• Published 25th Aug 2012
  • 23,133 Views, 2,971 Comments

Cuatro - Dirty Bit



How can one feel empty in a world full of friends?

  • ...
67
 2,971
 23,133

PreviousChapters Next
Capitulo Veintisiete

Capitulo Veintisiete

Confrontation

The ponies in the crowd away from Cuatro and his friends murmured amongst themselves, most of the murmurs being questions on how the strange alicorn would handle the situation himself.

Garble and the other dragons turned to face Cuatro with their own expressions of confusion before the red dragon glared "What do you want!?"

Spike was surprised to see Cuatro appear in his time of need "Cuatro! How did you know we were in trouble?"

Cuatro remained calm as he spoke "Fluttershy's pet rabbit gave us the details, though it took time to distinguish him properly. But that does not matter now..." He stared at the dragons "May I ask what you are doing here in Ponyville?"

Garble crossed his arms "What do you care? This is none of your business!!"

Cuatro stared before he spoke "You looked ready to harm my friends...This is my business in more ways than one...Who are you and why are you here?"

Garble snorted "Big talk coming from a little pony!! Why don't you run off before you get hurt!?"

With how the red dragon spoke to him, Cuatro already found his behavior to be more than intolerable. He looked upon his cohorts trying to toss threatening gazes his way before he spoke up "It seems that you did not hear me the first time, so I'll ask you again...Who are you and why are you here?"

Twilight blurted out "These are dragons Spike hung out with a long time ago! They want revenge on him and us for running away from them before!"

Cuatro shifted his eyes at Twilight before looking back at the three dragons "Really...And what do you hope to accomplish from this petty act of revenge? Did they do something that was considered deplorable in your eyes? Was there a type of disagreement in the past?" He pressed on with his questions, unaware that he began to annoy Garble as he bared his fangs.

The red dragon snarled "It doesn't matter to you, so just butt out already!! Unless you want us to take you down, too!!"

Cuatro was unphased by Garble lashing out at him and took another step forward "Am I loathe to think that you're entirely focused on revenge through pain? Are we past the point of conversation?" He heard a whimper and noticed how Fluttershy was huddled behind him, shivering at the tension of the current conflict.

Garble pointed a claw "Why won't you just shut up already!? Do all ponies nitpick like you or something!?"

Pinkie answered absentmindedly "Well, that's usually Twilight when she's busy learning about stuff!" She gave an awkward grin when she noticed the aforementioned unicorn glaring at her.

Cuatro spoke up "Clearly you are both impatient and eager about your goals...I only wish to avoid any meaningless conflict through a proper conversation. Would you not listen to what I have to say, so that we can act maturely on this situation?"

Garble stared, then snicked before he bursted out into defiant laughter "What do you take us for!? In case you haven't noticed, we're dragons! We don't need to listen to you at all!!" He approached Cuatro and poked a claw at his chest, leering at him as he continued "In fact, you're in no position to negotiate when we have personal business to take care of!! You're already putting me in a bad mood right now, so this is your last chance to scram while I give these dorks a proper thrashing!"

The brown dragon chimed in with a grunt "Yeah!! Beat it before we beat you!!"

Cuatro stared at Garble in silence before he spoke once again "Then I shall act as tribute in their place..."

Spike and the element bearers gasped as Twilight nearly shouted "Cuatro, what are you saying!? You can't do this!!"

Cuatro shifted his eyes at Twilight "I am only doing what is right, Twilight...Clearly, these dragons are entirely fixated on delusions of revenge. Moreso, I only wish to carry out my promise to protect you all from danger, no matter what..."

Garble narrowed his eyes to slits "You're seriously gonna place yourself in front of all these ponies? Are you stupid or something!?"

Cuatro stared back at the red dragon without any change in expression "Far from it...I am the Moon Shield, Cuatro..."

The purple dragon scratched his head "Moon Shield? That's...pretty lame, if you asked me..." He surprisingly flinched when he noticed Cuatro shift his gaze on him, the look in his catlike eyes somehow boring into his soul.

