• Published 25th Aug 2012
  • 23,043 Views, 2,971 Comments

Cuatro - Dirty Bit



How can one feel empty in a world full of friends?

  • ...
67
 2,971
 23,043

PreviousChapters Next
Capitulo Cuarenta y Tres

Capitulo Cuarenta y Tres

Bind

The next morning, Ulquiorra found himself in bed wrapped in Luna's forelegs. He murmured as he stirred in his slumber and woke himself up. The last thing he remembered was dancing with Luna and breaking down shortly afterwards. He was curious on how all of this was possible, but then remembered the damage that was done by him the other night.

"I've made a mistake...I tried to pay more attention to my true memories, only to scar the ones that were made while I was without them..."

The former espada looked up towards the doorway leading to the balcony, seeing that the sun was out behind the clouded skies. He then looked down at the mare that slept next to him. She looked so peaceful with that smile on her face.

"Luna...I cannot thank you enough for your enlightenment..."

Ulquiorra gave a quiet sigh as he sat up in Luna's bed and reflected on what was said last night. His eyes lidded when he thought back to Twilight's sadness.

"Luna informed me that Applejack explained the situation rather than Twilight...No doubt she is still sore over what I've done to her..."

A murmur snapped Ulquiorra out of his reverie, and he turned to see Luna waking up from her own slumber. She rubbed her eyes and looked up at Ulquiorra "We see that thou hath slept well..." Luna said as she woke up.

Ulquiorra nodded "Essentially...The rest was much needed after my tragic mistake..."

Luna smiled "Indeed...Thou were so overwhelmed by the truth, that we had to give thee proper rest ourselves through a sleep spell, but not before thou apologized to us a second time and made the choice to return."

That explained how he slept so well. Ulquiorra looked down "This is all too much for me to handle...I'm still confused on how I even came to be in this world, and in my current form..."

Luna sat up in her bed and reached out a hoof to Ulquiorra, lightly placing it under his chin. She directed his face to look at her own as she smiled softly "There is no need for confusion. Clearly there could be a reason of profound truth that would suffice as an answer to thine problem..."

Ulquiorra stared at Luna "Even if I don't belong-"

"Hush, Ulquiorra! Lest thou bring thyself back to a state of regret..." Luna said with strict and narrowed eyes that urged the former espada to listen to reason. Her expression softened "Of course thou belong here with us in Equestria. Art thou not a pony like us?" She asked in a calm tone.

Ulquiorra stared "Currently, yes...I am a pony now. But I'm still lost..."

Luna smiled "Then leave it to us to guide thee..." She dropped her hoof under Ulquiorra's chin "We will not let thee wander aimlessly in this world whilst thou art in a state of disarray."

Ulquiorra stared into Luna's eyes, then reluctantly reached out to give her a hug. He was hesitant, since he never did so when he was an espada, but his memory of embracing Twilight for all of her help gave him the courage; Luna returned the hug while he thought to himself. His eyes lidded once again when he thought of his friends.

"Applejack...Twilight Sparkle...Spike...Pinkie Pie...Rainbow Dash...Rarity...and Fluttershy...I've hurt their feelings. What will I do now since they possibly haven't recovered from what I've said?"

"They do not hate thee..."

Ulquiorra perked up while he was still hugging Luna, who held a neutral expression "The Elements of Harmony, they are thine friends, so it is only proper that thou would make amends with them and nurse thy friendship..."

The former espada felt his spirits drop, his mind clouded by doubt "I've said unforgivable things to them, and even deserted them when they kept calling me back...What would they see inside of me after all that I've done?"

Luna smiled and faced Ulquiorra while her hooves were on his shoulders "They will see Cuatro and not Ulquiorra if thou actually chose to go back to them. Thou underestimate the power of friendship, especially when thine friends are well-versed in the very magic of it..."

Ulquiorra stared "How will I explain my reason of returning here with you?"

Luna shook her head with an amused smile "Such a simple question calls for a simple answer." She held out a hoof that touched Ulquiorra's chest "Thou hath decided with thy heart..." Her hoof raised up and touched the former espada's forehead "Not with thy mind...That is all that will matter to them, and they shalt accept thee with open hooves..."

