• Published 11th Sep 2019
  • 18,705 Views, 3,596 Comments

Twilight's Nightmare - Nightsclaw



Twilight in her most desperate of moments, issues a cry for help. She was not expecting the Nightmare to be her saviour.

  • ...
61
 3,596
 18,705

PreviousChapters Next
CH 52.1 Little Star's Resolve


Despite such a hectic day, sleep still evaded Little Star. The soft bed cradled her body just like it always did. The blanket she had been lovingly tucked under, warmly embraced her, poorly imitating her mother’s hug.

She breathed in, her mother’s scent lingered in the room still making it feel like home, and yet something would soon be missing.

She turned her eyes towards the ceiling. Above her, a magenta rimmed scrying-window hung in the air, as it had since her mother left the room. Through it, looking so close she could be touched, Twilight gathered supplies. Strips of preserved meat, condensed ration cubes, tents, a legion of flasks and other liquid bearing containers. Each and every item was placed in ordered rows and checked off on Twilight’s list.

Mummy’s leaving… It was inescapable.

“Whooo.” Grey’s soft hoot broke the silence. Zero, times will you ever be alone.

Perched on the bedside table, Grey peered over a large tome, meeting her eyes.

“Who.” Zero, times you will ever be without me.

“Thank you.”

A dim glow formed on Grey’s crafted horn and the page turned. A hint of pride stirred in Little Star’s heart. She had made that. She had crafted the very thing that allowed Grey to work magic. Could I make ones for the rest of my friends.

Wooden wings covered Grey’s avain face. “Whooo.” Zero, times has it been wise to give the Crusaders magic.

“Ah… but…”

One, time I will help you with this madness.

A thrill of excitement dances in her chest. “This is…” The feeling slipped. “You think this is madness?”

Grey nodded.

"... Ponyfeathers."

One, time I have cautioned you about your language.

"Sorry."

Zero, times have I minded, but your mother may be less understanding.

“Do you know where mummy is going?”

Grey's magic floated over a globe. With a flick of her wing, she spun it. As it slowed, she rested her wooden talon upon it.

“Griffonstone?”

“Whoo,” Grey nodded.

“That makes the meat make more sense. They don’t look as tasty as the Nightguard treats.” Little Star licked her lips. “Why do the Nightguard always laugh when they see me with one?”

“Whoo who.”

“Oh, so most unicorns don't like keeping up with that part of their diet?”

“Who Whoop.”

“They’re damaging their magical development by not getting enough protein and trace nutrition.”

Grey nodded.

“Should I?”

A quill dance over a scroll. The grey aura guiding it through beautiful calligraphy

Line by line, a spell Little Star had never seen before revealed itself on the page.

“Transmutation. This bit will … oh… it will still be the same food, but will look and taste however I want it to?”

“Whoo.”

“Thank you.” Little Star leapt from the bed and wrapped her closest friend in a hug.


The oatcake levitated in the air. Little Star focused. It was ice cream. Ice cream, ice cream, ice cream.

A jolt rippled along her horn and the oatcake plopped to the floor, splatting like the warm ice cream it now was.

“Note one: Always perform spell over a suitable container for food’s new form. Note two: The spell is unable to alter the temperature of food.”

“Note three.” A yawn overtook Little Star’s whole body. Her hoof raised to cover her mouth.

“Note three: Time for sleep.”

The waking world fled from her senses before her head even hit the pillow.


Quills scratched on paper, and pages rustled as they turned. The soothing sounds escorted Little Star’s mind to a semblance of awareness.

"Are you sure this is the wisest course?" A musical voice said.

Is that Mummy Luna putting on a silly voice? Little Star opened her eyes or tried to. She tried to lift her hoof to her face, again, nothing happened. There was no sensation of motion. Why can’t I move? Mummy?

Don't be scared. Grey’s familiar voice spoke in her mind.

Grey?

“Whooo.” Yes

“You're making owl sounds now? That's so unbecoming.” Not Mummy Luna said.

“Zero, times have I cared what you thought.” Grey’s monotone voice replied.

“Just remember our arrangement.” Not Mummy said. Hoof steps sounded on wood, moving away.

A warm foreleg warped around her and pulled her into a hug. The soft chime of magic reached Little Star’s ears. A book creaked open and Grey began to read. “Daring Do, her broken wing pressed against her side galloped through the forest…”


Little Star blinked. She was suddenly, inexplicably, wide awake.

