• Published 24th Aug 2020
  • 1,007 Views, 37 Comments

Cozy Glow’s Diary Entries of Love - HAKDurbin



Cozy Glow writes about her obssesive feelings for Button Mash in her diary

  • ...
5
 37
 1,007

Button's Late Reply

A light brown unicorn filly with thistle hair and a propeller hat was sitting on a bench playing on her joyboy in the Canterlot Gardens. Beautiful flowers of various colors surrounded the area, the birds were chirping on the tree branches, and the river was flowing down the stream behind the bench, but the filly was too focused on her video game to notice any of those things. She was sticking her tongue out from the side of her mouth as she glared at the screen while rapidly hitting the controls.

"Pixie Belle!"

The filly jumped in alarm and almost dropped her game before turning her head to see Sweetie Belle in her mid-twenties looking at her disapprovingly. Pixie Belle opened her mouth to speak before she heard the sound of her avatar dying in the video game.

"Aw, mom, I was almost done finishing the quest," Pixie Belle whined.

"You shouldn't have brought your joyboy to begin with," Sweetie Belle rebuked. "We're trying to enjoy the sights of the gardens as a family, not find a spot for you to play your game."

"But I just had to kill four more ogres," Pixie Belle protested.

"Ugh. You're just like your father," Sweetie Belle said. "If you don't put away your game, we won't go see the Legion of Doom statue."

The light brown filly gasped before turning off the game and shoving it inside her backpack lying next to her. Sweetie Belle smirked in satisfaction before she gestured her daughter to follow her with her head. They walked to the center of the gardens, where Button Mash was waiting for them beside a fountain.

"Where did you find her?" He asked.

"She was sitting on a bench playing The Art of Legends VII again," Sweetie Belle replied.

"Of course, she was," Button said, rolling his eyes. "You need to listen to your mother when she says you can't bring your game with us, Pixie. The ogres of Zygnicra aren't going anywhere."

"I know, but I can't help it if I want to save that family that lives in that farm out in the Kavish Mountains as soon as possible," Pixel Belle said.

Sweetie Belle shook her head and gave Button a look that said, "She's your daughter." Her husband chuckled and scratched the back of his head before he cleared his throat.

"Okay, now that we've found you, let's go see the Legion of Doom statue," he said.

"Yay!" Pixel Belle cheered.

Button and Sweetie Belle smiled at their daughter's enthusiasm as the three of them walked together down a stone pathway. Pixel Belle was walking ahead while her parents walked side by side. But as they walked down the path, Button's smile faded, and he sighed with his head down, which Sweetie Belle quickly noticed.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" She asked. "If you want to talk to her some other time, that's okay. I'm sure she would understand."

"No, I'm ready," Button said. "It's not going to be easy, but I've put this off for too long. She needs to know, and I want to have closure."

Sweetie Belle gave him a sad smile and put her front leg around him. He smiled and stared deeply into his wife's emerald eyes to express his gratitude for her support. They broke their gaze just in time to see that they reached their destination.

Pixie Belle was looking at the statue of the Legion of Doom in awe. Her eyes were on Tirek and Chrysalis, amused with the way the centaur was looking away in fear and the changeling looking like she was about to pounce like a snake. But, while the filly looked at two of the most powerful enemies of Equestria, her parents were looking at the youngest member of the Legion of Doom. Cozy Glow was standing above her companions, her eyes wide open, and her front hooves on her cheeks. If it weren't for the terror in her eyes, she would look like she was about to say "Golly" like she used to whenever she pretended to be innocent and naive. Pixel Belle looked away from the statue to notice her parents having crestfallen looks, and her smile turned into a look of confusion.

"Mom, Dad, what's wrong?" She asked.

Button and Sweetie Belle snapped out of their gaze and chuckled nervously before Sweetie Belle said, "Sorry, Pixel. We were just looking at Cozy Glow."

"Oh, yeah. The so-claimed Empress of Friendship," Pixel Belle said, glancing at the little pegasus. "Ms. Cheerilee mentioned her in class. She said something about how she tried to take away magic before she became a part of the Legion of Doom. I didn't find her to be as interesting as Tirek or Chrysalis, to be honest."

"Well, would it interest you to know that Cozy Glow used to be our friend?" Button asked.

The little unicorn looked at her father, dumbfounded as if he sporadically spoke a different language and asked, "Seriously? How were you friends with a member of the Legion of Doom?"

Button hesitated before he said, "This was before she tried to steal magic. We would play video games and get milkshakes at Sugarcube Corner with her. She used to watch me play the original Art of Legends game too. In fact, the toy sword that's up in the attic was a Hearth's Warming gift from her."