Ulquiorra took in Luna's words and looked down at his chest. He mulled over what was said, and he slowly came to a well-established conclusion.

"So I've held a heart inside of me this whole time...I've only just begun to experience it completely...Perhaps it was given to me when I passed on in Hueco Mundo..."

Feeling invigorated, he looked up at Luna with a serious look in his eyes "I must see them...I must see my friends and make things right..." He said with determination behind his usual tone.

Luna's smile widened "Then we shalt go together..." The two alicorns rose from the bed and made their way out of Luna's room as they opened the doors with their magic. They trotted the halls, and went down the stairs as they continued through the castle.

Ulquiorra turned to Luna "Are you most certain that they do not think differently of me?"

Luna smiled at Ulquiorra's introverted question "They wouldn't be thine friends if they did. The Elements of Harmony can be very forgiving of other ponies..."

Ulquiorra looked down "Even me?"

"Especially you..."

The former espada perked up at the new voice, and the two alicorns stopped to see Princess Celestia standing in front of them with a smile on her face "You may not realize it now, Ulquiorra, but you've made a large impact on their lives. They cherished what you've done for them and wished that you would stay with them forever." She stated in a kind tone.

Ulquiorra stared at Celestia "You even manage to welcome me back as well...Was I not a threat to you?"

Celestia closed her eyes with a frown "You were before, but it was only because I chose to go through your past." She opened her eyes with a smile "And despite what I've put you through, you even managed to forgive me that time. I don't see any other reason why they would not do the same for you."

Ulquiorra stared at Celestia, then bowed his head "Thank you, Princess Celestia...Perhaps I'm anxious as to what may transpire in the future..."

Celestia shook her head "It's no problem at all, Ulquiorra. The future could hold good things for you." She smiled warmly "In fact, since you're so attached to Luna, you have my blessing..." Ulquiorra raised his head with a surprised expression, causing Celestia to widen her smile "Well? You DO love my sister, don't you?"

Ulquiorra stared at Celestia, then looked over at Luna, who smiled lovingly at him "It's true...I do love Luna..." He nuzzled her cheek, and she returned the embrace "I never thought I would share this feeling with somepony else..."

Celestia was touched at the scene "Well, perhaps now is the time to share a similarly sentimental moment with your friends, hm?"

Ulquiorra broke the embrace and nodded to Celestia "Of course...Do you know where they are?"

Celestia turned away and looked back at Ulquiorra "Come with me. I'll lead you to them right now..." She said as she began to trot away.

Ulquiorra took a deep breath, feeling more anxious about facing his friends and hoping they would look at him the same way. He trotted after Celestia with Luna at his side.
_____

After following Celestia, Ulquiorra was guided towards the dining room, where food had been laid on the table. Next to the table stood all of his friends, each noticing his appearance as he walked in. Ulquiorra stared at them all, then looked away with lidded eyes "Everyone..." He uttered penitently "I've done you all wrong the night before, and I want to try and start over today...Can I ask for your forgiveness?"

Applejack trotted up to Ulquiorra with a stoic glance "Lemme tell ya somethin', Ulquiorra..." She said in a leveled tone "After what y'all did last night, me an' th' gals had a right mind t' smack ya upside yer head. What ya said t' us that time really hurt."

Ulquiorra nodded "I know...And I'm sorry for that..."

Applejack huffed "Wasn't finished. Anyways, while ya said some pretty cold stuff, we remembered that yer past wasn't somethin' we wouldn't wanna see anypony go through, an' ya had a tough time wonderin' why yer here, so it ain't too bad." She smiled "Princess Celestia told us about how ya came back t' us, so it's water under th' bridge."

Ulquiorra's eyelids were raised upon hearing Applejack, and he turned his head to face her "Are you serious?"

Applejack arched an eyebrow "Ya callin' me a liar, sugarcube?" She asked in a teasing tone.

Ulquiorra stared at the farmpony, and remembered that she was the Element of Honesty, and the same pony that took him in and started him out on his journey into living in Equestria. He turned to the others "And all of you think the same way?"

