• Published 11th Sep 2019
  • 18,705 Views, 3,596 Comments

Twilight's Nightmare - Nightsclaw



Twilight in her most desperate of moments, issues a cry for help. She was not expecting the Nightmare to be her saviour.

  • ...
61
 3,596
 18,705

PreviousChapters Next
CH 45 Final Preparations 


Noble Guide let his eyes roam from the crude wooden interior of the wagon to the distant horizon. The blue sky was pristine. After his little mistake, every cloud was suspect. Celestia’s blinding sun gazed down, offering comfort to all that would believe her lies.

Closer to the ground, two dozen of his guards formed a perimeter around the wagons. Noble Guide’s bits had ensured they had top-notch equipment. Literally, the best money could buy. As with all things new, this force was unfortunately untested. Their origins did not do wonders to add to his confidence. They were a mix of mercenaries and those who had failed to meet the royal guards’ stringent standards.

Ever since Princess Twilight’s rampage across Canterlot and sentencing of a whole noble family, there was little work for those that would offer their talent for direct and permanent problem solving to unethical nobles. At least that kept their asking prices affordable.

The wagon shifted, his frail body tossed around like a plaything by the unpaved trail. His seat’s cushioning did little to protect his aching body from every little bump on the ground. It was his own fault. Celestia has requisitioned every bit of air transport in Canterlot for the good of the nation. I should have ordered a road built. His hoof rubbed the latest hurt. No doubt there would be another bruise under his coat tomorrow.

He let out a slow sigh and peered back to see how the others would negotiate the obstacle his wagon almost lost a wheel to. Nine other wagons trailed his, each laden with supplies and crafters.

Armoured earthponies ranged ahead. Anything that might have blighted hiding in, behind or under was thoroughly investigated, often with repeated probes with bladed weapons.

A few muttered words between the guards summoned some of the earthponies. With their board back and powerful legs barely straining, they lifted the other overloaded wagons. In short order, each was conveyed past the hole as easily as if they were empty. The sheer amount of physical power they have… Magic was always his preferred solution, his favoured tool, his mastered weapon, but there was definitely something to be said for raw, brutal might.

He leant his head back. The small grunts of exertion and armour grating against wood was not a relaxing accompaniment to his daydreams. The things I will do with the other tribes’ abilities…

The wheels creaked as they fought over the uneven ground. His eyes found the wide-open sky again. If Princess Twilight’s performance is anything to go by, I am going to have to find a flight instructor… It was not an insurmountable problem. The question was who could be trusted to keep it quiet. Training an Alicorn to fly would definitely be memorable at least. Nothing a little mind magic could not solve.

The skies lay open, inviting. It taunted him, emphasising his miss calculation with Twilight. If she had not escaped, he would be up there now, not trapped in this box. He would already be an Alicorn and he would have never needed his backup plans. This Blight would never have been released.

In the distance, an airship separated from Canterlot. Its ponderous motions, slow and graceful, completely at odds with the urgency of its mission. No doubt it was full of guards and supplies. A small flock of pegasi flitted around the ship, a living screen against any aerial blighted.

With so much of the nation locked down, food would soon be an issue. Each major settlement was meant to have an extra store for emergency use. He shook his head. Most only existed on paper now. It was such an easy way to save money. At least Canterlot’s stores fell under direct royal control and not a greedy bit grabbing noble.

He settled down, finding what comfort he could in the crude transportation. He closed his eyes. I’m going to have a long night.

He had just managed to fall asleep when the distinct tone of a heavy crossbow sounded. His ears twitched, a prey species instincts rousing him to full alertness. His mind reached for his dark magic flailing around and finding nothing.

The first shot was followed by another and another as the guards fired upon the threat.

His wagon lurched. The sudden stop almost hurling him from the bench. Outside, hooves and wings lept into frantic motion. Armour clanked, and weapons rattled. The repetitive wringing sounds of the heavy crossbows being reloaded added to the medley of conflict.

It was over in seconds. The sound of the brief engagement quieted, replaced by crisp orders getting everypony back in place, preparing to move out.

Noble Guide let out the breath he did not know he was holding. The tingle of power in his horn receded.

"Check it," a gruff voice ordered. The old bird might be past his prime, but his experience made the others far more effective and stopped at least some stupid mistakes, like assuming something was dead just because it stopped moving.

So far, they had been encountering them in ones and twos. Nothing his paid-for defenders could not manage. The problem was the blighted seemed to be learning.

A bellowing roar flattened his ear to his skull. His whole body recoiled, cowering in the ‘safety’ of the wagon.