Garble scoffed "Alright-" He put on a silly face with a voice to match "Moon Shield~!!" He glared again "Since you're obviously wanting to go down in a blaze of glory, I guess you'll make better sport than all of these namby pamby ponies combined!! Heck, I'll even let you decide where you wanna die since you care about them so much!!"

Cuatro nodded "Thank you for your act of kindness..." He looked around before he noticed the vast field outside of Ponyville where he first practiced his cero "That field over there shall suffice, given your species aggresive tendencies...Dragons are fierce creatures in nature, correct?"

Garble smirked "Damn right we are!! Now why don't you get moving? We ain't getting any younger!!" Cuatro unfurled his wings and soared into the air without a word, and the three dragons followed after him.

Twilight and her friends saw this and turned to the others "Everypony! We have to follow them!"

Fluttershy whimpered "I can't believe Cuatro would do that on his own...What if he gets hurt?"

Spike watched Cuatro and the dragons leave "To be honest, I don't know who to feel sorry for...Cuatro's pretty strong, you know!"

Rainbow Dash hovered over her friends "Not to mention he's faster than me! Maybe he can nip this fight in the bud in no time at all!"

Applejack chimed in "If anythin', we oughta be there fer 'im since he was there fer us! Let's get goin', y'all!" She said as the element bearers and Spike ran towards the snowy plains.
_____

Cuatro and the dragons landed in the snow and stared each other down. Each of the dragons growled as they looked at threatening as possible, whereas Cuatro did not show any reaction towards their attempts. Garble cracked his knuckled as he glared at his new prey "Any last words before me and my friends beat you to a pulp?"

Cuatro closed his eyes "I would like to say that I did not want it to come to this...I was under the impression that despite your obvious ferocity, you all were mature dragons and could have settled this quarrel without resorting to violence...When this is over, if we all manage to end this battle soon enough, I hope that we may see past this fight and view each other as both equals and friends..."

Garble stared before he snarled "I don't know if you're acting smug or not, but it doesn't matter now! You're mine!!" He unfurled his wings and darted towards Cuatro with his claws ready to swipe at him.

Cuatro kept his eyes closed, and he opened them the moment Garble got close to him and effortlessly dodged each of Garble's attacks. The red dragon roared with each attempt while Cuatro remained both silent and composed as he continued to dodge. As he dodged, something went through his mind.

"I feel as if I've done this before...This one's spirit reminds me of somepony...But who...?"

Feeling as if he had dodged enough, Cuatro winked out with his Sonido, instantly confusing Garble and causing him to halt, then reappeared a small distance away from him as he spoke "Can you tell me your name? It is only proper that I know who my opponent is..."

Garble noticed Cuatro and growled "I don't have to tell you!! Now shut up and fight already!!" He resumed his onslaught while Cuatro easily dodged more of his attacks. The red dragon was instantly infuriated with how his opponent was not fighting back and tried to provoke him "Why won't you fight back!? Are you chicken or something?"

Cuatro continued to dodge as he replied "In truth, I am reluctant to on account of the seemingly destructive capabilities of my magic...Moreso, I only wish to further my lesson on kindness by resolving this conflict and working out a proper solution for both of us. Though I volunteered to act in place of my friends does not entirely mean that I would fulfill your desire to fight back..."

Garble ran out of energy with each attempt of attacking Cuatro and stopped to catch his breath as he glared daggers at the strange alicorn "That's just like you stupid ponies! Always choosing to wuss out whenever a fight's about to start!! You're fast, but if anything you're a coward!!"

Cuatro stood as he stared back at Garble "Know that I am no coward...Also, not everypony in Equestria would dream of a world with constant fighting...If it would make you feel better, I will actually fight back so that you would not feel so unsatisfied with me..."

Garble scoffed "I'll bet your namby pamby pony princess talks the same way in these kinds of situation!!"

Cuatro blinked "Which one? Celestia or Luna?"

Garble regained his energy as he arched an eyebrow "You serious? Does it even matter!? That's another thing I don't like about you ponies! I'll bet you feel so protected by your princesses that you think that they'll just swoop down and save you when you need help! But you wanna know what I think? I think they're just as weak, pathetic, ugly, and stupid as every other pony in existence!!"

