• Published 25th Aug 2012
  • 23,129 Views, 2,971 Comments

Cuatro - Dirty Bit



How can one feel empty in a world full of friends?

  • ...
67
 2,971
 23,129

PreviousChapters Next
Capitulo Cuarenta y Cuatro

Capitulo Cuarenta y Cuatro

Change

At Canterlot castle, the vast black shockwave was seen from Celestia's tower, where the whole group chose to spectate the match from. Rainbow Dash felt her heart sink as she stared at it "Whoa, did anypony else feel that?" She asked curiously.

Spike held a claw to his stomach "Yeah...It's like something's filling me with sadness...What's Ulquiorra doing out there?"

Celestia stared with a knowing glance "Segunda Etapa..." Everypony looked at her "Ulquiorra held a special skill back when he was an arrancar; the ability to change his appearance with more power. He started out with his regular arrancar form, and changes into a stronger form known as his resurrección."

Twilight looked up "Resurrection? That seems deep...So he's in his true form?" She stated after translating the term.

Celestia continued "What makes Ulquiorra a formidable opponent in battle is that he is the only arrancar to carry a second form that draws out the entirety of his power. His resurrección is known as Murciélago, and his second form is known as Segunda Etapa, where his energy is so powerful, that it would bring despair to his enemies if they were to witness it up close..." She looked down wistfully.

Luna frowned "Thou hath witnessed his power for thyself..." She looked out into the fields at the vast shockwave and held a sad expression 'Ulquiorra...Dost thou still feel despair after all that we've done for thee?'
_____

Goldoa felt heavy despite him growing used to the shockwave around him 'This power...It's unlike anything I've ever seen! My opponent is something else...' He thought respectfully, though was not ready to bow out. He looked ahead at Ulquiorra in his Segunda Etapa form "Your power is intriguing...Ulquiorra, was it? Maybe there's more to you than meets the eye!" He called out as he unfurled his wings and readied his claws.

Ulquiorra stared "You've yet to see what I can do in this form before I end your life..." He said as he blurred out with his Sonido. Before Goldoa could pinpoint his position, he roared when he felt a powerful force crash into his right side, quickly pushing him towards the mountains with ease as he crashed into a pile of snow and rubble.

Goldoa emerged from the pile and looked around for Ulquiorra. He noticed him appear in front of him while hovering "You!!" Goldoa attempted to strike at him with his right claw, only to have it easily stopped again.

Ulquiorra quickly spun around to have his tail smack Goldoa across the head, knocking him out of the snow pile as he skidded across the plains. He watched Goldoa struggle to get up, and felt himself hesitate again.

Goldoa turned his head at Ulquiorra and growled at him; there was a deep mark where the former espada slammed his tail on the side of his head. The dragon unfurled his wings and he flew upward, turning to face Ulquiorra as he went to dive at him. Ulquiorra countered by charging up a Cero Oscuras, and it shot up at Goldoa when he got close, striking him in the chest where his many stab wounds laid, intensifying the pain as he was blown back from the blast.

Goldoa recovered and roared in anger as he blew a jet of fire down at Ulquiorra. The former espada perked up and narrowly avoided the stream that melted the snow and singed the ground below it. He studied Goldoa and watched him inhale to breathe another jet of fire, deciding to fly upwards until he reached the dragon's level of altitude.

Ulquiorra stared at Goldoa, and then activated his horn as he conjured a Lanza del Relampago at his side, ready to use it as a melee weapon for his fight.

"This shall be over soon...I mustn't let this battle go on..."

Goldoa growled before blowing more fire at Ulquiorra, who easily banked to the left in the air and closed the distance between the two with his radiant lance pointed forward. When he noticed, Goldoa ceased his fire and went to grasp his right claw over the Lanza del Relampago when it got close to him 'The same trick won't work twice on me! I'll just simply grab his spear and-'

The pain and shock were both nearly unbearable for Goldoa to handle when his claw made contact with Ulquiorra's lance. At the touch of it, the lance had caused the dragon's claw to disintegrate into nothingness as if it were a drawing being erased from paper; Goldoa could not even roar over how painful losing his claw had felt.

