once left her face as she embraced the very surprised Blueblood in a hug. “It’s been too long!”

As Cadence pulled away from him, Blueblood shook his head to try and collect some of his scattered wits. “Wha… What are you doing here?”

Cadence tittered. “I’m here because you asked for my advice, remember?” Putting on a mock pout, Cadence added, “Aren’t you glad to see me again?”

“N-No, of course I am! It’s just… you didn’t have to come all this way just for me. What about your duties back in the Crystal Empire?”

“My husband made a pretty convincing argument that he could handle everything in my place while I’m gone. The only thing I have to worry about right now is making sure you’re not a nervous wreck for your first date with your Soulmate.”

Shhh! Quiet!” Blueblood whispered as he quickly glanced around, like he was expecting some ferocious beast to suddenly leap out from around the corner. “Come inside, quick! You never know who might be listening…” Waiting as Cadence trotted into his room, Blueblood spared one last look to make absolutely sure the coast was clear before stepping back inside and locking the door closed behind him.

“I see your choice in furnishings hasn’t changed that much over the years,” Cadence said as she admired the room, which was pretty modest-looking when compared to some of the more opulent rooms Royals preferred to stay in. “It’s still as quaint and inviting now as it was back then.”

“Thank you, I try my best, princess.”

“Please, just Cadence is more than fine. I’m not here on any sort of royal business on behalf of the Crystal Empire after all, I’m here to help you with your little romance problem, remember?” Cadence giggled as Blueblood blushed slightly upon hearing the word “romance”. Trotting over to the nearby table, Cadence removed her saddlebags and set them down nearby before pulling a cushion over and sitting down. “Come, we have much to discuss and catch up on.”

As Blueblood trotted over and took a seat opposite her, Cadence pulled out a small, pink notebook from her saddlebags, idly twirling a pencil in her magic as she flipped to a new page. “Now, let’s start with the easy questions first,” she began as the pencil began to dance in her magical grasp. “For starters, what is this Soulmate of yours name?”

“Gilda. Her name is Gilda.”

“Gilda…” Cadence repeated, sounding out the name for herself. “Quite an interesting name. Sounds almost Griffonian…”

“It should, seeing as she is a griffon, after all.”

“Oh… That must have been quite the surprise for you.” Crossing her hooves in front of her, Cadence didn’t really want to ask her next question, but she had to know for sure. “And does the fact that she’s a griffon bother you at all?”

“Of course not!” Blueblood shouted, slamming a hoof against the table and glaring at Cadence with visible disgust on his face. “The fact that she’s a griffon doesn’t matter! Why would you even ask that!?”

“Forgive me, but I had to be sure you hadn’t picked up some of his ideas since we last spoke.”

Blueblood huffed, grinding his teeth together. The very mention of him was causing Blueblood to see red. “No, thankfully I’ve managed to keep myself from following too closely in his hoofsteps.”

“That’s a relief to hear. Moving on, tell me how you and Gilda first met. And please, spare no details.”

“Very well,” Blueblood said as he made himself comfortable. “I had just finished up an appointment at my preferred tailor’s shop minutes before and was on my way to a lunch event when I realized that at some point I had lost track of the time and was running later than was socially acceptable. Incidentally, if you have the time while in Canterlot, I highly recommend making a trip to Trim Fit’s shop for a fitting. That stallion is a genius when it comes to his craft.”

Cadence jotted down a quick reminder in her book before nodding for Blueblood to continue.

“Upon realizing that I was running very low on time, I picked up the pace and made haste towards the chosen restaurant. As I rounded the last corner and caught sight of my destination, I was unexpectedly knocked off my hooves by something slamming into me. I’m sure you can figure out what, or rather who that something was.”

“Oh dear… Were you both alright?”

“A bit rattled and much dustier than before, but otherwise unharmed. Gladly I am not as frail as I was as a colt, so it was only a moment or two before I was able to find my footing once more.” Blueblood paused for a moment. “Looking back on it, I recall that Gilda also seemed none the worse for wear afterwards, but now I can’t be sure… I must remember to ask her next time I see her.”