He continued to rant about ponies, but unbeknownst to Garble, Cuatro began to hold a familiar feeling with how he continued to badmouth the princesses, namely Luna. It was the same feeling he discovered when he conversed with Celestia and how she dodged some of his questions. It grew worse as Garble continued without missing a beat.

He was angry.

Cuatro calmly trotted up to Garble as he spoke, and his horn activated, wrapping the red dragon in a magical green aura and silencing him as he looked with widened eyes "What the-!?"

The strange alicorn's eyes were slightly narrowed as he held Garble in his grasp, and he raised a foreleg as he stared "...I will not have you speak ill of Princess Luna..." He uttered in his usual tone, though the contempt was beyond detectable. After slightly reeling it back, Cuatro dropped his magic and shot his forehoof forward and it instantly connected with Garble's chest, even cracking some of the thick yellow scales in his underbelly.

Garble's eyes bulged out, and he hacked up some blood before he shot across the snowy plains like a bullet before crashing horribly into a patch of trees by the Everfree Forest. There was a small explosion of bark when he connected with the trees.

Both of Garble's friends were slackjawed at Cuatro's action, the purple dragon raising his hair with a claw to show his widened eyes.

Cuatro waited patiently for Garble to recover, knowing that dragons were strong and resilient in nature. There was the sound of shifting branches before the red dragon shot up and glowered down at Cuatro, a small trickle of blood seen from his jaws "Lucky shot..." He growled deeply before he let out a roar similar to a battlecry and flew down towards the strange alicorn.

Cuatro, with his anger contained, anticipated his opponent's rash move and dodged to the left before he gave a small hook to Garble's jaw with his right forehoof. He watched his opponent soar across the air before he managed to recover at a large distance, and could not help but feel that how he was fighting grew more familiar with him.

"...That's right...I was a supposed murderer in my past...But I musn't focus on that now..."

Garble roared as he went at him again, but he stopped when he figured he'll only be met with the same results. He turned to his friends and shouted "Quake! Boil! Gimme a hand here!!"

At his command, Garble's friends flew into the fray, content with knowing that Cuatro would be outnumbered. All three dragons flew at the strange alicorn and surrounded him in a triangular formation. Feeling that he was finally cornered, they all rushed in on him, but Cuatro winked out with his Sonido, causing all three dragons to crash into each other. He appeared over the dazed trio and watched them recover.

Quake felt he was being messed with and chose to fly up behind Cuatro and grab him in a hold, smiling triumphantly and bellowing "Hah! Gotcha!" Cuatro did not say a word as he remained still.

Garble saw his friend's success and grinned "Nice one, Quake! Keep 'im there!!" He flew up and hovered in front of Cuatro "Not so tough now, are you!?" He brought back a claw "Now it's payback time!!"

Cuatro stared at Garble before he shifted his eyes at Quake and lifted himself back, causing Quake to be taken by surprise as he was flipped upside down in front of Garble while he was holding Cuatro. The brown dragon roared in pain when he felt a balled claw dig into his back. The pain was enough for him to release his hold on Cuatro, who flipped rightside up and decided to whack both Garble and Quake into the ground with his large tail, hitting them both at the same time.

They flew down and crashed hard into the ground, causing two small dragon-shaped craters as Boil watched in horror. He looked up at Cuatro and began to shake as he stared down at him "Y-You wouldn't..." He flinched when the stange alicorn disappeared then reappeared right in front of Boil, causing him to yelp.

Cuatro stared "Do you wish to continue this fight??" He asked inquisitively. Boil shivered before he shook his head frantically "You've made a wise decision..." He heard groaning, and Cuatro looked back to see Garble and Quake lift themselves out of their self-made craters. He turned and faced the wounded dragons and stared them down "Your friend chose to stop fighting...Can I trust you to come to the same decision? I fear you're exhausting your energy..."

Garble turned his head away to spit some blood before glaring at Cuatro again "No way!! I'm not gonna be made a fool of twice!! You're dead meat!!"