Rarity flicked her mane "Not exactly the same way, but we forgive you as well!" She said with a smile.

Fluttershy frowned "Please don't do that again, Ulquiorra..." She then smiled "I know you've acted differently back then, but we're still your friends."

Pinkie Pie, who had her mane and tail restored to its former puffiness, pointed a hoof with narrowed eyes "Just don't ever do something like that again, you big meanie pants!" She called out in a comically cross tone.

Rainbow Dash crossed her forelegs and looked away with a cool expression "I forgive you, too. I'm just that kind of mare sometimes..." She shifted her eyes and held a smug smile "But you'll have to teach me Sonido if you want me to mean it..."

Twilight and Spike stood with each other, and they walked up to Ulquiorra as he looked down at them. Spike flashed a friendly smile "It's good to have you back, Cua-I-I mean, Ulquiorra." He looked down in thought "That's gonna take some getting used to..." He muttered to himself.

After hearing out Spike, Ulquiorra turned to Twilight "Twilight...I'm-"

Twilight held up a hoof "I heard you the first time." She responded in a straight tone before smiling "You really had us all going back there. I should've expected that Luna would be the one to drag you back after we tried convincing you to stay with us."

Luna smiled "Thou should thank Ulquiorra for wanting us to pursue him if he didn't return. He is indeed an intelligent stallion!"

Ulquiorra heaved a sigh of relief "I'm pleased that you're willing to accept me again after what I've done to you..."

Twilight chuckled "Well, Ulquiorra, even you should know that friendship's all about second chances." She stared up at him a cheerful smile "I'm glad to have you back, too..." The two ponies shared a small hug as they closed their eyes.

Ulquiorra was happy to start a new life with his friends and the one he loved most, but then he remembered a particular event that was scheduled for today, causing his eyes to shoot open "My deathmatch..." Everypony felt their hearts sink "All of these events and I've nearly forgotten about it..." He looked down "It appears I'll have to cut this moment short and get it over with..." Ulquiorra said to himself.

Twilight frowned "Are you not ready to go through with this?"

Ulquiorra looked down at Twilight "Where I once hailed from, you must be ready for anything and everything...Especially if it is death..." Everypony but the princesses went pale at the former espada's words.

Spike shivered "Hueco Mundo must really be a scary place..." He said in a frightened tone.

Ulquiorra nodded to Spike "Indeed...and it is best that nopony knows of its existence. But that doesn't matter now..." He broke the embrace and trotted to a window, staring out at the vast snowy fields near the distant mountains "I must prepare and overcome this trial, so that Ponyville will not have to suffer..."

Rarity frowned "But Ulquiorra, we've only just got to know you now! Are you actually looking forward to this?" She asked incredulously.

Ulquiorra looked back at Rarity "I've accepted a challenge to a battle. In life, I've grown accustomed to fighting several opponents. This is a normal experience for me to have my life on the line, even if it didn't feel that way to me back then..."

Rarity winced "I'm starting to miss you having amnesia after you said that..." She said in a reluctant tone.

Fluttershy frowned "Can't you convince him not to go through with this fight? I could help you if you want."

Ulquiorra shook his head "To avoid a challenge that I've already accepted would be the most disrespectful gesture imaginable, and it would cost all of Ponyville in the mix. Upon the knowledge that dragons are fierce and stubborn creatures, I doubt that Goldoa will listen to reason..." Fluttershy frowned after Ulquiorra's explanation.

Applejack sighed "Well, there ain't no use talkin' ya outta this. At least we won't worry about ya goin' in too deep and losin' yer mind while ya fight."

Pinkie grinned "Why don't you sit with us and eat breakfast first? You can't fight a giant dragon on an empty stomach, right?"

Ulquiorra stared at Pinkie, then nodded "I suppose that would be a wise decision. Then I will depart and begin my fight..." He said as he trotted to his seat. The others followed suit and sat themselves down. Before they dug in, Ulquiorra spoke up "Maybe I was wrong about not belonging here...All of you have taught me the value of a heart, and you seem more interesting than humans..."