His heart pounded in his chest, his limbs trembled. Unbidden, his hoof leapt towards the hilt of his dagger. A quick cut, a lot of pain and his full abilities would be free. No, I can't.

The alarmed shouts were nothing but mindless sounds to his abused ears. The griffon’s commanding voice ordered something almost audible over the monster.

A roar of flames silenced the beast. The flames continued for a long minute. The air became stiflingly hot as the nauseating stench of burnt flesh brought a grimace to his muzzle, but he endured. As his hearing recovered, the sound of dry retching announced some nearby did not. As much as it alarmed his senses, it was nowhere near as overpowering as the scent of blood and the raw organs he had harvested from Twilight.

His hoof pressed over his still racing heart. He chuckled to himself. Even now, with the monster dead, his Tartarus damned body wanted to run, to flee. He would not fall prey to a simple fear effect no matter how well it played upon his instincts. Mentally he offered his respects to Nightmare Moon, she was a true master of her craft. Everything about the blight was perfectly tailored to divert resources and spread terror.

Even with his mind calmed and back under control, his weak mortal flesh still demanded he run, he refused. Instead drew a small vile adding a few drops to his flask. He took a long draft, wincing slightly. One of these days he would find something that would make the concoction palatable.

He poked his head outside. A Canterlot beauty stood head bowed to the sun before an unrecognisable charred mass. Her aura sporting a holy icon, a copy of Celestia’s cutie mark forged from the finest gold. The mare’s mouth moved in silent prayer. She did this for each and every blighted slain so far. It wasted time, but beggars could not be choosers and a solar and fire aligned unicorn was currently too much of an asset to pass up.

She rose, still looking as if she walked out of the spa. Her skirt of woven gold shimmered as she moved. Barding hugged her from, accenting her appeal. Her golden aura replaced her helmet, and there right under her horn, was another copy of Celestia’s mark. She had wanted a fortune upfront to properly equip herself, and it seemed most of it was spent on ornamentation.

That unicorn was worth the price she was charging. Even if she was a solar fanatic. In a way, her being here was Celestia’s fault. The mare was so inspired by the Princess’s speech she had to do something to help.

Celestia had 'blessed' all those that pledged to help. It was little more than a warming spell and her usual mind magic, but the foalish loved it. Those too cowardly or sensible to put themselves at risk rose to her call. One of these days, he would have to work out how that spell was made persistent.

"Flame Dancer, get your cute flank back on board. We don't have all day," The griffon’s sharp tone cried out.

"Yes, sir." She clambered to the roof of Noble Guide’s wagon. A moment later, an armoured hoof rapped twice on the roof, and the wagon continued on.

Even with the fire flinging sorceress guarding him, his hoof rubbed where the changeling's stone hid. She was untested, untrained and not somepony he felt he could depend upon. No matter how powerful you were, if you miss applied it, it could be your downfall.

He was not defenceless. He could be safe. He could have his power back. He shook his head, silently condemning himself. No, I’m being foalish. He straightened. Even if the guards could only catch fleeting glances of him, he still had a role to play, and play it he would.

He downed the rest of his flask. It was revolting, but the alchemy did its job. A warm sluggishness spread from his stomach. It soothed pains and slowed his heart. He had nothing to worry about. Any blighted Flame Dancer turned her power on would die.

Fear suppressed, he could see the facts clearly. The reports had been quite clear, Ponyville’s defenders had devastated the blighted in the area. So this should be more than enough security. Yet, could he trust that? That forsaken spell had gone completely out of control. Its creations were cunning enough to play dead or call out in sweet innocent voices for help. Now, if I wanted to maximise the terror and disruptions it caused, I would have it conceal powerful blighted in places that should be safe.

His mind worked on the problem. Anything that could kill all his guards and get to him before he could rip out the stones suppressing his magic was that far above his power, having access to it would not save him.

That settled, he let his mind consider what his first decrees should be. There is no way I can get rid of the other princesses before this infestation is dealt with.


The caravan rumbled past the sign, simple paint proclaiming the name Coltsdale. He would have to find out who renamed it from Safe Haven.

Even unfinished, it was little more than a mix of tents and the skeletons of buildings. The place bustled with life. Scared, fearful life that huddled together clutching anything that could be a weapon.

This place had not even been attacked, and yet the ponies here were almost paralysed with fear. He would have to give them a speech, turn the fearful to the inspired. The better this place looked, the more confident the ponies were of their safety, the more would come, the more would place their trust in him.

Mentally he bowed his head to them. They did not know it, but each of them would play their part, each of them would grant their strength to him, to Equestria itself. He would remember their names, their sacrifice deserved that much at least.

