• Published 25th Aug 2012
  • 23,133 Views, 2,971 Comments

Cuatro - Dirty Bit



How can one feel empty in a world full of friends?

  • ...
67
 2,971
 23,133

PreviousChapters Next
Capitulo Treinta y Cuatro

Capitulo Treinta y Cuatro

Treachery

(An hour earlier)

The intense light had subsided, and Cuatro brought down a wing shielded in front of him to see what has happened. He did not feel any different in mind after he had observed Celestia's magic. In fact, the only thing different was that he was in an area other than the throne room.

He looked around to see that he was now in a vast barren land; There were distant canyons, nearby boulders, and the sky was clear as day; The air was humid and the sun was seen shining up over Cuatro. After taking in his new surroundings, he looked ahead to see Celestia a short distance away with a stoic expression on her face. Cuatro obviously figured that something suspicious was going on "Princess Celestia...Where are we, and why are we here?"

Celestia replied in a calm tone "Our current location, Cuatro, is the southern badlands; Hundreds of miles away from both Canterlot and Ponyville...Here, nopony will have to bear witness to what shall take place."

Cuatro stared ahead "You're referring to your new process? It seems to me that you have other motives if you decided to bring me all the way out here...What are you planning? I would figure your second method wouldn't involve the longest relocation possible..."

Celestia nodded "You're very observant. I actually brought you here because I've heard about your latest fight. It was dreadful to know that you've nearly murdered a dragon; an adolescent, no less. It would have taken a serious toll not only on yourself, but the rest of Ponyville as well."

Cuatro kept silent before he found his voice "How did you know? Did Twilight tell you of my actions from her point of view?"

Celestia replied "Yes, but that shouldn't matter now. What I'm about to do will have to require your full cooperation..."

Cuatro had a feeling that he got more than what he bargained for by agreeing to stay with Celestia. He already felt tensed by how she seemed so calm about this whole ordeal of arriving at the southern reaches of Equestria where absolutely nopony was around. He decided to pry and see what Celestia was getting at "As long as you're truthful about restoring my memories, I shall comply...What do you desire, Princess Celestia?"

Celestia took a deep breath before she furrowed her brow "Cuatro, I wish for you to engage me in combat. I want to see your power for myself."

Now Cuatro was convinced that something was amiss "I fail to see how a repeat of my last mistake would be a profound option for retrieving my memories...Are you sure you know what you're doing?"

Celestia's expression did not change "I am entirely serious. Your power prevents me from restoring your memories. I need you to show it all to me so that I can at least ensure that my method will be successful." She said, twisting her truth without any trouble.

Cuatro gazed into Celestia's eyes and noted how she was actually ready to fight. But for what other than what she brought up? Unless she wished to punish him for his actions, there was something bothering Cuatro about the princess' request.

"What does she know about my power? More rather, why would I want to fight her?"

There was one thing that held back Cuatro from complying to Celestia, and she was waiting for him in Canterlot. He couldn't bear the weight of Luna's sorrow over seeing her sister wounded from a challenge that he accepted. Cuatro stood still and stared ahead at Celestia "...I won't do it..."

Celestia's expression went from determination to surprise "What?"

Cuatro did not waver "I said that I politely decline your challenge, and shall continue to do so for both of our sakes..."

Celestia closed her eyes 'He couldn't possibly know about the mind spell...Could he?' "May I ask why, Cuatro?"

Cuatro did not hesitate to reply "I only wish to avoid this fight because of your sister...I feel that I would pay dearly for any regretful action that I would choose to take in this situation. Not only that, but I could upset Luna to no end. I do not wish that in the slightest...and I say all of this because I love her..."

Celestia now knew full well why Luna seemed so cheerful whenever Cuatro is mentioned or around. Admittedly, she was even touched that the strange alicorn would hold such feelings for her sister and would go so far for her sake, but she knew what she had to do. She opened her eyes at Cuatro and spoke "Do you truly feel that way towards my sister, Cuatro? You love her with all of your heart?"

Cuatro nodded "I will not deny my feelings of affection towards Luna, nor will I abandon them. She has even helped me with my decision of learning the Magic of Friendship. I cannot thank her enough for what she has done for me, and I hope to do my best in seeing my lessons through..." He stated in a straight tone.

Celestia took in this information and sighed to herself "I'm honored that you would say such a thing, but I beseech you to show me your capability. There is no other way for me to approach this situation."

Cuatro shook his head "Then I will wait until another reveals itself...I'm sorry, Celestia, but I refuse to fight you...If anything, you have wasted a trip to this particular area and I am disappointed that you would even ask such a thing from me..."

It was at that point that Celestia had no other alternative but to provoke Cuatro. She lit up her horn and fired a small beam, to which Cuatro easily moved his head to the right and dodged; The beam struck a boulder far behind him. The strange alicorn shifted his eyes to where the beam passed him, then back to Celestia "I told you that I would not fight...Did you not listen?"