Pinkie giggled "Tell that to Lyra..."

Ulquiorra continued despite Pinkie's quip "I want to thank you all again for looking over how I've acted in the past. This battle may vary in time, but I will make sure I come out victorious...I'll come back to you all, and start a new life."

Luna smiled "We'll be waiting..."

Celestia nodded "Then let's enjoy this meal while we can before we see Ulquiorra off." She said as everypony ate their breakfast. While eating, Ulquiorra thought to himself on how he would fight Goldoa.

"I will be out of my element without my zanpakuto..."

He examined his features, starting with his tail, and unfurled one of his wings.

"Wait...My wings and tail...Am I in my Segunda Etapa form?"

Ulquiorra levitated a spoon up to his vision as a substitute mirror and looked into his eyes. They seem to be normal as opposed to his look of 'true despair'.

"Perhaps I'm in a more dormant state of my Segunda Etapa, since my spiritual pressure hasn't affected anypony around me yet..."

He felt that while he hadn't witnessed Goldoa's full strength, Ulquiorra could have more of a chance at winning his fight. He went back to eating so he would be properly nourished before departing from Canterlot.
_____

Later, everypony stood outside the front gates of the castle; Ulquiorra stood by himself while the group stared at him a few feet away "I'll return to you all soon...Goodbye for now..." He said as he unfurled his wings and turned away.

Spike waved "Good luck, Ulquiorra! We're counting on you!"

Pinkie smiled as she waved "I'll throw you an 'Ulquiorra beat the dragon and saved Ponyville party' once you come back! Just don't be too long, okay?"

Ulquiorra gave a curt nod to Pinkie, and then looked out to the fields far from Canterlot.

"It's time..."

He hovered into the air and blurred out with his Sonido, leaving his friends behind. When he reached his destination, Ulquiorra searched the area for his opponent, then moved forward when he spotted a blackened mass up ahead.

Goldoa was seen standing patiently with a stoic, yet spiteful look in his eyes, and he smiled sadistically upon seeing Ulquiorra arrive "So you finally come to me, alicorn...I was beginning to think you would abandon your word and cower in fear! It would have saved me the trouble of waiting to lay waste to your precious village!" He taunted.

Ulquiorra frowned "You're gravely mistaken to believe I would go back on my word, or even turn tail against a beast such as yourself...Moreso, I recall that you've merely coerced me into fighting you by threatening to destroy Ponyville. Clearly, your abhorrent behavior knows no bounds..." He remarked condescendingly.

Goldoa snorted "You would talk down on me!? And just who do you think you are to do so!?" He snapped irritably.

Ulquiorra stared down his opponent "Back then, I referred to myself as Cuatro, but at that time, I was in a state of amnesia. Right now, you will know me by the name of Ulquiorra Cifer." He stated, deciding to ignore his former title as espada number four "I must say that for a powerful dragon, you seem to be very ignorant to those you choose to talk with..."

Goldoa growled as smoke billowed from his nostrils "I need not dwell on formalities forever, especially when I'm about to tear you apart! Any last words before we begin?" He said as he readied his claws.

Ulquiorra closed his eyes "If you're as powerful as you claim to be, then know that before this battle is over..." He opened his eyes and looked up at Goldoa "I will show you the meaning of true despair..."

Goldoa roared "Die!!" He raised a claw and brought it down Ulquiorra, slamming it into the ground as he grinned evilly. His grin vanished when the former espada appeared in front of him over his claw "What!?"

Ulquiorra frowned "Never underestimate your opponent..." He flew up towards Goldoa and struck at his chest with a forehoof, knocking the wind out of his lungs and forcing him back a few feet away.

His chest wasn't wounded, but Goldoa felt the punch. He scoffed "Was this the same tactic you used on those hatchlings? I commend you for inflicting pain, but it will take more than that to harm me!" Ulquiorra studied his opponent in silence.

"His body does indeed support more constitution compared to the dragons I've fought before. Of course, he is an elder dragon, so I mustn't hold back..."

