• Published 25th Aug 2012
  • 23,135 Views, 2,971 Comments

Cuatro - Dirty Bit



How can one feel empty in a world full of friends?

  • ...
67
 2,971
 23,135

PreviousChapters Next
Capítulo Once

Capítulo Once

Friendship

Pinkie hopped next to Cuatro, rambling on to the strange alicorn while they trotted with the rest of the group "-and they also have this nifty ballroom where you can dance all you want! Well, unless you're one of those snobs that would rather stand around like statues and talk a lot, but Dashie told me how you danced at the welcome party, and I'd say you did a super job, even if it wasn't all that good! If anything, dancing is one step closer to making you smile in no time! And you'll probably be even more happier if you manage to get your memory back soon! I can't wait to see what ha-"

Rainbow Dash interrupted "Please, Pinkie, enough! We haven't even seen any of the stuff you talked about yet! And besides, shouldn't we be waiting for Twilight for this?"

Cuatro was thankful that Rainbow Dash had ceased Pinkie's audible assault, and his ears perked at the sound of distant hoofbeats. He shifted his eyes back, and he turned his head to see Twilight galloping towards them. When she approached the group, he spoke "So nice of you to join us, Twilight. Is everything alright with you and the princess?"

Twilight smiled and nodded "Everything's good. In fact, I can't wait for dinner later on!" She looked up at Cuatro "So, upon first glance, Cuatro, what do you think of Princess Celestia?"

Cuatro was silent before he looked away "While she is going great lengths to help with recovering my memories, I do not feel entirely fond of her..." This caused Twilight to frown "Moreso, I'm certain she does not recognize me at all, otherwise she may be hiding something from me..."

Fluttershy frowned "Oh dear...She couldn't hide something from you if she was trying to help you. That wouldn't be Celestia at all."

Rarity nodded "I agree, darling! We've already mentioned that Princess Celestia is a benevolent ruler, and it would be dreadful if she would do just that!"

Applejack looked at Cuatro and held up a hoof "Come on now, Cuatro! Sure, maybe Celestia's memory spell didn't work, but that shouldn't give y'all a reason t' hate her! She's doing th' best she can fer ya!"

Cuatro turned to Applejack "Be that as it may, my opinion still stands. What matters now is hearing her out on her mentioned alternatives over food. Hopefully, my opinion of her shall change over time."

Twilight forced a smiled 'At least he's willing to cooperate...' She then spoke up "Well, now that we're all together, why don't we get this tour started? I'm sure you want to get a better look around the castle, don't you?" The group then trotted along the halls, taking in the castle's scenery.

Time passed while Cuatro was being guided by his new friends around the vast halls. Throughout their trail, Pinkie directed Cuatro towards different rooms and flippantly explained their features, with Twilight finishing in a more detailed and coherent explanation. Cuatro only nodded to himself while he listened to them, then finally spoke "I have a question for you all..." The rest of the group looked at the strange alicorn inquisitively as he continued "Earlier, Shining Armor referred you all as the Elements of Harmony. Could you share with me the significance of your title?"

Twilight perked up and smiled "Of course! It's actually a long story if you're willing to listen, but the short story is that me and my friends are bearers of the ancient artifacts known as the Elements of Harmony! There are six of them in total, and each represent a different aspect related to harmony itself!" She directed a hoof towards each of her friends "Applejack's element is Honesty, Rarity represents Generosity, Fluttershy is Kindness, Pinkie is affiliated with Laughter, Rainbow Dash with Loyalty..." Twilight then placed her hoof on her chest "...and finally, I hold the element of Magic!"

Rainbow Dash smirked boastfully "We saved Equestria twice with them, and let me tell you, it's fun to use them!!"

Pinkie grinned as she chimed in "Yeah! We used them to take care of that super meanie Discord a while back!!"

Cuatro nodded "I see...So this Discord really is a threat..." He looked at the element bearers with his emotionless face "Does he still exist? Or has he ceased to be?"

Twilight turned to one of the castle's windows "Well he's not much of a threat as he used to be. He's kept outside in the castle's courtyards encased in a statue. That's what remains of him, anyways..."

Cuatro was silent before he spoke "Can you take me to it?"

Twilight blinked "You want to look at his statue up close?"

Cuatro shook his head as his horn began to glow with a green aura "I wish to destroy it..." This startled the group instantly "If he is a threat as you all claim, then it's only proper that he should be dealt with once and for all. I shall personally obliterate him completely..."

Rainbow Dash zipped up to Cuatro with her hooves held out in a halting motion, a look of worry on her face "Take it easy! We all hate the guy, but that wouldn't even work!"

Twilight frowned "She's right, Cuatro. He's only encased in a statue, not a statue overall! You'd only free him from his prison!"