Celestia frowned "I'm sorry, Cuatro, but I cannot stand for you opposing my request. I'm doing this to help you..."

"Help me how? Are you aware of what happens when I fight?" Cuatro asked inquisitively.

Celestia nodded "This battle will not only help with your memories, but with your self-control in fighting as well. One final time I beg, please accept my challenge and show me your potential..."

Cuatro closed his eyes "My mind is made up...I will do no such thing...If you continue to attack, I will only dodge until you find the sense to bring us back to Canterlot and consider your newest process to be another failure..."

This was it. Now Celestia needed to do the impossible in order to give Cuatro the drive to fight her. She stared at Cuatro and felt a pang of fear in her heart over what she was about to do "Very well then...What if I told you that my first attempt of restoring your memories nearly succeeded?" Cuatro's eyes instantly shot open.

"What?"

Celestia saw that she had grabbed his attention and continued "When we first met in Canterlot, back when I tried helping you with your amnesia, I was close to bringing you back to your past self. I was able to know about yourself, but I was unable to continue the process of returning your memories altogether. I was hindered by what was seen in your eyes; what was done of your own accord; how you chose to live back then. I couldn't bring myself to do such a thing with how grim your past was..." She watched how Cuatro went completely silent with his eyes widened slightly.

"She-...She knows? She knows about my past and yet she refused to reveal it to me?"

After he stood paralyzed for what seemed like an eternity from hearing Celestia's confession, he regained his composure, but was not entirely calm "...How much do you know?" He spoke in a low tone. Cuatro watched how Celestia did not even say a word while observing his tension "I'll ask you again...How much do you know?"

Slowly and surely, the familiar feeling of anger began to well up inside of the strange alicorn as Celestia continued to keep silent and gaze with her neutral stare. For the first time ever, Cuatro raised his voice to a shout while maintaining his usual expression "Answer me!!"

Celestia closed her eyes "This is all I can tell you. If you're so willing to figure out your past, then you'll have to try a different way..."

Cuatro stared at Celestia, realizing what she was doing. The worst part was that it was working. Cuatro couldn't bear to be left in the dark no longer after he had acquired so much fragments of his past and held the knowledge that Celestia had kept it all from him for reasons unknown. His horn glowed with his green aura, and he summoned a Luz de la Luna next to him "...I accept your challenge..." He uttered as he stared down Celestia.

Celestia opened her eyes and looked back at Cuatro "Thank you..." She stated before she got into a defensive position. She awaited Cuatro to make the first move, and he blurred out with his Sonido 'As expected...' Her heart skipped a beat after she detected his presence to her left, his magic spear readied to strike at her. She quickly dodged the swipe from Cuatro's spear and countered with a magic beam.

Cuatro flew into the air, avoiding the magic beam, and looked down at Celestia with invisible contempt as he readied his spear. He swooped down with his Luz de la Luna pointed forward.

"Why would she do this? Is it because of my history of murder?"

Celestia brought up a magic barrier around herself, to which Cuatro collided with fiercely and drew back after a small bit of recoil. He approached the barrier and continuously swung at it while Celestia's horn was glowing more brightly.

"What kind of benevolent ruler does Twilight make her out to be for her to do such a thing?"

Celestia's barrier cancelled out the exact moment she teleported, leaving Cuatro to slash the air and look around. He looked up to see a boulder flying towards him from behind and slashed it in two, with the two cut rocks flying down at different angles. He looked behind him to see Celestia firing another magic beam and quickly hopped to the right. Cuatro felt the need to use his weapon as a projectile, and launched his Luz de la Luna towards Celestia.

Celestia gasped with widened eyes 'Oh no!' She quickly teleported away again when the spear came close to her. After coming into contact with the ground, it had caused an explosion that engulfed a good portion of the area around it. Cuatro himself was slightly overwhelmed by the demonstrated power as he flew into the air while the explosion expanded. The energy had vanished to reveal that his attack had created a large crater.

"Could this be the reason she kept my past out of reach? Was I this destructive?"

Cuatro felt that he hadn't used the full extent of his power yet, but he did not have time to ponder his existence. He surveyed the badlands for any sign of Celestia. He then felt a presence looming over him, and looked up to see Celestia with what appeared to be a floating magical blade bursting down towards him. Cuatro, seeing how the blade was too close to him, chose to defend himself with a hoof.

He expected a deep gash, but Cuatro looked up after hearing a loud clash to see the blade not even cutting into his skin as it pushed next to his foreleg. Celestia struggled with her blade while she pushed it against him 'Of course...His hierro is still active here...' She thought as she distanced herself from Cuatro while the two alicorns descended to the ground.