Ulquiorra drew back his Lanza del Relampago while Goldoa distanced himself as he clutched the profusely bleeding wound on his arm "A wrong move on your part...It may have worked before with an earlier opponent, but my Lanza del Relampago cannot be blocked so easily head-on. You've lost a claw for your mistake..." Ulquiorra chided.

Goldoa snarled in pain while gazing upon his opponent "How!? How are you able to exert so much power in one weapon!?" He called out, overwhelmed by Ulquiorra's technique and how he was effortlessly wielding it.

Ulquiorra furrowed his brow "How indeed..." He flew towards Goldoa, who flew backward while the former espada came closer as he readied his lance for an oncoming strike.

Goldoa could not believe he was backing away from a small pony who appeared to have an immense amount of power inside of him. He knew the princesses had divine power of their own, but the alicorn in front of him appeared to be stronger than both of them combined. He grunted and stopped himself as he blew another jet of fire at Ulquiorra. Goldoa may have underestimated his opponent to the point where he lost one of his claws, but that doesn't mean that he would run from his own challenge. He needed to remember that he was a dragon; a powerful creature that has been around since before Equestria's birth.

Ulquiorra flew to the right and easily dodged the fire "It's no use..." He said as he readied his lance as he drew near Goldoa. He approached the dragon's left shoulder and raised his lance to quickly bring it down in a chop. The lance's broad edge easily sliced through Goldoa's skin and tore through his bone until it cut off the left arm entirely.

Goldoa nearly felt hazy over the amount of blood that he lost in his fight. Had he really bit off more than he could chew? He bared his fangs and tried to muscle through the intense pain in his body as he spun around to swing his mighty tail at Ulquiorra, only to have that easily chopped off as well when it came close to him. The pain was now too much to bear as he turned to face the former espada. Goldoa saw what appeared to be Ulquiorra preparing his lance for the final blow, only to have it vanish in front of his eyes.

Ulquiorra stared at Goldoa and his many battle wounds. His injuries combined with his blood loss had compelled him to descend towards the snow-covered ground, with Ulquiorra following after him. When they touched the surface, Goldoa's hindlegs sank into the snow as he dropped to his knees while Ulquiorra easily stood while staring up at the wounded mass in front of him "You have been defeated..." He proclaimed bluntly,

Goldoa coughed "Y-You...You're different from what has been brought into Equestria in the past...A being like you shouldn't even exist." He gurgled; his body sagged and drooped forward as more of his strength was drained from himself.

Ulquiorra did not change his expression as he looked up at Goldoa, but then his eyes lidded "You are correct..." Goldoa could not muster a surprised expression upon the former espada's reply "In fact, I also consider myself an oddity to this world, even without my memories..."

Goldoa groaned "Memories? Wait..." He muttered "You told me that you went by a different name before changing it today. Were you...somepony else?"

Ulquiorra nodded "I was...And it was an otherworldly experience to discover what this world had to offer while pondering the means of my existence here...This place has nearly changed the way I think. A hint to this fact was my hesitation in battle..." He explained in a straight tone.

Goldoa stared before he hacked and coughed again. It soon gave way to a weak fit of laughter "So...you're really not like them..." His body slumped forward even further "For as long as I lived, I despised ponies...especially you for your atrocious act of besmirching my kind's name..."

Ulquiorra closed his eyes "And you showed absolute disregard to my reason and chose to be headstrong in your ideals above all else..." He opened his eyes and stared up at Goldoa "An admirable trait if you were representing a group, but all you've done was force me into defeating you in order to preserve the safety of Ponyville and everypony inside of it..."

Goldoa uttered a weak scoff "You wouldn't understand...A dragon remains prideful to the end, even if the odds are against them; I was only foolish not to fathom your power before challenging you. This battle has convinced me that your very presence here means trouble for those around you, friend and foe alike..." He coughed as his wounds leaked more blood, staining the snow around him and turning it into a bright red.