Quake glared at Cuatro as well "I'm right behind ya!! I still got plenty of energy to take you out!!"

Cuatro stared, and Boil distanced himself sheepishly as the strange alicorn looked back at Garble. While he fought, he was gaining a familiar feel of battle, and for the first time, actually spoke with an entirely emotionless tone "...Have it your way..." He winked out with his Sonido, and reappeared beside Quake as he zoomed across in the air and grabbed his head with his forehooves. He dragged the brown dragon across the plains for a moment before he tossed him at another patch of trees near the Everfree forest, causing a larger explosion of bark than the last.

Quake managed to recover on the pile of broken trees and prepared to bolt back to face his opponent, but he did not know Cuatro appeared behind him in the air, positioning himself to buck the brown dragon's back with his hind legs. He did so, connecting with Quake's back with a sickening crack and launching him towards Garble at bullet speed while he roared in surprise, the two crashing into each other furiously as Quake landed on top of the red dragon.

Garble grunted in pain after being crushed under Quake's weight and pushed him off as he went to recover. He looked to see that his friend was somehow knocked out by Cuatro's surprise attack, and felt his heart race as he assessed the situation 'Are we seriously getting our tails handed to us by ONE pony!? Since when was a pony THIS strong!?' He coughed in pain with how he sustained so much damage from the fight, and he staggered in his recovery as he lifted himself up.

Boil ran to Quake's side and inspected him before turning to Garble in fright "We gotta get outta here! We already lost Quake to this guy!!"

Garble flinched in pain as he lifted himself up "No way! I'm not gonna back down from this fight and lose to a pony! Just because he got a few shots in doesn't mean he'll take me down so easily!"

Cuatro blurred into existence in front of Garble the moment he stood on his hind legs, staring at him with his soulless eyes in silence. He wrapped the end of his long tail around Garble's neck and lifted him up, gradually crushing his windpipe as the red dragon suffocated in his grasp. Garble gripped at Cuatro's tail while he suffered under Cuatro's grip, flailing his legs as he felt more air escape his throat.

Boil watched helplessly as Cuatro stared up at Garble, taking his time with how the red dragon suffered. As he fought with the dragons, Cuatro was unaware that he was losing touch with reality as he spoke in a semi-conscious state "Look at you..." He heard Garble gag as he stared back at Cuatro with fear in his eyes "I cannot believe you would even choose to fight me without even acknowledging my words...Such callous and deplorable behavior from a creature like you...You do not deserve to live..."

As Cuatro berated Garble, Twilight and her friends finally made it to see him holding the red dragon with his tail, while Boil watched in terror. They gasped at the sight, not expecting to see their friend act this way. Fluttershy was the most devastated with how she noticed a different look in his eyes: One that was actually devoid of any emotions rather than how she and the others saw him.

Cuatro was unaware of his friends' presence as his horn began to glow "You lost this battle...You have no one to blame but yourself...If you live through this, you shall use what is left of your energy and leave this place at once...If not...then I believe that this is the supposed end you were waiting for in this fight..." His horn glew brighter as Garble felt his life flash through his eyes "...Goodbye..."

Twilight witnessed his actions with widened eyes 'No...That's not Cuatro...That can't be Cuatro at all! Was-...Was Princess Celestia right to send the elements to us!?'

Fluttershy watched and whimpered "C-Cuatro...Please stop..." She felt she was not loud enough as she raised her voice "You shouldn't be doing this...You're supposed to be kind...our friend...Please stop..." Tears began to stream down her face as she watched Cuatro continue unabated. When his horn reached its maximum charged, she clenched her eyes shut, wanting to wish this never happened

"STOOOOP!!!"

Cuatro blinked before he heard the sound of Fluttershy's voice, the glow of his horn receding as he held Garble. He looked to see his friends and their many expressions of shock at his actions. The strange alicorn was confused before he looked to see he was holding Garble with his tail, his pupils slightly shrinking.

"Wait...I remember I was fighting the dragons after they angered me...But...I do not remember resorting to extreme measures like this...Have I really caused so much pain?"