Genuine concern, that’s a good sign... Cadence noted in her little book. “What happened next?”

“Well… I admit I was a bit enraged upon realizing that not only was I still late for my get-together, but that the outfit I had just spent valuable time and money getting cleaned up was now ruined. I was so enraged that I said the very first thing to Gilda that came to mind.”

“Which was…?”

Blueblood hung his head in shame as he replied, “I yelled for her to watch where she was going and… and then I called her a ‘filthy buzzard’.”

Cadence’s mouth hung open in shock for a moment, her magical grasp on her pencil sputtering slightly. “... You’re joking…”

“Wish I could say I was, but I would be lying then. I’m not surprised Gilda responded the way she did after that.”

“What did she do?”

Blueblood raised his head and smiled. “She called me a ‘dweeb’ in return.”

“A… a dweeb?” Cadence sputtered out before her eyes widened as the pieces clicked together in her mind. “Is that… is that what your Soul Mark says?”

Nodding his head, Blueblood placed a hoof against the Soul Mark on his neck. “‘You watch it, ya dweeb’ to be exact. The moment I heard those exact words, I felt like I’d been knocked over a second time. I forgot all about my ruined clothes and even making it to my get-together on time as I realized that this griffon could very well be my prophesied Soulmate. Needing to know for sure, I showed my Soul Mark to her to see if she could read it too, and though I did confirm that she could, her reaction was… not what I expected it to be.”

“I imagine she was just as shocked as you were?” Cadence guessed. “That’s quite a common reaction upon meeting your Soulmate for the first time.”

“That she was, so much so that she took to the sky right then and there and fled the area. Fearing that I might never get this chance again, I immediately gave chase after her, but it wasn’t long before I lost sight of her entirely. Regardless, I continued to search the city in a desperate attempt to find her, not caring that I still looked ragged from my earlier tumble.” Blueblood winced before running a hoof down his face. “I’m still doing damage control for that…”

“I assume you found her again though, otherwise we might be having a very different conversation right now.”

“She found me, actually. After exhausting myself running all over the city, I stopped for a moment to take a breather on a park bench. I had but a few moments to rest before she miraculously flew overhead and landed right in front of me. Our next meeting was a bit more… uhhh…”

“Awkward?”

“... For lack of a better word, yes. Neither one of us really seemed to know how to broach the matter of our Soul Marks, so I attempted to introduce myself to her. I was quite surprised then to learn that she already knew who I was.”

“Oooh!” Cadence’s eyes practically sparkled with excitement. “Was she a secret admirer?”

“Hardly. She’d just happened to come across a magazine advertising a recent interview I did, one with a very prominent picture of me on the front to try and draw in readers.”

“Oh…” Cadence pouted as her previous excitement was so quickly dashed, quickly crossing out several lines of notes in her book.

“Sorry that it’s not quite as ‘glamorous’ as you imagined,” Blueblood said with a chuckle. “We actually did share a little moment involving our shared distaste for certain ‘less reputable’ members of the media, but it was only for a moment before the accursed awkward silence returned. I guess neither one of us had really had time to fully process what was happening, so in a panic I threw out the idea of us having dinner together at a later date to get better acquainted, and she agreed to it. Which leads us to now, where I am still just as frazzled about seeing her again as I was then.”

“Which is exactly why I’m here,” Cadence remarked as she scanned through her notes again, the beginnings of several possible plans already forming in her mind.

Blueblood could feel his anxiety rising as over a minute passed with little more than an occasional “Hmmm…” from Cadence. “W-Well? What do you think? Is there anything you can do to ensure I don’t make a complete fool of myself in front of Gilda?”

With a smile, Cadence flipped her notebook closed. “It might not be easy, but I’m confident I can keep your little get-together with Gilda from turning into a complete fiasco.”

Blueblood breathed a sigh of relief, feeling more relaxed than he had in days. “Thank you, you have no idea how much this means to me.”

“However…” In the blink of an eye, Cadence’s whole demeanor switched from jovial to serious as she locked eyes with Blueblood. “There’s one more thing I need to know first, and that is what you intend for your relationship with Gilda to become.”