Celestia stood with her glowing magic blade floating next to her, and Cuatro stared her down as he conjured another Luz de la Luna at his side. She examined how Cuatro's mindset hasn't changed from the small period of their conflict 'Nothing...I'll need to prolong this fight before I can implement the mind spell...' She readied her blade and dove into a charge, galloping towards Cuatro with conviction in her eyes.

Cuatro anticipated her gallop and decided to do the same. The two alicorns clashed against their respective blades while they locked eyes. Celestia studied Cuatro and how calm he appeared, then noticed how his tail curled up, bracing herself instantly as she dove back. His tail soared over Celestia, knocking off her regal tiara as she felt her heart stop again 'I forgot how versatile he is in combat...' She was right behind a boulder as Cuatro brought back his tail and spun himself. Celestia then leaped into the air as the strange alicorn's tail diagonally sliced through the boulder like a hot knife through cold butter. The boulder slid off before landing into the dirt with a thud.

Celestia hovered in the air and watched how Cuatro looked up at her with his catlike eyes. She couldn't make out if she had awakened his violent nature, but she knew he was going to attack again. Cuatro flew upwards at Celestia, who swooped down towards Cuatro and their weapons clashed with each swing they took, their weapons giving off vibrant light each time they met.

Cuatro blurred out with his Sonido for Celestia to swing at the air, moving back to the ground as he grasped his spear with his tail and lit up his horn; His horn's aura went from green to black as he focused on Celestia.

Celestia noticed the aura on Cuatro's horn and braced herself as she quickly bursted further into the air. Part of her tail was singed from the Cero Oscuras that traveled across the badlands and razed the landscape behind her. She looked down at Cuatro and her eyes widened to see that he prepared another one. Celestia quickly banked to the right when the next shot was fired, then attempted to dive in towards the strange alicorn before he could attack again.

As fast as she came, however, Cuatro's cero was ready to fire. Celestia was lucky to react quickly and avoid another shot while she flew at him. While she neared him, She readied her blade for a strike, but noticed how his tail - which still held his Luz de la Luna - swung towards her. Celestia realized it was futile to attack and swooped back into the air. However, she was not lucky enough to dodge as Cuatro's spear cut into her midsection as she flew upwards. Celestia stifled a pained grunt as she distanced herself from Cuatro.

Celestia's wound was light, but dripped with blood nonetheless after taking another hit from Cuatro. She studied his facial features from the air once more while he turned to look at her. Celestia noticed that he had a different look in his eyes; a look that was bereft of any feelings 'I must be getting close...I'm lucky to have made it this far without any major injuries...' She prepared herself for another strike with her blade floating at her side.
_____

Cuatro, while fighting Celestia, felt somewhat different; too different, to say the least. It reminded him of his previous nightmares and what had occured when he gazed upon the supposed 'Las Noches'.

"This is-...I'm aware now...This was practically what I had felt when I fought with the dragons...It feels so...familiar..."

Earlier, Cuatro had wished to avoid losing himself in the field of battle, but as time went by, he had gradually felt more attached to this feeling. He found himself to be more collected and knowledgeable in his current fight; Although, another force was slowly causing him to lose touch with reality once more. Unaware of said force, Cuatro acted more calculating in his fight with Celestia after his acceptable counter when she chose to fly at him. He watched her in the sky with her blade at the ready.

"...Conviction...tinged with brief anxiety...She must be feeling wary about my power..."

Using his horn, he took the Luz de la Luna from his tail. After that, he had conjured two more spears to go with his first one. He watched Celestia's pupils tremble at the sight.

"Holding back fear while awaiting my next move...A careless gesture for one who has lived for so long..."

He launched one of his spears up at Celestia and blurred out with his Sonido. Celestia, unnerved by both moves, decided to dodge out of the way while keeping her eye out for Cuatro. She watched the tossed projectile connect with the ground far away from her for another explosion, then felt a chill run down her spine and quickly lit up her horn before she nearly felt the swipe of a spear on her head.

Teleporting herself a few feet away from Cuatro, she noticed that he has two more spears while his eyes were more calculating, albeit empty to her observation 'This must be it. I should hurry with the spell!' Thinking quickly, Celestia canceled her magic blade while she activated her horn.

Cuatro deduced that she was preparing for another offensive magic beam and decided to lunge in with both his spears pointed.

Celestia saw this and acted fast with her magic when he came in close 'Now!' With a well-aimed zap, she fired her mind spell in the form of a beam as it connected with Cuatro's forehead. As expected, he stopped in front of her as the magic dissolved 'That should do it...Now to teleport back to Canterlot and permit Cuatro to go back to Ponyville...' She went to activate her horn, but she noticed that both of Cuatro's Luz de la Lunas were still active 'Wait...He should have abandoned his weapons...Unless...' Her eyes widened, and the alarm bells rang in her head as she noticed one of Cuatro's spears were slowly raised. She quickly flew backward, but was unable to avoid Cuatro's strike; It had grazed her left cheek, giving off another wound as Celestia felt more fear in her heart than before.