"Wow. So, do you think she was doing those things for her evil plan to get every pony to follow her?" Pixel Belle asked.

Button flinched as though his little daughter slapped him and said, “Honestly, honey, I hope she wasn’t.”

“Huh?” Pixel Belle asked, tilting her head in confusion.

Button took a moment before he said, “You see, Cozy Glow was the very first friend I ever had. Before I met her, I didn’t interact with anypony apart from my family. I wanted to have friends, but too much of my focus was on playing my games.”

“Like a certain filly I know,” Sweetie Belle added with a motherly look that made Pixel Belle chuckle.

“Exactly,” Button said with a cheeky grin. “Anyway, she was the only pony who would listen to me when I talked about games, and she was the one who asked if we could be friends. Even when she tried to steal all magic in Equestria and was sent to Tartarus, I wanted to believe there was a part of her that was still genuinely my friend.”

Pixel Belle looked at her father strangely. She had always perceived the Legion of Doom as pure evil to the core, so the idea of either of them having genuine care for another creature was inconceivable. She then looked at the floor, contemplating the brand new information before she gave her parents a shrug.

“Well, there are a lot of other creatures that were reformed back in those days, so maybe the Magic of Friendship did affect Cozy Glow in a positive way for just a little bit,” she guessed.

Button and Sweetie Belle smiled at Pixie Belle, and the latter said, “Maybe, Pixel. Maybe.”

The family became silent as the filly turned back to look at the statue again, with her eyes focused on Cozy Glow. After another minute, Sweetie Belle cleared her throat and said, "Alright, time for us to go, Pixie."

"Aw, Mom, can't we stay just a little longer?" Pixie Belle begged.

"No, you know we're meeting Twilight for lunch soon, and we need to make sure we see everything before we do," Sweetie Belle answered. "Besides, Dad needs a moment with Cozy Glow."

Pixie Belle turned to Button and asked, "You do?"

Button gave his daughter a nod, and the little filly said, "Oh," before she reluctantly walked over to her mother. Sweetie Belle smiled at Button before she and Pixie Belle walked away. The stallion smiled back, grateful for his wife's support before he frowned and walked closer to the statue. He stared into Cozy Glow's petrified eyes and sighed before he spoke as if he was standing in front of her tombstone.

"Hi, Cozy," he said. "I heard from Discord that creatures turned into stone can still hear everything around them. I hope you can because I've wanted to talk to you ever since the day you tried to take over Equestria with Chrysalis and Tirek. I'm sorry that I took this long, but I've been unsure of what to say."

Button paused for a moment, thinking of the right words before he continued.

"The thing is, I didn't know what to believe between what you said in your letter and what the three of you did," he said. "You said you changed and wanted to save Equestria, and yet you caused ponies to not trust each other and brought the windigos back to Equestria. I want to think that there was a reasonable explanation, that maybe you tried to take down Tirek and Chrysalis and failed, and so had to play the part of being part of the Legion of Doom until you got another chance. I know that's not what happened, because all of our friends have testified that you were eager to rule Equestria, but I wanted to believe that what you said in the letter was true somehow. Then there's the other thing you said in the letter…"

Button looked away from the statue with a hesitant look. Even though Cozy Glow couldn't see, he felt like he was about to dump someone in public after they had just asked to marry him. He took a deep breath and put on a brave face before looking at the petrified pegasus again.

"The thing is, Cozy; I never saw you that way," he said. "You meant a lot to me as my first friend that I could talk to and play with, but I never felt that way about you. I had no idea that you had a crush on me, and I was shocked that you thought I played my video games because I wanted to actually go into the world and kill monsters in real life. I play video games because they're fun and challenging, not because I want to destroy things. Maybe I was too passionate about winning certain video games that you took it that way, and I'm sorry if you did."

Button then turned his head around where he could see Sweetie Belle and Pixie Belle several yards away, waiting for him. He smiled at them before he turned back to face Cozy Glow.

"I imagine that you noticed that Sweetie Belle and I came with our daughter," he said. "Pixie is eight years old just like we were, and she loves her video games. Sweetie Belle and I have been married for almost ten years now. She knows about the letter and that I needed to talk to you, by the way."

The moderate orange stallion was silent again, imagining what Cozy Glow would say about his wife and daughter. His face fell before he finished.