The glow faded from Cuatro's horn as he looked down "Such a pity...But at least he is thoroughly contained." He then looked up "You said you saved Equestria twice with the Elements...Did you imprison Discord both times?"

Twilight shook her head "Not exactly. The first time we used the elements is the same moment we came to discover them! And Discord wasn't the problem at the time. It was actually-"

"Twilight Sparkle?"

The group looked back to see a guard with golden armor approach them and speak "I'm here to inform you that her majesty desires you and your friends at the banquet hall."

Spike cheered "Alright! Finally we can eat! I wonder what the princess will have for us right now!"

The guard nodded "Do you wish for me to guide you all to the desired destination?"

Twilight shook her head "No thank you, sir! We know our way around here! But thank you for letting us know!" She smiled at him. When the guard saluted and took his leave, the lavender bookworm turned to Cuatro "Now we can figure out a different way to help with your memories!"

Pinkie smiled "Aren't you excited, Cuaty!?"

Cuatro looked down at the halls "No...But I am satisfied to know that there are more possibilities other than a memory spell..."

Pinkie growled lightly "Not even a little? You're gonna get your memories back, for Pete's sake!" She went up to Cuatro's face and squinted her eyes at him "I'm sure deep down you're just fighting to hold off a smile!" The party pony smirked "So let's see it, Cuaty! Let's see that big smile you're keeping from us!"

Cuatro only stared back with his emotionless expression "You're mistaken, Pinkie...I figured that I was being clear when I answered 'no' to your question. We should hurry to the banquet hall and meet with Celestia now."

Twilight nodded "Right. We wouldn't want to keep her waiting like this. C'mon, everypony!" The group then trotted to the banquet hall with Twilight taking point.
_____

When they reached it, they noticed a long table draped with gold-laced white fabric containing several seats. Sitting at the end of the table was Princess Celestia, who regarded the group with a stoic gaze while an elderly butler stood next to her wearing a formal black tuxedo.

At her right was another alicorn, only she was smaller and light pink. Her mane and tail were the same as a regular pony's, only they were multicolored with purple, magenta, and yellow strands. Her face held a calm and lighthearted demeanor as she noticed the group, but it left when she got a better look at Cuatro. The group then seated themselves at their own chairs. Cuatro was seated in between Applejack and Pinkie as they waited patiently for the food to arrive.

Twilight smiled and seated herself next to the pink alicorn "Hello, Cadence! How are you today?"

The one called Cadence smiled at Twilight "Good, Twilight. I see you're doing fine yourself!" She then looked back at Cuatro with slight caution "But who is this one? Was he the alicorn Celestia was talking about?"

Twilight nodded "Yes! His name is Cuatro. Right now, he's suffering amnesia, so we came here to see if Celestia can sort things out! We could have this straightened out sooner than we can imagine!" She looked to see Celestia and Cuatro stare at each other in silence 'I hope...' Twilight then looked around "Where's Shining Armor? He couldn't join us for dinner?"

Cadence rolled her eyes with a smile "A guard's work is never done, especially if you're the captain!" She then turned to the doors "But I suppose it's better this way if he's willing to keep Canterlot in order. I only came here on Celestia's invitation!" She looked over at Cuatro "Sorry if we haven't properly introduced, Cuatro. My name is Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. But you can call me Cadence."

Cuatro shifted his eyes to Cadence and gave a curt nod in greeting "A pleasure to meet another princess here. Forgive me for not bowing..." He spoke in his monotonous tone.

Cadence winced before she replied with a forced grin "No, it's alright. No need to be formal like this. It's a pleasure to meet you, too!" She kept her grin while the strange alicorn continued to stare 'He doesn't look too happy...Is he always like this, or is this because he lost his memories?'

Pinkie looked around "I'm as patient as the next pony, but when do we eat? I'm about as hungry as a-"

The doors to the banquet hall were enveloped by an umbral blue aura and opened to reveal another visitor trotting her way inside. It was yet another alicorn, more resemblant to Celestia in figure, only very opposite in appearance. Her coat was a midnight blue while she wore an onyx breastplate and tiara, her mane and tail resembled a vast ocean of stars, and her cutie mark was a cresent moon surrounded by blackness. She trotted in with her ice blue shoes and looked around the room with her turquoise eyes "Hail, friends! It is nice to see thee again after our trip!"

Cuatro turned to the newcomer, and his eyes slightly dilated when he examined her appearance.

"That alicorn...Who is she?"

Pinkie frantically waved to the newcomer "Hi there, Luna! Good to see you again!"

The one called Luna smiled and waved back at the party pony "The same with thee, Pinkamena! When we arrived back at the castle, we were informed that our sister hath orchestrated a banquet for-" She noticed Cuatro staring at her and stifled a gasp when he examined his features with curious eyes "By Faust...Who is this?" Luna trotted towards the strange alicorn to get a better look at him. After a moment of pause, she turned to Celestia with an arched eyebrow "Sister, hast thou been experimenting with black magic?"