Cuatro drew back his Luz de la Luna and stared at Celestia "I do not know what that was...but all I can say is that I'm puzzled to think that it would have any chance of inflicting damage upon myself...Were you about to restore my memory?"

Celestia covered her cheek while she hovered in the air and stared at Cuatro with befuddled eyes. She noticed that he was still vacant in emotion, but somehow retained his mind throughout the fight 'This cannot be! I was certain that I've drawn out his dark side that time. Perhaps I'll have to try harder...' She lit up her horn and conjured another magic blade as she pulled down the hoof covering her new wound. Celestia narrowed her eyes "It was nothing but a misfire in my magic. I won't slip up next time."

Cuatro gave a light scoff "As expected from somepony like you, princess..." He flew at Celestia with both of his spears aimed at her. Celestia blocked each attack sent to her with her blade while attempting to attack herself. While Cuatro fought, he felt lightheaded despite his advantage over his opponent.

"I feel that I've dragged this fight on long enough. I must force her to surrender and return my memories at once..."

Cuatro reeled back both of his spears then brought them down in a harsh chop. Celestia was able to block, but she was forced downward towards the ground from the might of Cuatro's strike. When she recovered in midair, she was instantly met with another chop that she instinctively blocked, sending her back onto the ground with her hooves planted. The impact from her landing had caused the earth around her to crack fiercely.

Celestia was ready to brace herself again, but noticed how Cuatro merely hovered down and landed in front of her. He glanced at her with his emotionless stare "You've seen what I'm capable of...and through that observation, you have bestowed unneeded injuries on yourself...This fight is meaningless and you know it..." He stated in a calm, but empty tone; it was entirely different from how he would talk to other ponies.

While he expected his words to sink into Celestia, she did not falter despite her wounds "You underestimate me, Cuatro. I'm not like the ponies that you've lived with for some time."

Cuatro's brow furrowed slightly "It is pointless to continue...Your efforts are both futile and distracting...I do not know what exactly you would gain from this battle as the victor, but I'm certain that you've made the biggest mistake keeping me away from my past and choosing to fight me...Clearly, you know of my power throughout our match..."

Celestia stared before she closed her eyes with a nod "You're right...I do know your power, Cuatro, and many other things about you." She opened her eyes in a narrowed fashion "But I also know that I would do anything for my little ponies! I acknowledge your power, but there is never a time for me to back down from the likes of you when my land is threatened. So even though I know how powerful you are...I will do my best to see my challenge through!"

Cuatro went silent upon hearing Celestia. Normally, he would pass it off as idle banter between opponents, but there was more to it; not just from Celestia's valor as a ruler of ponies, but the familiarity of her words. Combined with the unknown force eating away at Cuatro's mind through his fight, it intensified into another migraine upon him. He grunted loudly in pain as he reared onto his hindlegs, clenching his head with his forehooves. Celestia took a step back upon seeing this. Cuatro then fell forward as he covered his head along with his eyes as a shaded scene had played in his mind...

"Do you think I should give up...Just because you're stronger than me?"
"I've always known you were strong...Nothing I see now will change my mind..."
"...I will defeat you...Ulquiorra!!"
"Nonsense...Ichigo Kurosaki, those are the words of those who do not know true despair."
"So I will show you. This...is what true despair looks like."

When the scene had played out, Cuatro's grunting had stopped, though he strangely froze into position with his forehooves still covering his face. Celestia, for her part, was confused "Cuatro? What's wrong?"

Cuatro did not respond, and remained in his fixed position for a brief moment before his horn began to glow. Celestia tensed up and held up her blade, then noticed how his aura went from green to black. Before she could conclude it was another cero, Celestia was overtaken when a vast shockwave of blackness expanded from Cuatro's horn, covering most of the landscape around him and Celestia.

Celestia had trouble standing her ground as the shockwave whipped around her; it felt as if a massive weight had been placed on her 'This power...It can't be...' She looked ahead at Cuatro and noticed a black residue leaking down both of his cheeks, with some of it dripping onto the ground. His ears were also found twitching erratically. It was at that moment that Cuatro had slowly dropped his forehooves covering his face. Celestia was devastated at what she had beheld.

His ears were a few inches longer and more feral in appearance; No longer where his eyes green, but Cuatro's irises were now an eerie yellow, with his sclera being a deep green; Blackness had trailed from both of his eyes as if he had cried several dark tears. This sight was all that Celestia had feared when she imagined him go rogue.

This is what true despair looked like...

To be continued...

Author's Note:

Part 2!

And wouldn't you know it! THIS happens! :pinkiecrazy:

PreviousChapters Next