Ulquiorra blurred out with his Sonido, and reappeared behind Goldoa. He activated his horn and caused his green aura to turn black as he fired a Cero Oscuras onto Goldoa's back, eliciting a roar in pain as he flew forward, his back scorched from the blast.

Goldoa recovered and turned to face Ulquiorra as he leered at the former espada "Now you're just trying to annoy me!!" He inhaled before breathing out a large jet of bright yellow fire towards Ulquiorra, who easily dodged out of the way and flew in towards Goldoa for another strike with his forehoof. After landing another hit to the dragon's chest, he was knocked back again, and grew more annoyed "Perhaps I should follow your example and best you at close combat! Come here, maggot!" He said as he flew at Ulquiorra, claws at the ready.

Ulquiorra dodged at each of Goldoa's attempts to slash at him, all while keeping an eye on his movement. The dragon growled in irritation over how the former espada kept a straight face throughout his fight "You cannot avoid me forever!! Is this your idea of confronting me?"

The former espada held out a hoof that easily stopped Goldoa's right claw, much to the dragon's surprise "No...But you make a good point. I shouldn't drag this battle out for long since I have my friends waiting for my return..." He said as his horn lit up, conjuring a Luz de la Luna at his side "Let us finish this quickly, shall we?" Ulquiorra blurred out with his Sonido, and reappeared in front of Goldoa, repeatedly stabbing him in his chest several times in quick succession.

Goldoa grunted at each attack, then roared when he had enough, trying to swat Ulquiorra away, only to have him dodge as he distanced himself. Now his chest was decorated with several small stab wounds as he growled "Impressive...No creature has managed to harm me to this degree before!"

Ulquiorra pointed his Luz de la Luna at Goldoa "I've only begun to show you what I can do. Prepare yourself..."

Goldoa bared his fangs "Gladly!!" He roared as he dove in and opened his gaping maw towards Ulquiorra. The former espada moved back and slashed at the dragons snout with his spear, landing another hit as he reeled back from the pain. While Goldoa was phased, Ulquiorra swooped down and slashed at the lower region of his chest, causing a gaping cut that leaked with more blood than the dragon's stab wounds.

Ulquiorra then flew around until he was at the back of Goldoa's neck and went to slash at him there. Goldoa heard him fly back and acted quickly as he whipped his tail towards him. Ulquiorra noticed this and blocked the tail with a hoof. Goldoa sneered 'Got you!' The dragon quickly turned around with a prepared claw and swatted Ulquiorra away like a bug "There!"

The former espada recovered with a brief shake of his head "Well-played...You've landed a hit on me. But will it give you the advantage in this fight?"

Goldoa snorted "You insolent worm! I will crush you!!" He said as he unfurled his wings and flew at Ulquiorra again with his mouth open. The former espada flew backward and readied another strike, but widened his eyes when he noticed fire about to escape from Goldoa's throat. He flew upward and avoided the jet of fire that nearly scorched his body.

Ulquiorra saw Goldoa stop his attack and aimed up at him for another breath of fire, making him fly out of range. He watched how the dragon tried to have his stream of fire catch up to the former espada, but he only swooped down towards his face in an attempt to strike at his eye and blind him. Goldoa saw this and brought up a claw to swat Ulquiorra away, only to have him bank to the left before approaching his head at the side, slashing at the dragon's ear.

Goldoa roared in pain and growled "I'll get you yet, you annoying little gnat!!" He looked around and wondered if he could use the field to his advantage. When he noticed he was near the mountains, he grinned when an idea came to mind. He inhaled deeply before he let out a deafening roar towards the direction of the mountains.

Ulquiorra wondered about Goldoa's tactic until he heard a massive rumble. He looked towards the mountains and his eyes widened when he seen an approaching wave containing a massive amount of snow.

"He brought about an avalanche..."

The former espada quickly flew up so he would avoid the oncoming wave of snow and looked down to see Goldoa fly after him. He went to stab at Goldoa until he opened his mouth when he was near Ulquiorra. Feeling as if he were about breath more fire, he went to dodge out of the way, only to have Goldoa snap his jaw down and catch his tail.