"The truth is I love Sweetie Belle. I think I can say I've loved her ever since we met," he said. "She and Pixie mean more than all the video games in the world. I can't imagine what life would be without them, and I don't ever want to find out. I could never feel the way you did for me, but I would have liked for you to be a part of our happiness. If things were different, you and Sweetie Belle could have been better friends, you would've been an aunt to Pixie Belle, and we would have found somepony special for you. I like to think that's possible. Either way, Cozy, I want to let you know that no matter what you did, you will always be special to me as my first friend and that I'm happy. If you truly love me, I hope knowing that will be enough for you."

Button let out another heavy sigh, feeling as though a weight was taken off his chest. He gave Cozy Glow a sad smile and said, "Goodbye," before he turned around and walked toward his family. Sweetie Belle gave her husband a concerned look, but he smiled and placed his hoof on her cheek to let her know that he's okay. Sweetie Belle smiled back, and the two of them kissed, making Pixie Belle gag in disgust.

"Do you have to do that?" she whined.

"Of course, we do. It's what moms and dads do when they love each other," Button answered.

"But it's gross!" Pixie Belle complained.

"Then consider it payback for disobeying me and bringing your joyboy with you," Sweetie Belle said.

"Ugh, does that mean you're gonna kiss every time I disobey you?" Pixie Belle asked.

"Well, I like kissing your mom, so if that's the case, then you can disobey her as much as you like," Button said.

"Button!" Sweetie Belle shouted.

"I'm kidding. I'm kidding," Button chortled.

Sweetie Belle gave Button an unamused look before she rolled her eyes and smirked. Button gave his wife a toothy grin before turning to Pixie Belle and said, "Anyway, it's getting close to lunchtime, so let's head back to the castle. Twilight is probably waiting for us."

"Okay," Pixie Belle said obediently. "Do you think they will be serving hayburgers like last time?"

"With Twilight's love of fried food, I think it's a safe bet, Pixie," Sweetie Belle said.

"Yay!" Pixie Belle cheered.

Button and Sweetie Belle chuckled as their daughter started walking ahead of them again. While they followed Pixie Belle down the stony path, Button wrapped his front leg around Sweetie Belle and pulled her close to him. The white unicorn smiled and rested her head against Button, and he rested his head on top of hers. The moderate orange stallion squeezed his wife as he felt complete after getting the closure he wanted for many moons. Nothing else mattered to him now but to live happily with his precious queen and his video game-hungry princess.

With the family gone, nothing but the soft breeze and the water gently flowing down the stream could be heard around the Legion of Doom statue. A little red bird landed on top of Cozy Glow's statue and started singing without a care. But as the bird sang, a small crack appeared in the corner of Cozy Glow's left eye. The crack grew until it was the size of a jellybean, and after a moment of pause, a single tear came out. It ran to her hoof on her cheek to her foot, and then fell onto the stone floor before evaporating instantly.

Nothing ever came out of the statue again.

The end

Comments ( 24 )

oh fuuuuck you, asshole!

Then again, what else could I expect from a guy who has sweetiemash fics in his favs. Normally, Button would not deserve either. He'll always be a no-life gaming autist, that's why your portrayal of him as a good loving adult, father and husband looks ridiculous to me.

With the family gone, nothing but the soft breeze and the water gently flowing down the stream could be heard around the Legion of Doom statue. A little red bird landed on top of Cozy Glow's statue and started singing without a care. But as the bird sang, a small crack appeared in the corner of Cozy Glow's left eye. The crack grew until it was the size of a jellybean, and after a moment of pause, a single tear came out. It ran to her hoof on her cheek to her foot, and then fell onto the stone floor before evaporating instantly.

What they did to that poor filly is sickening.

10408729
Dude just because he's like that as a kid doesn't mean he can't change and be more mature as an adult. Besides, one of the genres to this story is "sad," and I stayed pretty close to what happens in the show, so what did you expect?

10408729
So are you saying that if you are a nice person you deserve to have anyone you want? Or if you are certain level of good person you deserve to have anyone? Ain't that selfish. Maybe you should go back to the medieval age when since the prince deserve it he may abandon or love any maiden he wanted. And any peasent who does not deserve beauty maiden be killed so the prince can take the maiden hand

Awesome job! Im gonna be honest, while seeing button mash and sweetie belle in the tags and description i had to check what time you joined. Usually buttonbelle/sweetie mash were choppy or old so i was impressed and surprised to see such a clean and smooth format with proper story and view of characters. I enjoyed this thoroughly and i think it's really good however button mash has lost relavancy and most people don't really like him since his portrayal has less than estatic background so dont be too surprised if people don't look at or comment on this but i must say it's a shame they won't read this. All in all, amazing work!