Flame Dancer's trained voice called out. Her words, uplifting and pious, captivated the gathering crowds. Normally Celestia tried to discourage that sort of behaviour. Now she was actively spreading it. She was manipulating ponies into being willing to give their lives for her with smiles on their faces. It was truly devious, but at least he would not need to make a speech.

Noble guide alighted from the wagon, dedicating himself to the mental labour of unloading the wagons. Smiles and respectful nods were offered from many ponies, but most ears still pointed towards Flame Dancer’s impromptu sermon.

It did not take a genius to see the effects she was having. Ears pricked, and heads turned. Flame Dancer walked amongst them, looking every bit one of Celestia’s chosen from ancient illustrations. Her dancer’s grace made her a sight to behold. The false confidence Celeista granted her spreading to the other ponies.

Around her, the sunlight seemed a little brighter. Its warmth soothing on his coat. Just the faintest hint of a familiar magic brushed against him, Noble did not glance up. Scrying? Are you simply this vain, Celestia? Or is Flame Dancer something more?

Between her and the supplies, hope would soon replace despair and resolve fear. He would just need to make sure she was out of the way when the time came. For now, Celestia’s propaganda and lies could be of use.


Hours later, Noble Guide rested, if only for a few moments. It made no sense how dock workers could do this all day. He wiped the moisture from his brow. What I would not give for the earthpony stamina right now.

Flame Dancer gracefully walked between the fatigued workers. Resting her hoof on each and sharing a few words with them. It was laughable how a few simple words could revitalise the workers. At least we might be finished before sundown.

She approached him, the same tender smile seemingly copied right from Celestia on her muzzle. She stepped close, so close the heat radiating from her body settled into his flesh. “You’re a good pony, Noble Guide. Your deeds here will be a shining example for centuries.” Her warm hoof rested against him, his fatigue receded, washed away by a pleasant warmth.

He could do nothing but stare. She did not light her horn, he felt no magic. Unbidden, the question escaped him. “How?”

“Those that serve Equestria receive Celestia’s blessings.” Her gracious smile truly made her beautiful. With a nod, she calmly walked to the next pony.

His eyes followed her. She was a performer, what did Celestia do to her.

“I think everypony can appreciate that flank.” The worker nearest him said. He nodded, keeping his own council on his thoughts.


Doing this now, with Flame Dancer about was a risk, but it had to be now. He was not going to get another chance to be here for who knows how long. Fortunately, she was fast asleep with guards to protect her. The defenders were all instructed to go to her and that old bird Garl should the Blighted show during the night. Still, he hated risks, Alicorns were not meant to play dice with fate.

The dark tunnel led downwards, its claustrophobic confines so narrow he could not turn. The roof so low he had to keep his head lowered, his horn forward as if ready to use it as a weapon. Loose earth smeared his coat as a few strands of his mane snagged against the hastily emplaced wooden bracing. Countless minor pains completely drowned out by the potions.

The familiar scent of blood reached his nose. He followed it to its source, the precious life fluid dripped down his back leg. Peering past his body, he could just make out a splinter of wood almost as long as his horn protruded from his flesh, still attached to the beam of wood holding the earth up above him.

He sighed. “It's one thing after another.” A simple cutting spell split it in half. That was the best he could do until he reached his destination.

This was not a torch-lit path to the final ritual chamber. All the little indigeneities Twilight and his own lack of foresight had cost him, this was just one more. But it was a lesson he needed to learn, needed to be reminded of. No matter how well you plan, no matter how much you are certain things will go one way, always be prepared for things to diverge, for things to go wrong.

With each step, each motion of his hindquarters, the wood twisted and tore at his muscle. It was surreal, even as he began to limp, there was still no pain. The weight around his neck, his only comfort. The pouch bounced into his chest with each step. Safely within, double wrapped with padding, were days worth of his ‘medication’, including two healing potions.

At this level of blood loss, I have about half an hour. He pressed on, a distressing amount of dampness matting his coat.

Finally, blessedly, the space around him expanded. The large underground chamber was crudely hacked out of the earth. The wooden braces that held the roof up were more than ramshackle, but that need not matter. A perfectly smooth sheet of obsidian made up the floor.

He stumbled into the chamber, almost collapsing on his side, his neck craning around and examining his wound. It was a horrible wound, made worse by his journey to get here. Most of the damage is internal, so it should be concealed by the coat.

