• Published 10th Jan 2020
  • 2,234 Views, 85 Comments

Long Night of Solace - dukesofhazzardftw



A spartan aboard a civilian transport to the Cygnus System is stranded when a malfunction occurs. Half his ship is found by the UNSC, the other half, by the Royal Guard.

Comments ( 14 )

It is nice to see a new chapter.
I liked the feeling of winter wonderland this chapter has. 👍

Really nice to see an update, and a good one at that. Keep up the good work man and i hope things are going well.

Staff Sargent? Hmmmm. It should be Petty Officer Second Class. Do to internal shenanigans (ONI) within the UNSC, Spartans are considered part of the naval forces.

11005241
This is something that comes up occasionally and you’re absolutely right! A normal Spartan would be under the Navy, in an effort to be somewhat lore friendly I’ve made Riley’s story somewhat different than the norm. Rather than try to force him in with other Spartan IIs where he obviously doesn’t exist, I’m trying to create a plausible backstory that gives credible reason for his lack of appearance in the canonical lore. Riley gives a brief synopsis of his story in Chapter 2 Act 2 which will be broken down further as the story progresses!

11005294
I can understand other military branches wanting to poach talent.

"Guards! Guards! Help! A monster has me!" She insisted. The guards appeared unamused as Riley stopped in front of them, and let go of the creature. She fell to the ground in a heap.

wouldve been cool if jessica had recorded the conversation

11006042
She tries, too much of his helmet storage is Tetris lol

Are you open to side stories based in your Alternate universe?

Just a question of curiocity. Because im curious as to what would happen if a ship from my AUs Athenian corps, (think ODST style normal humans in suped up mkII- III armour in two man squads. That happen to work for an intergalactic mercenary/transport company. Think the kind of thing ONI sends headhunters after because they dont like anyone else with the good toys. The two man teams operate from converted Longswords, that being the bomb bays are removed, and living space for two, an armour maintinance bay, an armoury/storage bay and a vehicle bay with capacity for either two hogs or any combination of hog and mongeese.) Crash lands in the griffonian or zebrican continents.

The general premise is Riley and/or the princesses would get reports of strange happenings ons occuring in another country, involving armoured bipedal creatures offering their combat services to anyone who can offer them something they deem of import.

Eventually they could end up on a mission to equis and Riley needs to hunt down an Athenian team. Thatd be pretty cool IMO. Riley and the royal guard attmepting to capture a duo. The teams can be any combination of roles or ranged combat depending on the tastes of the team mates but the usual tends to be someone who specialises in close range and someone who specialises in either mid or long range combat. Close range opting for a shotgun and MA4 assault rifle whilst the long range tends to run around with a DMR and Sniper of some sort.

The real kick though, is the merc outfit that sponsors the Athenian corps isnt xenophobic. So yes. Convinant refugees are common amoungst the ranks. In fact the Athenian armourer is a Sangheli woman nicknamed, Mad'am Armourer.

To really shake up Riley imagine a Sangheli/Human Athenian team having slipspace engine issues and ending up flung into Equis' atmosphere for a rough landing that totals the ship. Much like Riley they're going to default to the only thing they know and are good at. In this case. Selling their skills.

Also. Not intending to sound pushy but...
New chapters when?
I REALLY love this story!
So much so i started reading at 11pm. And i currently find myself at 7:54 AM wondering where the hell my night went xD

11272900
I've been working on one for a while, but recently I've had a lot of life developments that kinda blocked me from doing it. I'll try to finish cranking out the one I have tonight!

I'm not sure how to feel about stories based in this alternate universe, but I think that could certainly be pretty neat!

11273754
Cool!
And just asking. I know some authors like colabing in their own universes, a plausibly deniable alternate path if you will.

For example merchant mariner does colabs for his story. My friends and i are DnDing out why through it using a ruleset inspired by Nighthaze, but we're leaning more into what would WE do in any given situation. Merchant mariner foccuses on the Story, but he references others additions to his AUs cannon.

For example. He has a character who is essentially a radio station operator who gives survival tips and live updates on groups of survivors and colonies around the world. My friends and i are providing a tale of survival from Melbourne Australia... timberwolves and quarry eels... everywhere...

But yeah i understand. And eagerly look forward to your future updates mate!

Hope your doing well!

11273782
That sounds pretty darn cool, keep me posted if you pursue that story!

Hows the pipeline looking for more of this story? :pinkiesmile:

11603997
Been a lot goin’ on lately, I’ve got a little bit written but honest I’m fightin’ depression really bad right now. It’ll be a minute, sorry guys

Login or register to comment