10409200
Thank you very much! And you're right. If you look down in the comments you'll find that there's one guy, in particular, who was saying the silliest of bad things about Button.

10408811
Button's purpose is being a butt monkey forever. This is the fate of his character. Your silly ideas are only shaking this amazing status quo. Same problem with this SweetieMash ship in which lots of people don't see its flaws. Sweetie Belle simply deserves better.

10408915
That's a very stereotypical and fairy view of the medieval times, you know.

this ending...Man this ending. I kinda knew it was going to come to this, but it was very well done. You hit me right in the feels.

10409570
Thank you! I'm glad that there's at least once person who felt that way.

10409486
Well if you are going to that direction should not twilight be forever worry wart of a pony that always twilighting. And should not discord be lord of chaos that never cared for others? And should not changeling always be a love sucking vampire that everyone hate and fear? Or how about that pony who fell in love with apple jack i suppose in your standard he does not deserve rarity and yet rarity still fall in love with him. I think your way of thinking is way too close minded to think that somepony will never change when in fact the show themself shows everyone is changing for the better. also mind you if you ship sweetiebelle with spike by your standard sweetiebelle does not deserve spike as spike has way more achievement than sweetiebelle ever had.

10409613
Well you wrote a decent Cozy all things considered (mostly equal parts both sweet and sour).

Hated the ending but hey, at least it's accurate. Much like Cozy or the show itself, this was a work of art that simply ended far too soon.

10409779
Yeah or how about characters who were given the bare minimum of guidance and attention, and when they inevitably go bad (with the tools their teachers allowed them access to), are written off by being left to die, dumped in a pit for life with Equestria's most dangerous criminals, and then consigned to a living death after being freed and bullied by the hero's boyfriend into playing the antagonist...

Oh wait, that actually happened.

10419156
You think the show should have lasted longer than nine seasons, or do you mean we should have gotten more stories of cozy?

10419238
Both. Although in the case of the show they really needed to clean up their act. In many ways Season 8 was the pits for the characterization of some of these characters.

If they really need to rehash old morals, they should've done it with the Student Six and not the Main Six.

It would've allowed for the Student Six to learn and grow the same way the original Main Six did, while not sacrificing any of the likability of the older characters.

10419156
Pretty sure when she sings with both of the super villain she shows sign of changing to be better by befriending the villain? Like how crysalis(i forgot how to pronounced her name) said after they sing, they are changing to be like the mane 6? Although in a bit of psycho kind of way. I agree the heroes should have not just imprisoned her for her young age and when did discord bullied her into villainess? he ordered all of them to work together to fight mane 6. But i dont think there are time when they got bullied. considering the previous similar scenario happening its not far fetch at all for them to reform after hundreds of years like discord did. Still agreeing with you though about how they should have not jailed her in tartarus rather than teaching her as best as they could have.

10419525

But i dont think there are time when they got bullied.

I really wish I had a video montage of every time Grogar bullied or harassed these three to do his bidding. Unfortunately all I have right now is screen shots.

8. Forcibly restrained.

Visibly in pain.

9. Punched in the face.

Remember that time Discord took the form of a giant he-goat and beat a filly's face in?

And that's not even counting what her "friends did to her"

5. Beaten.

Her reward for trying to be helpful.

See that bit of pink flying of to the side? That's Cozy.

6. Strangled.

No elaboration necessary.

7. Crushed,

And likely suffocating.

Quotes from "The Beginning Of The End":

Grogar: I assure you, I am very real. And you have all been brought here as part of my plan to rid Equestria of Twilight Sparkle and her friends once and for all. [laughs]

Cozy Glow: I am so sorry, but the name 'Grofar'? It just doesn't ring any bells.
Grogar: Grogar! I have been away too long if my name no longer strikes fear into the heart of one so tiny. Perhaps a demonstration of power is in order?

Queen Chrysalis: What are you suggesting?
Grogar: I suggest nothing. I demand that you join me, and together, Equestria will be ours!

Grogar: I'd say he gambled and lost! But at least he can serve as a warning to those who doubt continuing with my plans. Unless any of you have doubts.

I think we missed the part where he gags them at the start of Frenemies, and possibly a few more lines of threatening dialogue, but you get the point.