To make sure of his thoughts, he looked around and noticed a battered Quake laying unconscious in the snow, and Boil on the verge of collapsing from seeing Cuatro nearly killing his friend. He then looked back at his friends and their shock once more before focusing back on Garble choking. He stared for a moment before he released his grip on the red dragon, letting him drop to the ground as he coughed and gasped for air while holding his neck.

"I've neglected my lessons in kindness...I believe it is time for me to apologize to them, though it will not be easy..."

He took a step forward towards Garble and looked down at him "It is inappropriate for me to say such a thing after what has happened, but I was clearly not myself back there..." He held out a foreleg towards Garble "I would kindly ask for your forgiveness for my-"

Garble swatted his hoof away and inched himself from Cuatro as he tried to focus a glare, though fear had overwhelmed him "Stay back!!! J-Just stay back! Stay away from me, you freak!!!" His voice cracked as he tried catching his breath.

Cuatro was taken aback by how Garble was acting, and placed his hoof down as he looked down at him in silence.

"...I'm beyond forgiveness for him and the others...What will I do now??"

The strange alicorn looked over to see Boil tried lifting up Quake's unconscious body as he grunted "C'mon, Quake! Get up! You're stronger than this!!"

Cuatro began to feel more than guilty for what he had done, then turned to his friends "Everypony...I didn't mean for this to escalate so quickly...I'm sorry for all of this...I really am..." He looked to see Fluttershy stare at him with tears streaming down her eyes "Fluttershy..." Cuatro took a step towards her, only to see her gasp and take a step back.

Applejack cautiously trotted up to Fluttershy's side, comforting her as she kept an eye on Cuatro "Are ya sure y'all 're alright, Cuatro? Please tell us th' truth..."

Cuatro stared at how her friends were acting, and he looked down before he spoke up again "It was wrong of me to act this way...I only wanted to protect you all from danger...I tried to reason with them, and somehow, they provoked me...Then as I fought..." He looked down at the snow as his voice disappeared without a trace.

"Was I even aware of what had happened after I asked for the dragons to stop fighting?"

Applejack stared for a moment before she trotted up to Cuatro, lifting a hoof to his chin "Then what happened?" She asked in a comforting tone.

Cuatro stared at Applejack, and remembered the same mare that took him in and introduced him to the rest of Ponyville. He sighed "I...I don't know...I must have blacked out somehow as I pressed on during the fight...I'm uncertain as to how this came to be...But I really am sorry, to all of you, even the dragons..."

Applejack stared before she grabbed Cuatro in a hug, taking the strange alicorn by surprise. She then looked at him with a smile "Apology accepted, sugarcube...Ya told yer story an' yer pretty honest about it..." She looked over at the dragons, and how they recovered before they tried to lift Quake "Dunno what to think 'bout this, though..."

Fluttershy wiped the tears from her eyes before she trotted up to Cuatro and got a good look at him up close. Cuatro stared back and wondered if he should actually say something to her after what he had supposedly done. He was once again taken by surprise when he was hugged by her. She buried her face in his chest as she did so "Fluttershy, I-..."

The timid mare lifted her face from Cuatro's chest as more tears leaked from her eyes "I know you didn't mean it, Cuatro...Just please try not to do it again? P-Please?" She sniffled as she looked up at him.

Cuatro stared before he wrapped a hoof around Fluttershy to return the embrace, content to know that she was willing to forgive him for his rash actions "I will..."

Rainbow Dash recovered from her shock to look over at the dragons "Hey! They're getting away!!" She blurted out.

Cuatro looked up at Rainbow Dash "Let them go, Rainbow Dash..." He looked back at them "I accepted their challenge, and they're worn from battle...The least we can do is allow them safe passage back to their home..." He looked down "I put them through the worst of it..."

Twilight was next to trot up to Cuatro after she recovered from her shock "You really have, but that doesn't mean you didn't avoid fighting intentionally. I guess while you were fighting, you were also trying to learn how to be kind to others no matter what, right?"