He placed the pouch on the ground, carefully emptying it and lining up the vials and bottles. Selecting the two expensive healing potions. Every cleansing spell he knew, he ran over the pouch. He removed the stoppers from both vials and inhaled a steadying breath. He was going to need to be quick.

Carefully his aura extracted the foreign body, pulling the spike of wood into the air. Blood pulsed out, now flowing freely. His hoof lifted one open vile, his magic lifting half the contents of the other. He downed one and his aura forced the orb of healing liquid deep into the wound.

Without pain, the sensation was simply bizarre. His aura pulled the edges of the wound together, and his hoof pressed the sterilised pouch over the wound. He pressed down with as much force as he could manage.

“Nearly undone by a bit of wood.” His words and bitter laugh resonated around the ritual chamber.

He rested his head upon the cool obsidian. He would give it half an hour, that's all the time he could spare for his wound to mend. He drank the rest of his medication, it was a little early, but he desperately needed the fluids to help make up for the lost blood. A simple alarm spell would wake him when it was time.


His head swam, thoughts flowed slowly as his world remained dark despite his eyes being open. His horn lit, reflecting from the smooth surface of the stone. “The ritual preparation.” He nodded to himself and forced himself to his hooves. The dried blood matted in his coat pulled and tugged with the motion. He carefully worked the pouch free, revealing the now closed wound. Stretching the limb, it moved smoothly enough, so it would suffice.

Using a simple rock carving spell, he set to work. His magic traced the most complex spell array he had ever attempted for the second time in his life. Even since he had first discovered this ritual it had been indelibly etched into his mind. For the first one, he had the luxury of weeks, this time he had mere hours.

With every ounce of focus he could muster, he blocked out everything but his task. Each line, each mark he laid with utmost perfection.

He blinked back to awareness, his trancelike state faded. Before him, the fruits of his many hours of labour was complete. The wondrous work of magic and the right sacrifices was all that was required to elevate a pony to Alicornhood.

Soon, he would ascend. Soon he would make Equestria his. He would destroy the Blighted, end the changeling threat and remove the parasites calling themselves nobles. It would all be worth it. A smile contorted his stolen features.

It would not be long until he had enough of all three tribes gathered. He had more than enough earthponies, but finding pegasi to was proving to be more problematic.

How had Princess Celestia managed to disappear the hundreds of ponies needed for Twilight’s and Cadance’s ascensions? Did she simply make everypony forget about their existence? Did she climb the tallest tower of Canterlot and work her mental magic over the entire nation? Did she reach out through the sun and affect the whole world?

Could she simply make a whole village or small town vanish? Was that why there were roads that let nowhere and long ruined buildings in the wilderness? Evidence of those sacrificed for Celestia’s and Luna's own ascensions?

A mighty yawn fought free of him, echoing around the chamber. All his strength, all his energy fled as if flowing out of him. The rough wall was the only thing that stopped him falling. It would be so tempting to just lay down and sleep.

His eyes found the narrow passage, the one escape from the now complete ritual chamber. He groaned. How things would be so simple if I could just teleport.


Star light lit his way as the moon hid behind escorted clouds. The night air caressed his still damp coat. His body shivered, the cold ached in his bones. A bucket of water was not his preferred method to shed the blood, mud and rock dust from his body. At least the simple soaps scent was inoffensive to his nose.

Even at this time, hundreds of ponies still worked. The ones he hired and those that had recently moved in. Unicorns layered spells upon the hastily formed earthen walls. Ponies with crossbows looked out into the darkness, vigilant for any threats.

The scent of roasting vegetables and fried hay wafted past. The crude attempt at food tempted his stomach even as he continued on.

An older stallion laboured on carving stone. The delicate form of an alicorn slowly being coaxed out of the raw rock. Each strike of the chisel was an act of love. Even here in Noble Guide’s place of triumph, he would not be free of the image of Celestia.

He smiled and nodded, playing his part. He was just a faithful servant for Celestia doing what he could for Equestria and her ponies. Or so the worker and, more importantly, Flame Dancer had to keep believing.

Finally, he got to his destination. His rooms were barely furnished and the windows and doorways were simple holes in the walls. It had a roof and was warm enough, so it would do.

The chest he brought with him stood out. Its fine craftwork leagues above anything for miles around it.

As soon as his aura touched it, the lock clicked. He quickly grabbed what he needed. Two more potions downed and a mouthful of herbs to chew on, and he was done. Noble Guide staggered to the simple mattress on the floor and collapsed. It might have well been the finest enchanted feathers, not the simple staw it was.

The void of dreamless sleep almost claimed him before his head hit the bundled cloth acting as a blanket.


PreviousChapters Next