To check out my sources for snap shots and find out more about the various forms of abuse visited on Cozy, check out the link in the description below:
Unfortunate Events: A Series

10419565
Ok yikes you were rite. God i guess I just did not took much of a notice due to how cartoony it felt
. Thats not a good excuse to not notice it though. I still think they are getting better when they tried to get the bell. Wait a minute how does this negate anything i said about everyone changing for the better? All this stuff are from before they are taking the bell and for discord uuh at least punching and yelling is way better than what he did in the past? So its still a change for the better? Look i dont say she is not getting bullied anymore you are right about that. This is what i would call doing the wrong thing for the right thing. Discord is definetly still not perfect no pony are but he is now compared to he is in the past is definetly better.

10420411

All this stuff are from before they are taking the bell and for discord uuh at least punching and yelling is way better than what he did in the past?

Depends on what you mean by better.

If you really think those three deserved to be used as cannon fodder you might say that (I personally doubt that), but either way the character is now regularly playing with creatures he has no control over.

The Bugbear in A Matter Of Principals? The Winterzilla in The Best Gift Ever?

And now these three, who unsurprisingly break free and caused tremendous damage, which makes sense given who they are and what they can do.

Discord isn't getting better, so much as he has shifted targets. Only now a-days he is a lot more careless about the types of people he messes with and how.

Even Starlight Glimmer is shown to be more powerful than he expects in A Matter Of Principals, but he still goes after her even when she beats him anyway.

If the character ever had a sense of caution (something I am inclined to personally doubt) he certainly isn't demonstrating it anymore.

This is what i would call doing the wrong thing for the right thing.

Except after all his backsliding and chronic lying I find it difficult to believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

The plan not only doesn't make sense, given how poorly it's thought out, but it also feels like exactly the kind of excuse the character would give to get out of trouble or justify his actions.

It's just too similar to what he tries to do in "What About Discord?", and "A Matter Of Principals". I personally can't trust anything the character says anymore.

10420432
I think discord is being better because he did not think of himself but at least doing things for others. While true that he is still doing bad stuff to non mane 6 and especially bad for the ones that hurt fluttershy. He is not like that when he just plays the feelings of the mane 6. In the past he just think of himself. Now he do nice stuff for his friends like how he would do nice stuff for himself in the past. I dont think its right for him to bully those 3 but thats how he think of doing good. In the past he manipulate others and she their reaction for entertainment and make himself feel powerful. Now he manipulate the trio to make twilight see that she is competent. There are times when he wanted more attention yes. And that is bad. But the time where he pretend to take the shot and pretend to die( i forgot which episode) i cant imagine that make him look powerful at all. He still do bad stuff yes but he dont do bad stuff everyone anymore. He just do it to people thats done bad to fluttershy. That is not good in any standard but that is still improvement for me

jmj

I felt for Cozy at the end. Her love for Button was probably the only thing she had left.

It's criminal this only has 220 views.

10432347
Why thank you very much! Please feel free to share this story to people you know, and take a look at my other stories! :twilightsmile::yay::raritywink:

"I imagine that you noticed that Sweetie Belle and I came with our daughter," he said. "Pixie is eight years old just like we were, and she loves her video games. Sweetie Belle and I have been married for almost ten years now. She knows about the letter and that I needed to talk to you, by the way."

"The truth is I love Sweetie Belle. I think I can say I've loved her ever since we met," he said. "She and Pixie mean more than all the video games in the world. I can't imagine what life would be without them, and I don't ever want to find out. I could never feel the way you did for me, but I would have liked for you to be a part of our happiness. If things were different, you and Sweetie Belle could have been better friends, you would've been an aunt to Pixie Belle, and we would have found somepony special for you. I like to think that's possible. Either way, Cozy, I want to let you know that no matter what you did, you will always be special to me as my first friend and that I'm happy. If you truly love me, I hope knowing that will be enough for you."

I haven't seen or know the show's events involving Cozy and am just sharing my thoughts based on this fic. To me these two paragraphs show in my opinion the most tragic thing about this fic. Cozy was insane and delusional, but she was still an 8 year old filly. There was potential and still time for her to learn the error of her ways, had Twilight and the gang simply try to redeem her and help her turn her life around. She might have still not end up with Button, but at least she would be in a happier place.

Also I was taken by surprise that this last chapter wasn't a letter or message from button and was written like an actual story chapter. Not complaining. I actually prefer this. One minor nitpick I have is I would have liked to read Cozy's thoughts on Button's long awaited answer. As I am curious if that tear were just from sadness at being rejected or if she actually feels remorse for her actions. Oh well. I suppose it's more impactful if we are left wondering.

Wow, this was a soul-crushing ending. I had a feeling it'd be sad, but this was just devastating. Well done.

It still upsets me what they did to the Legion.

Personally, I like to call them "The Terrible Three".

Login or register to comment