• Published 25th Jan 2020
  • 748 Views, 7 Comments

Help Wanted - Draxonos135



Adagio goes to work with a shy coworker, a bunch of animals, and a shy coworker who loves animals.

  • ...
1
 7
 748

Help Wanted

Adagio Dazzle walked down the streets, hands pocketed with the most neutral expression she had shown so far. She took out a piece of paper from one of her pockets, and read it to herself: it was a simple help wanted pamphlet, talking about how an animal shelter needed help taking care of their animals.

What definitely got her attention, however, wasn't just the fact she was going to be paid for looking after some dirty animals, but the fact that, judging by the picture on the cover, one of Sunset Shimmer's friends worked there.

I'm not someone who likes animals very much, but if it gives me a chance to see one of Sunset's friends, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Once she arrived at the shelter, which looked like every other ordinary animal shelter to the siren, she knocked the door three times and waited for someone to answer. To her genuine surprise, it didn't take long at all before someone opened the door.

And, unsurprisingly, the one to answer was Fluttershy herself.

"H-Hello, ma'am-"

Adagio narrowed her eyes. "Who are you calling ma'am?"

"T-T-The Dazzling leader!" Fluttershy squeaked. "W-W-W-What are you doing here?!"

Adagio revealed the pamphlet. "I found this thing on my way home, and since I'm in need of some cash and got nothing better to do, I figured it wouldn't hurt to help you keep the farm you got inside under control."

"W-Well, it's not like a farm in here, I-I'd say it's more like a zoo," Fluttershy shook her head. "B-But, if you really are here to help, then that's great! Please come in!"

Did she seriously buy that statement, no questions asked? I mean, she got scared when she recognized me, so she could've at least been a little suspicious, right? Adagio lowered her eyelids as she walked inside. Then again, she looks like the kind of person that'd be scared of anything-

Suddenly, Adagio stopped, and she narrowed her eyes as a group of avian invaders attacked her hair. They nestled in it for a moment, and by the time Fluttershy noticed, they had already build nests around it.

"U-Um, Adagio," Fluttershy stuttered, trying to hold back a giggle. "Y-You got some birds on your hair."

"I noticed." Adagio sighed.

"They build nests-"

"I noticed." Adagio repeated, making sure her tone conveyed a desire for the avian creatures to be gone.

Finally getting the hint, Fluttershy walked to Adagio's hair and began removing the birds, one by one. "I'm so sorry this happened, the birds we got are very picky; as soon as they find a tree they think is better, they build their nests on it right away."

"So I can barely take a step inside this place before the animals think I'm a tree or something?" Adagio growled. "Why would they build their nests now, anyway? We're nowhere near Spring!"

"Oh, that's only when they build the nests for their families and whatnot," Fluttershy clasped her hands. "The rest of the time, they do it for fun."

"Definitely not for my fun."

Fluttershy hummed. "You know, the only other person they've ever built nests on was Pinkie Pie..."

Great, now I'm being compared to the crazy one. Adagio rolled her eyes. "Listen, Fluttershy, right? I'm here to work, not to talk. I mean, I can talk while I'm working, but I'd rather get this over with so I can sleep well tonight."

"Oh right, sorry, I got sidetracked," Fluttershy offered her hand. "I'll show you what you're expected to do while at the shelter."

Adagio eyed the offer, and after a second of hesitation, she accepted it and got dragged deeper into the place.


"Say, Adagio, I can't help but notice that you seem a bit more... weary, than before."

Why would Fluttershy bring this up while the duo were taking the dogs out for a walk, Adagio would never know, and she honestly would never care. This was the perfect chance to bring up the Battle of the Bands, after all.

"It's complicated, Fluttershy, but to be blunt: life hasn't been easy for me and my bandmates since... you most likely know what."

Fluttershy frowned. "W-Well, you three did mind control everyone in Canterlot High in order to feed off their negative energy-"

"Because that's what we do! That's literally the purpose that was placed on us as soon as we were born!" Adagio ranted, looking elsewhere as she added, "How would you feel if your purpose was to care for animals, and then a group of people decided to stop that once and for all by blasting you with a giant sky alicorn?!"

"That's.... a very weird analogy, Adagio."

"If it gets the point across, then it doesn't matter; what I'm trying to say is, ever since you and your friends destroyed our gems, life has been a living nightmare," Adagio lowered her eyelids and looked at the ground. "Our singing voices are gone, so getting work with music is a fantasy. Sonata's too dumb to be relied upon, and Aria would rather wait and soo our life come crashing down than lift a finger to help!"

"I can understand Sonata being difficult to rely upon, but what's up with Aria?"

"She's a prick. She kinda likes being the person that nobody can stand, and that likes it when things get worse. Anyway, I can't rely on them both to get us money to keep a roof over our heads, so I've been doing odd job after odd job, hoping that eventually I'll get enough money to pay this month's rent and take an hour of rest before I'm back to overworking myself."

Fluttershy raised an eyebrow. "Odd job after odd job?"

"What, you think this is the first job I decided to do? You're the tenth employer I've had just this month alone!" Adagio looked at the dog she was walking. "I've cut grass, walked dogs, acted as a publicity girl, and all other kinds of weird jobs."

Fluttershy frowned and lowered her head. And for the remainder of the walk, she became silent.


"Thanks a lot for your help, Adagio," Fluttershy said with a little smile. "I know you might not feel like it, but your help was certainly appreciated."

"Eh, it wasn't as bad as I thought; at least the only animals to use my hair to build their homes were the birds," Adagio replied, pocketing her hands. "But, let's cut to the chase; where's the payment?"

Fluttershy reached for her back, took out some money, and handed it to Adagio... who became stunned once she actually counted it.

"Fluttershy... this is twice the amount indicated by the pamphlet."

Fluttershy simply nodded. "You said it yourself: me and my friends made life difficult for you and your bandmates since the Battle of the Bands. Consider this extra money a token of apology from my part. And I honestly wish you and your bandmates can find stability again."

Adagio looked at the money again, and saved it. "Fluttershy, I-"

"That's not all I did, though," Fluttershy interjected. "I called one of my friends, and they said they're willing to let you work for them."

Adagio raised an eyebrow. "Doing what, exactly?"

Fluttershy leaned closer to Adagio's ear, and whispered something that only confused the siren more.

"Babysitting?"

Comments ( 7 )

What!? An uncommon pairing prompt!? Where is this!?

I'll also comment after I'm not working and can read the actual story, but this is more important to ask now!

A bit too short, you could probably expand on this.

10050887
Prompt came from here.

As for the story, I'd agree with Boltstrike, I think this needed something more. Some of that's most likely a bias on my part, but to me the characterization and plot here felt simplistic to the point where it just doesn't leave much an impression on me? Sirens are down on their luck after losing their magic, Fluttershy does something kind to help them--as far as I can tell, that's about what there is to this, and I'd really liked to have seen more than just kind of a first meeting here.

Competent enough for what it is, though.

10050887
The group Uncommon Dazzling Pairings. The prompt's on the main page.

10050947
Well, I wanted to write something short and simple, so I guess I did good either way XD

10050887
10050947
10051282

  • Insists learning group location is important :rainbowdetermined2:
  • Learns location :raritystarry:
  • Does not join group :rainbowhuh:

:trollestia:

Huk

Not bad. I like the attitude of both Fluttershy and especially Adagio - quite a refreshing approach :unsuresweetie:.

Login or register to comment