Goldoa growled as he bit down on Ulquiorra's tail, and shook him when he didn't hear any sound of pain. He flew downward and flung Ulquiorra into the ground, then slammed down on top of him as he reached down and bit at one of his forelegs. He pulled his head back and yanked the former espada's limb forcefully, and he eventually tore out Ulquiorra's foreleg as his eyes widened; blood splattered from his dismembered area. Goldoa tossed away the dismembered foreleg and held a dark grin "How do you feel now, alicorn? That was only the beginning! I'll work my way around the rest of your body soon enough!"

Ulquiorra stared at Goldoa as he stifled a light grunt, then looked at his dismembered area.

"Wait...if I have my powers as an arrancar...then that must mean..."

He stared, and soon enough, a red substance shot out like a water from a hose before melding and solidifying around where his foreleg once laid. It then became white as the rest of Ulquiorra's coat, leading the former espada to come to the conclusion that he still carried the ability he thought of.

Goldoa was stunned as his eyes widened in disbelief "Witchcraft..." he whispered incredulously.

Ulquiorra stared up at Goldoa "High-speed regeneration..." He corrected in a serious tone as he aimed his Luz de la Luna up at Goldoa, who hopped back when the former espada launched it. The spear flew over until it touched the large patch of snow miles behind him and triggered a large explosion that brought up a flurry of snow, though the explosion engulfed most of it in its range.

Goldoa shielded himself from the oncoming snow and growled in irritation, though was still surprised about Ulquiorra's hidden technique 'That's impossible...For as long as I've lived, I've never seen a pony capable of performing that ability! Not even an alicorn! Who is he?' When the snow stopped, he looked back to see that Ulquiorra was hovering with his usual expression "Where did you learn that technique? Nopony can be able to perform what you've shown me!!"

Ulquiorra hovered "If it will suffice as an explanation, I wasn't a pony before..."

Goldoa growled "Then what are you!?"

Ulquiorra replied "I used to be an arrancar, but those days are gone now..." He examined himself "I've come to accept this new form of mine, even if it appears unorthodox to my standards." He looked up at Goldoa "And the bonds I've forged have helped me see to that..."

Goldoa snarled "Whatever you are, it was only luck that you've managed to damage me this much throughout this battle!!"

Ulquiorra frowned "You would make excuses of my endeavors in combat...I am not even fighting you at my full strength..."

Goldoa pointed a claw "So you're holding back then? Are you hesitant about going through with this challenge!?"

Ulquiorra stared, until he contemplated over Goldoa's words. Back in his time as an arrancar, he would kill without hesitation or even a second thought towards those who would die by his hands. Right now, he could have easily finished off Goldoa, yet he hesitated in doing so.

"Have I really lost my touch? Did these ponies actually change the way I think?"

While it may seem that the last question could be easily answered, Ulquiorra realized that he had agreed to a death battle that involves the existence of Ponyville. It wouldn't be right to keep this up forever "You're right...maybe I have been ignoring the means of the challenge I've accepted...and for that, I will not hold back." His horn glowed with a green aura that changed to black, and he conjured a massive shockwave that whipped around him and Goldoa in a field of blackness.

Goldoa had trouble standing up as he felt himself grow heavy "Wh-...What is this!?!" He shouted as he regained his footing. He looked ahead to see that his opponents eyes were closed while leaking a black residue; His ears grew in length and changed in appearance. Ulquiorra opened his eyes to reveal that he was back in his Segunda Etapa form, staring at Goldoa with his menacingly hollow eyes.

"As I've made clear beforehand...You will know true despair before this fight is over..."

To be continued...

Author's Note:

FORGIVENESS~!!

Heh, between the dragons and Celestia, Ulquiorra lost his touch at genocide :derpytongue2::trixieshiftright:

While I'm busy with the next chapter, have some hilarious outtakes of Ulquiorra going into his Segunda Etapa form!

Segunda Etapa - Take 1

Ulquiorra: You shouldn't have done that...

Take 2

Ulquiorra: Follow me to light's end...

Take 3

Ulquiorra: ... *background music*

Take 4

Ulquiorra: Tonight I dine on dragon soup...

Enjoy the chapter! Peace! :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next