Ulquiorra took in Goldoa's words, and felt his own heart sink when he contemplated them "I-..." He looked down "So, even if I'm victorious...I'll only endanger those I hold dear in the future?" Ulquiorra said to himself as he thought about his friends and Luna.

Goldoa grunted "If you were a dragon, you would be worshipped, hated, loved, and feared...But you're entirely different from any pony I've seen in my time..." He inhaled deeply as he coughed again "I don't know how you ponies think, but I believe that they are too naive to accept one such as yourself...The power within yourself labels you as nothing more than a pariah to your own kind..."

Ulquiorra was silent as he heard Goldoa's words. He did not know if he was complimenting or berating him, but he did touch on a vital issue. What would happen if he were to use his powers at the wrong time, forcibly or otherwise? He shook his head when he remembered the ponies that accepted him "You're wrong..." Ulquiorra looked back up at Goldoa.

"It may have been as you've said so in the past - I even thought as such - but many ponies have come to accept me, even if I'm unlike anypony they're familiar with. There may come a time where my power proves a hindrance to my friends, but this is not one of them...I was brought here by your stubbornness and pride after I've spared the lives of your fellow dragons. All you're doing right now is running at the mouth as your life is coming to an end..." Ulquiorra furrowed his brow "I will continue to live on and experience this new life bestowed upon me, and I'll make sure that those that I hold dear remain protected from any danger..."

Goldoa stared at Ulquiorra as he stood tall, his resolve showing in his seemingly dispassionate eyes. He groaned in pain "Your conviction is commendable, but my words still stand...Even if I'm defeated, I will carry my pride to the grave. As for yourself...I'd hate to be you if your power ended up being the very destruction of Equestria..." He grunted as he slid even further, hacking up blood in his jaws "My time...has come..." Goldoa cast a weak glance at Ulquiorra, no malice in his eyes "I started this match, now it is up to you to finish it...Give me...an honorable death...here...on this battlefield..." He uttered in a withering tone.

Ulquiorra stared in silence at the sight of Goldoa about to pass away; there was a faint sense of pain in his heart over watching what he had done to him. It even reminded him of how he passed on himself. Regardless, he knew the exact terms of Goldoa's challenge.

"...There is nothing I can do now...He barely has the strength to walk..."

The former espada lit up his horn, the green aura shifting to black as he prepared for the final blow "You will be remembered for your pride as a dragon...Goodbye, Goldoa..." He blasted his Cero Oscuras, and when it collided with the dragon's chest, it tore through the wounds that revealed his underbelly behind the scales and razed through his chest until the beam burst out through his back, tearing through some of the bone structure of his wings.

Goldoa was now a lifeless husk that hung with a gaping hole in his sternum, and his corpse fell forward as it brought up a flurry of snow that was carried by the winds. Some of it blew around Ulquiorra as he gazed upon the corpse in front of him for what felt like an eternity, mulling over Goldoa's dying words.

"...I cannot be a problem to this world...I won't let it happen..."

While he tried to believe his own words, he looked over at the distant city of Canterlot and thought back to his friends. He thought he noticed a blue speck inching towards him in the distance.

"I should hurry back to Canterlot, now that this battle is over..."

Ulquiorra gave one last look at Goldoa's corpse before he unfurled his wings and blurred out with his Sonido, leaving behind the body of a once proud and powerful elder dragon.
_____

The Cero Oscuras was seen from Canterlot Castle until it vanished. Spike looked out from the railings "Whoa! Check it out!" He said in an awestruck tone.

Twilight examined the attack and thought to herself "That looked like one of Ulquiorra's ceros..." She looked up at Celestia "Isn't it?"

Celestia nodded "You're correct, Twilight, though it was no ordinary cero. What Ulquiorra had performed is what could be considered 'his' cero: A Cero Oscuras."

Twilight looked over at the field and noticed no activity going on after moments have passed "Nothing's happening..."

Applejack frowned "So it's over then? What could be keepin' Ulquiorra?"