Celestia flinched before she shook her head, unamused "No, Luna. What you see before you is the guest that Twilight and her friends met yesterday. I would like for you to meet Cuatro. He has amnesia, and we were just about to discuss ways to help him out."

Luna looked back at Cuatro and hummed "So thou saith..." She answered to Celestia in a mutter. She then held out a hoof with a welcoming smile "We hope that thou can forgiveth our outburst and assumption, Sir Cuatro. It is a pleasure to meet with thee face-to-face! We art Luna, Princess of the Night! We're responsible for raising and lowering the moon!" She spoke in a strong, but polite tone. This further stunned the strange alicorn as he continued to stare.

"The-...She monitors the moon? Why wasn't I informed of this sooner?"

Cuatro stared long enough before he snapped himself out of his trance and shook Luna's outstretched hoof with one of his own "Likewise..." He replied almost hesitantly.

Celestia watched the two shake hooves before she spoke up "Now that you have arrived, Luna, we can begin our dinner, as well as our discussion."

Luna nodded "Of course!" She trotted over and sat herself next to her older sister on her left "Shall we begin the meeting, Tia? We're already intrigued with this new guest..."

Celestia replied "Yes, we shall." She turned to the butler with a nod, and the elderly pony trotted off through the door leading to the kitchen. The solar princess then looked back at the seated guests, namely Cuatro "Now, about Cuatro's amnesia...I apologize once more that my memory spell was not effective in helping you."

Cuatro shifted his eyes to Celestia "Think nothing of it, you've tried at least..." He tried to steal a glance at Luna, but was completely aware that all eyes were on him "So what do you have planned for this problem, your majesty?"

Celestia kept her gaze on Cuatro. An image of the pale bipedal figure from before pointing a finger came into her mind. Green energy formed at the tip of his pointed finger while he stared with his soulless eyes. She then casted away the image and spoke "It may seem unorthodox, irrelevant even, but I have two alternatives suitable for your needs..."

Cuatro blinked "Oh? And what does it involve?"

Celestia replied "Tell me, Cuatro...During your moment of amnesia, have you came across anything familiar while you were in Ponyville?"

Cuatro shook his head "Not that I am fully aware of...But I have recovered certain fragments during my stay..."

Celestia grew slightly tense at the answer "Do you care to share them with us?"

Cuatro looked around to see everypony curious about his answer. He sighed to himself before he spoke "They are only words, but I can piece together a theory of what I've gathered. What I remember is being affiliated with a ruler of sorts, living in a land considered unfamiliar to even Twilight Sparkle. There was also a certain individual with an exotic name that I feel connected to somehow..."

Pinkie piped up "And don't forget that awesome Sonido thingy!! He can go REALLY fast with it, too!!"

Spike was the next to speak "That and he said something about an 'Ichigo' of sorts...I still don't even know what that is!"

Celestia took in the answers with a slow nod 'He's close to discovering the important points with his progress...This won't do at all...' She then held out a hoof "I'm well aware that you are staying in Ponyville, correct? Who exactly have you stayed with before arriving here?"

Cuatro instantly replied "I have stayed at Sweet Apple Acres the first night, and Ponyville library the next...I remained in the library solely for the purpose of rediscovering unicorn magic and manifesting its power for when I need to defend myself..."

Luna frowned "A pity that thou hast to go through learning magic again. If need be, we can offer thee access to the royal library if thou wisheth to expand thy knowledge!"

While they talked, Twilight was confused on Celestia's current mood and spoke "Princess, is something wrong? What do you have planned for Cuatro?"

Before Celestia could answer, the elderly butler trotted back into the banquet hall, followed by several chefs wheeling in several carts containing succulent food on silver platters. They approached the table and set the platters down on them, distancing themselves from the guests as the butler spoke with a bow "Dinner is served, everypony." He said in a coarse, but polite tone. The chefs then made themselves scarce as they trotted back into the kitchen.

Pinkie grinned at each of the meals and giggled. Celestia saw this and smiled "You are all free to enjoy your meals." Pinkie cheered and dug into a large marble cake brought in by one of the chefs. The others selected their own meals and politely ate to their heart's content. While Celestia took a bite of her waldorf salad, she stole a glance at Cuatro drinking his tea 'I can only wonder what could be the best course of action for him...' The solar princess needed time to think before she could voice her own opinion.

Cuatro finished sipping his tea and turned to look at Luna eating a plate of fine scalloped Au gratin potatoes with poise and grace. He was lucky that nopony wasn't paying much attention while he looked at the Princess of the Night. While he stared, a feeling welled up inside of him that seemed completely alien to his cold and dispassionate demeanor.

"...Luna..."

To be continued...

PreviousChapters Next