Cuatro nodded "Yes, I have...I'm glad you do not think so horribly of me..."

Twilight winced at the dragons "Admittedly, you made quite the scene back there..." She looked up at Cuatro with a smile "...but we don't exactly hate you for it. As you said before, you were trying to protect us, right?"

Spike scampered up to Cuatro and hugged his foreleg "Thanks for helping us back there, Cuatro!! You're really something!!" The strange alicorn did not expect for even Spike to recover from his shock so quickly.

Rarity cleared her throat before she approached Cuatro with the others, Pinkie hopping behind her "We all get carried away at some point of our time, darling! If you're truly sorry about all of this, then we forgive you!" She smiled at Cuatro.

Pinkie chimed in "Yeah, even if you're a tall, powerful, and nearly-empty alicorn capable of messing up a bunch of dragons, we forgive you!" Cuatro only stared at Pinkie after her statement, realizing that at least she was willing to forgive as well.

Cuatro turned to the dragons, namely Garble, and spoke to them "I wish you a safe journey back to your homes...Hopefully we can meet again under more peaceful terms..."

Garble grunted as he lifted up Quake, then shot a glare back at Cuatro "I-I don't need your pity!!"

There was a murmur, and Garble and Boil noticed their large brown friend waking up "Hey! Quake, you're alive!" Boil shouted in relief.

Quake rubbed his head, and he looked over to see Cuatro staring back at him, flinching at his sight "Wh-What happened? You're not gonna kill us?"

Cuatro shook his head "No...I only engaged in a fight with you all, and I never actually intended for deaths of any sort...Are you capable of flying?"

Quake stared in confusion before answering "Why does it matter to you?"

Cuatro replied "Because I believe it was wrong of me to harm you when we could have worked out this problem peacefully...So can you fly?"

Quake stared at Cuatro before he tried flexing his wings "My back hurts...But I think I can-"

Garble snarled "Don't talk to this freak! We're done here!" The three dragons hovered into the air as they looked back at Cuatro and his friends. Garble leered at Cuatro "This isn't over! We'll get you back someday!!! Count on it!" He said as he and his friends flew away, leaving the plains and heading back to their land.

Cuatro stared before he turned to the others "Just to let you know...I only harmed two of the dragons...or so I remembered..."

Twilight shook her head before she smiled "I think you've had enough memory troubles for one day, Cuatro...Now why don't we go back home and relax?"

Cuatro turned to Fluttershy "What about my lesson on kindness? Was I not supposed to learn about the Magic of Friendship?"

Pinkie grinned "Well yeah! But now we gotta get back so I can throw you a 'Cuatro-saved-us-all-from-dragons' party!!"

Fluttershy smiled at Cuatro "With how you apologized to the dragons and wanted them to forgive you, I'd say you were pretty kind..." She then looked away with a frown "But...I just don't want you to fight again..." She mewled.

Cuatro looked at all his friends, then down at Spike "Even you see past what I've done, Spike?"

Spike looked up at Cuatro, then looked away in thought before he spoke "Well, granted you were kinda scary back there..." He looked backed up at Cuatro "But you did say you wanted to protect us! And it wasn't like they weren't going to just walk away, right?"

Rainbow Dash swooped down and hovered next to Cuatro with a smile "I don't know what you did to those dragons before we came here, but I'll bet you really gave them a run for their money!! You're super awesome, Cuatro!"

Cuatro looked at all of his friends smiling at him before he closed his eyes "Everypony...Thank you for your kind words..."

Pinkie piped up "That's what friends are for, Cuaty! Now let's get back to Ponyville! I got a party to plan!!" She said as she began hopping. The rest of the group followed her back to Ponyville.

As they trotted back, Cuatro looked back towards the sky where Garble and his friends took off.

"I hope that was an empty threat coming from those dragons...I don't want to go back to killing again..."

To be continued...

Author's Note:

Well, I hope I've entertained you lot with what has been shown.

Now the question remains: Do I continue the main storyline, or try and show the filler some love when I get the chance?

Well, either way, now I can go back to playing Tales of Graces F. Peace! :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next