“I… I don’t follow…”

“While the idea of Soulmates falling in love is often seen as the inevitable outcome nowadays,” Cadence explained, “in reality, the very idea of Soulmates is much more complicated. Finding your Soulmate doesn’t automatically mean you’ll both fall madly in love, only that the two of you have the potential to better each other's lives. While this can eventually lead to romantic feelings arising, that is but one role that a Soulmate can fulfill. There have been just as many tales of Soulmates who end up in purely platonic relationships while still becoming best friends who would gladly go through Tartarus and back for one another without a second thought, confidants who can trust the other to never betray their secrets, perhaps even rivals who drive one another to be the absolute best they can possibly be through the spirit of competition.

“So I will ask again… What do you intend for you and Gilda to inevitably become? Will you only be satisfied if wedding bells are evident in your future, or would you be more fulfilled in simply being the best of friends?”

Blueblood was visibly taken aback, opening and closing his mouth for several moments as he tried to formulate an answer. “I… I don’t know. I hadn’t given the idea anything more than a brief thought. I just assumed that Soulmates were destined to fall in love eventually. I… I never thought that I actually had a choice in the matter…”

“There’s always a choice,” Cadence replied, reaching across the table and placing her hoof reassuringly on Blueblood’s. “I’m not expecting you to come up with an answer now, or even to forgo the idea of a relationship entirely, just that it’s something you should discuss with Gilda eventually. If at some point you both learn that you would be better off as friends rather than lovers, there is no shame in doing what’s best for the both of you.”

Blueblood was silent for a moment as he took all this in. “I… I’ll be sure to remember that. Thank you, Prin-, I mean... Cadence.” A smile slowly began to form on Blueblood’s face, but it vanished just as quickly as Blueblood hung his head in shame. “I hadn’t realized how much I missed talking with you until now. Oh, now I feel even more foolish for going so long without even attempting to get in touch with you…”

Cadence sighed. “I carry much of the blame for not reaching out to you when I had the chance as well. Still… no reason we can’t pick up where we left off, right? What would you say to reminiscing over tea and biscuits while I help make sure you make a good impression with Gilda?”

Perking up slightly, Blueblood’s smile quickly returned. “That sounds like a grand idea. As the saying goes, ‘No time like the present', right?”

And so, an old friendship that had been thought lost to time had been rekindled anew. Meanwhile, miles away in Griffonstone, a similarly anxious griffon was getting some advice of her own from a very unlikely source...

Comments ( 6 )

And so, an old friendship that had been thought lost to time had been rekindled anew. Meanwhile, miles away in Griffonstone, a similarly anxious griffon was getting some advice of her own from a very unlikely source...

Grandpa Gruff?

Wow it's really awesome to see the story again so it looks like Prince Blueblood is asking Cadence for advice how to properly a date with Gilda which was really nice to see both of them talking to each other and they said they haven't seen each other for a long time which I give them a chance to reconnect with each other and Cadence helping blue blood with a situation and it looks like Gilda is asking for help as well and I wonder who she asking guess we'll find out next time

It's good to see this story updated.

10941746
Could be Gabby or Gallus.

“And does the fact that she’s a griffon bother you at all?”

“Of course not!” Blueblood shouted, slamming a hoof against the table and glaring at Cadence with visible disgust on his face. “The fact that she’s a griffon doesn’t matter! Why would you even ask that!?”

“Forgive me, but I had to be sure you hadn’t picked up some of his ideas since we last spoke.”

Blueblood huffed, grinding his teeth together. The very mention of him was causing Blueblood to see red. “No, thankfully I’ve managed to keep myself from following too closely in his hoofsteps.”

He says, knowing that the first thing he said to her was a racial slur.

“My husband made a pretty convincing argument that he could handle everything in my place while I’m gone. The only thing I have to worry about right now is making sure you’re not a nervous wreck for your first date with your Soulmate.”

Meanwhile, in the Crystal Empire...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-"

"Hehe, Dada gaga."

"-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-"

(In reality, he's probably doing fine, but I liked the joke).

Login or register to comment