“Whoo.” Grey perched upon the bedside table. Her talon delicately turned the page.

Little Star glanced towards the title. ‘Daring Do and the Forest of Doom’ Was it all just a dream? All the things she felt, being paralysed, not even breathing. Little Star nodded to herself. It had to be.

Her eyes went back to Grey. “Morning.” She hopped out of bed with a smile on her face.

Squelch. The smile fell as an icky squirmy feeling crept up her leg. “Oatcake ice cream…”


With a flash of magic, she reappeared in the main bathroom above the scented water.

“Little Star,” Twilight called out in shock.

“Mummy.” Little Star replied as gravity reasserted itself.

Twilight's comforting aura caught her before she even fell a hoof width and pulled her into a hug. Her mother’s breathing slowed from her panic.

Twilight nuzzled her daughter. “So, my Little Star, why did you teleport above my bath?”

She knew this one. “Because if you teleport into water, it rapidly displaces the water.”

“So that’s why the floor was wet the other day?”

“That can’t be. I gathered all the water…”

Her mother's eyes twinkled. “So you have been teleporting into my bath.”

With a small nod, Star gave her answer. “I was performing an experiment…”

“An experiment?”

“Yes, Mummy. We were working on how the exit energy and the shape of the spell array altered the volume displaced and the imparted velocity.”

“I trust you have been recording your findings.”

A series of rapid nods was Star’s only reply.

“Good, you up for writing me a full report on your findings?”

“Yes, Mummy.” Little Star beamed. “Does this mean I can run more experiments?”

Twilight chuckled and nuzzled Little Star. Twilight’s damp coat dragged against Star’s. The sensation was so different from its normal silken smoothness.

Emerald Shade’s magic brushed against Little Star’s horn just before the sound of water moving reached her ears. Little Star’s head followed her sense. A familiar green mane rose from the surface, parting to reveal Emerald’s smiling face.

One of Little Star’s ears lowered as she tilted her head in confusion. “What were you doing, hiding under the water?”

“I was trying to surprise your mother.”

“Oh... sorry for spoiling your prank.”

Emerald smiled, licking her lips. “It is fine, Little Star. How about I go and make some cookies for you and your mother?”

“Cookies!”

Twilight let out a light laugh. “You know you’re going to spoil her…” Twilight’s eyes tracked to the thick goopy mass dripping from Little Star’s coat. “What is this?”

“An oatcake I tried to turn into ice cream.”

“A new spell?”

“Yes.” Little Star energetically nodded.

“Well, let’s get you cleaned up, and you can tell me all about it.”

With a flash of magic, many sponges, brushes, cloths and every pony cleaning device Little Star could think of appeared around them.

Twilight chuckled. “Somepony’s eager.”


Little Star nestled into the warmth of her mother’s coat, her forehooves warped around her mother’s neck. Don’t go, please don’t go. A small part of her mind hoping despite hope that if she just held on for long enough, her mother would stay.

Twilight strode through the castle. Almost everypony they approached eye’s lit up, and they stood a little straighter. Even the injured ones smiled. Each pony they passed was given a nod or smile in greeting. To a few, she offered the reassuring touch of a wing or hoof.

“Would you like to spend some time reading together?”

“Yes, can I pick the book, Mummy?”

“Naturally, so if you head back to your room and get them ready, I will be along soon.”

“Alright.”

Little Star brushed her hoof along the crystal wall. Can you take me to my room, please? In less than a blink, she was back in her room.

Grey bowed her head in greeting. Nine, seconds before you should be scrying on your mother.

The scrying spell formed as easily as breathing. The form, the intent, rotate the array just so and apply power. The magic window opened before relieving her mother in the ruins of the town.

Twilight strode towards a pony. “Starlight, good I was hoping to catch you before I left.”

“Twilight.” Starlight replied as she dropped in to bow.

“Rise, you don’t need to bow to me Starlight, we are friends.”

“In case you have not noticed, you’ve been playing the Princess Card quite heavily...”

Twilight sighed. “Yes, yes I have, but it’s what the ponies need.”

“So what do you need, Twilight?”

“I have a favour to ask.”

“…”

“This can be a simple favour, or a royal job offer.”

“I…”

Twilight held up a hoof. “Hear me out before you answer.”

Starlight levelled a hard look at Twilight before she nodded.

“I want you to run magic classes for the town. You are the most skilled unicorn I know.” Twilight smirked. “Not to mention when it comes to raw magical power, only Alicorns exceed you.”