Luna stared out into the vast plains in silence, then unfurled her wings as she took off from the balcony, much to everypony's surprise.

Twilight held out a hoof "Princess Luna! What are you-" A hoof rested on Twilight's shoulder, and she looked up to see Celestia, who shook her head.

"Let her go, Twilight. She'll come back soon..." Celestia stated in a calm tone.

Rainbow Dash stared out at Luna's shrinking figure "Is she that worried about Ulquiorra? I mean, he's a super strong stallion, isn't he? He'll come back for us in a heartbeat!"

Princess Celestia smiled to herself "Even the strong need assistance, Rainbow Dash. Just give Luna some time..." She said as the group watched the princess of the night fly out into the plains.
_____

Princess Luna frowned to herself as she flew across the sky, thinking about Ulquiorra as she went 'Could he be seriously injured? Or is something keeping him from returning to us?'

She figured that her words had reached Ulquiorra that morning; Luna even saw the look in his eyes when she stated how the former espada had decided with his heart for the first time. It was intuition at the moment, but Luna knew that something was wrong with Ulquiorra.

While she flew, a figure blurred in front of her, causing her to stop in her flight as she gasped in surprise. She looked into the eerie yellow eyes of a different alicorn and the blackness that trailed from his eyes that resembled tears. The very look in his eyes made her uncomfortable since it brought memories of his time with Celestia "U-Ulquiorra?"

Ulquiorra stared in silence until eyes were restored to their normal green as the blackness on his cheeks faded away "Luna...Have I kept you waiting?" He said as he hovered with Luna in the air.

Luna stared until a smile came onto her face "For a time." She frowned in concern "Art thou injured?"

Ulquiorra shook his head "My physical condition is satisfactory as always...I've only lost a foreleg in my fight with Goldoa..."

Luna widened her eyes "What!?!" She blurted out, dumbstruck over what she had just heard.

The former espada noted the surprise on his loved one's face and realized she was not aware of all his abilities "As an arrancar, I am able to regenerate any of my body parts except for my organs at an incredible rate, thus giving me a higher advantage in battle..."

Luna was amazed by what was told "Thou art a most intriguing stallion, Ulquiorra...And to think that there lies such immeasurable power within thyself." At the mention of power, Ulquiorra looked away, his frown deepening as he looked despondent to Luna's eyes "Ulquiorra? What troubles thee?" She asked in a concerned tone.

"Luna..." Ulquiorra said reluctantly "With my power...will I put all of Equestria in danger?" He turned to face her "Could my presence here mean despair to those around me?"

Luna stared at Ulquiorra and studied the look in his eyes; he was both sad and serious in his question. She gave him a comforting smile "Ulquiorra, we've been over this. Thou hast many friends waiting to welcome thee back at Canterlot, and they cannot wait any longer. All of us hath grown accustomed to thy presence and we could not be happier to consider thee one of us." She leaned in further with a loving gaze "And most of all, thou art our beloved...We would not steer thee wrong with our words, Moon Shield..." Luna closed in and kissed Ulquiorra as he returned it in kind.

After their lips parted, Ulquiorra stared at Luna as she smiled back at him. He owed Luna so much for all of her help, from encouraging him to stay with and learn from his friends to her divine intervention of when he was Cuatro and not Ulquiorra. In fact, he felt that while he wasn't himself at the time, he felt more connected to his friends and Luna than he ever was to any living being; even Lord Aizen.

While he was Cuatro, he admitted that he felt happy despite him not showing it to his friends. Luna's words had lifted his spirits, and combined with her infectious smile, it had given his new heart so much warmth as opposed to the chilling cold in his previous life. When he stared at Luna for so long, what was considered to be both impossible and improbable to Ulquiorra had finally happened to him...

He smiled.

To be concluded...

Author's Note:

Welp, he did it! The universe is done for, everypony!!

Sillyness aside, I've one more chapter to go before this story's wrapped up. Stay tuned for the epilogue, folks!

Enjoy the chapter! Peace! :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next