Starlight nodded slowly.

“Start with basic defensive spells, then add whatever healing and offensive spells you think they can each manage.”

“You want me to train everypony to fight.”

“Yes.”

“You know that most ponies here are not fighters, they’re not guards.”

“I know, I also know our foes won’t care. Use your best judgment who to teach what, but I want everypony with a horn able to at least hold off two foes for five minutes.”

Starlight just stared at Twilight. “You know this is going to require teaching them spells they’re not legally allowed to know?”

Twilight nodded. “The paperwork is already in order.”

“You thought of everything.”

“Yes… even this.”

Starlight tilted her head in confusion.

Trixie happily trotted in, a simple illusion spell hiding the two new stripes in her mane.

“One of your two personal students.”

Starlight’s eyes widened then narrowed. “You’re leaving her here?”

“Yes, I could use her how she is now.” Twilight’s voice lowered. “I know you love her, therefore I give you this chance to prepare her for the challenges ahead.”

“Are you using me or doing me a favour?”

Twilight rubbed the back of her neck, a sheepish smile on her face. “A little bit of both, I’m ashamed to say.”

“Well, at least you're honest…”

“I only do what I have to...” Twilight’s muzzle dipped towards the ground. With a pop of magic, a scroll flashed into existence. “Starlight… Read this.”

Starlight’s eyes widened then she gasped, falling back to her haunches.

“And now you see…” Twilight’s eyes locked with Starlight’s. “I have to stop this blight.” Twilight’s head fell again. “And if I have to spend lives to do it… I will.”

“Twilight…”

“I know you think I am unstable, I’m a monster, and you’re right.”

Starlight went to speak. Twilight silenced her with a wingtip over her mouth.

“I have a mission, a target and a duty. After all this is done, we can sit down with hot chocolate with marshmallows in and we can talk.”

Starlight nodded solemnly.

“Good.”

“Who’s the other special student?”

“Oh, my daughter.”

“You want me to?”

“I can’t think of anypony better. In a lot of ways your spellcraft is more refined than mine.”

“It comes from not being an Alicorn…”

Twilight looked over her shoulder at just the right angle to look straight into the scrying spell. “Just make sure you give her solid rules on when each spell should not be used.”

“Of course.” Starlight paused for a few seconds. “Have You seen what she turned those toys into?”

“Yes, I’m quite proud of her progress in item enchanting.”

“You know what they do?”

Twilight nodded. “She made tools appropriate for the threat level.”

“But, she’s just a foal.”

“A foal that held off those that had captured me and teleported both of us across the nation.”

“That was her? But she was not there in the...”

“She was using an advanced stealth spell, one that I’m not even sure how she learned.”

“How?”

“I think she has the potential to be a better spellcaster than either of us in time.”

“Really?”

“Just have a good look at even the simple items she created, really break down how she did it and then make your mind up.”


What did those lists of place names and numbers mean… and why were some of them crossed out? Little Star wondered.

Grey’s softly glowing eyes dimmed. Her horn lit, a grey aura lifting a quill and writing a simple name and number. With a wing, she pointed to the number.

“Ponyville..” Star stopped, that number… that was the number of ponies that died.

“So many…” she did not know any of them, “Were they good ponies?”

Grey dipped her head in a slow nod.

“And the places crossed out are gone, aren’t they?”

“Whoo.”

“And mummies leaving to stop this…”

“Whoo.”

Little Star wiped the tears from her eyes. “Then I need to show her I can be a big pony… That I’ll be alright so she can go out and save everypony.”


“Hey? What's wrong, Star?” Scootaloo said, casually hovering in the air.

“Mummy’s leaving… if I can work out a spell to destroy all the evil monsters in Equestria, she won't have to go.”

“That’s a mighty big thing to try and do….” Applebloom said.

“Leave it to the grown-ups.” Crash said

“But I can help…”

“Yeah.” Crash waved a wing. “But unless you know the plans of all the Princesses, don’t try to do anything so big, you might mess up. “

Little Star thought about it. Any large scale spell like that could affect many things. Just that level of magical energy rippling out would have unintended consequences… An image of Candice’s charred form flashed through her mind. The smell of burnt flesh invaded her nose.

“Just deal with the threats in front of you.”

Just deal with the threats in front of me… Little Star’s mind danced with the possibilities of augmenting a certain ‘cleaning’ spell she knew.


PreviousChapters Next